Get rid of game save protection!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gamerwillz
  • 47 comments
  • 3,901 views
I had a crash after winning a B-Spec event. It didn't corrupt my save it lost the entire thing. It reset me back to a brand new save with nothing. I lost a lvl 20 A and a lvl 13 B. Plus everything else. It took 5 days before I had the motivation to play again. I work long hours and I can't afford to lose that much of a time investment.
 
I wouldn't spend money on something to backup my saves, considering they're tiny and all you really need is a 10MB USB stick to transfer them to your PC.
 
There was a way around this when you wanted to move save copy protected data to a new PS3. I ran into this problem when the HDD in my PS3 went out the first time. I did the back-up function and when I reloaded the info was not there or so it appeared. After talking to Sony customer support and some people on other forums. I created a new profile on the new PS3 with the exact same name as my profile on the original. For example: if the name on you profile on the old PS3 was Bill, you will need to have the exact same name on the new PS3 / HDD. After doing this I was able access my content. So unless one of the updates that has been released has removed this option. It should still work of course you will need to have the same PSN that you used before.

My 40GB died last night but, I was able to get it to come back on a few hours later and it stayed on and worked while I did the data transfer to the new PS3 slim. 3 hours later I was back up and running and my data is there and working fine. Notice I did not have to do what I did in the above post since it was not a Hard-drive issue this time around.

I assume that the above mention method only worked, because I was putting the hard drive into the same PS3.

Yes, it must be because you used the same harddrive.
I have the same ps3 name as the last one, savegame from for example motorstorm 2 is working, but not GT5 because of this stupid save lock.

I should have keept the harddrive and send the ps3 with a other harddrive, then I would not loose the data, next time I know.. :grumpy:
 
If that is really true about the update it would make me sooo happy!
My problem is that my good ol' 60GB ylod'd for the second time in september this year. Unfortunately I didn't have the money to have it repaired immediately. Later I moved into my sister's house (where I am at the moment) while I'm looking for a new appartment.
Fortunately my nephew has a ps3 and I couldn't resist buying GT5 from the start and started playing on his ps3. Meanwhile my own ps3 is being repaired and I even ordered a 500GB harddrive to be prepared for GT5 and everything as the 60GB kept getting cramped. I already had played for like a week and had some reasonable progress made, when I read that the saves are copy protected....I almost freaked out!
Well I was about getting used to the thought to start a new save, when I will finally be living in my own appartment again in the next months...but now...a new hope has risen! It would be great if I could copy my own save to my own PS3 without having to start again, as I also have a certain amount of real life which consumes a lot of my time :)
So please Kaz.....don't be playing with me...fix that save protection once and for all!!
 
Agreed my last ps3 died when i was about to finish mafia 2 so i had to do it again on my new one a very short game turned into a long one lol. I dont know why people are so worried either unless they have recently converted to the ps3 from the you know what console. And before anyone says the ps3 that died had 3 years of heavy usage so it was bound to happen eventually.
Because grinding Indy over and over again to earn money for the car(s) you want is lame?

The whole GT Life thing is lame in my opinion, thanks to the crappy AI. If you enjoy it though, then good for you.
 
Yes, it must be because you used the same harddrive.
I have the same ps3 name as the last one, savegame from for example motorstorm 2 is working, but not GT5 because of this stupid save lock.

I should have keept the harddrive and send the ps3 with a other harddrive, then I would not loose the data, next time I know.. :grumpy:

Won't work. The game saves only work with the PS3 which they are created from.

My old PS3 died, and I took the HDD out. When I got a new one, and put old HDD with game saves in it in my new PS3, and it asked me to format. :scared:
 
How many people ever backed up their save games? I know I never did. All of a sudden now you know you cant people are freaking out! I dont get it. I am planning on getting a new PS3 at some point in the future and if I cant reproduce my save game I get the fun of doing it all again :)

Across several PS and PS2 memory cards, I have various saves from GT1, 2, 3, and 4. Just in case one of them failed, because they can, have, and will. A PS3 and its HDD can, have, and will fail at one point. You can prepare for everything but the unexpected. Not backing up data of any kind is just a bad idea. Not being given the option to, period, is a worse idea.
 
How many people ever backed up their save games? I know I never did. All of a sudden now you know you cant people are freaking out! I dont get it. I am planning on getting a new PS3 at some point in the future and if I cant reproduce my save game I get the fun of doing it all again :)

Man, with the old GT games I used to practically carry my memory card around with me (sometimes literally). Now I have 3 PS3s I use regularly, and I cannot move my game between my living room, bedroom, and "gaming den". What the heck? Not to mention having to cart my entire PS3 with me if I want to go to a friend's house and play.

Games like GT where people can literally spend 1000 hours tuning their garage to perfection....NEED easy reliable backups.
 
I have two PS3s and two wheels. I was going to get a third before I knew there wasn't LAN play and I couldn't copy my data saves from one to the other as I was doing with Dirt 2. The lack of LAN play I hopefully can work around through the internet as I am with two units but the data lock is a deal killer.

Sony loses a PS3 sale, PD loses a game sale, Costco loses a seat sale and Thrustmaster (or Logitech) loses a wheel sale.

I'm sure I'm not alone. Sony and PD should be promoting sales of multiple consoles.
 
ME TOO!

i have a ps3 in my arcade machine cockpit, and a ps3 under the 3dtv.. just now, im doing career mode on the 3dtv and can really only use the ps3 in the arcade machine for arcade mode only- as almost everything else is locked, i will not grind through the early game twice! i really want to be able to use the same save game in both machines..

come on PD.. lets us backup our saves!

surely it cannot be too hard to link savegames to specific user names to prevent cheating?
 
Yes, it must be because you used the same harddrive.
I have the same ps3 name as the last one, savegame from for example motorstorm 2 is working, but not GT5 because of this stupid save lock.

I should have keept the harddrive and send the ps3 with a other harddrive, then I would not loose the data, next time I know.. :grumpy:

I didn't use the same Hard Drive I used the same PS3 and swapped the Hard Drive out with a new one.
 
As I have read through this whole thread it became apparent to me why the lock was set in place for the game save. Someone mentioned that the patch will be released late December, and the Signature edition of GT5 had the competition running with the use of B-Spec drivers. I'm guessing they made the lock so that no one could use cheated data to win the Signature edition competition with a B-Spec driver sitting all the way at level 40 where everyone else might only be at level 20. So I think it is fair to say Kazunori had this planned all along.
 
Really? No fun? Then why do you even play the game?
(I don't understand this)

Getting there once is fun. Doing it again because you want to is fun. Doing it all over again because there is no option to back up your progress, and your PS3 and / or HDD dies, is not fun.
 
I've spend hell a lot of my time and effort to get the licenses done, and some of the toughest events in Special Events. I cannot afford to lose all of that effort when my PS3 breaks down or game save becomes corrupted. It's like losing a leg or arm. I just can't afford to lose it! I will be absolutely MAD if anything bad happens.

1.03 patch out, still protected. Brilliant!

wow.... calm down it just a game.......

if you like it take pics of your GOLD METAL !
 
Really? No fun? Then why do you even play the game?
(I don't understand this)
The fun comes from driving and tuning cars plus competing online.

While the odd GT Life event is fun in the main it is a chore.
 
I've spend hell a lot of my time and effort to get the licenses done, and some of the toughest events in Special Events. I cannot afford to lose all of that effort when my PS3 breaks down or game save becomes corrupted. It's like losing a leg or arm. I just can't afford to lose it! I will be absolutely MAD if anything bad happens.

1.03 patch out, still protected. Brilliant!

*facepalm* Copy protection is being removed later this month. Read the news section.
 
Back