Gordon Murray Automotive T.33

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Gordon Murray to reveal a supercar GT on January 27th

"The next car will have a different version of the V12, with different materials, and a different version of the gearbox. We will keep the manual of course, but also offer it with an automatic gearbox, some sort of paddle-shift."

The other significant difference will be the main structure. No more three-seat layout with central driver. "It will be a two seater."

The T50 has an expensive race-type carbonfibre tub. Not the next car. "It's a completely different architecture." It will be made of the stuff Murray pioneered in the stillborn TVR prototype. "It uses as its basis the carbon fibre iStream technology," he said.

But it is still far from a mass-production machine, as it will be built in his own small-scale factory rather than elsewhere. "So although it's not another T50, it still sticks to all our principles of light weight and engineering art and exclusivity."

Some content that's not from shmee

1643310363139.png

1643310385006.png

1643310418174.png

1643310429005.png

1643310443619.png

1643310450266.png

The T.33 uses a version of the Cosworth 4.0-liter V-12 engine that powers the T.50. Here dubbed GMA.2, it carries modified heads, new cams, new intake and exhaust, and reworked valve timing. The aim was to make the engine better suited for daily use, with a nice broad torque curve and a lower redline. These things are relative, of course—that “lower” redline is now 11,100 rpm; the GMA.2 has a 14:1 compression ratio, makes 607 hp at 10,500 rpm and 333 lb-ft of torque at 9000 rpm, and delivers 75 percent of its peak torque as low as 2500 rpm and at least 90 percent from 4500 to 10,500. It’s still a clean-sheet, naturally aspirated Cosworth V-12, after all.

Murray is especially proud of the intake design. “I’ve always wanted to do a road car where the airbox is attached directly to the engine and moves independently of the body,” he says. On the T.33, the air intake pokes through the glass engine cover, similar to the track-only GMA T.50S. “When I told [Cosworth] 33 needed to have an airbox like that, there was a lot of silence, pregnant pauses and sucking of teeth,” Murray says, admitting that the request was, in his word, “wacky.” The four throttle bodies sit inside the ram-air box, feeding a separate plenum for each cylinder bank, a setup Murray credits for the GMA.2’s impressive torque curve.

The transverse Xtrac six-speed manual transaxle uses the same casing found in the T.50, with different internals and unique ratios. Unlike the T.50, this model will offer the option of a paddle-shift six-speed sequential automatic, similar to a unit Xtrac builds for touring car racing. Murray claims this transmission offers the world’s fastest gear-change.

[...]

The T.33’s chassis is entirely unique, built according to Murray’s “iStream Superlight” principles. An aluminum tube-frame spans nearly the full length of the car, with bonded carbon-fiber panels making up the passenger compartment and engine bay. Most carbon-fiber supercars use a central carbon monocoque with aluminum or steel front and rear subframes bolted on. “The problem with that is … every time you bolt something, it’s quite complicated and heavy, and it is flexible,” Murray says. In the T.33, the continuous aluminum tube frame has no joints, eliminating this potential for flex, and the bonded carbon fiber adds strength and rigidity where it’s needed.

This chassis, with its metal-and-carbon-fiber construction, ends up about 200 pounds heavier than the T.50’s full-carbon-fiber monocoque, but it will form the basis of multiple future GMA models, including hybrids and EVs. And the T.33 is still an incredibly lightweight vehicle at 2400 pounds—less than a McLaren F1, and as Murray points out, with a power-to-weight ratio that approaches the LaFerrari.

The suspension design is pure and simple sports car: Double wishbones all around, the rears mounted directly to the transmission casing, with coilover springs and passive dampers. There are no electronic suspension modes, no adaptive valving, not even an anti-roll bar at the rear. As he did with the T.50, Murray took inspiration from his daily driver, a new-generation Alpine A110, a vehicle he says strikes the balance between handling and ride comfort better than anything currently on the market. (Murray loves using mass-production sports cars for his ride-and-handling benchmarks: He took inspiration from the first-generation Acura NSX while developing the McLaren F1.) The GMA team took apart Murray’s A110 to see if Alpine had used any chassis or suspension tricks to achieve this delicate balance. They found none.

[...]

The biggest change from T.50 to T.33 is at the rear. The T.50 uses a zany aerodynamic setup with an electric fan sticking out of the rear bodywork that can generate downforce or reduce drag depending on drive mode. The T.33 uses a much simpler setup. There’s a deployable spoiler at the rear, but around two-thirds of the car’s downforce is generated by large diffusers behind the front wheels, which allowed GMA to avoid adding ungainly splitters or dive planes. The design came about almost by accident: While experimenting with virtual setups for the T.50’s fan-based aero system, a GMA engineer came up with a design that generated downforce even when the fan was switched off. That layout was adapted for the T.33.

[...]

The T.33 is priced at £1.37 million before taxes, which is about $1.85 million at today's exchange rates. No doubt, that’s an awful lot of money—though it’s nearly $800,000 less than a T.50, and around $150,000 less than the 200-mile Carrera GT that just sold on Bring a Trailer.

1643310394699.png

Another of his cars that make me want to get an MR-S. Something light weight and MR.
An Elise would be awesome and I'd love an S660 or a Beat. 20 years ago, I was so close to getting an MR-S, but couldn't justify it in NYC. Living next to the beach now, purely justifiable.

That T.33 is too sweet.

It's simple and classic but somehow still not pretty? Hmm. I'm not digging the front end design and grilles at all. It looks like a kit car.

It's simple and classic but somehow still not pretty? Hmm. I'm not digging the front end design and grilles at all. It looks like a kit car.
It definitely reminds me of some British kit cars, in overall shape.

I don't know, I quite like how it looks. I can definitely see the 1960s influence, there's a bit of 250LM, even some GT40 and Tipo 33 in there. It's the size of a Cayman and it's got a 600hp V12, that's just mental.

I don't know, I quite like how it looks. I can definitely see the 1960s influence, there's a bit of 250LM, even some GT40 and Tipo 33 in there. It's the size of a Cayman and it's got a 600hp V12, that's just mental.
I think that's the problem. It looks like a mess of various cars, without having it's own design language. I can also see a lot of Alpine A110 in the rear, which is interesting considering how much Gordon Murray loves that car. The front in particular just doesn't work for me.

From the Harry's Garage video, Gordon Murray says there'll be 2 other cars built on the same platform as the T.33. Also, this is the last non-hybrid from GMA. Their next car will be a V12 hybrid.

It's also interesting to hear that the V12 gets 20 mpg in the city and 30 on the highway

For Gordon Murray, he believes this is the like the spiritual successor of the Carrera GT

Things I'd change design wise:
1) Make the front grille more oval to fit the rest of the car's curvy lines.
2) Paint the silver "headband" and roof scoop black.
3) Add a fixed rear ducktail spoiler instead of the retractable one (bonus weight saving as well).
4) Reduce rim size by 1-2 inch (old cars tend to have chunky sidewalls).

IMO, the De Tomaso P72 is still the prettiest retro modern tribute to the 60/70s era.

Last edited:
Looks brilliant, a very pretty little car. More so than the T50 if I'm honest, and that's far from ugly in itself. Both cars fine examples of how much more appealing clean and smooth lines are aesthetically, compared to an overly fussy form.

I think it's fantastic. Very pretty. Reminds me of that old Tommy Kaira ZZ2 a little.
Was thinking the same, glad I'm not the only one who feels there's a hint of Tommy Kaira about it. A mix of ZZ and ZZ-II from the the front end there, to a degree.

Last edited:
I like it. It looks pretty nice from all angles, but the front has room for improvement. Though I'm not sure what's off. Maybe the lights could be a different shape, wider? More interesting grille?

Things I'd change design wise:
1) Make the front grille more oval to fit the rest of the car's curvy lines.
2) Paint the silver "headband" and roof scoop black.
3) Add a permanent rear ducktail spoiler instead of the retractable one (bonus weight saving as well).
4) Reduce rim size by 1-2 inch (old cars tend to have chunky sidewalls).

IMO, the De Tomaso P72 is still the prettiest retro modern tribute to the 60/70s era.
Is this car explicitly a 60s throwback? I haven't seen that anywhere spelled out. I see that it has some similarities to cars of that era, but I think it also has a lot of 90s qualities too. I see Mclaren F1, a little Lotec Sirius, a little Nazca M12, a little Isdera, a little Italdeseign Scighera, even quite a bit of the original Porsche Boxster concept car. It's like a compilation of the car list from NFS HP (the original one) wrapped up with some contemporary design details. Unfussy, great proportions. Like the Mclaren F1, I think it will age very finely. I like it more than anything in years, maybe decades.

Last edited:
I think its gorgeous, but only from the right perspective. I think a lot of the press photography really isnt doing it any favours.

Is this car explicitly a 60s throwback? I haven't seen that anywhere spelled out. I see that it has some similarities to cars of that era, but I think it also has a lot of 90s qualities too. I see Mclaren F1, a little Lotec Sirius, a little Nazca M12, a little Isdera, a little Italdeseign Scighera, even quite a bit of the original Porsche Boxster concept car. It's like a compilation of the car list from NFS HP (the original one) wrapped up with some contemporary design details. Unfussy, great proportions. Like the Mclaren F1, I think it will age very finely. I like it more than anything in years, maybe decades.
From the Road & Track article in post #4:

“I grew up watching sports-racing cars in the Sixties,” Murray tells Road & Track. “And for me, the Italian cars were absolutely it as far as proportion goes. And not just proportions, but the actual classic shapes and curves.” Murray names some of his favorites: The Ferrari Dino 206 SP, P2 and P3; the Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale and Giulietta TZ1; the Abarth 1000 and 2000 SP. “I’ve always wanted to do a car with those proportions and use all those influences, but in a bang-up-to-date shape.”

To each his own and all that, but it would be interesting to see what sort of spaceships you people who don’t find this pretty likes.

Same.

Just way off different type of car, but I feel it’s like the MX-5 for Wealthy sports cars. Lightweight, good proportions, it’s fresh, sexy and simple in one design. Minimalist, but has tech. Yes, it has a V12, but it seems analog. Well, I mean, doesn’t shout its power and what’s underneath the shell, compared to other hype(no ‘r’) cars. Classy modern sports car. To me, anyway.

Same.

Just way off different type of car, but I feel it’s like the MX-5 for Wealthy sports cars. Lightweight, good proportions, it’s fresh, sexy and simple in one design. Minimalist, but has tech. Yes, it has a V12, but it seems analog. Well, I mean, doesn’t shout its power and what’s underneath the shell, compared to other hype(no ‘r’) cars. Classy modern sports car. To me, anyway.
My dream is for Gordon to take the ethos of this car, but make it less exotic. Something around the Porsche 911 price point but with this level of focus and care, and I don't care at all the absolute performance figures. 380hp would be plenty enough it's under 2700lbs. I love that the T.33 is a paired back version of the T.50 (which is honestly a little over the top) but it's still $1.8m+...

My dream is for Gordon to take the ethos of this car, but make it less exotic. Something around the Porsche 911 price point but with this level of focus and care, and I don't care at all the absolute performance figures. 380hp would be plenty enough it's under 2700lbs. I love that the T.33 is a paired back version of the T.50 (which is honestly a little over the top) but it's still $1.8m+...
I can dig it.

On another tangent, I believe you still have an early Boxster? I’d say that is a good example of having enough tech and performance in a small package. More tech and performance than an MR-S, but not too much like an 360 or F430.
Fat chance, but I’ve had dreams back in the day of the McLaren F1 scaled down to NSX-R level. Ferrari and Lamborghini making something like the Boxster for us common folk.
Sure, the NSX was that car, but that ship sailed.

My dream is for Gordon to take the ethos of this car, but make it less exotic. Something around the Porsche 911 price point but with this level of focus and care, and I don't care at all the absolute performance figures. 380hp would be plenty enough it's under 2700lbs.
I think what you've just described is pretty much the Lotus Emira.

Last edited:
Back