Good clean battle, but did I make a bad pass at the end?

• Thread starter gmaki
  • 25 comments
United States
United States
This was a great battle for the lead, and I eventually won, But with some guilt. At the time it happened I was sure I had made a bad pass and hit him as a result. After looking at the replay I am not sure. Interested in opinions on that.

I posted some of the lead up since it is some good clean racing which is always fun to watch.

I would say the move at the end was maybe little naughty as you literally ran deep to gain the position? However prior to that at the occasion at 00:23 you would have been wiped out yourself if you hadn't of backed out. You were trying to race clean at least which is the main thing here, little mistakes happen like at the end so I wouldn't worry about that to much. One really good mention in that video is at the Schumacher S you got off the racing line as you weren't sure about what the other person in front was going to do especially based on their prior racing lines which is really good driving to avoid a collision! So well played with that :)!

Personally (In my opinion) it's 50/50 whether you should/shouldn't have given the place back. Apart of me says you should as you ran a bit deep into that corner. Another part of me would say no based on the fact you had to take avoidance prior to that and you would have been wiped out yourself and you did leave room on the exit they just couldn't see you were going to run deep (Depending on camera angle that is a blind spot).

I agree. You went a bit deep and pushed him wide. He was still in front at entry and entitled to some space. I wouldnt stress it to much though. Both drivers didnt seem as if they had the best car control but you can tell both are trying to keep it as clean as they can.

And you know uploading from ps4 to youtube is super easy nowadays, even easier then recording your tv with a phone i reckon. ;):P

If you'd not gone quite so deep, you could probably still have held the inside line and unless he'd got a really good run off his slightly wider line, you'd probably have held the lead to the line anyway. Cheeky, but not the end of the world.

Ehh... What lap was that? I guess it's not horrible if it's the final lap. However, I'd definitely be annoyed if I got hit passed that
way for the win.

On the other hand, if it isn't the final lap, then it is aggressive. But that means you held them off for the win, thus the faster car prevailed

Are we talking about the last turn? If so, there was nothing wrong with that pass.

You were side by side and he was just a few cm in front before the braking point. You braked later, held the line good enough and he turned into you before you went wide.

I wouldn't worry.

Yeah like has been said, little forceful but not the end of the world.

If I had been the other guy I would have braked early and tried to do the cutback as you already had the inside line.

I think its slightly forced, but its in no way forcing him off the track (if he tried he was able to drive to the left of you for the entire turn). And looking at the entire duel, i found it clean racing and a very nice defensive action.

50/50. Some stweards could give you a DT while others could consider it a racing incident.

Best thing to learn from that is to never give the inside line on that corner, especially in the last lap. :)

Good clean racing overall. 👍

In my opinion absolutely nothing wrong with that. You cleanly gained the inside line for the final corner. Yes you missed the apex but there was more than a cars width on the outside, and you didn't turn into him, he turned into you. In my eyes, running past the apex like that is no different to lifting at the apex to prevent the other car getting a better exit, which is what they should have done coming out of the chicane to prevent you getting a run up the inside in the first place.

Yes I would be very annoyed if you had passed me like that for the win, but not at the move itself but the fact I let you get in that position to begin with.

Not bad, you just went a little wide. Are you using a controller? Cause you seem to brake too hard and could have kept your position in 1st after your first overtake if you didn't slow down much.

A little forceful, but, he left the door open into the chicane, and coming out, so, a late/deep effort there should have been expected. I'm sure you didn't mean to run deep, stuff happens. Were I him in that situation, I too would have looked for the undercut and tried for the run out rather than turning in with hopes you had everything 100% under control. Likely would have still lost, but, better than the contact and having no shot at it.

And you know uploading from ps4 to youtube is super easy nowadays, even easier then recording your tv with a phone i reckon. ;):P
How? Sorry for my lack of technical know how...

I would say that the move into the chicane was a bit extravagant, but it was his fault for leaving the door open. If he really wants to win he should be covering the inside when it is the last lap, which would leave you with no way to pull up alongside him. As for the move into the final corner, it was yours for the taking and it was just a bit unfortunate that you went wide and made contact. So all in all, you could have avoided contact, but it was his fault for not defending his lead and letting you overtake.

A little forceful, but, he left the door open into the chicane, and coming out, so, a late/deep effort there should have been expected. I'm sure you didn't mean to run deep, stuff happens. Were I him in that situation, I too would have looked for the undercut and tried for the run out rather than turning in with hopes you had everything 100% under control. Likely would have still lost, but, better than the contact and having no shot at it.

I want to know too. I know there is some way to use the share button and then do some hocus pocus to upload it? Frankly I find it easier to just whip out the phone and shoot the screen. Sorry I am an old guy and don't know nuthin' about these new fangled computing machines.

Are we talking about the last turn? If so, there was nothing wrong with that pass.

You were side by side and he was just a few cm in front before the braking point. You braked later, held the line good enough and he turned into you before you went wide.

I wouldn't worry.

Well that is actually the only reason I did think about it. It was not the last lap but it was the 9th lap just about to start the 10th (and final) so it was a pass for the win. Frankly that is the main reason I was so aggressive if I am honest. Earlier in the race I would have held back a bit more waiting for a mistake.

Anyway I am not THAT worried about it, especially after viewing the replay. This is one of the few I actually felt better about afer a closer look than I did in real time. But I thought it was interesting enough to get other opinions on.

Thanks everyone for weighing in!

Great efforts to stay clean.

You had the right to take the inside line, but could have held a tighter line through the apex. When exiting a turn, try to only release steering angle if you are clearly ahead. Lots of drivers overtly focus on corner entry/mid corner for contact issues and forget that giving room on corner exit is equally important. If you are drifting wide through the apex (even slightly), it's usually not a good sign and your lap times would benefit from being more disciplined at all phases of cornering.

If you are side by side in the braking zone and going into entry, both drivers should maintain their line and give each other equal amounts of the track. If a leader doesn't emerge after the apex, then the battle continues through the exit and both must not initiate contact.

If you are on the outside line being challenged inside, maintain your line and avoid tightening your radius into the apex. Focus on your braking point as the outside line tends to allow for slightly faster cornering speed. Give room during the apex and look to maintain speed while focusing on your exit. Once full throttle, drive properly to your ideal track position for the next turn and so on.

If you have the opportunity to get into a rhythm with a couple of clean drivers over many laps, try to prioritize gaining experience in battling throughout all phases of cornering. Delay that immediate gratification for a win and instead, challenge yourself to raise your racecraft.

Cheers to all those that make GTS enjoyable.

Press the share button on your controller. From there you can save screenshots or save the last 15 minutes of gameplay to you capture gallary.

Or for recording a replay i do this. First go to PS settings to adjust recording duration from 15 min to an hour, this is just one time otherwise it automaticaly stops recording after 15 min. Then start the replay and double press the share button to start recording. When you recorded what you wanted press share button again and then square to save the clip to capture gallary. From capture gallary you can upload to youtube or use the app sharefactory to upload and edit a little.

Last edited:
That was great racing, good to watch, both playing fair, and when its like that, GTS is great. Though I did think you went a little deep at the end, though you could argue that the other driver could have taken a wider line as he should have known you would have gone for it, or he should have taken the inside. Curious to know how much 3rd place gained during this?

That was great racing, good to watch, both playing fair, and when its like that, GTS is great. Though I did think you went a little deep at the end, though you could argue that the other driver could have taken a wider line as he should have known you would have gone for it, or he should have taken the inside. Curious to know how much 3rd place gained during this?

Third place was not a factor. I think third and fourth had crashed out and were several seconds behind. Jquib took second easily.

Yes, just wondering how much time you list to 3rd due to the battle. Understand 3rd wasn’t a factor in terms of finishing position.

You were well overlapped before entering the turn. You faded a bit away from the inside but he turned too hard to the inside at the same time anyways. It looks like a shared mistake to me.

Back