Getting Started in Sim Racing - Share Your Approach!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 7 comments

SlipZtrEm

can't kick this feeling
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
Hey guys,

As you may have noticed, this is the year of the racing game. We've never had so many big names releasing so close together. Unsurprisingly, that also means a swell in hardware announcements. Fanatec and Thrustmaster in particular have released a few new items already, and even more are in the pipeline. We've done a few reviews — and more will be coming this fall — but what we haven't really looked at is how exactly someone gets started in this crazy world of digital car racing.

That's where you guys come in.

We're planning on getting an article/series of articles together that walks people through the first steps of sim racing. The well of knowledge around these parts is impressively vast, and we'd love to pick your brains to get a better, more informed approach. What worked for you? What would you avoid if you had to do it again? What terms made precisely zero sense to you when starting? :P

The goal is to provide a helpful, honest appraisal of how someone that's only ever played on a pad can get started. This hobby can get pretty expensive, after all, and with limited opportunities to try before you buy, we think first-hand experience from those who've already done it is invaluable.

Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts!

:cheers:

I think the first thing to do is to decide what games interest you the most and then pick a platform that supports those games. Given that the wheel market is still pretty bifurcated, it is critical newcomers understand what titles and what wheels are compatible with the various platforms. An all encompassing overview of this would be very beneficial. I would also included various budget tiered recommendations.

I think sim racing on the PC might need a separate "how to" vs consoles, since the latter is 90% plug and play. Again, starting with a software and hardware overview... but then getting into more specifics. Building a PC for sim racing, a guide of league racing, modding, etc. Also highlighting the difference in communities between titles (iRacing is straight competition, while AC has casual racing and drift communities, etc).

Honestly though, most of sim racing is just figuring it out as you go along. Outside of navigating hardware and software technicalities, the only piece of advice I would give is, just go sim racing. Oh and if you have a choice, and are not a die hard GT fan, get a PC over a console.

The goal is to provide a helpful, honest appraisal of how someone that's only ever played on a pad can get started.

I think that maybe potentialy offensive to some pad users who consider themselves to be sim racers. Are we really assuming that someone who uses a pad is not a sim racer, & that one has to use a wheel to be considered a sim racer? I think what makes someone a sim racer is if they like, appreciate & play motor racing simulations, not what peripheral they use to control the software with.

VBR
I think that maybe potentialy offensive to some pad users who consider themselves to be sim racers. Are we really assuming that someone who uses a pad is not a sim racer, & that one has to use a wheel to be considered a sim racer? I think what makes someone a sim racer is if they like, appreciate & play motor racing simulations, not what peripheral they use to control the software with.

I should clarify: get started in the world of sim racing accessories. That's why this post is in this section of the forums. As one of the people that can't stand the elitist attitudes of some "wheel-or-nothing" folks, I don't want to imply those on pads aren't sim racers!

Just hoping this becomes a good resource for those that have never touched a wheel, but want to. 👍

VBR

I think pad players can definitely be sim racers, but I don't think it's fair to compare lap times between people who use pads versus people who race with wheels. Using a wheel is much more complicated to use, especially if you're going full manual with a clutch pedal and stick shifter.

The first option I'd suggest is to find a game they like. Don't mind what other people think. They can say it's Sim-cade, not fun for them. Whatever works for you. The point is to find a game that you will want to get faster at. I started getting serious with NFS:Underground 2, doing time attacks against other people on forums. It's nowhere near a sim, still had to learn setups trade-offs, racing lines, etc.

Also, getting intimidated is normal. You won't be fast. Hell, you will be slow, you will wreck, you won't know how anything works at first. Start at the base, don't try to tweak things you don't understand. Learn the absolute basics of the game you love, and then start playing around, reading what other people do to get better (practice, videos, online lobbies, etc) and do that! Try different approaches to improve yourself.

Lots of trial and error in sim racing :)

I should clarify: get started in the world of sim racing accessories. That's why this post is in this section of the forums. As one of the people that can't stand the elitist attitudes of some "wheel-or-nothing" folks, I don't want to imply those on pads aren't sim racers!

Just hoping this becomes a good resource for those that have never touched a wheel, but want to. 👍

That's better! The original wording was a little bit ambiguous imho, seems I read too much into it. My bad.

If I went back and started again I'm not sure I'd change anything. Sure I'd have saved a heap of money but the journey is half the fun!

I'd agree with others that have said, 'Find the right game first.' A wheel is the obvious first choice. I'd go for one that you can attach to your desk and sit in any chair to use. You don't have to spend a lot of money to begin with (that comes later!), maybe even buy one second hand. And then give it time, if you have spent the past however many years playing with a pad it will take time to make the change. Enjoy the experience to begin with, the improvements in lap time can wait. And just ask questions. Many in the 'sim racing' community get a bad press and for some that is warranted but many of us just want to share the joy of the hobby are are more than happy to help.

That's in for now. Just a suggestion @SlipZtrEm but there is so much info that we pour into this but it's difficult to know where to start. Can I suggest you or we come up with a load of 'areas for discussion' and then on a weekly/monthly basis we can pick a topic and discuss that in detail.

Great thread by the way!

Latest Posts

Back