Gr. 4 is pointless in Sport Mode

Should Gr. 4 be discontinued from daily races?

• Yes - it is a dumbed-down Gr. 3 and serves no purpose

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • No - but it should feature less often than it does

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • No - Gr. 4 is as fun as any other group

Votes: 280 90.9%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
jamiemb17
Gr. 4 is pointless in Sport Mode, especially now that we have three other groups which are better with the introduction of Gr. 2. Whilst being a perfectly enjoyable group of cars, Gr. 4 is little other than an inferior version of Gr. 3. The only thing it offers which Gr. 3 doesn't is some unique cars and different drivetrains (e.g. the Gr. 4 GT-R is 4WD whereas its Gr. 3 counterpart is FR), but this does not make it worthy of a slot in the very-limited selection of daily races. Now that we have groups 1-3, all of which are faster and therefore more fun than Gr. 4, this group serves little to no purpose to the game, and it should feature a lot less than it does in Sport Mode, if at all.

There may be a bigger issue here, as PD continue to limit us to three daily races per day, with many of us complaining on a regular basis that a given day's selection does not suit our personal taste. Either way, I feel that Gr. 4 only gets in the way of having much more fun races in the form of Gr. 1 and the newly-introduced Gr. 2. Discuss if you so please!

Edit:
After trying Gr. 4 out again a bit more, I see that Gr. 4 offers unique cars which aren't available in the other groups and it can be perfectly enjoyable to race in. I think a better thread would have been something like "Gr. 4 vs Gr. 1" which would have been more constructive of me. Oh well.

Last edited:
Gr. 4 is little other than an inferior version of Gr. 3.
Gr.4 race cars are based on road cars. Gr.3 race cars are silhouette cars, with no necessary mechanical relation to road cars.
Now that we have groups 1-3, all of which are faster and therefore more fun than Gr. 4
If faster is always more fun, why drive anything other than the Tomahawk X?

Gr.4 race cars are based on road cars. Gr.3 race cars are silhouette cars, with no necessary mechanical relation to road cars.

If faster is always more fun, why drive anything other than the Tomahawk X?
Come on now. There is a reason cars like that don't exist in real life.

The technical regs for Gr.3 and Gr.4 are pretty much identical in terms of base road car. The major difference is the power/weight ratio and (in the real world) fewer areas of development to keep costs down. Gr.2 on the other hand is a pure silhouette class.

There are fantasy cars in both classes, but they are all built to match the performance of real Gr.3 (GTE/GT3) and Gr.4 (GT4) cars.

Gr4 is a bit pants and recently the FIA races duplicates of the dailys (track/class). I'd prefer a bit more variation GR1/2 even more GrX cars and there are plenty of other road cars 90's Japanese cars sports cars to choose from. The current crop is a bit boring most days. I'm good with fast cars I suppose that is the sticking point for some

the very-limited selection of daily races

That's the problem. There isn't enough variety.

I have been banging the same drum since the beginning, but "sport mode" should not be a carbon copy of GT6's daily races, which is it now. It should be the online version of GT League.

Each event on it's own League schedule. As you go up in league, spread the times out. I wouldn't necessarily want an exact duplicate, but the same format would work.

And bring back TUNING!! So many more cars would factor into the winner's podium.

And bring back TUNING!! So many more cars would factor into the winner's podium.
Quoted, because a like simply isn't enough.

As for the Gr.4, I rather like them, but, 3 and 4 lap races, not enough time to put a race together, it incites barge/bang to the front contests of survival... and since they have become a one make (M4) in the longer races... ehn... no thanks.

I would participate in Gr.1 if they would get the VGT junk out of the class... and... Monza/Interlagos are crash fests, Nurb GP is sorta ok -too dang busy, which really only leaves Suzuka as a suitable track. IMO.
Conclusion;
Gr.1 desperately needs Spa and Sarthe... Fuji would probably work well too... and, I'm betting Grand Valley and Midfield would work well for them...

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the minority with you, I find GR.4 rather boring. I get a better sense of speed from the faster cars and since I never look at the speedometer that helps making corners efficiently. With GR.4 and slower I feel like I should look at my speed to figure out if I'm taking the corner optimally.

I still drive GR.4 on Bathurst and Nurb24/Nord as I would never leave those tracks behind. On most others it just feels rather slow. GR.1 and GR.3 for me, curious about GR.2.

If anything I would say gr1 is more useless in sport than gr. Gr4 offers closer, tighter races than than the crash fest that is gr1.

GR.4 on Nordschleife was just as much a crash fest than GR.1 on Monza, probably even worse. The slower the cars the more people seem to think bump passing is a valid strategy.

I've had far more awesome close clean races in GR.1 than in GR.4 where it's uasually draft bump mid corner to bump the car ahead off the line.

Last edited:
I feel Gr.4 is fast enough to be more fun than driving normal road cars while still being "slow" enough for beginners and other people to practice their driving skills. One could argue it takes a bit more skill in certain scenarios as the cars may not be as quick but handling isn't as good as the higher tier vehicles.

Like what? A mid-engined silhouette Peugeot RCZ Gr.3?

You said faster cars are more fun. Look:

So why drive anything other than the fastest car available?
Okay, I phrased my point too generally. I find groups 1-3 more fun than Gr. 4 because they are faster. Anything faster than Formula 1 is practically unraceable.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see the mass love for Gr. 4. In this case, I think PD's best move would be to give us four or five daily races. One or two Gr.1 or 2 races per week is not enough for me.

Gr. 4 is pointless in Sport Mode, especially now that we have three other groups which are better with the introduction of Gr. 2. Whilst being a perfectly enjoyable group of cars, Gr. 4 is little other than an inferior version of Gr. 3. The only thing it offers which Gr. 3 doesn't is some unique cars and different drivetrains (e.g. the Gr. 4 GT-R is 4WD whereas its Gr. 3 counterpart is FR), but this does not make it worthy of a slot in the very-limited selection of daily races. Now that we have groups 1-3, all of which are faster and therefore more fun than Gr. 4, this group serves little to no purpose to the game, and it should feature a lot less than it does in Sport Mode, if at all.

There may be a bigger issue here, as PD continue to limit us to three daily races per day, with many of us complaining on a regular basis that a given day's selection does not suit our personal taste. Either way, I feel that Gr. 4 only gets in the way of having much more fun races in the form of Gr. 1 and the newly-introduced Gr. 2. Discuss if you so please!

This feels like a personal attack as I identify as a Viper Gr4.

I actually really don't mind Gr4 tbh. If I am forced to choose between a Gr4 and Gr3 Daily, I choose based on the track alone. They're equal to me otherwise.

Gr4 is the worst class for races being 80-90% about fuel saving, but it's the 'easiest' to drive by far hence why your opinion isn't liked so much by the majority here :lol: (easiest in terms of getting round the track in one piece, still hard to extract everything from)

You find in the Superstars race a lot more of the very 'top' guys will enter it if it's a Gr3 race. I think the higher up the DR range you go the preference shifts more towards the harder to drive cars and classes.

@Jamie Bbbbb Why are you limiting yourself to only Sport Mode? Why not just make some regular online lobbies or look for some yourself? Or even a racing league since that way you'll always have something to race each week that you know you'll enjoy.

The technical regs for Gr.3 and Gr.4 are pretty much identical in terms of base road car.
All Gr.4 cars retain the road car drivetrain (except the NSX which becomes RWD as the electric motor to the front wheels is removed). All Gr.3 cars are RWD, either front- or mid-engined, regardless of the original.

There isn't a 'real life' Gr.3 or Gr.4, but with GT4 generally there's few changes even to the bodywork (although most are acid-dipped and have the welds reinforced), save for aerodynamic aids and cooling.

GT3 is highly variable, from cars that are closely related to road cars (McLaren, Audi) to those that barely share a single component in body or mechanicals (Nissan, Bentley). For most, the monocoque isn't even a structural component any more, replaced with a moly-steel tubular space frame. In fact the only production requirement of GT3 is that the car must use an engine of the same capacity and layout as the production road vehicle - it doesn't even have to be in the same place, as the Porsche 911 RSR shows. Even those that retain the basic body shell of the original car are commonly much wider and have suspension and powertrain components bolted to non-road spec subframes.

Last edited:
Personally I enjoy Gr.4 because they are slower and don't handle nearly as well as Gr.3 and above. To me this can be more challenging because I race Gr.3 much more often. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the faster cars and their improved handling, but for those of us who have never had the chance to actually drive something that awesome, a Gr.4 car feels more like driving something real and on my level.

Back