German Tuner Wants to Build GT Sport's Beetle Gr.3 Race Car

Isn’t the Beetle built on the same platform, MQB maybe, anyway? My A3 Quattro shares the same platform but it’s FWD first and AWD as need if I’m not completely mistaken. I never dived deep into technicalities though so I might be wrong.

I don't think its such a hardware issue - you could just remove the front drive-shafts to make it RWD, but the software that controls the electronics to shift power front to back as needed, is programmed to work with the Haldex AWD system. You are just going to give yourself headaches trying to work around that. Lifting the entire driveline and associated electronic systems from the RS3/TTRS and keeping it as standard as possible (aside from any engine tuning) is the simplest way, especially when you've got so many other hurdles to get over with the bodywork etc.

This is actually interesting to look into. Right off, I feel a reasonably conditioned 2015 Mustang with the V8 could be attainable (Doesn't even need to be the premium version).

If the V8 can be tuned up to match the Gr.3 car's performance it would be a convenient place to start, otherwise it probably makes more sense to source a cheaper V6 model. It's unfortunate that PD won't tell us what the engine displacement for the in-game car is.

EoJr4KNXMAIfXiP

Our neighbor built some crazy beetles back in the day. They were one of the first to stuff a VR6 back in 98 when they first came out. They do crazy stuff with Golf R's as well.

I don't know if I miss the lightbars on the fenders or don't. I like them on the original car, but It still looks cool without them.

Last edited:
Definitely the light strips that made this one so interesting to me, so ideally it gets them added.

Doing some cross-check here...
This is something JP quickly discovered to be an issue. In order to recreate the car as much as possible, he needed the vehicle design drawings and approached his contacts at Volkswagen. That’s when he found out that VW had almost nothing to do with the car, but eventually he was able to get the data he needed from a Sony studio in Los Angeles — which we assume to be the GT Explore studio.

This seems to contradict what Kazuki "YAM" Yamada said at the 2019 Japan National Sports Festival Esports finals stream that Volkswagen designed the Beetle Gr.3 themselves. I wonder who's in the right here - a possibility could be VW designers doing the minimal/basic work (but must be so much that the Beetle Gr.3's design language varies wildly vs. other fictional Gr.3 cars) together with PD Explore Studio.

Last edited:
If i was a billionaire I would commisson all seven Gr3 road cars.

Obviously the Mustang and Corvette type Gt3 bodykits isnt so hard to make but the Mazda 6 rwd and coupe conversion may be hard...

If i was a billionaire I would commisson all seven Gr3 road cars.

Obviously the Mustang and Corvette type Gt3 bodykits isnt so hard to make but the Mazda 6 rwd and coupe conversion may be hard...
Being a billionaire would make it a LOT easier, lol.

If I had that kind of money, I'd want to build my own version of Grand Valley Speedway, Trial Mountain, Deep Forest Raceway, or Autumn Ring.

Latest Posts

Back