Geti's vehicle thread: Lets get her back on the road. Edited

• Thread starter Nismo34
  • 11 comments
Australia
Bathurst
geti01
Geti's Vehicles
Been meaning to get this up for a while now, just never really had the time until now. Somewhere I can post about my vehicles, what I'm doing to them, what I plan to do and ask for tips from you guys on what to do next. This first post is going to be quite large, just to get up to date with whats been happening. So, lets begin.

So as a very small group of you may know, I acquired this Nissan GTS-T R33 back in February, with its fair share of issues. Firstly, it wouldn't start under its own power, it needed to be jump started everywhere, the turbo wasn't spooling properly, there was an oil leak in the engine somewhere, the rear boot lip was looking worse for wear, and the paints not in the greatest condition and the headlights were in kinda bad shape. The engine had just been rebuilt and new tyres put on which meant 2 big areas weren't necessarily an issue. So with a list compiled, my dad and I set out to get her back to her former glory.

First issue to combat was the starting issue. After a bit of digging around the car, we discovered the battery was being drained by the immobilizer that one of the previous owners put in. So we set out to remove it.

After a half hour wrestling with the cabling under the steering wheel, the immobilizer (the little black box to the right) finally revealed itself. It, with all the black cables coming out of it were wired in pretty deep, it took another hour to un-wire all the cables from the ignition, the sensors and the lights. Which meant we had to take the door apart as well, which revealed another issue. The rubber strip had been removed from the door cavity which meant whenever the window was rolled down, the glass was banging around inside the door creating a less-then-desirable clunk whenever we hit a bump. Added to the list then.

Next were the headlights, nice easy fix compared to removing the immobilizer. While I changed the headlights over, we charged the battery to see if it would hold its charge now that the immobilizer wasnt sucking the power constantly.

Pretty straight forward and as you can see, with the new headlight in and the old resting on the hoist, vast improvement on the headlights that were in it. This process did reveal to us the cause for the turbo issues though...

"Well there's your problem". The pipe had been rubbing against the hole in the bumper and had actually cut a hole in the pipe.

Pretty easy fix for something dad and I thought was going to be a lot more of a head ache. To confirm there was nothing else wrong with the turbo, we wrapped the hole with rubber tape and taped around to seal the hole and took it for a test drive. Both let off a sigh of relief as the turbo was spooling properly.

Pretty good for one days work. Turbo pipe has been sent off to the exhaust mob so they can make us a new pipe mirrored off the old one, battery was on charge to see if it would hold it, and most of the issues thought to be massive headaches turned out to be very small issues.

About a week or 2 passed looking for new bumpers as the one that's on now is quite cracked around the bottom. At this point dads come home from work and has asked if he and his boss could use the car in a 6 hour race held at Winton Raceway. This is when things start moving slowly and I stop being involved as much due to work, never the less Im still over seeing everything and making sure everything is still moving forward.

Upgraded brakes were the first on the list. The stock brakes just wouldnt cut it for 6 hours, and although the race isnt about outright speed, more consistent lap times, brakes were still priority.

A few phone calls around and the brakes were delivered and fitted

Look good, work really well apparently too. Kept the standard calipers, but the discs and pads are super heavy duty for track work.

When I bought the car I had the option to take the bigger rear wing for it, so I took it with the intention to tidy it up, respray and sell. But if its going to be on the track, we might as well use it.
This picture is before we moved the car to the workshop and before the wing was properly mounted but you get the idea.

(Sneaky motorcycle shot. Coming soon)

Another couple weeks went by, waiting for bits and pieces like Hood pins, stickers and such to come in meant not a lot got done. Then I went away for a week for work and came back...

Strut brace made its way into the picture.

The hood pins arrived and got fitted

Got new tyres, for some reason... ;)

And the car went on a diet and had the bucket seat installed.

With only 2 weeks until the race, more will be done. Will definitely try and keep this thread up to date. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers 👍 :cheers:

Nice work on the R.

Keep us updated on it and the race.

Engine rebuilt specs? Or just a stock rebuilt?

Stock rebuild as far as I know. Previous owner had the psi pumped up too high and blew it. I'll have a closer look at the receipt next time I'm with the car 👍

Good to see the thread has finally made it up! Looking forward to seeing you introduce the bike and the progress as the enduro approaches 👍

So as it turns out I don't really have many photos of what I have done to the bike so I'll just do a quick little brief here and try and get more photos of things I do in the future.

The Bike

2013 Hyosung GT650R (LAMS)

Mods so far:
-HID conversion
-Fender eliminated (Photo is with the license plate bracket removed)
-Shorty exhaust
---Pillion foot rests removed.
-Carbon fibre inlay brake/clutch levers in black and red (Not present in photo)
-Integrated rear tail light.
---Removal of standard rear indicators.

Tyres:
-Front tyre: Bridgestone Battlax
-Rear tyre: Pirelli Angel GT

Future plans:
-Power Commander
-Tinted windscreen
-Upgraded brake discs (Maybe)

Front:

Last edited:
So, with the race weekend over, it was finally safe to leave the bunker and venture into town and get some more work done on the Skyline.

But firstly, a bit of an odd sight, certainly a sight I cant say I've seen before...

A Ford Falcon with R34 rims? Interesting combination, cant say it looks too bad either.

Anyway, down to business...

Front tow strap fitted, and started getting the stickers on. Still have a few more to go on yet, and the number.

We also finally got around to changing the oil now that the leak was sorted (Loose line to the turbo). Also got the battery box fabricated and fitted. Was a bit dark in the boot with my old man sitting in it so I couldnt get a good photo of it. We also sat down and went through what was needed to pass scrutineering, which is when we discovered that our fire extinguisher may be out of date, other than that everything else was all sweet. All thats left is for the team sticker to go on, the last couple sponser stickers, the numbers, clean it up and load it on a car trailer in 2 days. Bring it on.

Edit: On the road to Winton as I type this. Signwriter came in and finished a heap of the stickers. Keen for a good weekend

Edit2: So the weekend went mostly well. A few dramas unfolded as the weekend went on. Our whole team had its fair share of issues which ended us up in 42nd out of 42 for the regularity relay(Didnt help that a couple of our teams drivers were driving faster than their nominated lap time *cough* Dad :lol:). Regardless it was good weekend, allowed us to see where we needed to improve and change. We left Winton with a boost leak that still remains undiagnosed... The list currently is as stands

-Engine is to come out to drill out the exhaust manifold stud that was cracked and we couldnt fix at the track (2 in total, we were able to get one drilled out and fixed).
-all rubber piping for the turbo is to be replaced with new stuff, includes all vacuum hoses.
-New exhaust manifold gasket needed
-Engine mount needs fixing (Discovered this was broken at Winton when we were removing the exhaust manifold to fix a stud. Possibly the biggest thing on this list)
-Fabricate a bracket to mount the race seat onto the stock seat rails so its adjustable as little 5'4" me is too short to sit in the seat where its mounted now
-Hopefully if the manifold stud and rubber hosing fixes the boost leak, thats the end of the list, but if it still leaks, the engine is staying out, everything relating to the turbo is coming off and being examined to find where and why.

Fingers crossed that this is all straight forward...

As for the motorbike, I was out riding yesterday when the fuel injection light came on and the temp rose. Pulled off the road to cool it down and check my phone. Went to start it up again and nothing. So here I was, second time in a week pulling a part the bike (First time the clutch cable snapped coming up to a intersection to the highway). Checked battery terminals, fuses, even swapped a few fuses out of the girlfriends lancer to see if any were dud that we couldnt see (one fuse had burning around the terminals). So with a dead bike we've called for a hand to get the bike home in the back of a furniture truck thanks to pop who thinks it could be compression locked. Going to have a look tomorrow with dad when he gets home from Melbourne. So a few things on the to-do list. Will post photos from the weekend sometime this week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just noticed you did a couple sly edits to that post. Did ya get the bike sorted?

Got the bike back on friday last week after not having had it for 3 weeks, rectifyer gave up and fried the battery in the process.

Dad ordered all new pipes and hoses for the turbo and intercooler, they've come in but we need to take the engine mounts out and sort them out before we can put it all back together, even got the exhaust manifold machined flat, and a set of better gaskets to handle everything better. Back to being at a standstill between work and such. Next year though I'll be driving in the club events down here and around and such so we've still got a heap of time to get the car ready. For the time being the turbo is lying on the garage floor with the exhaust to cat still connected and the engine bays looking a little bare with all the pipe work missing. Probably won't do a great deal until the new year though.

Thats is a very nice Skyline!
Hopefully it can win somewhere in the future!

Cheers. She's showing some potential if she'd stop destroying her 20 year old rubber pipe work :lol:

Quick update...

So I got myself a new car. Figured it was time to move on from my little Ford Fiesta, so I went with something with a bit of practicality, with the want for towing and taking 3 dogs around, I settled for a Holden Commodore SV6 ute
(Yes, both the LED strips work, the camera just doesn't like viewing both of them)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Work on the nissan has been slow between work being all over the place and personal life getting in the way.

And this...
image.jpg

Quick little update before bed, realized a little bit has happened.

Firstly, "Jan" is back up and running. 3 hours and a few beers one weeknight and we were taking turns taking her for a quick run around our neighborhood at 10pm. First actual drive since I bought the car and damn is it quick. My dads boss then borrowed it for a weekend to Wakefield park where it came 24th out of 60ish cars and didn't fault once. No split hoses, no cracked gaskets, no manifold studs snapping. Solid effort being that it beat twin turbo supras, XR8 Falcons, Skyline GTR's and a couple of Evo's.
A few minor issues are arising in the fact that the heat getting trapped under the hood is crazy. So much so it was losing power when it got too hot. Need to cut some vents into the hood to let it breathe a bit, and the bottom of the air box is exposed to the engines heat as well. Seal that up and run a pipe from the hole in the bumper into the bottom of the air-box. Cheap and easy Cold Air intake. We also have a hunch that for 14psi, the roddy big front mount is too big. Might try and find a cheap second hand intercooler and see if that makes any change. There's a hill-climb event up at the mount at the end of April that I'm hoping to enter so we'll see how that goes.

Just got the ute back from getting a new clutch put in, was slipping like it was too ice blocks rubbing together. Also have a small list of things I want to do to the ute, mainly just the sound system. The stock sound system in it was pretty poor. Ive upgraded the door speakers from the 20W stock to a pair of 220W JVC 6 1/2 inch speakers. I also have a pair of 6 x 9 JVC's lined up to mount behind the seats. Also need to invest in an amp.
Other plans include upgraded brake system, might try and get my hands on a set of brakes off a Maloo (Gotta love Brembo), get the back end of the exhaust sorted (OCD doesn't like the fact that one tip sits an inch higher than the other and more than an inch further out from the bumper when its been running), a nice set of rims (Found a set that I really love, the only issue is the 3 grand I need for them) and toying with the idea of a twin turbo set-up in the ute (Brakes first though I think)...

Motorbike is still looking pretty sad. Haven't been motivated to fix it. A mate of mine is interested in buying it off me as it sits, the down side is he lives out of town and the roo's are pretty bad out his way so he's not sure on it. The girlfriend wants a motorbike though so I might seel scraps and go halves with her on a little 300 ninja or something or halves with my brother on something more on the 650 side of things. Still very undecided as to what I want to do on that side of things.

So yea, mostly excited that the skyline is now back up and running and reliable enough for the track. Keen to start getting it out a little more often.

Heres the results for the track day, much better than the race at Winton where we came dead last :lol:
Results.JPG

So Ive decided, after the car having sat in the driveway for the last 7 months getting no use (Mainly due to being working every time an event comes up) Im going to get her back on the road. I will still be keeping the tow strap, tow stickers, battery sticker and such so that when I can do a track day or event, its already got what it needs. Going to make the racing seat adjustable to make it more practical, and remount the extinguisher to its not in the way of the passenger seat. Got the tub of the ute filled with all the parts from the workshop that came out of the skyline ready to go back in like a jigsaw. The upside is now we have a reliable car on the track, we shouldnt have any issues with it on the road. Pictures to come of piecing it together.

Edit:
Most of the stickers removed except the ones planned on keeping. Just to give her a good clean and polish and the exterior is all sweet. Going to get my hands on some sound deadening and line the interior with it before piecing it all back together on the inside. (Might throw some in the ute as well while I'm at it).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back