Gran Turismo 2 Was Released 20 Years Ago, Today

Ahh the memories. I played GT1 a ton when I had it but when GT2 came out I spent at least 2 to 3 times more hours playing it over GT1. I still have my copies of both and every now and then take a nostalgia trip playing them on my PS2.

Also, I never skipped the intro video either. I really liked the song so I always let it play when I booted up the game. Lol

A current generation remake of GT2 would be most welcome like with Resident Evil 2 and now 3.

More developers should remake classics with modern graphics.

Man! you're a freaking mastermind. Never thought of that before. But just graphics. That game was so so so good touching anything other than graphics would piss me off so much.

Grindelwald

Red Rock Valley Speedway

Rome-Night

Tahiti Road

Great memories :bowdown:

Tahiti road was one of the best starter circuits in the series imo. Lots of fun I had in my Tahiti blue Mini Cooper. :D

Magical time. I was ten years old and this game kickstarted my automotive obsession. To this day, I still dream of a contemporary GT with this foundation.

So let's a conversation within a conversation going. :lol:

What was your all-time favorite car(s) to use in GT2? The S2000 GT1 and Daishin Silvia were my babies.

Honorable mention to the GT40 (both road and race) because they were second to literally none in their class.

What was your all-time favorite car(s) to use in GT2? The S2000 GT1 and Daishin Silvia were my babies.

Honorable mention to the GT40 (both road and race) because they were second to literally none in their class.
For me it was a lot, but, my favorites were the TVR 12, The 240Z, and for looks the CdmaOne Supra, By the way, I make a video in Shift 2 with a personalized Vinyl based on this last one, i hope that someone enjoy this race

Bought it on release day. While I loved the huge, esoteric car selection, parts of the game felt rushed and buggy compared to GT1, which was a rock-solid benchmark I played daily at that point. The sequel’s biggest letdown was cars merging together during side-by-side racing. I think PD was under immense pressure to release in time for the holiday season.

I have such special memories for every GT game 1 through 4. I played GT2 to the break of dawn. It really cemented the grind aspect of GT games for me. I get chills remembering how freaking dope it was to race mod a Mazda Demio at the press of a button. Especially at the time, I was blown away. Far away. What a game man.

I will never forget that day: the day i saw a PS1 for the first time

The only console i ever had was a Master System, with HANG ON.
When my dad picked me to buy another console, i didn't even had an idea about what "console" was. What i do remember is him asking in the shop "why don't you try it, to see if you can play?"

Well, he was actuallying buying the PS1 because both him and my older brother wanted to play Winning Eleven. Funny. They were the ones getting hyped to play a soccer game, but i was the one that got addicted in videogames. Too addicted, i might say.

Still, the shopkeeper asked me and i said "hey, is there any racing games here? i like HANG ON!"

And then i can remember very well what game he put on: Gran Turismo 2. I choosed High Speed Ring, racing in a blue Lancer Evo IV.

This was probably in 2001-02. I wonder... if my dad could take a look into the future, if he could know what he was gaving me... i wonder if he would still buy the damn thing :lol:

It's kinda funny, and dumb too. The memory card that came with the ps1 wasn't working. So i couldn't save any progress, in any game.
But that didn't matter. One of my dad favorite things to do was to complete those licenses. From B to S. Every day, literally, me and him were playing the same races and licenses, over and over and over and over again...

Ah man. I miss those days. There it goes almost 19 years of gaming and it all started with GT2.

For me it was the Toyota Altezza RS200.

I remember my 13-year-old self thinking it was the best-looking sedan I had ever seen (this was a while before it was eventually brought to the US as the Lexus IS). Mine was in yellow, and I had it modified and tuned to perfection. I used it in every race I could, trying to defeat much faster cars. I was enamored by the fact that the game allowed my tuned sedan to race alongside real "exotics" and race cars, and to me that remains the essence of Gran Turismo. That Altezza and I went through a lot... I still remember when my memory card became corrupt, and I lost it. It was a sad day!

The smell of the discs.... That was my first 'touchpoint'
I think I've seen just about every piece of Gran Turismo memorabilia that exists out there, but the one thing I have never experienced are those scratch-and-sniff discs. Do they still have the smell?

I'd welcome a Gran Turismo 2 remake a lot as long as it includes some updates.

· More points of view (cockpit, hood and roof)
· Day/night and weather effects
· 16-car grids
· Better limitations for each race (using PP)
· More cars from the late 1990s and before
· Maybe a couple of extra real tracks... as long as they look the way they did in the late 1990s (Fuji and Cataluña would be awesome)

My introduction to an awesome series from 9 years old.

I repurchased a copy of this on amazon back in 2006, being a bit older and having a greater appreciation, I made several game saves.
The effort and sheer brilliance of this games global representation of cars really hit me then. It would be a long time before a GT game gave me the same satisfaction as GT2 did, nostalgia or not.

Man I miss race modding cars, it was like creating your own little project, your grass roots racer! Having to add the racing parts yourself after the aerodynamic body work was done just made it feel satisfying, as if you were actually building it! Most of the race mods were based of on officially licensed cars as we all know.

MattJ155 shows us in his brilliant video just what cars we missed out on though, the what could have been. I'm sure it's still like this for a lot of GT games however even as of right now, and would probably make you cry if you saw what was deleted:(.

The CLK GTR and Ruf/Porsche race cars making an appearance that early in the franchise?(all be it through race mods)Flipping heck. Despite the cut backs in the game-and there were loads of them-this game is still a masterpiece of it's time.

Last edited:
I still think GT2 is the best representation of what the series' original vision was. GT1 was obviously a test in the waters. GT3 got culled massively in terms of car list and the start of the quality vs quantity trade off that have haunted the series ever since. GT4 was another high point in terms of career mode but there are too many dupes in the car list and a couple of tracks feel like they're just there to pad the numbers (e.g. Seoul Central). Then the PS3 era came along which we knew wasn't GT's best era. GT5 was too messy and disjointed, and god knows how many standard car memes there were. GT6 was better, but came too late and 80% of the content was basically the same as GT5 (of which 80% was basically GT4). So from GT4 to GT6 it feels a lot like you're playing the same game just with a few more cars/tracks and HD graphics upgrades. GTS was a massive shift in paradigm and a return to from in terms of quality consistency, but although I can see esports is the way forwards, the old GT experience of slogging out career mode and the sandbox aspect is gone. Who knows if it will return in the next game, but I doubt any GT moving forwards will ever be as eclectic as GT2.

So many weird brands never heard before (Venturi, Vector), lots of cool classics (DB5 + all the Detroit muscles), weird concept cars (Phaeton, GT90), crazy race cars (Espace F1), obscure tuner cars (Tom's Angel, Mazdaspeed MX5 A/B/C-Spec, full TommyKaira lineup, HKS dragsters). Not to mention the widest variety of GT300 and GT500 machinery from Taeivon Trampio FTO to Unisia Jecs Skyline. And I haven't even started on all the hidden goodies that is Racing Modification - so many race cars from various series be it Super Taikyuu, BTCC and who can forget the Mark Martin Taurus or Intrepid Dragster? And then there are the tracks - all the classic staples had their start here (Apricot, Midfield, Seattle), the one offs which were sorely missed (Red Rock, Grindelwald, Rome Night). Also significant for including the first real world track (Laguna) and rally including Pikes Peak (which we haven't heard anything since despite PD allegedly having the license for eons now). And if all that doesn't sway you, who can forget the first time they heard "From the East" while buying their first Bayside Blue Skyline? :embarrassed:

I mentioned earlier, all the BTCC RMs and SN95 Mustang. A white S2000 on BBS wheels, JGTC GT300 Trueno, ADVAN Civic 4-door, green Forester Turbo,.... somebody stop me!!! Fantastic memories of a freaking video game. So awesome.

Even though this wasn't the game that got me into the series, it is easily one of my favorite racing games ever. The car list was/is amazing, the RM's basically double the car list, some of the tracks were very unique *Rome night on GTSport/GT7 would be amazing*.

Some of my best memories were:
Saving up to unlock the RT/10 and fitting it with the best tires and weight reduction with racing exhaust and doing countless races until I had enough money to purchase and fully upgrade the Lister Storm into a RM and unlock the Speed 12.
Using the Elise GT1 RM to beat the nighttime endurance *I forgot the name*
Unlocking the GT90 with the Ford GT40 on Seattle endurance

If only they had more time and money, the carlist could've been even more amazing with car such as the McLaren F1 and the CLK-GTR.

For me it was the Toyota Altezza RS200.

I remember my 13-year-old self thinking it was the best-looking sedan I had ever seen (this was a while before it was eventually brought to the US as the Lexus IS). Mine was in yellow, and I had it modified and tuned to perfection. I used it in every race I could, trying to defeat much faster cars. I was enamored by the fact that the game allowed my tuned sedan to race alongside real "exotics" and race cars, and to me that remains the essence of Gran Turismo. That Altezza and I went through a lot... I still remember when my memory card became corrupt, and I lost it. It was a sad day!

I think I've seen just about every piece of Gran Turismo memorabilia that exists out there, but the one thing I have never experienced are those scratch-and-sniff discs. Do they still have the smell?

Yes! the rubber smell is still there!
The oily smell however vaporized completely...
Had to dig up my old PSOne discs from the attic for the answer #wheredidiputthemagain?

My introduction to an awesome series from 9 years old.

I repurchased a copy of this on amazon back in 2006, being a bit older and having a greater appreciation, I made several game saves.
The effort and sheer brilliance of this games global representation of cars really hit me then. It would be a long time before a GT game gave me the same satisfaction as GT2 did, nostalgia or not.

Man I miss race modding cars, it was like creating your own little project, your grass roots racer! Having to add the racing parts yourself after the aerodynamic body work was done just made it feel satisfying, as if you were actually building it! Most of the race mods were based of on officially licensed cars as we all know.

MattJ155 shows us in his brilliant video just what cars we missed out on though, the what could have been. I'm sure it's still like this for a lot of GT games however even as of right now, and would probably make you cry if you saw what was deleted:(.

The CLK GTR and Ruf/Porsche race cars making an appearance that early in the franchise?(all be it through race mods)Flipping heck. Despite the cut backs in the game-and there were loads of them-this game is still a masterpiece of it's time.

Really nice video, well put together. It would be magical if they were to include as many cars from GT2 as possible. Let us slowly add parts, keep tunning our ride and then convert it to full race car by means of purchasing the race body.

Back