Gran Turismo 4 - I Don't Need A PS4 Yet - But Maybe...

• Thread starter PS2 GT4
  • 3 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
United States
I decided today to pull out of my extensive GT4 garage another one of my fav cars, a fully loaded Option Stream Z and give it a "A Spec" warm up lap around the 24 hour Le Mans Circuit De La Sarthe. The replay video below is much better seen in person. Considering that this video was filmed right off my Samsung Plasma TV with an older iPhone, while running GT4 off my older PS2 Silver Slim in 1080i, then loaded it via iPhone to YouTube, it simply reminds me how fantastic this game is to this day. So, below are some tips that I use for getting the most from your graphics television display with the PS2 while running Gran Turismo 4...

I thought I'd pass on these tips for those that are trying to improve their television graphics while playing Gran Turismo 4 on their PS2. Some might already know some of this, but there seems to be a resurgence of interest in the game, so here's a checklist for those who have picked up the game again or just started playing recently...

Remember that only the actual races and replays for the most part will run in 1080i mode as GT4 reverts back to the standard settings when in most other venues. Also, when you turn GT4 off you must re-select 1080i mode every time after you restart. Further info to follow on that below...

1) Setting up your TV (I have a Samsung Plasma)
Assuming your television can handle 1080i graphics, which certainly is very common now. Realizing that all televisions are not the same, here's what I did....

I originally set my menu to game mode, but now I run in full Dynamic settings for 1080i.
I set the cel light to 10 which is max.
I set the contrast and sharpness settings to 100%.
I set the color and brightness settings to 50%.
I set the screen temp settings to cool and display to high.
I set color to the normal default settings.
I set in advanced settings the anti flicker to high.

2) Setting up your PS2 (I have a Silver Slim 79001)

When you start your PS2 with the lid open you'll see the browser. First hit the diamond button on the controller TWICE. You will see that you can adjust the speed and smoothness of your PS2 to fast & smooth versus standard setting. Note, you will have to do this every time that you restart your PS2. Go back to the browser and set your screen settings to 16/9 as well. Then close the lid and start the game.

Also most important to get yourself a good set of HD "component" cables and discard the RGB ones that came with the PS2. Then in the start up system config when you change to 16/9 also deselect the RGB and select "Y Cb". I made a few changes to the above setup and was very pleased with the results as shown in this video. I had cheaper HD component cables hooked up, but thought maybe even thicker more expensive HD component cables might help a bit more in obtaining great graphics for the PS2 with GT4. After I installed the thicker cables, I further set the game mode to off (As I previously mentioned above) and went with Dynamic mode on the TV instead. All else I kept the same.

Further, if you use photo travel and lab in GT4 get yourself a small flash drive for showing. I can confirm that on my particular system the Sony Micro Vault 128mb works fine everytime and affords the ability to copy them over to your computer for use.

3) Setting up your GT4-I use the Logitech Driving Force Pro Steering Wheel And Pedals, not the regular hand controllers, which help immensely in playing the game realistically

Now that you have started GT4 go to your "Home". Then go to "Options". Then go to "Screen" and set it to handle 16/9 and 1080i. As mentioned above you will have to do this every time you restart the game. Then go to "Picture Quality" and set "Brightness and Contrast" to +5 and "Saturation and Color" to 0.

Exit and that's it, and hope I've helped some that are trying the game again or just starting out.

Note: All of my replay videos are "From My Campaign Modes In A-Spec Only With Cars I Own In My Garage". No Arcade Mode Is Ever Used.

Don't Give Up & Good Luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
Impresssive how GT4 still look good after all these years...
We will never see again a GT good like GT4...

Yep... Also I found it interesting that when I was recently looking on Ebay and Amazon for used backup PS2's, GT4 Gamedisks, Steering Wheels, etc, that the prices have been on the rise of late and recent sales seem fairly brisk... I'll probably opt to purchase a new PS4 and Gran Turismo Sport when it's released later this year, but I'm still gonna hold on to and continue to play the good ol' PS2-GT4 combo. 👍

After thinking about having a problem sometime with my equipment, I think I'll buy a second set just in case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back