Get caught street racing? Get your car crushed!

  • Thread starter Thread starter flohtingPoint
  • 84 comments
  • 3,481 views
emad
I like this law but they should extend it a bit. Hit the drunk drivers as well since, after all, they're responsible for even more traffic fatalities than the racers. Both habits are equally dangerous for everyone on the road so why not punish them both the same way?

edit: i didn't read through all the posts... i'm guessing someone already mentioned this?

Why street racing though? You know, you can get a ticket for street racing while staying UNDER the speed limit. That leads in to getting tickets for hardcore acceleration, and if they can crush your car for accelerating fast, then they SHOULD crush your car for speeding! See...the punishment is just plain retarded.
 
Or, race but dont get caught. Getaway in Stockholm style.
 
TsLeng
Back on topic, crushing a car for street racing is blatant wastage. 👎

Why does everyone miss the overall point. Street Racing is a something that is committed with full intentions. Nobody street races by accident. Its not like, oops, sorry officer, I had no idea I was street racing. Its premeditated. Murder, when premeditated, is the highest degree of the crime, and recieves a deeper punishment, same with street-racing. You could argue, and say, well, I run red lights on purpose, or I run stop signs on purpose. You know what, thats you, most of us just miss them, its an accident, they citation awarded is to help us remember to be more aware.

As for drunk driving, oh yea they should have their car smashed, no doubt about that. Drunk driving, along with street racing, are probably the two most childish things you can do in a vehicle.
 
The punishment doesn't fit the crime. Anyone who approves of this statute needs to drop the stupid holier-than-thou attitude.

You could argue, and say, well, I run red lights on purpose, or I run stop signs on purpose. You know what, thats you, most of us just miss them, its an accident, they citation awarded is to help us remember to be more aware.

I'd wager that many, many more innocent people have died because of inattentive idiotic drivers than street racing. I don't care if you run red lights or stop signs by mistake; if you're behind the wheel barreling down a public road in a 1.5 ton hunk of metal and plastic, you should be 100% focused on the task at hand. NO EXCUSES. One can easily argue that not being attentive is actually FAR WORSE than street racing. Police should definitely seize your car and crush it in that case. I bet you'd learn to pay attention real quick.











See, anyone can be a heartless bastard.
 
So let me get this straight. You drag or road race on the streets, your car is going to get crushed. Am I right?

And I'll agree to points made earlier. Just because you street race and have your car crushed doesn't mean the same driver isn't going to do the same to someone else. What if the car is bone stock? What if the only modification to the car is air freshener? I'm not going to offend drivers with flagrant disregard to obeying to street racing rules, but the car is completely innocent. The driver is to blame, not the car. If your girlfriend/boyfriend cheated on you with someone else, who are you going to accuse? The one she/he cheated on, or the boyfriend/girlfriend? Think of it like this. The driver drives the car. The car does what the driver tells it to do. The driver floors the gas and goes faster than fast, jeaprodizing lives including his/her own. Then the car crashes or surrenders to police. Who's to blame? The driver or the car? Let me tell you something. The God-forsaken car didn't do anything. And if a sorry-ass driver pushes the car to do more than what it's supposed to do on the road, it's a damn shame when the car gets crushed. An illegal street racer can ride in anything ranging from a Geo Metro to a Ferrari Enzo. The car didn't do anything. Even if it has a specialized body kit, it didn't do a G** damned thing. The driver drives the car, so if he/she thinks he/she is above the law, that person's going to the big house. Either that or get fined. But don't tell me that a car is to blame for a driver's error. That's bulls***. The only time a car is to blame is if something fails in the brakes, the motor, or loses traction. Other than that, more than 95% of a street racer's actions are attributed to the driver, not the car. But if people are going to do that to cars, then go right ahead. Just remember, though. It's the driver, not the car. If the driver screws up and the car spins out and smashes into the glass windows of a fancy restaurant, who's to blame? Let's use our heads here, people. We don't need NASCAR on the streets.
 
I ama completely against this law. I'd rather they get locked up for a period of time and their licence taken off them for a few years.

Thing is. If some dipwad streetraces in say the original Ferrari F50 GT (unlikely but still), the car gets crushed - now there are no F50 GT's left in the world. Only two others that were made up of parts. In situations like that this rule thingy really ruins things for everyone.

Punish the driver, not the car!
 
Agreed.

BTW if the car is special e.g. a one off they wont crush it, they will just send it to a museum. Like they do with firearms.
 
it may be better to confiscate them and sell them on police auctions... that way they get money out of it and get the driver to lose his/her car
 
I think that the government confiscating any kind of property that you legally own is wrong in itself. Flat out, the law is not uniform, and it punishes people differently depending on the cost of their car, which is also wrong. Think about this from a LEGAL standpoint, and you'll see it's completely FUBARed.
 
If they start crushing cars for street racing why dont they: Cut the hands off people who shop lift, give 5-10 years of drunk drivers or burn the house of a crackhead
 
This law is crazy. You can't crush someone's car for street racing (or doing anything else illegal, for that matter). I'm by no means for street racing, but i'm not exactly against it, either. Punish street racers. Fine them. Throw them in jail for a couple weeks. But if innocent civilians get hurt or killed, book em'. Put the racers up for the toughest punishment possible.

If you crush someone's car, it will have complications. It could financially ruin the person for their lifetime.
You also have to consider the fact that not everyone has access to proper racing facilities. It could cost lots of $$, be many hours away, or not operate on a regular basis. This, I believe, is a primary cause for street racing. You get a track or drag strip in enough places, and frequently enough, and street racing will disappear.
 
I'd support auctioning off the cars, not crushing them, why should the car be punished for its owners stupidity, and saying that the cars shouldn't auctioning it off could lead to another street racer buying it is like saying fast cars shouldn't be made or sold because because a street racer could buy it.

Like JohnBM01 said, the owner commited the crime, not the car. Does the car have a choice about whether to street race or not? No. So should it be punished by being crushed? No.
 
My worry about auctioning or crushing cars is that power hungry cops may abuse it.
 
So if this policy is true, I guess if someone stabs or shoots the holy hell out of someone, I guess the gun or the knife should get 25 to life if the offender uses them. I guess the cigarette should be responsible for putting all those foul ingredients in the smoker's system, eventually killing the smoker. Not a good idea to do that to the cars, even if they are butt-ugly. And like I said, the driver drives the car and makes the car the weapon. Cars can't talk, go to jail, testify under oath, pay fines, or have DNA testing. So this is the worst idea since low rise jeans for men (how many MEN want to show off their belly in their fashion except for the fashionable type?).

All jokes aside, if this were a Proposition, vote "no."
 
Mustang-man
I ama completely against this law. I'd rather they get locked up for a period of time and their licence taken off them for a few years.

Thing is. If some dipwad streetraces in say the original Ferrari F50 GT (unlikely but still), the car gets crushed - now there are no F50 GT's left in the world. Only two others that were made up of parts. In situations like that this rule thingy really ruins things for everyone.

Punish the driver, not the car!

Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

After reading some new threads on this topic, I would now have to agree with Mustang-Man. Crushing a car just seem to heartbreaking for the owner. License taken away for a few years locked up for a period of time sounds reasonable like he put it.

And I also agree with Johnny about not being the car's fault, its the DRIVER! :O

*gets a nightmare of a McLaren F1 getting crushed for street racing* :(
*Takes off her jacket to reveal an "S" for Supergirl and flies off to save the McCutey!*

:( I cried a bit when I received the news that Christopher Reeves died...He died a true hero! No matter how miserable his life is, he never stop fighting. Just like the way he played Clark/Superman in all of his Superman movie. A good role model for all! 👍
 
Chevelle SS
I'd support auctioning off the cars, not crushing them

As lovely an idea as I think it is to auction a seized vehicle right back into its lawbreaking owner's hands, it might not fly in some jurisdictions.
 
Wow, M5Power, I thought you were long gone! You said you'd be gone for good or something in your signature once, but if you're back, welcome back! Can we get some "Welcome Back, Kotter" music in this joint?

It's also nice for McLaren'sAngel to exhibit her childish imagination to save her baby boy, the McLaren F1. By the way, Lady McLaren, welcome to the "GTP Enthusiast" club (300 posts).

Say what you will about the "worst thing since low rise jeans for men" thing, but this car crushing thing is crap. And if there really is a "no exceptions" deal to this, I'm sure everything from a Mini Cooper to a (I hate to say this, but) McLaren F1 will be crushed if the DRIVER commits the crime. You dig? As drivers can learn to illegally race, so too can they learn NOT to do such a thing. So answer me this. The driver illegally races, the car ends up crushed, how is the person supposed to go around town instead of hijacking some little girl's Barbie Power Wheels or a "Spongebob Square Pants" bicycle? As I said, cars are more than just cars. Some consider cars to be more than just transportation. In fact, some consider them more like home away from home. You crush that, you have no idea what you just ruined for the offender. It means money down the drain and a multitude of swear words.

This is just a bad call.
 
I think some of you are fixated with the crushing of the cars and ignoring the real issue at hand, which is ownership of the vehicle.

Suppose I race someone for pinks at an illegal race. I win. His car is mine. At this point, if I want to drive it, sell it or crush it, it is my call, not the original owner's. The fact that it'd be dumb for me to crush a car I can readily sell is besides the point. It's mine and I can do with it as I please.

Similarly, the state (or county) can crush the cars because they have been seized. Whatever legal process the state has taken to deprive the owner of his property has already occured. It is now in forfeiture and belongs to whatever government agency has jurisiction over the crime.

So now what the government then decides to do with the cars is not up to the owner. It is up to the citizens of the county or state.

Thus the question isn't really "should the county or state be allowed to crush cars" but rather "should the county or state punish street racing by impounding, then seizing his/her car."

If you are pondering this question at this point, let me point out that many states and counties already punish other motoring crimes by impounding and/or seizing the vehicle; reckless driving and DUI being two that come to mind.

I don't have a problem with this from a moral or legal standpoint. If we take cars away from people for drunk or reckless driving, we can sure as hell do it for street racing. The cars should be sold off and the funds redirected into a campaign to reduce street racing or a charity for victims. If crushing an occasional car is a sensible step within that campaign, so be it. That is justice, folks.


M
 
ShobThaBob
I think that the government confiscating any kind of property that you legally own is wrong in itself. Flat out, the law is not uniform, and it punishes people differently depending on the cost of their car, which is also wrong. Think about this from a LEGAL standpoint, and you'll see it's completely FUBARed.

Does that mean you're against taxation? Money is property.


M
 
why stop with racers? why don't we crush the car of everyone who speeds. They're breaking the law too.
 
super cirrus
why stop with racers? why don't we crush the car of everyone who speeds. They're breaking the law too.

Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Well, um...I really think that someone racing is more dangerous than someone who is speeding. When someone is racing someone, the chances of hurting oneself and others will RISE! :scared: And there are times when the two racers don't know when to stop letting go of the gas until someone is able to pull away far.

While if you are just a speeder, it is less dangerous than racing on the street. So, the chances of danger is less but still dangerous anyways. Just think about all the cut-offs and lane changed that will occur. Imagine how a speeder would be going around compared to two people racing on the street.! :O :scared:

P.S. Next step for GTplanet status....1000 POST! :O:O:O
 
well they're both illegal and they both cause deaths.
 
More power to you, McLaren kitty. Holla back!
 
super cirrus
why stop with racers? why don't we crush the car of everyone who speeds. They're breaking the law too.

Still fixated on the crushing? See my previous post.

We do impound the cars of those people that are speeding. In most states, if you are going 35+ over the limit, it can be considered reckless driving and the police will arrest you. Do this enough times or in the wrong jurisiction and your car will be seized.

If you are not going that fast, then its a less serious crime. Because the crime is less serious, the punishment should be less severe. We wouldn't punish shoplifters by executing them and we wouldn't punish murder by issuing a $50 fine.


super cirrus
well they're both illegal and they both cause deaths.

Let's not try to pretend that street racing is the same thing as speeding. I think anyone can see that it isn't. Certainly, the law does.


M
 
///M-Spec
Still fixated on the crushing? See my previous post.

We do impound the cars of those people that are speeding. In most states, if you are going 35+ over the limit, it can be considered reckless driving and the police will arrest you. Do this enough times or in the wrong jurisiction and your car will be seized.

If you are not going that fast, then its a less serious crime. Because the crime is less serious, the punishment should be less severe. We wouldn't punish shoplifters by executing them and we wouldn't punish murder by issuing a $50 fine.




Let's not try to pretend that street racing is the same thing as speeding. I think anyone can see that it isn't. Certainly, the law does.


M

Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I agree with you! :O :cheers:
 
Back