Good second hand starter setup for ~£500

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 9 comments
United Kingdom
England
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get my first proper DSLR in the next few weeks before a family holiday.

I have had a hankering for a proper camera for years now and had a good few opportunities to have a prolonged fiddle with 1100d/400d/7d canons.

Over the years, my research has focused mainly on canons, and the majority of my hands on experience is also with canons.

I've wanted a 60d, but couldn't justify the price for my purely amateur interests. I then settled on the 550d for its impressive specs at that price point, but I wanted the flip out swivel screen of the 60d.

Now, I've been browsing MPB Photographic, and they have the 600d on offer, at ~£15 less than the 550d, so that's a no brainer, 600d it is.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...d-canon-digital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-600d-52

Now this is where I'm stumbling.

I want a telephoto for nature photography, but I'm well aware that I'll get alot more use out of a shorter focal range, especially considering alot of my shots will be of my son in family holiday type scenes.

I'm willing to compromise on the shorter option and I'm pretty sure that the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS II will suffice until I get back from the holiday and look into somthing faster that I'll have to save up for.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...-fit-lenses/canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-is-ii-2

Now the tele, I think the 70-300mm 4-5.6 is a safe bet.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...fit-lenses/canon-ef-70-300mm-f-4-5.6-is-usm-2

What do we think? I've used the 18-55mm on a 400d and was more than happy with its range and daytime performance to use it as a general lens, but I've never used the 70-300mm or a 600d.

I'm pretty set on the 600d, but is there another lens combination, covering the same sort of range that I'm missing that could be a better option?

I'll be saving up for a couple of fast primes in time, I just want a couple of lenses to get me through the holiday whilst keeping costs to ~£500-£550.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Canon T1i/500D and have been very happy with it so far so I'd imagine a 600D would provide you with a similar experience. Nice choice. 👍

As for glass, the 18-55 EF-S will have issues with night time or low light shots but does a fine job during the day. No, it's not L glass quality, but it also isn't accompanied by L glass prices. Also, with as short as the focal length is, if you'd like to save a few bucks, I'm not sure you'd need IS for this lens. The extra £30 wouldn't be the end of the world, either, and it might be nice to have the extra assurity in your pocket.

The 70-300. It's an EF, not an EF-S lens so you'll have an equivalent range of 112-480mm (1.6x multiplier because of the APS-C sensor) meaning you'll have a gap in your lenses from 55 to 112. Again, not the end of the world, just something to keep in mind. (note: I have the kit 18-55 EF-S and a 55-200 EF so I'm in the same boat you are, just slightly less so)

Also, Nifty Fifty. :D

TB
I have a Canon T1i/500D and have been very happy with it so far so I'd imagine a 600D would provide you with a similar experience. Nice choice. 👍

As for glass, the 18-55 EF-S will have issues with night time or low light shots but does a fine job during the day. No, it's not L glass quality, but it also isn't accompanied by L glass prices. Also, with as short as the focal length is, if you'd like to save a few bucks, I'm not sure you'd need IS for this lens. The extra £30 wouldn't be the end of the world, either, and it might be nice to have the extra assurity in your pocket.

The 70-300. It's an EF, not an EF-S lens so you'll have an equivalent range of 112-480mm (1.6x multiplier because of the APS-C sensor) meaning you'll have a gap in your lenses from 55 to 112. Again, not the end of the world, just something to keep in mind. (note: I have the kit 18-55 EF-S and a 55-200 EF so I'm in the same boat you are, just slightly less so)

Also, Nifty Fifty. :D
Thankyou very much.

The lowlight won't be an issue over the holiday, I'll be looking to swap it for somthing faster at a later date anyway. I was also planning on getting the 50mm 1.4 a few weeks after the holiday aswell.

My main concern really is the tele.

Another forum has recommended the Tamron 18-250/270 options but at half the price of the 70-300 from Canon I'm slightly skeptical about image quality at the long end.

My other question was regarding memory. I've found a Samsung class 10 sdxc 64gb for £21. Any experience with this card?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K7YLCK6/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

Thankyou for clearing up the that EF S lenses give stated focal length but EF gives the 1.6x, I was aware of the 1.6x but thought it was with all lenses.

What recommendations of filters would you give? I have used a graduated ND(I think?) filter that was interesting but I'm not sure why I'd really use it except as a lens protector.

Edit

I'll probably replace the 18-55 efs with this once I get back and have the extra £££.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us.../sigma-18-50mm-f-2.8-ex-dc-macro,-canon-fit-4

Last edited:
Another forum has recommended the Tamron 18-250/270 options but at half the price of the 70-300 from Canon I'm slightly skeptical about image quality at the long end.
Is this the one you were looking at?

I've always been a bit skeptical of those "does everything" lenses (ie - cover the entire range from 18-250) as they usually don't do any of the range all that well. That said, it looks like DPReview says it's decent so maybe it is worth a shot. Personally I'd still rather have a pair of lenses to cover that much range.
My other question was regarding memory. I've found a Samsung class 10 sdxc 64gb for £21. Any experience with this card?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K7YLCK6/?tag=gtplanetuk-20
That particular card, no but if it's an SD from a reputable brand, which it is, I'm sure it's fine. 👍
Thankyou for clearing up the that EF S lenses give stated focal length but EF gives the 1.6x, I was aware of the 1.6x but thought it was with all lenses.
If it's an EF-S lens, it's built for a crop sensor camera (like our Rebels) and won't even go on higher spec cameras. THose you can take at face value for the zoom range. Conversely, EF lenses are made for full frame cameras and will fit on the Rebel line but you have to apply the 1.6 multiplier to it. Side bonus - if you ever upgrade to full frame the lenses will fit but at that point you'll likely be looking for better glass, too.
What recommendations of filters would you give? I have used a graduated ND(I think?) filter that was interesting but I'm not sure why I'd really use it except as a lens protector.
I only have two filters (a UV and a CPL) and never use them. If you're buying one purely for lens protection, I definitely wouldn't use a graduated ND. Personally, I'd be more inclined to use a lens hood instead.

TB
If it's an EF-S lens, it's built for a crop sensor camera (like our Rebels) and won't even go on higher spec cameras. THose you can take at face value for the zoom range. Conversely, EF lenses are made for full frame cameras and will fit on the Rebel line but you have to apply the 1.6 multiplier to it. Side bonus - if you ever upgrade to full frame the lenses will fit but at that point you'll likely be looking for better glass, too.

From what I recall, you still need to apply the 1.6 crop adjustment for EF-S lenses. Their focal lengths are not equivalent, eg the 18-55mm is equivalent 29-88mm on a full frame.

From what I recall, you still need to apply the 1.6 crop adjustment for EF-S lenses. Their focal lengths are not equivalent, eg the 18-55mm is equivalent 29-88mm on a full frame.
I was not aware. I assumed that if it was made specifically for croppers that the numbers would be face value.

TB
I assumed that if it was made specifically for croppers that the numbers would be face value.
Yeah, unfortunately not.

But it would make life definitely simpler if the focal length shown on a lens was already converted to "35mm equivalent".

Last edited:
Azure is right, DSLR lenses show the 35mm (FF) scale. So you'll need to multiply / divide by the crop factor. What I will say though is buy the best glass you can get as a good lens will last you a life time. Invest less in the body as they depreciate very fast and if you're starting out in the hobby a fairly basic camera will do most if not all of your needs for now. Only when you outgrow the limitations of the camera is it worth to upgrade. Nature photography is a wide subject. For landscapes I'd be looking at 16-35mm (FF) and for wildlife 300-500 (FF), for birds >= 500mm (FF).

Keep in mind you can also shoot landscape with telephoto lenses too, you just get a different perspective.

A very good Canon telephoto lens would be the white 70-200mm (FF) f4.0 with or without IS, and it's not too heavy.
An excellent Canon telephoto lens would be the white 70-200mm (FF) f2.8 with or without IS, pricey and heavy.

A 1-10000mm lens sounds great but as TB mentions their quality is hmmm so so.
So rather buy 2-3 lenses that cover the following ranges
16-40, 40 - 70 e.g. the nifty 50, and 70 upwards. These are generalised numbers covering wide-angle, normal (50) and telephoto.

EF S lenses are for crop cameras only, IF you ever decide to go FF they're useless as you cannot mount them on an FF camera. The rear lens part stick further in to the body and taking a pic on an FF would destroy the mirror.

UV filters - two camps here (some love some hate) and I "hate". I do always use the lens hood.
UV filters are those items that vendors love selling you as lens protection. It is usually a 'cheapish' piece of flat glass that may well diffract light in your 'expensive' lens in all the wrong ways and influence your pic in the wrong way.
They don't protect either - you drop your lens the UV filter is NOT an airbag but the ads imply it is.

I have no experience with Sony cards, only buy Sandisk (and Lexar) and never more than 16GB.
I usually manage to near fill 1 card a day (I download immediately after a photoshoot) and I'm shooting with 25mp cameras.
But from the specs I see thats quite a fast card with lots of space.

TB
I was not aware. I assumed that if it was made specifically for croppers that the numbers would be face value.
You'd need at least 3 different scales on one lens as within Canon there's a 1.6, 1.5 and 1.3 crop that I'm aware of.

But you could alway make your own scale with a dymo-tape machine and stick it on the lens.

Thanks alot guys.

I've placed my order with MPB.

Ended up going for the 600d + 18-55mm 3.5 - 5.6 IS + 55-250MM 3.5-5.6 IS.

Both lenses are EF-S, so I've crippled myself at the first hurdle, but I can't see myself needing to upgrade body or lenses for a good while.

I will be looking to flog the 18-55 for somthing faster when I get back from the holiday.

I had a slight budget cut, so the £405.95 total is lovely considering the box of goodies.

I'm very excited to say the least.

Whilst photography will be a long term hobby, I'm more interested in getting a solid base kit to capture memories of my son, whilst still being able to get creative and have the options of new lenses/bodies in the future, without breaking the bank.

Thanks alot for all the info and I'm sure you'll see my photos popping up on the gallery threads at some point soon.

Back