Gran Turismo 4 buyers guide part one: driving tests

  • Thread starter Thread starter thenoose
  • 30 comments
  • 1,839 views
Messages
142
here is a sample of my new (in the works) Gran Turismo 4 forum, the section on which cars to get. In this sample, i will test those huge, monstrous, slow as hell sports trucks

#1 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner '04: Accelerates nicly and has a good top speed for a car its size. Test track one: Cathedral rocks trial II: handles well on small turns, but fishtails too severly. sometimes it will spinout on easy turns, if they are big enough. sometimes gets stuck if it spins out on hills. grade: C+

track 2: Infinion Raceway: only TCS, road tires handles suprisingly well, no oversteer, r understeer, brakes fast, and accelerates well. top speed is lacking
grade: A

total grade: B-

next review, the Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab hemi. yeah, its got a hemi.
 
Oh yeah...great job.This was a very scientific test that may or may not have been biased at all.:rolleyes:
 
Must have read Road & Track...

OO00000000000HHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
 
thenoose
here is a sample of my new (in the works) Gran Turismo 4 forum, the section on which cars to get. In this sample, i will test those huge, monstrous, slow as hell sports trucks

#1 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner '04: Accelerates nicly and has a good top speed for a car its size. Test track one: Cathedral rocks trial II: handles well on small turns, but fishtails too severly. sometimes it will spinout on easy turns, if they are big enough. sometimes gets stuck if it spins out on hills. grade: C+

track 2: Infinion Raceway: only TCS, road tires handles suprisingly well, no oversteer, r understeer, brakes fast, and accelerates well. top speed is lacking
grade: A

total grade: B-

next review, the Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab hemi. yeah, its got a hemi.
That info has just changed my gaming exprience 👎
 
personally, i think all trucks and suvs arent that good, but im fair to each car when i test them
 
thenoose
here is a sample of my new (in the works) Gran Turismo 4 forum, the section on which cars to get. In this sample, i will test those huge, monstrous, slow as hell sports trucks

#1 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner '04: Accelerates nicly and has a good top speed for a car its size. Test track one: Cathedral rocks trial II: handles well on small turns, but fishtails too severly. sometimes it will spinout on easy turns, if they are big enough. sometimes gets stuck if it spins out on hills. grade: C+

track 2: Infinion Raceway: only TCS, road tires handles suprisingly well, no oversteer, r understeer, brakes fast, and accelerates well. top speed is lacking
grade: A

total grade: B-

next review, the Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab hemi. yeah, its got a hemi.

:indiff:
 
Oh, man you made me spend good money on these trucks but none of them got Stealth Mode. :grumpy:
I checked the Independant Tuners as well but so far no luck.
For sure I'm gonna get busted by the Police Digital now.

Good :indiff: thing I can sell them but I will be taking a major loss.
Maybe I should of checked the 2nd hand lots first or read the fine print on the contract. But ya see, my eyesight is getting rather poor.

Signed
AMG_SLK
 
well, the trucks are good for only one series of races, the sports truck cup in beginners. dodge ram test to be supplied in under 15 minutes!
 
The idea of reveiwing cars isn't a new one, but it's good that a few people do it because qith 700+ cars in the game 1 person's not likely to do them all. However you really need to give more info if each review is just going to be one car at a time, desribe the lap corner by corner then comment on you're view of the car and what it's capable of tuning wise too and be as descriptive as you can, you'll get a good response if it's more in-depth.
 
Dodge Rame 1500 LARAME Hemi Quad Cab '04 test

rather quick acceleration, but like the tacoma, low top speed, and very responsive

test track one: cathedral rocks trail II: handles better than the tocoma, only because it dosent understeer or overtsteer as much, but i still wouldn't recommend driving it in a rally race.
grade: B+

next part soon!
 
thenoose
Dodge Rame 1500 LARAME Hemi Quad Cab '04 test

rather quick acceleration, but like the tacoma, low top speed, and very responsive

test track one: cathedral rocks trail II: handles better than the tocoma, only because it dosent understeer or overtsteer as much, but i still wouldn't recommend driving it in a rally race.
grade: B+

next part soon!

66 reviews trucks in the in-depth style of thenoose:

Toyota Tacoma: not bad, bit rubbish
Dodge RAM : not bad, bit less rubbish

outstanding work. you sir, are a credit to motoring journalism. :banghead:

66.
 
thenoose
Dodge Rame 1500 LARAME Hemi Quad Cab '04 test

but i still wouldn't recommend driving it in a rally race.
grade: B+

Are you even aware that people have been purposely using the Ram and other pickups in the rally races to score big a spec points, and because they fare well there???
 
NO, Clarkson is witty, funny and gets a point across.
 
blue_sharky39
Like Clarkson?

hmmm........I'd go with no. He didn't emphasise the last. Few words...........of his sentences.
:lol:

66.
 
live4speed
NO, Clarkson is witty, funny and gets a point across.

But he is a credit to motoring journalism :D
 
thenoose
Dodge Rame 1500 LARAME Hemi Quad Cab '04 test

rather quick acceleration, but like the tacoma, low top speed, and very responsive

test track one: cathedral rocks trail II: handles better than the tocoma, only because it dosent understeer or overtsteer as much, but i still wouldn't recommend driving it in a rally race.
grade: B+

next part soon!
Can you put your updates in your first post please, it would be ALOT easier to find the cars you've reviewed.
 
Dude just give up let the people judge cars themselfes because everyone has diffrent opinion about a certin car.
 
I agree with being more in depth. I myself have been trying to review cars recently and although m,ine may be longer than yours, I still have buttloads of information that I could include. If you are really serious about doing these then i recommend learning come automotive "lingo" (i.e under/oversteer)

**EDIT** Ok I do see that you used the words I described but still, try and be more descriptive.
 
Intresting to say the least...

I thought about doing something like what thenoose is doing, with my own set of cars, Infact I wrote down one or two reviews already, one of the Chrysler Crossfire, the other on the old 1963 (or was it 62) Z06 Corvette race car. The idea also came a bit from the top gear reviews by Jeremy. But I felt discouraged becuase I'd figure, 'who cares?' even with 600+ cars out there. But it would not hurt and well, everyone has their own opinion about certain cars, and of cousre one's opinion may get another person off somehow and try to prove them otherwise...

Take for example when I kept hearing a few complaings about a few key cars, one of them, The Ford GT, the other which I can elaborate on for now, the MR2 SW20, namely the GTS model, the turbo.

One felt it was a bad car because it oversteered too much, espically with additional power. Well obvioulsy you have to do stuff to make the car able to hanlde the power more and more driveable. I'm still working out a setup for a 320bhp version of it, but by messing around with the LSD, I was able to get it to understeer a bit, or get rid of the oversteer to a high extent as one example.

I can't say much in defense of the Ford GT though becuase I haven't tried it yet, same for the Zonda, I can say something for a few American muscle cars though.

But since I don't want to waste that much more time, I'll just be brief with for example, the ZR-1.

Becuase of an earlier impression of the Grand Sport model, similar C4 like the ZR-1, when I was introduced to MR Understeer much like being waken up with cold water poured on you. And despite getting much better with GT4, namley with the DFP, I still honelsty expected the 1600kg ZR-1 to plow in terminal understeer.

Which is rather low even for me becuase I know not every American car is a strait line, garbage for corners' machine. No...

Still... I was actually a bit surpised at just how well the ZR-1 handled, least to my skills or there lack of. The car (despite the weight) managed to go into the corners like I wanted to, with the obvious understeer limits, and some occsional oversteer at such tracks as the Nurburgring, Suzuka and Laguna seca.

Since I have to make this still short, I'll just conclude the only thing that really held this car back, least this 1990 version with 375+bhp, not the 1995 405+bhp with 180mph not off and 0 60 within 4-5 seconds... is the gear ratios. They are just too far spaced, they hurt the car a lot, but it seams to still have a lot of grunt, if I could only change one thing of this car... the gearbox would be it.

That's about it, hope I didn't break any rules...

Till later.
 
Man, reading that was a complete waste of my life
 
I like the idea of writing reviews about cars in GT4, but it would be much better if they sounded like those in magazines such as Car & Driver, Motor Trend, etc. For example, here's a quick review I just wrote in less than fifteen minutes (so please excuse the minor errors I might have in it):

Second-Generation Toyota Prius
Fun, but in a different way.
By Epinionator89

Gran Turismo 4 is a game full of cars, from the early days of the Ford Model T to the concept cars of today like the Mitsubishi i Concept. But what really makes Gran Turismo fun is the fact it mimics that of Grand Theft Auto; you can play the game however you want, with whatever car on whatever track (well, mostly anyways. You can't rally a Model T in Tahiti). You may want to drive the fast cars, while people may want to cruise along in their Fiat 500F.

Well, I got a different obsession.

Toyota got into the Hybrid business in the United States by launching their first hybrid vehicle, the first-generation Toyota Prius. This vehicle, when driven at slow speeds, could drive solely on its electric motor until the driver needed more power. In that case, the CVT-run gasoline engine would start up and help out. The goal? Get the maximum gas mileage you can while not sacrificing power, comfort or convenience.

Here we are now with the second-generation Prius, one with Toyota's signature "Hybrid Synergy Drive" system. With more power, better performance, larger batteries and an interior that would challenge the size of a Camry's, can the Prius be a good performer on the track?

On the outside, the 2004 Prius is obviously different. But while the Prius may get odd looks by passerbys, the driver will be smiling since the design has a low drag coefficient. This, in turn, also improves mileage since it slices through the air like a hot knife through butter.

Power is put to the front wheels through a CVT transmission, as mentioned earlier, so it's not surprising that the engine gives a continuous flow of power; while those in a competing car with a convention transmission will sacrifice speed by shifting, the Prius will instead vary the gear ratios; time is not lost. What results is a 0-60 time of about 13 seconds depending on your reflexes and track conditions. After multiple full-throttle starts, the wheels will never spin. I have never seen the traction control light blink for just accelerating.

With patience, the Prius is a good performer just on its electric motor (as long as you aren't actually competing in races and like to take your time). What results is eery quietness until the engines starts up at around 45 miles per hour. In places such as the Nurburgring, the Prius can easily go up to 60+ miles per hour on just the electricity. In fact, if you are really patient (give or take an hour's worth of your time), the Prius can use as low as .045 gallons of gas driving one lap of said track. This equals to nearly 300 miles per gallon. Impressive.

The Prius is not in GT4 just for gas mileage, however, so it is disappointing sometimes that the vehicle will get lower than 15 miles per gallon when you floor it constantly. What would have been better is a gas mileage monitor that measured based on how much gas you used divided by distance traveled instead of how far you'll go based how how far you press the go-pedal. Under such extreme usage, the battery power will slowly decrease, and after 25% of the power is used up, the engine will run to help charge it. Regenerative braking, when pressing the brakes lightly, can help as well. When the battery is all used up, the Prius' 0-60 time is twice as long, and acceleration is borderline depressing. Having all acceleration mods will allow the car to just run on its gas motor above 114 miles per hour, too.

What is also not surprising is the handling. As with all other front-wheel-drive cars, the Prius likes to understeer--lots. In sharp corners, whether it be the corkscrew at Laguna Seca or the the first few corners of Circuit De La Sarthe I & II, the Prius hapilly veers towards the grass unless the understeer-correcting ASM is activated. But do not set it too high (over 10), or else the Prius will happily oversteer depending on how you use it.

But what is a high point is its neutrality in larger corners like that before the finish line on Tsukuba Circuit. In the Sunday Cup, the Prius will understeer unless your steering inputs measure to full lock, when it suddenly starts to hug the corners nicely. Safe handling is not far though, because understeer will be most pronounce if you let off the steering just a little bit.

Braking is probably a Prius low point, too, with ABS kicking in early and stopping the car with distances averaging on the long side, evident of me having to brake earlier than on any other car similar to it. This is thanks in part to economy-sized tires, made more for saving gas than hugging corners. Further testing is needed for accurate distances.

The Prius is a bit sluggish off the line in competitions, so even with the Sunday Cup races that start with the vehicles stopped, the Prius will take a long time to catch up to its competitors. But while it doesn't beat cars like the Volkswagen Lupo to acceleration, it does make up for it in cornering. You will more than likely finish first place by literally cutting corners and using the AI like bumper cars.

Overall Toyota did a good job with the Prius, but even with performance-enhancing modifications to help acceleration (maximum horsepower= about 130) it struggles in even the easiest races. It is best recommended for those "economy runs", trying to see how little gas you can use while doing a lap around each track that GT4 has. It's not beneficial to you or your statistics, but it is neat to see how little gas you can use despite having a gas tank that only goes up to 9.999 gallons on the gauge and never runs out.

Like I said, it's fun, but in a different way.

B-

Highs:
*Fun to save gas
*CVT transmission gives shiftless performance
*Corners nicely on larger corners that don't ask too much of the car.

Lows:
*Almost embarassing understeer with stock suspension and no ASM
*Almost embarassing acceleration in races.
*Stopping power with sports tires is not exactly great.

Best for: Personal fun when not competing.
 
reviews of cars in gt4 is a great idea and I'll take them ny way they come...
thnx mr noose and others who posted constructively :)
 
Epinionator89
*snip*

Highs:
*Fun to save gas
*CVT transmission gives shiftless performance
*Corners nicely on larger corners that don't ask too much of the car.

Lows:
*Almost embarassing understeer with stock suspension and no ASM
*Almost embarassing acceleration in races.
*Stopping power with sports tires is not exactly great.

Best for: Personal fun when not competing.
Now, THAT is a review.

*writes you a contract*
 
G.T
Now, THAT is a review.

Thanks :D; maybe I should make a webpage and just have reviews on cars from GT4 just like what I wrote earlier (it's quite easy to do so with my computer). They'd be better-written, though.
 
Epinionator89
Thanks :D; maybe I should make a webpage and just have reviews on cars from GT4 just like what I wrote earlier (it's quite easy to do so with my computer). They'd be better-written, though.
I've been thinking of doing something like that for ages, but I can't be bothered to write something that long for each car. Maybe I can do tips instead or something...
 
Back