Google's Rumored Console Could be Revealed March 19

Well more information.
It appears that it will launch in November.
With a 9.99/month, you will get access to some games at 4K 60 FPS.
Other games - Newer ones you'll have to buy.
In 2020 will include a base free model but only able to play games in 1080p
The 129$ is Chromecast Ultra, controller and 3 months sub, with Destiny 2.

Doom, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider trilogy and Division 2 is part of launch.

Minimum internet is 10mbps/1mbps

After watching it's like Xbox meets Playstation meets google.

So it's like okay. What does Google have over them?
A 70$ controller?
9.99/month sub?
No updates and everything?

Last edited:

upload_2019-6-6_12-34-38.png

upload_2019-6-6_12-34-24.png

https://store.google.com/product/stadia_founders_edition

Well for me the wait now is to see how it will run in real time . I hope they can pull it off . I dont plan on buying a 4 k tv with in next couple years so the free tier would be fine for me in 2020 .

I have this feeling of deja vu with the hype surrounding Google Glass. It might be incredibly succesfull or disappear within a year. Personally I tried PSNow and quite quickly found out a subscription based streaming based model just isnt for me.

I hope this doesn't kill console gaming :/
Why is game streaming continually dogged by this implicit assumption that it will totally replace gaming hardware, regardless if someone is for or against it?

What's the big hook? How is it more than simply another way to play some games, with its notable benefits yet grave drawbacks? Why can't it just be a gimmick that some people will enjoy, while the rest of us carry on with our own gaming devices?

I don't get it.

Why is game streaming continually dogged by this implicit assumption that it will totally replace gaming hardware, regardless if someone is for or against it?

What's the big hook? How is it more than simply another way to play some games, with its notable benefits yet grave drawbacks? Why can't it just be a gimmick that some people will enjoy, while the rest of us carry on with our own gaming devices?

I don't get it.
Market forces. When streaming is taken up they WILL stop making consoles. They will make games for streaming services instead.

Considering large areas of North America alone don't have anywhere near the internet speeds required for even potato-tier service, and are likely to never get upg
Yes but once 5g is rolled out in the major cities of the world peoples phones and devices will become the new consoles with hundreds of millions having ultra fast connections . Tge trend now is unlimited data for mobile phone plans coming online before 5g hits . So that really wont be a factor in the not so distant future .
I can now get unlimited data for same price on mobile as a highspeed internet connection with unlimited data on fibre . World changing quicker everyday

Market forces. When streaming is taken up they WILL stop making consoles. They will make games for streaming services instead.
What market force is going to transform the entire industry from dedicated devices to streaming?

Is it the sorely lacking infrastructure in many places all around the world, not only in the United States? The bedrock of hardcore gamers who care about the quality of the gameplay experience and value-for-money of their game purchases? How about stubbornly traditional Japanese companies, or the indie developers who strive to emulate the past to the point of crowdfunding physical copies of their games, complete with printed manuals? Or is it the competitive gaming communities that dissect games frame by frame, and are the fuel for the growing market for esports?

What about PC games being released directly to end users -- is there any reason to stop doing that? And if there isn't, how could there not remain a market for a device that plays games like a PC, no internet required (once the game is downloaded, when applicable), except it's dedicated to the task so it's simpler to use, less expensive, and more processing-efficient...? Perhaps you could even make a portable version of that, so that you can play games literally anywhere you can keep the device's battery topped up, not only places with internet access to Stadia servers. There's an idea...

What market force is going to transform the entire industry from dedicated devices to streaming?

Is it the sorely lacking infrastructure in many places all around the world, not only in the United States? The bedrock of hardcore gamers who care about the quality of the gameplay experience and value-for-money of their game purchases? How about stubbornly traditional Japanese companies, or the indie developers who strive to emulate the past to the point of crowdfunding physical copies of their games, complete with printed manuals? Or is it the competitive gaming communities that dissect games frame by frame, and are the fuel for the growing market for esports?

What about PC games being released directly to end users -- is there any reason to stop doing that? And if there isn't, how could there not remain a market for a device that plays games like a PC, no internet required (once the game is downloaded, when applicable), except it's dedicated to the task so it's simpler to use, less expensive, and more processing-efficient...? Perhaps you could even make a portable version of that, so that you can play games literally anywhere you can keep the device's battery topped up, not only places with internet access to Stadia servers. There's an idea...
Look at Japan for gaming. Consoles were massively replaced by mobile devices for gaming by the time the PS4 launched. Why do you think the PS4 and Xbox1 where such tiny upgrades to the previous generation? In my view that was a low tech low risk approach because they were not sure the console market still existed after they'd seen what had happened over there.

Don't be in denial over this. Once they decide the console has had its day that will be it. The next gen may be the last.

Look at Japan for gaming. Consoles were massively replaced by mobile devices for gaming by the time the PS4 launched.

Come on dude, that's a poor comparison and you know it. The way that the Japanese public operates with regards to leisure time, of course mobile devices (and portable systems, Nintendo ones especially) would supplant home consoles. You'd be better off using North America and Europe for a comparison - and consoles are still going strong.

Don't be in denial over this. Once they decide the console has had its day that will be it. The next gen may be the last.

And? When will that time be? Because it sure as hell isn't the strike of midnight for the home console in North America, or Europe at this very moment.

I get the worrying about Stadia and the future of gaming - but so much of it is founded on doomsday scenarios which really have no basis in reality especially when you consider that a good chunk of North America doesn't have the internet build up to even run it at a decent limit, plus Google's own scattershot nature with regards to large projects like this that don't see immediate crushing returns, and alongside the fact that if a person has a gaming PC, and at least one console (Or even one or the other) what point is there in another console that plays the same games, with the drawback of having to stream it and potentially lose it if the servers for Stadia go offline?

for now though, Stadia is really just a curiosity - sure, it's from a big company, but really anything right now is just speculation. Including the doomsday theories about it being the death kneel for consoles or whatever.

Look at Japan for gaming. Consoles were massively replaced by mobile devices for gaming by the time the PS4 launched...
Yet in spite of all those phones people already had, and all the mobile games they could play for free/F2P/P2W, a dedicated handheld console with games that can cost as much as 4000-9000¥ has enjoyed rapid success and enthusiastic support -- not because it streams games or works with the phone you already paid for, but because it's portable.

Japan wants portability. That's not evidence that streaming is the future.

What am I denying? Your apparent premise that there will soon be no market left for dedicated hardware, and games for that hardware?

In an era of crowdfunding, social media publicity, online word-of-mouth, digital distribution, mass e-commerce, maturing VR technology, esports, etc....you really don't think there will be any money in a "core" market dedicated to games as we play them today, for genres that are a poor fit for streaming? None at all?

Its called progress. Consoles will become like the blackberry once 5g gets going . People want instant everything .
If a person can stream from their phone or device on to a tv or better yet the tv has a stadia type service pre packaged with it .

wont belong infact before the price of a console is on par with a gaming pc price wise . Just about every game now on console gets compared with its pc counterpart if it has one . Factor in raytracing and other realism effects coming online and soon even the smallest devs will be pumping out ultra hd graphics for any genre .

Which brings us back to the blackberry comparison . They faded fast because both apple and android produced the future working tech which blackberry ignored . This will be a bit slower because the consoles makers themselves are trying to be in the streaming lane were as blackberry just didnt want to try . We now even see xbox looking into just making a box for its xcloud . Supposed to only cost 60 dollars i saw online .

Yet in spite of all those phones people already had, and all the mobile games they could play for free/F2P/P2W, a dedicated handheld console with games that can cost as much as 4000-9000¥ has enjoyed rapid success and enthusiastic support -- not because it streams games or works with the phone you already paid for, but because it's portable.

Japan wants portability. That's not evidence that streaming is the future.

What am I denying? Your apparent premise that there will soon be no market left for dedicated hardware, and games for that hardware?

In an era of crowdfunding, social media publicity, online word-of-mouth, digital distribution, mass e-commerce, maturing VR technology, esports, etc....you really don't think there will be any money in a "core" market dedicated to games as we play them today, for genres that are a poor fit for streaming? None at all?
Japan used to be the biggest market for console machines. Look at it now. It is all but gone. That is market force at work. When streaming services start that will determine what happens next. It will either fail, in which case more consoles, or it will succeed, in which case no more consoles. Or gaming PC's. They simply will not let you own a game at that point. It will be games as a service for everything and stopping your subscription will lose what you thought you bought.

Now look at what streaming is doing for music and TV. Look at what the internet did for newspapers. Once your day is done it is done. Progress does not stop for anything.

It will either fail, in which case more consoles, or it will succeed, in which case no more consoles.
Or they will live side by side?
Progress does not stop for anything.
Define progress. Do you think e-sports players (or many/most gamers in general for that matter) will settle for increased input lag, occasional image blur or the possibility of being interrupted in gameplay anytime soon?

Japan used to be the biggest market for console machines. Look at it now. It is all but gone. That is market force at work.
From where I'm sitting, Nintendo is thriving and Japanese devs are on a roll like it's the 1990s again. I don't think we have the same definition for "all but gone".

When streaming services start that will determine what happens next. It will either fail, in which case more consoles, or it will succeed, in which case no more consoles. Or gaming PC's. They simply will not let you own a game at that point. It will be games as a service for everything and stopping your subscription will lose what you thought you bought.
Assuming the worst case scenario, you don't know geeks if you think there won't be workarounds, open-source alternatives, or independent developers. "They" still haven't been able to stop piracy, mods, or hacks. Even on consoles.

That's your market force that will prevent streaming services from usurping the entirety of the gaming hobby, if nothing else. But I'd still put money on Nintendo sticking to what they do, for better or worse. C'mon...it's Nintendo.

From where I'm sitting, Nintendo is thriving and Japanese devs are on a roll like it's the 1990s again. I don't think we have the same definition for "all but gone".

Assuming the worst case scenario, you don't know geeks if you think there won't be workarounds, open-source alternatives, or independent developers. "They" still haven't been able to stop piracy, mods, or hacks. Even on consoles.

That's your market force that will prevent streaming services from usurping the entirety of the gaming hobby, if nothing else. But I'd still put money on Nintendo sticking to what they do, for better or worse. C'mon...it's Nintendo.
Nintendo don't have any other irons in the fire mate. Unlike Sony and Microsoft who have other avenues. Also, are you attached permanently to a TV in your house with Switch? Or can you, shock, take it with you?

Just to be clear, I don't want streaming to take over. I really don't. I like owning consoles. I just don't see them surviving in that environment.

Nintendo don't have any other irons in the fire mate. Unlike Sony and Microsoft who have other avenues. Also, are you attached permanently to a TV in your house with Switch? Or can you, shock, take it with you?
Exactly.

Just to be clear, I don't want streaming to take over. I really don't. I like owning consoles. I just don't see them surviving in that environment.
I don't see streaming working out the way some people think it will. It's a gimmick that some people will find handy, if it works as promised, in certain locations, for certain types of games. I really don't think you have to worry. :)

Ten pound a month and you still have to buy the games seems too expensive.

Average life of a console is ten years so that's £1200 for the console and you don't even own one.

Considering I don't even get a physical console it should only be £1 a month. Or for ten pound a month give me access to all the games for free.

Ten pound a month and you still have to buy the games seems too expensive.

Average life of a console is ten years so that's £1200 for the console and you don't even own one.

Considering I don't even get a physical console it should only be £1 a month. Or for ten pound a month give me access to all the games for free.
You might think differently if that console got updated with the latest cutting edge components over that 10 year period rather than being several steps behind at launch and being a dinosaur by the end of that ten years.

Believe me, as someone who has been making sure my PC is at the cutting edge for the past 20 years, a tenner a month is an absolute steal.

I spend £1200 every two years on a new graphics card alone. So to get the cutting edge of everything for ten years for the same money is unbelievable value for money.

Back