getting rid of gut

• Thread starter Sniffs
  • 56 comments
Dave, thing is I DO eat things I like and enjoy. Pasta is ok as long as you pay attention to what you put in it in terms of garnishments. I eat regular foods too, but when push comes to shove if you already eat at least 75% healthy you can easily make the transition of 95% healthy eating.

I already gave you guys and gals an alternative to hotdogs and hamburgers. Do you want more? :D

I'm 6 feet tall. And here are resistance bands:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/famil...93940&view=all

I have all of these
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...424-00951-1693
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...424-00951-1692
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...424-00951-1691

Oh, my target weight is 190~200 with no love handles or gut. If I have to go up to 210 with some extra muscle to have no gut or love handles I can live with it. Actual physical weight isn't my real target--its size and volume of the fat in my body.

*smirk* my mother had those when I was growing up in the late 70's. she was on an aerobics kick for a while. so much for thinking free weights :P

the last time I was tested, I was at 22% body fat...and that was in the early nineties when I was a energy burning twenty something AND had just knocked off 20 lbs by riding 15 miles one way twice a week. i must be naturally chunky or something :P

is their a proper weight chart online somewhere that isn't attached to ads, linked to women, or that doesn't assume ALL weight is fat (my legs are fine, thank you. 16 inch calf muscles) I'm 5'8"

oh, and the Yankee breakfast" bit was for the Brits to make fun of :P

basically, it's exercise your arse off, and eat nothing but fruit and Veg. if someone would let me do more than some lawnmower trimming around here...there's nothing like the pleasantly worn out feeling you get after even a chores workout, except sex :P

*snip*...there's nothing like the pleasantly worn out feeling you get after even a chores workout, except sex :P

More information than I needed.....

*slowly backs out of thread*

Do not eat carrots or celery
What's wrong with carrots?
Calories.

All of 25 calories in your average Carrot, Celery is practically null and void in terms of calories. The idea they are high in calories is silly and something I've never heard before.
Aviod anything that comes from a Pig

You never heard of Lean cuts? There's been a big boom in Lean Pork in the UK. Not all cuts of a Pig are belly pork.

Honey is free, its good for you and you can eat as much as you like--use this to sweeten any foods that you don't normally prefer in a fresh state

It's good for you, but it's not free.

A small tip for those of you who like hotdogs and hamburgers and chili--eat the turkey replacement you'll like the taste. Turkydogs, ground turkey, and Turkey chili actually taste quite good and almost like beef.

Only relevant to the grade (quality) of the meat you buy, if you buy poor grade meat then it'll make little difference due to the fat content of the poorer cuts found in economy ranges. Mind you if people are happy to eat bone and what not I'm sure they won't mind what else they put in their bodies.

I stand behind my statements based on the professional advice given to me. You people can choose to do what you like--I simply told him what I did to lose my weight.

Have you considered mild sports with friends? Soccer and tennis are superb sports for exercise which don't require specialized equipment to get into. Losing weight with an exercise buddy can help keep you motivated.

Bear in mind, though, that your primary body regions are your core/waist/back and your legs when exercising to shed weight. So size up a few minutes some day and look into activities that work those body regions.

Don't cut back too much on your diet. If you're not striving to build raw muscle, then meat intake can be reduced. But it's actually bad calorie intake (usually from sugar in high-carb diets) and bad fat (usually from processed foods and some meats) that will distort your ability to lose weight.

The goal in your diet should be to eat smart, not eat less.

I'll try helping to point you in the right direction:
Try eating rice instead, say, mashed potatoes and gravy for supper. Or broiled salmon instead of barbecued beef or lamb steak. Eating even a mild balance of fruits and vegetables can help 'clean' your body by letting it absorb nutrients more readily, whereas fat is usually absorbed quickly by anybody. If you don't like eating vegetables (like green peppers or broccoli or spinach), try to cook them in a light stew with semi-defatted chicken, potatoes and carrots. Fruits like red apples, mango, bananas, and blackberries are great for nutrients and acids that the body needs to balance your surplus of fat, but watch out if you're prone to acid and get heartburn easily from acidic foods.

Here's something to try: just drop some berries (raspberry, blackberry and blueberry are loaded with vitamins) and sliced kiwi into a blender with a cup of milk and a spoon of (preferably lite) vanilla ice scream if you want to drink your daily vitamins in a good-tasting milkshake. It won't give you the same amount of energy for your exercise as spaghetti and tomato sauce, but it won't give you that heavy feeling when moving around while exercising.

Get an orange squeezer (electric or manual, doesn't matter) for a couple of bucks and squeeze yourself a glass of orange juice each morning with your eggs and toast (reduce bacon and other fried intake, by the way). It takes just 10 minutes and you'll get around 200% of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin C in one glass alone, which is equivalent to around 3 or 4 squeezed oranges. You'll also be getting Vitamin A and folic acids.

Good luck out there, man!

JCE
I stand behind my statements based on the professional advice given to me. You people can choose to do what you like--I simply told him what I did to lose my weight.

And that's fair enough, but Carrots and Celery aren't high in calories. Especially Celery.

Fun fact for the week, Celery actually has negative calories. They say this because you actually burn more calories with the action of eating celery than what you actually get out of the celery for caloric intake.

:)

Fun fact for the week, Celery actually has negative calories. They say this because you actually burn more calories with the action of eating celery than what you actually get out of the celery for caloric intake.

:)

Myth according to QI.

According to ask.yahoo, it's not a myth or urban legend. An 8 inch celery stock contains 6 calories, and while eating it doesn't not burn 6 calories, you will burn more than 6 calories trying to digest it.

Well you're not just digesting the celery if you burn more than the 6 calories then, are you?

Okay, on my 3rd attempt to reply, after suffering a power cut twice yesterday and thus giving up.

*Snip* Dai's life story ;) *snip*
My main dietry concern is eating late at night, that's something I'm trying to cut out and I think is resonsible for at least an inch :lol:.
Yep, that's a good start. While tempting as it is, a chinese takeaway or a kebab is gonna hit you twice as hard if you let that sit in your stomach all night and it all gets turned into fat.

The other thing is I don't walk as much as I did, my last job was near home so short of it pouring down, I walked there and back, my current job is a 15 min drive or about an hours walk.
Have you considered cycling? I know several people that do cycle many miles a day to work. Though I don't know what the wash facilities are like where you work it's an option and it shouldn't take too long.

I'm not interested in joining a gym, I know exactly what will happen, I'd go a couple of times then not be bothred and find myself £40 worse off than I was before and having the same weight as I did before.
Have you thought of a pay-as-you-go scheme at first? Just to see if it really is any good for you?

JCE
I've lived this way for a year--that seems long term enough for me.
Then I tip my hat to you sir 👍

First, calories have nothing to do with it. Like I stated in my first post (had you read it), bananas are high on the glycemic index [http://www.glycemicindex.com/], which CAN BE UNHEALTHY FOR PEOPLE WHO AREN'T HEAVILY EXERCISING DIRECTLY AFTER EATING ONE. I, again, invide you and anyone else to research foods high on the glycemic index. ESPECIALLY if you are in danger of being a diabetic or ARE diabetic.
Now I understand GI abit more I get what you mean, but it's still abit far, even as an analogy, to compare them to downing sugar'd water in my opinion.

I never said anything about "carbs are bad". Simplex carbs are good (fruits and veggies) complex carbs are what's bad. Exercise is as important to weight ... no FAT loss as eating healthy--which means eating the RIGHT kinds of foods.
And I never said you did. It was a reply to Sniffs post on his traditionally styled breakfast of fats and protein.

Yep, that's a good start. While tempting as it is, a chinese takeaway or a kebab is gonna hit you twice as hard if you let that sit in your stomach all night and it all gets turned into fat.
That's definitely something I've thought about and I'm pretty determined to improve on. He says as he munches on a chicken leg ;).

Have you considered cycling? I know several people that do cycle many miles a day to work. Though I don't know what the wash facilities are like where you work it's an option and it shouldn't take too long.
I wouldn't mind trying to get back riding. I used to but big accident bad, bad injury, no confidence on two wheels anymore, blah, blah, blah. I doubt I'd ride to work though, I often need to be able to get from Stockport to Liverpool pretty quick so the cars pretty much needed for that.

Have you thought of a pay-as-you-go scheme at first? Just to see if it really is any good for you?
No I haven't, definitely an idea I will be considering 👍.

Now I understand GI abit more I get what you mean, but it's still abit far, even as an analogy, to compare them to downing sugar'd water in my opinion.

I know my analogy was a bit far off base...but I just liked the sound of it. :lol:

my only source of exercise these days would be biking to school uphill 30 mins and 25 downhill, or walking, 45 minutes flat.

okay, I hate to poke this back awake, but...

I stepped on a scale sunday...and went No Way...190+ lbs/85+ kilos?!

okay, now i feel fat :P

How tall are you again?

190 isn't all that bad, my dads 5ft 9 and more like 240lbs, and its fat.

Basically means that jogging is out the question at the moment though, so any aerobic exercise will have to be low impact ideally. And don't even consider taking anything like protein supplements till your down to a better weight. They may help recovery better if your doing weighst but it'd be better to burn that fat.

How tall are you again?

190 isn't all that bad, my dads 5ft 9 and more like 240lbs, and its fat.

Basically means that jogging is out the question at the moment though, so any aerobic exercise will have to be low impact ideally. And don't even consider taking anything like protein supplements till your down to a better weight. They may help recovery better if your doing weights but it'd be better to burn that fat.

5'8", and a SMALL frame
i can't find a proper chart that doesn't automatically assume its for women, and takes muscle mass into account (which usually puts the MAX weight at 130 lbs or less)
i was not far over that when I graduated HS, and had a fat face. at the same weight, nowadays, i no longer have jowls or multiple chins :P
i overdid something in 03, and got down to the point I was getting Emaciated...at 130 lbs, I think. I still had the belly. I think it's "brown fat", IE permanent fat

??! fifteen percent MAXIMUM? isn't that unrealistic for a civilian?
again, no muscle mass seems to be taken into account. and I got plenty of leg muscles.

but, yeah, exactly where I thought it might get put. 155/11 st./70 kilos

What are your eating habits like?

First my diet advice.
Eat smarter. I'm lucky, I love pasta. It's piss easy to make, and you can eat it with a different sauce or topping for every day of the week. Though I don't recomend it.
Eat when you're supposed to eat, not when your hungry. I was raised on this rule, it works. Eat a good breakfast, a good lunch, a good evening meal. Snack inbetween, fine, but don't start making a sandwhich cause your hungry at 5pm and you'll have dinner ready at 6pm.
Drink lots of water. Don't drown yourself, but have a drink of water if you're feelin a little peckish between meals. Sometimes its just enough to fill.
Don't eat stuff you don't like, it's just not worth it and it won't give you a long term plan.

Exercise.
Probably best to keep it low impact if your overweight, so cyclng, cross trainer, walking, swimming. Jogging is great if you enjoy it, but get some running shoes, don't have to be expensive and not recomended if you're too heavy.
Weights are good, but the least of your worries if your looking to fat. Admittadley more muscle burns more calories but you'd be better off investing your time elsewhere unless you want to come away with better tone.

But whatever you do, find stuff, things, exercises you don't see as a chore, otehrwise you'll reach your target weight then get fed up of it and gain weight again.

I'd find the activity that works best for you and stick with it until you're in the shape to begin the hard stuff.
Biking seems to work well for you based on your experience with college. 👍
Try to make an hour of your day availible for biking (best in the morning).
I can testify to the affectiveness of biking, only 1 summer, 1,500 miles, and Louisiana's hot sun took me from 250lbs to 210lbs. (now I'm back up to 250lbs. :lol: ).

Running is also a great workout but the stress by comparison to biking is easily double, the knees, ankles, and feet take far too much of a pounding when you run but biking has none of that (although it's a real pain the butt sometimes ;) ).

Swimming would be ideal but that's out of the question based on your location and time of year. :lol: Jumping rope along with assorted stationary excises might be good but that can get boring quick.

The key is Cardio (as others have said). Stick to cardio and you'll drop the pound quick. 👍 Good luck. :cheers:

I’d recommend that whatever you decide to do, don’t use the gym. The gym is great for anaerobic exercise (well, for most people it’s the only option for anaerobic exercise), but unless it’s raining or snowing, you should do aerobic exercises outside. Running 10 minutes on a treadmill is boring as hell, even if you have an iPod, but running outside is so much more enjoyable that the miles just roll by.

Splended advice right here! 👍

The training you guys do pretty much sounds the same as what I'm doing. I'm running 30 minutes every day, except for the weekends, a man needs rest :D I also swim on Fridays and once the snow is gone, I'm back to cycling, badminton and playing tennis 👍

JCE
This time last year I was 258lbs. As of today I am 208lbs. Here's how I did it:
  • No soft drinks (occasional diet soft drinks are acceptable)
  • No beer
  • Reduce (processed) sugar consumption to below 10% of recommended DV (daily value)
  • Eat fruits and vegitables daily--and at least a few times a month REPLACE an entire meal with a selection of friuts and veggies
  • Drink fresh non-processed/concentrate fruit juice
  • Cut sodium intake by 50%
  • Restrict fast food to once every 3 weeks as a "reward" (but you'll find out that once you stop eating fast food you'll grow away from liking it)
  • Stop eating ice cream <-- that was the hardest part for me
  • Eat foods with very high fiber and protein
  • Aviod anything that comes from a Pig
  • Reduce beef intake by 75%
  • Increase chicken and turkey intake by 200% (not fried)
  • Drink 8oz of water before, during, and after a meal (you can drink whatever you want during--but the 8oz before/after is important)
  • Refrain from eating 3~4hours before bed--if you are hungry drink ice water--more ice than water
  • Aviod bananas and other foods with a high glycemic indexes [http://www.glycemicindex.com/]
  • Do not eat carrots or celery
  • Take some vitamin suppliments--but not daily, every other day and besure to eat before or immediately after taking
  • Remove any desire for mayonaise, ranch dressing, and any sort of condiment that has a sort of dressing or mayomnaise--mustard and honey mustard with no dressing and ketchup will be your best friends
  • After the first month of a new diet start using resistance bands to build up lean muscle--which is the most efficiant way to burn fat-even while you sleep!
  • Exercise periodically throughout the week--never "over" exercise as that can actually increase weight and volume of your bodysize (with muscle)
  • Once you hit the first weight-loss "barrier" (the point where you lose no more weight) increase the period of resistance band usage and increase the resistance every week
  • Try eating slowly, trust me if you have an hour for lunch take 45 minutes to eat it
  • If possible eat a fist sized meal every ~3 hours high in protein and fiber
  • Again, I can't stress enough the importance of not eating or drinking before going to sleep
  • *edit*Honey is free, its good for you and you can eat as much as you like--use this to sweeten any foods that you don't normally prefer in a fresh state
There are alot more "little" things I did too

*edit*
I forgot to mention I went from a 42" waist to a 36" waist.

*edit2*
Resistance bands should be your first exercise method choice. They are much less impact than lifting weights, running, and pretty much any of the "conventional" exercises.

This sounds a little too strict in my opinion, but hey, it worked for you, a 👍 for that ;) There are a lot people that try to loose weight by not eating anything, and trying to train a lot. That's the worst thing you can possibly do since you'll have no energy, and that day will come that you'll just fall to the floor trying to get your feet off the ground...

My exercise routine normally consists of about an hour cardio Monday to Friday. After the cardio I generally do free weights (nothing really heavy), just enough to start toning.

Your really going to have to regular cardio in. Rowing, cycling, running are all good. If you get bored, do half an hour cycling then half an hour running.

Diet wise, I generally eat very heathily, normally fruit in the morning. Sandwiches consist of brown bread, minimal spread of butter and normally chicken salad. If you are going to eat pasta, buy wholemeal as white pasta is normally refined. It's good to have snacks in between meals, I usually have rice cakes, raisins in yoghurt coating etc. When you start exercising you may find that your energy levels are really low. Try having a banana about an hour before as it's good for slow energy release. Don't forget to drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise.

Apart from that your going to have to get exercising and burn plenty of calories.

Same as as in the beginning, excellent advice :cheers:

@JCE: Great advise on weight loss. What's your brother say about more smaller meals during the day, like 5-6 meals to help increase the body's metabolism?

Basic rules of diet/nutrition and exercise can produce healthy results.

I try to eat 5-6 times a day as well, though the portions are not so large...

I also drink lots of water, so much I'm beginning to think; Is 3 litres a day too much? :D Not kidding now ;)

What's wrong with carrots?

Nothing. They're delicious, and extremely healthy.

Also, about bananas, don't worry waiting an hour, it'll be gone. A banana is probably the best thing on earth to get energy, fast. Take one, and go out there 👍

Also, the training must suit you, don't try and impress others, do as it suits your body best. When you feel tired, REST. Don't begin to press yourself to run or whatever. Remember, training breaks down muscles, muscles build up again when you are resting after your training, so don't run an hour for 7 days a week, you'll never be able to keep it going.

Good luck 👍

I've lost half a stone in the last month, I'm near the weight I wanted t be but I still have a bit more a gut than I'd like. I've got a bit more active. I've got back into a local football team and the team plays every Monday (11 a side), I'm playing badminton with the missues and a couple we're friends with once a week as well and anything else in between (including a friendly kick around some Sundays) but I've at least got an active routine going now.

Like I've said before I have no intention, desire or motivation to get myself bulked and super fit. I just want to be in shape, I'm not cutting out the pub and I'm not cutting out takeaways but I'm managing them better like no late night eating and I'm drinkin gless, which has two benefits 1, less weight and 2, more money. I don't get drunk easilly so I often find myself drinking and drinking, not fast but consistenly through a night out. Now I'm splitting my nights to maybe alcahol earlier in the night and soft drinks later on, though not always.

So I'm 12st 3bs as of this morning which is better than the 12st 10lbs I was when I typed my last message. And while before I might have gone below 12 and a half for the odd day or two, I've been 12st 2-3 for the last week or so every morning. So it looks like I'm finally burning more than I'm talking in, I just need to keep the active routine going and hopefully it's just a matter time before I start using the next notch down on my belts.

Sounds like you're on the right route, nice one Dai 👍

I don't know if you want to bring in a short jog just to give you that extra edge when it comes to 11-a-side, doesn't need to be any more than 30 mins I imagine.

Back