Good Gr.3 car for a beginner?

• Thread starter RiotJuice
  • 24 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I've only recently started playing GT Sport and I've been having a lot of fun with it, going through the GT League, Mission Challenge and Circuit Experience modes.
I decided to move on to some of the online races and took part in my first Gr.3 race using a Porsche 911 RSR I'd been gifted ingame. I managed to put in a pretty good qualifying time but when it came to the actual race I found that the grid was flooded with Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3s. Is that car superior to all others, or is it a track-dependent thing? The race was on the Red Bull Ring which has some long straights; does the Aston have the best straightline speed? Also, would it be worth me purchasing the Aston or is my Porsche sufficient for the time being?
I would appreciate any help I can get so that I can improve.

I've only recently started playing GT Sport and I've been having a lot of fun with it, going through the GT League, Mission Challenge and Circuit Experience modes.
I decided to move on to some of the online races and took part in my first Gr.3 race using a Porsche 911 RSR I'd been gifted ingame. I managed to put in a pretty good qualifying time but when it came to the actual race I found that the grid was flooded with Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3s. Is that car superior to all others, or is it a track-dependent thing? The race was on the Red Bull Ring which has some long straights; does the Aston have the best straightline speed? Also, would it be worth me purchasing the Aston or is my Porsche sufficient for the time being?
I would appreciate any help I can get so that I can improve.
My favourite one is the Mazda RX-Vision, but there's most likely ones that are easier to drive and certainly ones that are faster. I've heard the McLaren F1 and Ford GT LM Spec 2 are the fastest in the class. As for easy cars, the Beetle Gr3 is a fine choice (and it's fast, too) but is pretty hated by the community - I don't particularly care. The Hyundai Genesis is easy but quite slow, and I think it's the same for the Atenza. I don't really like the heavier-feeling cars like the BMW M6s and the Mercedes or the ones that oversteer a lot like the NSX.

I've been using the Aston since before it became so popular, but on the power circuits like RBR and Monza it does seem to be the go to choice. I've seen a couple of Vipers and RC-Fs holding their own at RBR today too. The 911 is a pretty good all rounder but doesn't seem to get off the slow corners as well as the FR cars.

The most important thing though, is using something that suits you and practice to make the most of it. I've improved my Q time by over a second today just by running laps and improving my braking consistency.

Good luck and have fun!

I have seen a post saying that Race C next week is Gr3 at Mount Panorama. With the long straights there, the Aston will probably be the META again. So if you fancy having a go at that I'd say buying the Vantage would be a good move.

If you've recently started, then picking a car you're comfortable with is more important than the "best" car for each circuit per se. Car differences are less important at lower ranks, and even at higher ranks, Gr.3 is a relatively balanced class so you can't really go wrong with many of them.

A car that almost everyone recommends to newer players is the Mercedes-AMG GT3 (the newer one, watch out, there are two of them). It's very stable, which will help you get used to the physics of the game, and more than competent at high levels.

The best car is track dependent. Look at the top 10 times for a quick gauge of what the best car is.

I think the Porsche is still quite a good all-round car, but buy the Aston anyway. If you can handle the Porsche you'll handle the Aston, and you'll earn the credits back soon enough anyway.

The Corvette Gr.3 is one of the most beautifully handling cars in my opinion. The 911 and R8 are fast but a bit unstable. The Ferrari and RX-Vision have a lot of oversteer. I've also heard that the Atenza handles wee.

Any FR is fine. The Corvette Aston Jaguar etc. are all begineer friendly.

Avoid all the MR cars. I personally find then OK but I've been bashing the 458 and the R8 pretty much day one and you get how they are after a bit of practice.

I would avoid the BMW - it feels like a school bus.

I feel that the AMG GT3 (not the SLS) and the Lexus RC F are very good beginner friendly cars, as far as GT3 goes. Both are NA FR cars that never surprises the driver, and handle well. The 911 is tricky when the tyres wear out, but otherwise is a really solid all rounder car as well, if not lacking a bit in the straight line.

The reason why you'll see entire fields of one car on most races, like the Aston this week, is because the Aston is the fastest car around Red Bull Ring as Balance of Performance stands now. You can check your region's top ten leaderboards before entering a race to see what the fastest guys are using, which will usually be the fastest car for the circuit. Of course, if you're just starting out, I don't think there's a need to worry about which car is the absolute fastest - the difference between them is usually only 0.2 seconds or so at most. Not crashing, and learning how to avoid trouble on the racetrack, is worth ten times more than that.

One last word of advice is to just be careful about contact and deliberately dirty drivers in your lobby. The penalty system and blame assignment in this game has been exploitable and flawed at best since launch, and downright unplayable at its worst. Don't be disheartened if you get a penalty and SR down for incidents you feel weren't your fault.

Hope you enjoy Sport Mode more than I did.

Use whatever you want, just be aware within the class there are certain cars we tend to call "power cars" or straight line cars, most of which have been mentioned above, the Aston gr.3 currently falls into that category.

The Porsche is generally considered a "handling car" and some of the others mentioned can be categorised thus too, like the Hyundai. There are some cars like the R8 which fall a little more in the middle.

Just try out different cars and find what you vibe with, you'll soon learn what cars tend to pop up at which tracks, but until the top levels, META cars aren't nearly as META as a lot of people think.

Atenza can oversteer with early throttle. Extremely frugal with fuel. Tyre wear actually increases performance, when other cars are tapering off toward the end of races.

RC F is rock solid. It's an above average FR car. Pretty controllable in the wet, as an FR. Has enough grunt to short shift, if saving fuel is required. Tyre wear is average. Meaning it's predictable. No surprises of sudden drop in performance.

Mustang has a good turn in, like it's Gr.4 little sister. Top speed can help for a beginner, but be mindful to brake earlier, due to the extra speed. I place it below the RC F, for comparison.

A real test, is to compare Gr.3 cars at Brands Hatch. I feel anywhere else, the performances of MR & FR vary. If you can turn a quick time at Brands Hatch, in an MR, without being out of control, you'll be fine at other circuits.

Difficult question to which I can't answer feeling entirely right on a car precisely.

I'd take the other way round not as a beginner but looking backwards as if I was at the end of my GT Sport "career" I'd keep in mind the Ford GT, the 911 RSR, the GR Supra and the AMG gt3.

Because I like a car to be stable at braking and cornering, neutral on over or understeer to be efficient on early half throttle reacceleration while reaching the apex to exit a corner

Cornering speed matters more to me than top speed, and the 4 cars I've picked gave me that.

Last edited:
AMG GT3. I find that car the easiest one to drive and a great all rounder for all tracks. I like it with +2 BB.

Yeah I was the same but since the BOP change the Aston is hard to beat now. But for a beginner, as the OP asked, the Hyundai is the least scary to drive.

Cars seem to change every update, to a point where in most races, almost all GR3 cars feel equal, but easy cars to drive are definitely the AMG GT3, Mustang and the Porsche. Even though RBR is a power track and the Aston is the popular choice, it's a hard car to navigate but because it makes up with the straight line speed. But in terms like this, I'd say find a car you more comfortable with.

Hence in my case I'm the only one using a Volkswagen VGT because it may be wild but I'm one person that doesn't like using Meta cars, I like using underrated cars, makes victories a bit more sweet :sly:

Not sure if I should recommend anything to you since I am fairly new to GTS but have you looked at Toyota? Both GR.3 Supras are good cars for me and the GR.4 86 is very good (again for nooby me). They don’t have the straightaway speed of the Astons or McLarens but their handling is easy to get good at and I have not experienced too many base car problems (under/oversteer).

Citroen is my favorite BUT it takes lots of practice weekly to get ready for the FIA events because MR cars act different on every surface, turn, curbstones, gravel pit etc . . . (I am sure you get the idea). Lamborghinis are hard but GR.4 is easier to learn than GR.3 (still haven’t gotten good at this beast yet).

Have fun racing this season!

Porsche RSR. Great traction out of corners
AMG GT - very stable

avoid Mac F1 GTR - very quick but spiky
I also dislike the Huracan but maybe MR doesn't suit my style

I started my Gr.3 experience with the Mustang. It's gutsy, handles alright, and not too slow. It's a good starting point!

I like the corvette. It’s a good car for balance all around and won’t get eaten up on the straights for lack of power.
Tcs on 3 bb 0.
Driving line aids on.
Slow is smooth smooth is fast.
The vette does everything pretty well but it’s really really good on certain circuits.
On those where it’s not the best, it’s still competitive.
Plus after spending a bunch of time in it it gives you a baseline feel towards some of the more specialized cars.

I did the Bathurst endurance with the Corvette and its a winner. Just ABS0 and its such a smooth fast faultless viceless drive. Front MR chassis 50/50 balance means the thing is just smooth.

My issue with the vette is it's only marginally turns in better than the Aston but the rear of the Aston is planted SO MUCH BETTER on exit that you can lay on the throttle far sooner. I WANT to like the vette but I can never turn a lap as fast as I can with the Merc, Stang or Aston.

In my testing I could always find a lot of time in the F-type over the Vette, but only by pushing it really hard and getting a perfect lap. The Vette is more forgiving, which is nice for a beginner.

If I do xx.23.5 laps in the Vette on a track I'll do xx.23.5 +/- a tenth or two every lap until my tyres go. In the Aston or the Merc I might get a xx.22.5 lap in but there will be no consistency and most the laps will be xx.24+.

So that's the strength of the Vette as a beginner car. Also, Gr3 and Gr4 are very similar for the Vette. With other brands there's a huge difference between classes, which might be hard for a beginner to handle.

Back