Google's Rumored Console Could be Revealed March 19

Posts about Google getting bored and moving on are spot on. They have the attention span of a toddler so unlikely they will stick with it for the years it would take to make this successful. Plus lack of any game studios (besides some new one they are creating) leaves me wondering just what they think they can bring that Sony and Microsoft can't do better. Xbox live is years and years ahead of them as is PSNow or whatever Sony calls their online. Good luck catching up in any meaningful way.

No console required? I'm down.

Plus lack of any game studios (besides some new one they are creating) leaves me wondering just what they think they can bring that Sony and Microsoft can't do better

They have several that looks like they are onboard. And at the very least they at least have Ubisoft on board for sure.

No console required? I'm down.
Yes me to . I have a older i5 laptop and if this works on it im also in . I think what people might be missing is if it works as advertised on a browser what would be the point of getting a console ?

Heres some technical numbers i came across

Google is partnering with AMD to build a custom GPU for its datacenters. It’s a chip that Google claims will deliver 10.7 teraflops of power, which is more than the 4.2 teraflops of the PS4 Pro and the 6 teraflops of power on the Xbox One X. Each Stadia instance will also be powered by a custom 2.7GHz x86 processor with 16GB of RAM.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/19/18271702/google-stadia-cloud-gaming-service-announcement-gdc-2019

Last edited:
Yeah no thanks, I'll stick with the next xbox( if it's a one X ln steroids) or who knows maybe even SMS new madbox if more juicy info is spilled.

It has been done already. Google has the money and its data centres so its is a plus.
But there is no way it will be OK in VR or in racing sims.

Video compression and audio compression always gonna suck - just look at youtube.

Even bluray is still better then netflix.

It would be a cool service to play when you are travelling etc but I don't see the appeal to use it as a main method of playing intense games.

Something like this simply won't work with the infrastructure as it still stands in the UK for example. The lag and degradation of image quality would make fast paced games unplayable. Silicon valley often forgets there is a world outside their super techy super connected bubble. I'm sure this all works great on Google's campus!

Yes me to . I have a older i5 laptop and if this works on it im also in . I think what people might be missing is if it works as advertised on a browser what would be the point of getting a console ?

It should work as advertised too. I assume it's essentially the Google's Project Stream that took place last autumn. When I played Assassin's Creed through Chrome it worked no different than if I was playing it through Steam. Sure, it probably wasn't the same graphically as a downloaded version of the game, but at no time did I think it looked bad.

Something like this simply won't work with the infrastructure as it still stands in the UK for example. The lag and degradation of image quality would make fast paced games unplayable. Silicon valley often forgets there is a world outside their super techy super connected bubble. I'm sure this all works great on Google's campus!

Tech companies have to design with the latest and greatest in mind. If Google designed its streaming service to cater to parts of the world with poor internet, then it would find its technology going out of date quickly.

As for working great on Google's campus, sure it probably does, but it also worked well on my home internet too.

Screen share worked perfectly for me and my friend while playing split screen only games on PS4 but more as a feature not a replacement.

I could see from commercial stand point a benefit in allowing to demo a game instantly after the trailer or a conference. Or play some interactive experiences spliced into the youtube video

Poor form how we're bumping an old thread for something which just happened, having to sort through people's impressions on rumours and speculation.

Anyway, this will be a success without a doubt ; the barriers to entry are really low because you'll be able to try this with very little risk. Screen, Internet connection and even your PlayStation controller will supposedly work and off you go.

We have a 400GB cap which we come close to now and again but if you take away game downloads, updates etc., we may not even need to increase our cap. I don't know what other people's caps are.

Poor form how we're bumping an old thread for something which just happened, having to sort through people's impressions on rumours and speculation.

The initial thread was posted four days ago, it's not like it's ancient.

Knew this was coming. I think it's fair to say the end play here is games you don't buy but subscribe to for a nominal monthly fee. Pretty sure there are going to be bundled 'life subcriptions' in the next few years where you pay a larger monthly fee to a single entity who then manages your internet, social media, car/transportation, tv programming, gaming, etc. Can't say I'm a fan, but all signs are pointing to it.

I wonder if 5g will enable a scaled down version of this for mobile devices.

I'm too old and dumb to have a discussion about this, but i can kind of sum it up.

If 5G with unlimited data plans are something accessible, success.

Here, in Brazil, and a ton of other places where all sorts of 'entities' are doing their best to make it harder to do things online, forget it.

I used ps now for several months and I really liked it and I'm thinking about subscribing to it after I platinum several games, but it is good only when you have instant as they say access to hundreds or even thousands of games... I don't need gran turismo sport in a Barber Shop or I don't want to grind dark souls while eating pizza on a roller coaster . The idea is cool but only for a limited number of people at least for now and I hope Sony will come out with great ideas very soon.
P.S I remember showing to some person ps 4 stream gaming via ps vita and I was so hiped everything worked so great but he/she simply wasn't interested that was funny and a little sad

Last edited:
In the near future you don't collect physical games anymore, or even just having list of digital games on your account, only subscription to access games. What a joke.

Last edited:
The DF video I posted showed the latency to be about the same as an Xbox One X played locally.
I find that difficult to believe, and I already had doubts about the veracity of DF's tests, no lie. As far as I know, it is physically impossible for streaming to match up to a local device -- certainly so under less-than-ideal conditions.

The video stream to my Wii U Gamepad only has <3ft. of distance to cover (compared to miles of lines!) and I can already tell the difference between a CRT TV, the 28" monitor I use now, and the Gamepad, not to mention your typical HDTV trailing behind all three (even in "game mode"). Over an internet connection, ping alone can only add to latency.

If I'm wrong, I'll believe it when I have it in my hands. But not on my dime. I have the other reasons I mentioned before to steer well clear of any service like this.

Last edited:
The initial thread was posted four days ago, it's not like it's ancient.

And is about the reveal event no less!

I find that difficult to believe, and I already had doubts about the veracity of DF's tests, no lie. As far as I know, it is physically impossible for streaming to match up to a local device -- certainly so under less-than-ideal conditions.

The video stream to my Wii U Gamepad only has <3ft. of distance to cover (compared to miles of lines!) and I can already tell the difference between a CRT TV, the 28" monitor I use now, and the Gamepad, not to mention your typical HDTV trailing behind all three (even in "game mode"). Over an internet connection, ping alone can only add to latency.

AFAIK, the best game modes on modern HDTVs hit about 10–20ms input lag. That's barely over one frame at the high end for 60fps games.

The latency issue is my biggest concern too. So long as Google can get it down to under 100ms or so though, I don't think many casual gamers will really care. This isn't for the serious folks — and hopefully, that means the more dedicated setups will continue on well into the age of more widespread game-streaming.

I kinda have to wonder if Google is trying to force Microsoft's hand, since they seem to be on track to attempt the whole "games as a service" thing in the future. Microsoft certainly has more to lose than Google in the event of failure.

AFAIK, the best game modes on modern HDTVs hit about 10–20ms input lag. That's barely over one frame at the high end for 60fps games.
I did say a "typical" HDTV. I have yet to encounter one that good. My Asus VE278H is rated at 10ms, which is good enough. No issues playing retro(-inspired) games or getting a squirrelly car back under control.

Last edited:
Sounds like a horrible idea to be honest. Every major game release would risk being a lag-fest when everyone wants to play the same game at the same time.

Also, I don’t see the point of making FPS and resolution dependant on your internet connection. Surely it’s easier to buy a good console than to buy a great internet connection?

I imagine game streaming will be pretty popular in the future, and it does have some compelling advantages... but I don't imagine it'll ever be quite as dominant as movie/music streaming services are.

Back