Gran Turismo 2 Sound Modding

France
Here and there...
SUBMANIAC
I'm creating this thread because I want to show that modding GT2's sound is doable.
I'm not talking about making hybrids here, but modifying the game's sound file with the help of gt2vol.

Below is a video I made on that.

A long time ago, I managed to extract the sound files from the .es files found in the engine folder. I then took time and trial-error to identify each file's corresponding car, and muffler type. After that, it was only a matter of switching names around so that whatever car I want to mod get to use this sound file as it's stock muffler, sport, semi-race, or race muffler. I can also change each car's secondary sound. The one that makes up it's "inside" dominant sound. Like the RX7's rotary whine. It's possible to change the AI sound as well, for both Turbo and Non-Turbo cars. Basically you can do anything.

It even works with GT2 demos as long as they have the engine folder hierarchy.

Since I can't mod vehicles and tracks like others are doing, this will be my contribution to the modding community of GT2 :)

If people are interested enough, i'll provide whatever I have with as much explanation as I can, because i'm not invested enough to make a full mod out of this.

As usual for me, this is an hour long video (sorry), it contains a dozen cars each doing a lap around a track with every (unless unchanged) muffler type.

--------------------------------------------------------

06/2017 UPDATE:
Porting sounds from GT1 is also possible!
Thanks to @B_rad88! for the files and steps to convert them.

Here's a video:

I'm investigating demo files as well. And I can already say that the GT Test Drive isn't compatible.

Last edited:
I've always been fascinated by the amazing thing's people have been able to do with GT2, what with the extensive car modding, or fiddling with the tracks. I've been a lurker of the GT2 "Searching for Hidden Things" thread, for some time. I'm pretty sure I remember reading sound modding being discussed in that thread, as an area yet to be explored.

I for one be all for more about sound modding, as I think it's really interesting since it's an area of GT2 modding pretty much untouched.

Was wondering as well when watching the video above, if it'd be possible to combine engine sounds from other cars together, like say combining one car's "main" sound with another car's "secondary" sound like the Rx-7's wine rotary wine for example, to create some sort of mashup
(EDIT: Just realised that you've already done this, D'oh!)

Also, must say I'm a complete noob when is comes to modding the likes of GT2 :lol:, so find the stuff that's been done by the likes of yourself awesome 👍. Kinda wish one day that I'll be able to do it myself maybe...

Last edited:
Nice job @submaniac93. I really hope we can adjust what we can do with the menu as well. Like, I few alterations between the beta and the release copies. I have some demos on my PC, but I am going to download UltraISO to see what I can do.

@Michelin Man Trust me, i'm far from the best of us. I'm just doing my own thing using what people made ^^
And yup, i've done that, though it's pretty ugly, for the Viper all the way at the end.
Thanks for the praise!

@JakeMR2 I wish but the menu sounds are in other file unfortunately. But i'm happier with being able to change around the sounds of the cars :)
I'm pretty sure that with a little bit of time/patience we could make the game sound better than it did before.

@submaniac93 I admire the modesty, certainly can do a hell of lot more than what i could ever do (but that's not hard as I'm kack :lol:)

Also, was wondering if it would be at all possible to combine the main engine sounds from other cars (not the secondary sounds) to create a mashup, or new sound altogether 💡

@submaniac93 I admire the modesty, certainly can do a hell of lot more than what i could ever do (but that's not hard as I'm kack :lol:)

Also, was wondering if it would be at all possible to combine the main engine sounds from other cars (not the secondary sounds) to create a mashup, or new sound altogether 💡
The problem with that is some cars have a different RPM sound bytes, which can be quite hard to really alter the sound to fit the RPM with sound ripping programs that you can alter the sound RPM. Like for example, A Honda S2000 sound to a Honda Civic 3 door, they both have different RPM engine sounds, thus. Why I think it would be hard unless you know what you can do with these sounds.

@JakeMR2 Actually, you would be surprised. I know I was, but there's only a few cars that had a pitch dissonance. Actually, it's only with the secondary sound. But for what i've done (about 20), most are okay. A lot less than with GT1 when I make a hybrid that uses sound files from other cars (yes, i've actually tried and succeeded at making an incomplete list of car sounds that are changeable via the muffler modifier code lol)

@Michelin Man I would love to, but so far not possible. The problem being that i'm renaming/replacing the compressed files *.es using a list from the sounds i've extracted. Reasn being that we can't yet recombine the sound files into .es file. As soon as this becomes possible, we'll be able to create our own engine sounds :D And wouldn't that be awesome....

Ah, ok, but you never know. with the level of progress that's been made with other areas of modding in GT2 over past 18 odd years, who knows, and as you say, if we could create our own engine sounds, that'd be epic...

Hopefully. I'm more interested in getting to look at what GT1 has yet to offer though :) It's almost the only game that is a mystery apart from hybrids. Weird how the first game, which should be the least protected since they were still learning, managed to hold its contents for 2 decades when GT5 cars are already able to be extracted (but very difficult to achieve from what i've seen). I want to look at the demo's contents! I want to bring back the old lost cars! I wan them alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll HARHARHARH*cough* Ahem. Yes, that would be quite lovely.

Funny that isn't it? The oldest and first GT in the franchise, is the one we the least about :lol:. Have certainly noticed that there's been much less findings in GT1 compared to say GT2 & 3.

Funny as well, that GT1 is the only GT I have never officially owned (bought it for a friend many years ago, who wasn't even a big fan of racing anyway, why I don't know), but despite the odd race on, have never played through. So I know much less about than I'd like myself too, hence looking for a copy now, to play through for the first time :D.

Anyway sorry, that story was a little off topic :lol:

Nah it's okay. Everyone has their own story about it. My very first owned GT was GT2, then my brother gave me his old GT1 cd, which was unfortunately too scratched up for me to play with. So i've always had that longing to be able to play GT1. Then I got GT4 with my PS2 in 2005, and GT3 much later. ^^

That's some neat stuff up there @submaniac93 ! 👍

I'd love to port some GT1 stuff to GT2, especially the beta RMs like the Copperhead and the NSXs... and why not the NSX-R GT1 Turbo, the Silvia LM and the Chaser LM?

But back to the sound modding subject, my first shot at a 'custom' engine sound file would be one for the CLK-GTR, just in case we chance upon its body model in some early enough build of GT2 (which would more than likely use placeholder .es files for most cars)...

Last edited:
Unfortunately as far as I know, demos only had a limited number of sound files, which is why a lot of cars sound like a Honda Prelude.

This is the list for the demo I used which is of the earliest build of GT2 demos I have. The one that still has sounds from GT1 and part of its physics.
Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine Demo Disc 27 (USA)

cbt.es
cbt_n.es (I think those are the AI sound, but with different names than in the final)
css.es
css_n.es
gtr (Skyline R34)
gtr_nl
int (Integra?)
int_n
an lan_nl (Lancer EVOV)
lan_t
nsx (NSX)
nsx_n
ss2 (?)
ss2_n
svk (Mustang GT? SVT?)
svk_nl
svq (Same?)
svq_n
szr (? Supra?)
szr_n
vrs (?)
vrs_n
wrx (Impreza)
wrx_nl

That's it. Maybe in more recent demos you can find more but I haven't looked.

And I definitely want the Beta Copperhead and missing LM Editions too!
I'll put the old model for the Cerbera in place of the newer 4.5 Cerbera, the NSX LM GT2 on one of the older model NSX, or newer, but I need room for the GT1 Turbo too. But I want to keep at least one of each bodystyle RM. Then there's the missing GT300 Silvia S14, then I want to get the Japanese Griffith RM model... and lots of others :D

Unfortunately as far as I know, demos only had a limited number of sound files, which is why a lot of cars sound like a Honda Prelude.

cbt.es
cbt_n.es (I think those are the AI sound, but with different names than in the final)
css.es (Corvette '96 Coupe or Corvette '96 GS)
css_n.es
gtr (Skyline R34)
gtr_nl
int (Integra)
int_n
an lan_nl (Lancer EVOV)
lan_t
nsx (NSX)
nsx_n
ss2 (Corvette '96 Coupe or Corvette '96 GS)
ss2_n
svk (Silvia K's, 180SX TypeX)
svk_nl
svq (Silvia Q's, 180SX TypeS, Primera)
svq_n
szr (Supra SZ-R)
szr_n
vrs (Viper GTS)
vrs_n
wrx (Impreza)
wrx_nl

Fixed for you.

Also, if you want to know what cars use these sounds in GT2 demo, here the list:

Toyota Altezza RS200 (nearly all cars in these demos use this sound, because it's the default car)
Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero (use Silvia K's sound from GT1)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec(R34) (use GT-R R33 sound from GT1)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR (use Lancer Evo3-4 sound from GT1)
Honda S2000 (use Integra sound from GT1)
Dodge Viper RT/10 (use Viper GTS sound from GT1)
Chevrolet Corvette 427 Sting Ray '67 (use Corvette GS sound from GT1)
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69 (use Corvette Coupe sound from GT1)
Dodge Charger '71 (same as the Corvette Sting Ray '67)
Plymouth Cuda '70 (same as Camaro '69)
Plymouth GTX (same as Camaro '69)
Plymouth Road Runner '71 (same as Camaro '69)
Ford Cougar 2.5i 24V (use Supra SZ-R sound from GT1)
Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione (use Impreza sound from GT1)
Mercedes-Benz SLK230 Kompressor (use Silvia Q's sound from GT1)
Peugeot 306 S16 (same as the SLK230)
MGF 1.8i VVC (Early Model) (same as the SLK230)
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 (same as the SLK230)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR RM (use Lancer Evo3-4 sports exhaust sound from GT1)

Last edited:
Fixed for you.

Also, if you want to know what cars use these sounds in GT2 demo, here the list:

Toyota Altezza RS200 (nearly all cars in these demos use this sound, because it's the default car)

Bump to revive an old topic with alot of potential!

So the altezza rs200 sound was used by the 98 rx-7 type rs? Did the gt2 demos even have a rotary sound? That would be an awesome huge mission, to make a proper/accurate "braaapping" rotary gt2 sound...... I would be in love!

Also the 6 car engine sounds in ps2 GT2K are in same format as gt2 and works in gt2!

@submanaic93 hey bro, have you had any luck with porting gt1 sounds yet? And how long have you been tring to figure it out?

Well..... you may love me or you may hate me for this, but I figured out how to port gt1 engine sounds into gt2 final! It works with some minor "cracks" once in awhile. It took me about 1hr or so to figure it out, but over all I did it! Its possible, and works!

Making custom engine sounds would be quite awesome. I'd love that.

Tbh i haven't even tried porting GT1 sounds over, so I will love you for that xD
I'd like to know (via PM if you want). Porting sounds from GT1would be awesome for me :)

Also, you could make a video to show the results as well :D

If I had a screen recording apk for my android, I would. But this thing is to old to do that (jellybean4.2.1 or something, needs to be rooted) also my comp is an old 2002 windows xp pro.

I can send you the 10ish gt1 sound files I have done so far. The only reason I said something is because you said you really wanted gt1 engine sounds to port into gt2. I found out its quite easy(easier than I thought). Ill send you a pm in full details on what I used and how I did it. If it wasn't for your post on gt2 sound mods and also sharing that list with me, this wouldn't have been possible. Thank you for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

also would you happen to have the numbered car list from gt1 do you? Cause the sound files are numbered 001-248, so I have NO idea what sound goes to what car, ugh.

oh also the ps2 gt2000 demo engine sound files are the same as gt2 final versions except the "stock" exhaust sound in gt2k is actually the "race" exhaust sound in gt2 final. But I still ported them into mine just for fun.

I think your XP should be able to handle a ps1 game. I know my '04 XP could and it didn't have a GPU ;p Give it a try I say.
Unfortunately, I don't. I may be able to tell you what sounds corresponds to which car when I get a listen to the sounds, but until then, i'll be going in as blind as you.

I think your XP should be able to handle a ps1 game. I know my '04 XP could and it didn't have a GPU ;p Give it a try I say.
Unfortunately, I don't. I may be able to tell you what sounds corresponds to which car when I get a listen to the sounds, but until then, i'll be going in as blind as you.

The ps1 aspec is fine (ps2 wont work). Its tring to screen record on the comp thats the issue. My comp doesn't even know what a mp4 is.... I'm serious. Its freaking old. And most stuff now out there is for win7 or newer. I get lucky and find old crappy vista stuff sometimes. But most is either newer or lynix, or whatever. This old windows was given to me by a friend so its free and its dedicated just for gt modding and stuff (120gb sata hd filled up quick, 70%) What screen recorder did you use to make your sound video?

And ok, I kinda thought so since its the least archived disc. Meaning we know less about it than the newer gt's! It also doesn't help with almost all the gt1 files are in .dat format. Ugh I hate .dat files cause of gt2, and now working with gt1 which is all .dat, ugh lol.

I used to use Bandicam but for some reason it asks me o reinstall it now. Xenn told me about OBS Studio, which i'm using now. Pretty nifty, plus it can stream if needed.

--------------------------------------------------------

06/2017 UPDATE:
Porting sounds from GT1 is also possible!
Thanks to @B_rad88! for the files and steps to convert them.

Here's a video:

I'm investigating demo files as well. And I can already say that the GT Test Drive isn't compatible.

Awesome video! It is a very surprising and simple mod. Probably the easiest GT2 mod ever! I'm glad I can help and really happy it works for you.

Edit: BTW, yes the GT1 test drive demo engine sound files do work in GT2! With some interesting results.

Last edited:
I'm replacing some cars' sounds to other cars'. but, I cannot specify what car xxxxx.es is assigned to.
Do you know?

You can't force the game to load a certain xxxxx.es file for a certain car, that's for sure, but you can rename a xxxxx.es to an other to replace the sounds. That's what I do. However I don't have a complete list to match files to cars unfortunately.

I'll attach what I have, but you'll see there's a lot to do to complete it. It's possible that I might find a way soon to complete it for sure. But that's a work in progress right now.

Attachments

• GT2 Soundbanks IDs.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 81
And like I said previously, the list is now completed apart from a few "???" unidentified/unused sounds. I checked as many cars as possible (with the help of a MoA buy any car code) to complete it as thouroughly as possible. Enjoy!

EDIT: While re-checking the file I found a few typos and mistakes, so the file has been updated.

Attachments

• GT2 Soundbanks IDs.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
You got my interest here. I'll look into it. There is a 99% chance they aren't easy, straight ports into GT2, because i'm sure they have a higher quality bitrate and such. But we'll see.
I'm about to call it a day, but i'll at least see if I can extract the sound sample from the file :P
*5 mins later*
I'll already tell you this. I can get the sound samples out of the .esgx so mayyyyybe we can do something about it.

(I'd also very much appreciate if you could get me whatever other .esgx you can find. they might be in folders named normal1, normal2, normal3, and turbo0, turbo1, turbo2, turbo3. I'm only guessing but they most likely hold the different exhaust notes for all the custom exhaust parts. If you can that'd be peachy!

EDIT: Also, i've found GT Trial Version demo car parts and settigns addresses. So that's my next sound serching project.

You got my interest here. I'll look into it. There is a 99% chance they aren't easy, straight ports into GT2, because i'm sure they have a higher quality bitrate and such. But we'll see.
I'm about to call it a day, but i'll at least see if I can extract the sound sample from the file :P
*5 mins later*
I'll already tell you this. I can get the sound samples out of the .esgx so mayyyyybe we can do something about it.

(I'd also very much appreciate if you could get me whatever other .esgx you can find. they might be in folders named normal1, normal2, normal3, and turbo0, turbo1, turbo2, turbo3. I'm only guessing but they most likely hold the different exhaust notes for all the custom exhaust parts. If you can that'd be peachy!

EDIT: Also, i've found GT Trial Version demo car parts and settigns addresses. So that's my next sound serching project.

There are engine, normal0-3, and turbo0-3 folders.
https://mega.nz/#F!UZEX2RiR!_hGCmh-pb7INVsVm5rOw9g

EDIT: you can extract .esgx files with PSound like GT2 .es files. .esgx files compose sound files, their structure may be similar to .es.

Last edited:
Back