getting rid of gut

• Thread starter Sniffs
  • 56 comments
we're waiting for the PS4
fishtailrook1 (?)
huh...didn't know this was here.

but now that I do...
I attempted weight training once upon a time, and promptly pulled a muscle on an EMPTY pec machine. I gave it up, which was stupid (over the summer, I had dropped 20 pounds simply biking in to college classes).

since I'm now getting "when's the baby due?" jokes, AND i have to toss half of my pants (even when they fit, they don't FIT and I'm getting squeezed in areas I don't want squeezed in), I think I better get rid of this belly...or I'm gonna look like Austin Powers char. Fat B******.

hints and suggestions wanted, both in exercise, and any fat burners.

The gut is one of the hardest places to get rid of fat. Crunches and sit-up don't help as much as people might say, so don't try and do 200 of those a day or anything.

The only thing that really works is just continuing a solid diet and exercise program. With time, your body will start to work off of your belly. Sadly, it decides to do that as one of its last-ditch efforts.

Lots of walking and stuff seems to be doing the trick for me, football, 4-6 mile walks regularly, balanced diet and in my case free running helps, or, well, gives incentive at least.

On a seriouse note, I'm not judging you, rather judging all college students... If your drinking beer allot, It really will give you a big belly, fast... because of all the yeast and **** in there... If you can slow down on that ****, you could lose a few lb's. Also... Cardio and just sweating your nutz off running or something seems to be what you need... Join a gym...

Its not just beer, I dont drink much (he says after cracking open the 3rd beer) more a thing of eating and not doing anything. That was the case with me, sitations change though.

Personally I don't believe in diets nor fat burners. For two years I weighed some 155 pounds no matter what I ate. Then I went to do my armed service. After two weeks in the army I weighed 145 pounds and after six more weeks I was down to 130 pounds. During all that time I ate as much as I ever had. It's all in the physical exercise. Sure, less fat in the food helps but it won't get rid of the belly. That has to be sweated off.

For those who are interested in if my extra ballast did return, I've been out of there for seven months now and the weight is a steady 135 pounds.

What are your eating habits like?

First my diet advice.
Eat smarter. I'm lucky, I love pasta. It's piss easy to make, and you can eat it with a different sauce or topping for every day of the week. Though I don't recomend it.
Eat when you're supposed to eat, not when your hungry. I was raised on this rule, it works. Eat a good breakfast, a good lunch, a good evening meal. Snack inbetween, fine, but don't start making a sandwhich cause your hungry at 5pm and you'll have dinner ready at 6pm.
Drink lots of water. Don't drown yourself, but have a drink of water if you're feelin a little peckish between meals. Sometimes its just enough to fill.
Don't eat stuff you don't like, it's just not worth it and it won't give you a long term plan.

Exercise.
Probably best to keep it low impact if your overweight, so cyclng, cross trainer, walking, swimming. Jogging is great if you enjoy it, but get some running shoes, don't have to be expensive and not recomended if you're too heavy.
Weights are good, but the least of your worries if your looking to fat. Admittadley more muscle burns more calories but you'd be better off investing your time elsewhere unless you want to come away with better tone.

But whatever you do, find stuff, things, exercises you don't see as a chore, otehrwise you'll reach your target weight then get fed up of it and gain weight again.

What are your eating habits like?

First my diet advice.
Eat smarter. I'm lucky, I love pasta. It's piss easy to make, and you can eat it with a different sauce or topping for every day of the week. Though I don't recomend it.
I like pasta too, I wouldn't have it every day though.

Eat when you're supposed to eat, not when your hungry.
But when I'm hungry I'm hungry. My stomach rumbles and everything.

Don't eat stuff you don't like, it's just not worth it and it won't give you a long term plan.
I'll agree with that.

Exercise.
Probably best to keep it low impact if your overweight, so cyclng, cross trainer, walking, swimming. Jogging is great if you enjoy it, but get some running shoes, don't have to be expensive and not recomended if you're too heavy.
This is what I need to step up, I haven't exercised properly for a while. I need to get back into the routine of playing football regularly and walking more.

I'd find the activity that works best for you and stick with it until you're in the shape to begin the hard stuff.
Biking seems to work well for you based on your experience with college. 👍
Try to make an hour of your day availible for biking (best in the morning).
I can testify to the affectiveness of biking, only 1 summer, 1,500 miles, and Louisiana's hot sun took me from 250lbs to 210lbs. (now I'm back up to 250lbs. :lol: ).

Running is also a great workout but the stress by comparison to biking is easily double, the knees, ankles, and feet take far too much of a pounding when you run but biking has none of that (although it's a real pain the butt sometimes ;) ).

Swimming would be ideal but that's out of the question based on your location and time of year. :lol: Jumping rope along with assorted stationary excises might be good but that can get boring quick.

The key is Cardio (as others have said). Stick to cardio and you'll drop the pound quick. 👍 Good luck. :cheers:

I’d recommend that whatever you decide to do, don’t use the gym. The gym is great for anaerobic exercise (well, for most people it’s the only option for anaerobic exercise), but unless it’s raining or snowing, you should do aerobic exercises outside. Running 10 minutes on a treadmill is boring as hell, even if you have an iPod, but running outside is so much more enjoyable that the miles just roll by.

One smaller point, which might help. If you eat meat, sniffs, make sure it is a 'good cut', poorer cuts of meat (In the UK we get them in Economy, I don't know what the meat trade is like state side) have a much higher fat content. It's a small thing but it will help.

I've lost 10lbs since Christmas (as mentioned elsewhere). It's not rocket science. One other key thing is don't eat big meals within a couple of hours of going to bed. You should be eating 4 hours before you go to bed. (I don't mean 9PM to sleep at 1AM) say around 6ish, your bodies metabolism slows down as the day grows old.

I like pasta too, I wouldn't have it every day though.
Neither can I, I tried it and got fed up, hence my Simple Summer Student Recipies thread ;)
But when I'm hungry I'm hungry. My stomach rumbles and everything.
Then adjust meal times or increase your meals. I'm terrible in that I don't feel like I've eaten properly unless I'm stuffed, so I always eat big meals.

Try to make an hour of your day availible for biking (best in the morning).
Morning excerise always confuses me.

The summer before last I was jogging in the mornings cause it was gettin so hot, but found breakfast difficult. I didn't want to go out having eaten/drunk anything for 8 hours but didn't think a proper breakfast would sit too well in the stomach. So I was just having a bit of water and a biscuit 30mins before setting off. But I still got stitches (like stomach cramps) every so often.

Then adjust meal times or increase your meals. I'm terrible in that I don't feel like I've eaten properly unless I'm stuffed, so I always eat big meals.
Same here, I'm a bit of a compulsive eater as well. If I'm at a mates house or even at work, if someone puts some biscuits or chocolates out I eat them even if I'm not hungry. It's a habit I'm trying to stop, I've cut it down but not stopped it completely yet.

Play a sport that you enjoy. I do squash, badminton and rock climbing. Doing something that requires a lot of energy keeps you in shape, plus you feel great after each session.

[…] but didn't think a proper breakfast would sit too well in the stomach.

You say “think”, but have you ever actually tried it? When I did cross country, I’d eat a huge bowl of cereal and a banana, then go on a 10-mile run, and I never felt any ill effects. I’m not saying that’s true for everyone, but I think most people assume that they can’t exercise after eating without actually trying it.

picc84: hope you didn't mean me. my college days are over a decade behind me (i've only put mabey 15-20 lbs back on in all that time). besides...i don't drink. dad's an alcoholic, so I duck it.
Greycap: millitary service in the US is all voluntary. but dropping that much that quick...wow.
Exige: I allready do that...there's almost nothing for dinner here BUT pasta. my weakness is MacaroniCheeze :P as for water, most of the time, that's all that's here. unfortunately, I've set on my arse for the past 3 years...I'm a driver for the local Amish community :P at least I've dropped the Soda...but you can't get much for breakfast but premade biscuts with sausage and cheeze. they're horrible XP
according to weight chats, I'm supposed to weigh circa 155...or 11 stone (Anglophile in da house!) so I'm not MUCH over, but the chubby lingers.
Kent: i need more upper body, this is NOT the weather for biking (i don't feel like a wet butt). Cardio? hmm...wonder if my DCD will take it?
Sureshot: cheap meat in the US is hamburger. I'm not one much for meat, anyway...'less it's a piece of Venison (i HATE fat). I eat more chicken and turkey, rarely deep-fried (unless it's McD's).

maby I should state, I have DCD/Dyspraxia, and one of the characteristics is intsta-fatigue. I know one thing, a 45 minute trip into town on the bike leaves me mega winded.

huh...didn't know this was here.

but now that I do...
I attempted weight training once upon a time, and promptly pulled a muscle on an EMPTY pec machine. I gave it up, which was stupid (over the summer, I had dropped 20 pounds simply biking in to college classes).

since I'm now getting "when's the baby due?" jokes, AND i have to toss half of my pants (even when they fit, they don't FIT and I'm getting squeezed in areas I don't want squeezed in), I think I better get rid of this belly...or I'm gonna look like Austin Powers char. Fat B******.

hints and suggestions wanted, both in exercise, and any fat burners.

This time last year I was 258lbs. As of today I am 208lbs. Here's how I did it:

• No soft drinks (occasional diet soft drinks are acceptable)
  • No beer
  • Reduce (processed) sugar consumption to below 10% of recommended DV (daily value)
  • Eat fruits and vegitables daily--and at least a few times a month REPLACE an entire meal with a selection of friuts and veggies
  • Drink fresh non-processed/concentrate fruit juice
  • Cut sodium intake by 50%
  • Restrict fast food to once every 3 weeks as a "reward" (but you'll find out that once you stop eating fast food you'll grow away from liking it)
  • Stop eating ice cream <-- that was the hardest part for me
  • Eat foods with very high fiber and protein
  • Aviod anything that comes from a Pig
  • Reduce beef intake by 75%
  • Increase chicken and turkey intake by 200% (not fried)
  • Drink 8oz of water before, during, and after a meal (you can drink whatever you want during--but the 8oz before/after is important)
  • Refrain from eating 3~4hours before bed--if you are hungry drink ice water--more ice than water
  • Aviod bananas and other foods with a high glycemic indexes [http://www.glycemicindex.com/]
  • Do not eat carrots or celery
  • Take some vitamin suppliments--but not daily, every other day and besure to eat before or immediately after taking
  • Remove any desire for mayonaise, ranch dressing, and any sort of condiment that has a sort of dressing or mayomnaise--mustard and honey mustard with no dressing and ketchup will be your best friends
  • After the first month of a new diet start using resistance bands to build up lean muscle--which is the most efficiant way to burn fat-even while you sleep!
  • Exercise periodically throughout the week--never "over" exercise as that can actually increase weight and volume of your bodysize (with muscle)
  • Once you hit the first weight-loss "barrier" (the point where you lose no more weight) increase the period of resistance band usage and increase the resistance every week
  • Try eating slowly, trust me if you have an hour for lunch take 45 minutes to eat it
  • If possible eat a fist sized meal every ~3 hours high in protein and fiber
  • Again, I can't stress enough the importance of not eating or drinking before going to sleep
  • *edit*Honey is free, its good for you and you can eat as much as you like--use this to sweeten any foods that you don't normally prefer in a fresh state

There are alot more "little" things I did too

*edit*
I forgot to mention I went from a 42" waist to a 36" waist.

*edit2*
Resistance bands should be your first exercise method choice. They are much less impact than lifting weights, running, and pretty much any of the "conventional" exercises.

Um, quite a few rules, don&#8217;t you think? ;) I think all dieting rules can be essentially summed up in eat lower-energy-dense foods, which is really just a compact way of saying maximize volume-in while minimizing calories-in. Carbs have fewer calories/gram than fat; oranges have fewer calories/liter than orange juice; popsicles have fewer calories/gram than ice cream. I don&#8217;t think there&#8217;s any reason to make any more rules than that one. I know there are a lot of nuances in types of carbs and types of fats and the way we metabolize things and timing etc. etc., but there&#8217;s no point in obsessing over those points if you eat sensibly. I took a nutrition class that studied all of those points in great detail, but even my professor basically said that the only real take-home message is to just reduce calorie density.

Of course, I&#8217;m typing this while eating strawberry cheesecake ice cream. :lol:

Um, quite a few rules, don&#8217;t you think? ;)

It worked for me didn't it? My brother went to college to be a nutritionist and personal trainer--so my advice I recieved was professional advice. And it worked--and worked better than I had anticipated. The weight I lost was long stored weight--in other words it is going to be easier for me to keep it off if I maintain a healthy lifestyle. Its not what some call "buffer weight"--which is the weight that the average person can gain and lose in a short amount of time...which usually is referred as water weight (or sugar weight).

I ate Taco Bell twice last week and actually still lost 3lbs overall for the week. Thanks to my metabolism I've never had before, which is a direct result of what I was told to do.

YES, you can loss a substantial amount of weight just by diet alone--I lost 25lbs just on diet alone--but the right sorts of exercise and more stringent attention needs to be paid on; what you eat, how you eat, and when you eat.

*applauds JCE for his weightWatchers level loss*
now...how much more do you have to go? 208 sounds too heavy yet, unless you've got either muscles or are over 6 feet.

what the hey are Resistance bands?

i do almost all of that allready. even the Ice Cream is few and far between, now. I live in a diabetic's household, which means a reduction in salt, etc to NADA. I also think I take in a max of mabey 1500-2000 calories. after all, I'm sitting more than anything else (read earlier bits)

I had a look after shower last night...it really DOES look like I've only got 3 months to go! I'm starting to wonder WHERE it came from.

My exercise routine normally consists of about an hour cardio Monday to Friday. After the cardio I generally do free weights (nothing really heavy), just enough to start toning.

Your really going to have to regular cardio in. Rowing, cycling, running are all good. If you get bored, do half an hour cycling then half an hour running.

Diet wise, I generally eat very heathily, normally fruit in the morning. Sandwiches consist of brown bread, minimal spread of butter and normally chicken salad. If you are going to eat pasta, buy wholemeal as white pasta is normally refined. It's good to have snacks in between meals, I usually have rice cakes, raisins in yoghurt coating etc. When you start exercising you may find that your energy levels are really low. Try having a banana about an hour before as it's good for slow energy release. Don't forget to drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise.

Apart from that your going to have to get exercising and burn plenty of calories.

@JCE: Great advise on weight loss. What's your brother say about more smaller meals during the day, like 5-6 meals to help increase the body's metabolism?

Basic rules of diet/nutrition and exercise can produce healthy results.

You say “think”, but have you ever actually tried it? When I did cross country, I’d eat a huge bowl of cereal and a banana, then go on a 10-mile run, and I never felt any ill effects. I’m not saying that’s true for everyone, but I think most people assume that they can’t exercise after eating without actually trying it.
Well I had to make sure I ate my evening meal at least 1 hour before I'd go to a 2 hours of karate training otherwise I would feel some discomfort. And the first hour of karate didn't involve half as much movement as a jog does. My worst fear is getting stomach upset about 3 miles from home.

Exige: I allready do that...there's almost nothing for dinner here BUT pasta. my weakness is MacaroniCheeze :P as for water, most of the time, that's all that's here. unfortunately, I've set on my arse for the past 3 years...I'm a driver for the local Amish community :P at least I've dropped the Soda...but you can't get much for breakfast but premade biscuts with sausage and cheeze. they're horrible XP
I wouldn't think of cheese and meat as good breakfast material. You need carbs really.
maby I should state, I have DCD/Dyspraxia, and one of the characteristics is intsta-fatigue. I know one thing, a 45 minute trip into town on the bike leaves me mega winded.
You need to excerise at a medium level for 20-30 mins before you start bruning fat. So 45 minutes isn't a bad length of time for some good cardio exercises.

JCE
This time last year I was 258lbs. As of today I am 208lbs. Here's how I did it:

• *snip*

• But is that a lifestyle you can stick to once you've reached your target weight? The eating before bed is a good point as any carbs, sugars and protein will be turned to fat unless they are burned.

Well I had to make sure I ate my evening meal at least 1 hour before I'd go to a 2 hours of karate training otherwise I would feel some discomfort. And the first hour of karate didn't involve half as much movement as a jog does. My worst fear is getting stomach upset about 3 miles from home.

I wouldn't think of cheese and meat as good breakfast material. You need carbs really.

You need to excerise at a medium level for 20-30 mins before you start bruning fat. So 45 minutes isn't a bad length of time for some good cardio exercises.
*snip*

that's a Yankee breakfast for you...even the english breakfast is healthy in comparison to

2 (fried) eggs
Bacon or Sausage links
4 pieces of toast, slathered in (often as not, nowadays) whipped spread (ugh...jelly over butter)
half a pot of coffee, usually with half and half
deep fried "hash Browns" (finely shredded potatoes pressed into a patty shape)

over here, it's "carbs are bad for you" in the latest diet parlance...which doesn't leave anything really but veg.

I need some upper body stuff as well as "running"..cause all MY fat's on top

*applauds JCE for his weightWatchers level loss*
now...how much more do you have to go? 208 sounds too heavy yet, unless you've got either muscles or are over 6 feet.

what the hey are Resistance bands?

I'm 6 feet tall. And here are resistance bands:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/family/index.jsp?cp=2057738.710956&categoryId=693940&view=all

I have all of these
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...quipment&start=16&selectedSKU=0424-00951-1693
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...quipment&start=16&selectedSKU=0424-00951-1692
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...quipment&start=16&selectedSKU=0424-00951-1691

Oh, my target weight is 190~200 with no love handles or gut. If I have to go up to 210 with some extra muscle to have no gut or love handles I can live with it. Actual physical weight isn't my real target--its size and volume of the fat in my body.

@JCE: Great advise on weight loss. What's your brother say about more smaller meals during the day, like 5-6 meals to help increase the body's metabolism?

Basic rules of diet/nutrition and exercise can produce healthy results.

He said to eat a fist sized meal usually consisting in friuts and or veggies (or chicken) every 3 or so hours.

What's wrong with carrots?

Calories.

But is that a lifestyle you can stick to once you've reached your target weight? The eating before bed is a good point as any carbs, sugars and protein will be turned to fat unless they are burned.

Yes. You can most certainly live off of what I eat everyday. Infact you'd be surprised how eating healthy everyday will make you feel. I have tons of energy and feel great when I wake up in the morning. A small tip for those of you who like hotdogs and hamburgers and chili--eat the turkey replacement you'll like the taste. Turkydogs, ground turkey, and Turkey chili actually taste quite good and almost like beef. For hamburgers mix 80% ground turkey + 20% ground beef for a truely healthy hamburger. :sly:

that's a Yankee breakfast for you...even the english breakfast is healthy in comparison to

2 (fried) eggs
Bacon or Sausage links
4 pieces of toast, slathered in (often as not, nowadays) whipped spread (ugh...jelly over butter)

over here, it's "carbs are bad for you" in the latest diet parlance...which doesn't leave anything really but veg.

In the morning its most important to eat the healthiest thing you'll eat all day. I make it my main fruits and veggies intake.

If you plan on doing any exercising such as running/jogging or anything that will be a cardio workout for longerthan 1 hour eating a banana right before can be a good energy booster--just never eat a banana UNLESS you are going to do a hardcore intense workout. That's just like pouring a pint of sugar in your body...wel not that bad but you get the message.

Yes. You can most certainly live off of what I eat everyday. Infact you'd be surprised how eating healthy everyday will make you feel. I have tons of energy and feel great when I wake up in the morning. A small tip for those of you who like hotdogs and hamburgers and chili--eat the turkey replacement you'll like the taste. Turkydogs, ground turkey, and Turkey chili actually taste quite good and almost like beef. For hamburgers mix 80% ground turkey + 20% ground beef for a truely healthy hamburger. :sly:
It's not about being able to live off it, it's about wanting to live off it.
Like I said before, I can eat alot of pasta quite happily. And I heavily prescribe to the "everything in moderation" theory. So when you talk about completely cutting food you like out of your diet I simply have to accept that drive to lose weight is very strong, I just hope it's all sustainable once you reach your target weight. Yo-yo'ing is less healthier than being slightly overweight in the long term.

If you plan on doing any exercising such as running/jogging or anything that will be a cardio workout for longerthan 1 hour eating a banana right before can be a good energy booster--just never eat a banana UNLESS you are going to do a hardcore intense workout. That's just like pouring a pint of sugar in your body...wel not that bad but you get the message.
What? A banana is like 100 calories, with lots of nutrients and fibre. If that quantifies pouring sugar down your throat I'd be commiting suicide by eating a 250 calorie mince pie at Xmas that is literally sugar wrapped in sugary-topped pastry.

2 (fried) eggs
Bacon or Sausage links

Yeah the whole "carbs are bad" diets piss me off something rotten. Unless you are physically unable to exercise in anyway then carbs are essential for allowing you to exercise, which is again an essential part of weight loss.

Upper body won't neccesarily remove fat on top, fat is simply removed in reverse order of how it was put on. So upper body exercises might burn fat from your hips. However, muscle tone is always good, and upper body exercise can improve posture giving a better look.

*snip*

Yeah the whole "carbs are bad" diets piss me off something rotten. Unless you are physically unable to exercise in anyway then carbs are essential for allowing you to exercise, which is again an essential part of weight loss.

I agree. Some people need to understand the difference between good carbs and bad carbs. Carbs is where your energy comes from. Bad carbs turn to sugar then stored as fat because the body has a harder time turning that bad carb into energy. Good carbs on the other hand digest easily and turn into energy easily. Regular white potato = bad carbs. Sweet potato = good carbs, for example. At least that's my understanding of it.

Like I said before, I can eat alot of pasta quite happily. And I heavily prescribe to the "everything in moderation" theory. So when you talk about completely cutting food you like out of your diet I simply have to accept that drive to lose weight is very strong, I just hope it's all sustainable once you reach your target weight. Yo-yo'ing is less healthier than being slightly overweight in the long term.

I've lived this way for a year--that seems long term enough for me.

What? A banana is like 100 calories, with lots of nutrients and fibre.

First, calories have nothing to do with it. Like I stated in my first post (had you read it), bananas are high on the glycemic index [http://www.glycemicindex.com/], which CAN BE UNHEALTHY FOR PEOPLE WHO AREN'T HEAVILY EXERCISING DIRECTLY AFTER EATING ONE. I, again, invide you and anyone else to research foods high on the glycemic index. ESPECIALLY if you are in danger of being a diabetic or ARE diabetic.

I never said anything about "carbs are bad". Simplex carbs are good (fruits and veggies) complex carbs are what's bad. Exercise is as important to weight ... no FAT loss as eating healthy--which means eating the RIGHT kinds of foods.

Upper body won't neccesarily remove fat on top, fat is simply removed in reverse order of how it was put on. So upper body exercises might burn fat from your hips. However, muscle tone is always good, and upper body exercise can improve posture giving a better look.

Read up on lean muscle. That's more important for losing body fat than what you'll gain by simply running or cardio. Lean muscle also can help reshape your body more quickly as well.

Yeah, I definitely souldn't want to live with that regime. I'm not interested in my life revolving aroung health and fitness, I'm interested in perhaps losing 2 inches off my waist and then keeping that and that is all. I completely respect people that do live like that, like JCE, but it's not me. Like you said, I need something that I enjoy doing that does the job. My diet needs to improve and slowly but surely it is, but I'm not overhauling it I'm just improving it. I wouldn't want live on a diet where I'm picking everything based on carbs and calories, I still want to pick food based on how much I like it. My main dietry concern is eating late at night, that's something I'm trying to cut out and I think is resonsible for at least an inch :lol:.

The other thing is I don't walk as much as I did, my last job was near home so short of it pouring down, I walked there and back, my current job is a 15 min drive or about an hours walk. On a nice day I might e tempted to walk if it wasn't for the fact that I can be called out the office and have to get to Birmingham, Liverpool or other offices at two or three hours notice. When I am in the office I'm trying to get into the routine of walking into Stockport, it's about a 20 min walk eather way and I'm just trying to get into doing that whenever the weather permits regardless of me needing anytihng from Stockport or not. A colleague goes in on most lunches anyway so I walk in with her most of the time.

I'm not interested in joining a gym, I know exactly what will happen, I'd go a couple of times then not be bothred and find myself £40 worse off than I was before and having the same weight as I did before.

Back