Gran Turismo 4 Media

• Thread starter ALPHA
  • 393 comments
It shows El Capitan and some JGTC cars, including the Motul 350Z. It sounds good with a whoooshing sound as the cars past the trackside cameras.
To download it I think you need a bit torrent download manager. I have one called bit Tornado. It worked for me.

There is a direct link further down the bottom of the download page for those who don't want to fuddle around with torrents.

slackbladder
It shows El Capitan and some JGTC cars, including the Motul 350Z. It sounds good with a whoooshing sound as the cars past the trackside cameras.

But the engine sounds still seem to remain difficult for polyphony. It's so....sterile.

You can't get a good idea of the engine sounds from videos as even with moderate quality setting, the sound will be altered (fainter, fuzzier, more muffled, sterile even,.as you put it).

The engine sounds in Gt4 will be good, as good in fact as those in prologue. THAT is your benchmark for engine sounds...

Polyphony001
You can't get a good idea of the engine sounds from videos as even with moderate quality setting, the sound will be altered (fainter, fuzzier, more muffled, sterile even,.as you put it).

The engine sounds in Gt4 will be good, as good in fact as those in prologue. THAT is your benchmark for engine sounds...

Hmmm, yes in the replays there is a difference between GT3 en Prologue so there is improvement. But it isn't huge. Still it remains somewhat sterile. As if the real life sound of a passing racecar can't be captured correctly. In car sounds are done much better.

It's just, after three games GT2, GT3 and Prologue it all sounds the same to me. You know what's the real problem? We have too much time to discus these things. :lol: Over analyzing just ruines games.

PjotrStroganov
But the engine sounds still seem to remain difficult for polyphony. It's so....sterile.
On the official Japanese GT4 site they have samples of engines being revved, etc. Hopefully they're not just there for the hell of it but actually reflect the in-game sound. The Falken Skyline sounded good in the video at the Nurburgring. But considering the poor old PS2 only has 32 channels of sound maybe it's too difficult to get really good sound?

PS2 has 48 audio channels. And really, a racing game doesn't need all that many. The channels, or "voices" as they're called, simply indicate how many individual sounds can be playing at one time, generated independantly (a pre-recorded collection of sounds, like a distant battle, is only one, because it's only being played back, not generated in real-time). A car probably only takes five or six, tops. But the number of voices has no affect on the quality of those individual voices. The sounds of the engine is all on PD and how accurately they recorded the sound for playback. I must admit that they do often leave something to be desired.. I recently saw a video of the 'Vette C5R on LeMans (in real-life, don't freak out or nothin'), and the car sounded absolutely nothing like the version that's in GT3. I wouldn't mind the race cars actually sounding like race cars rather than electric chainsaws. The Ford GT40 Road car in GT3. Now that one sounded good, nice and throaty, muscular (as long as you don't put a racing tranny on it). They need more cars that sound like that.

Speaking of which, what's with that whine that the racing tranny's make? Surely a real transmission doesn't make that kind of noise. I've certainly never heard it in any of the hot-lap videos I've watched, all you hear is the engine and ONLY the engine.

It is most likely the straight cut gears. The Mosler MT900 has/had an option for a tranny with straight cut gears. Motor Trend tested it and said they made the transmission very loud.

Polyphony001

have to disagree with you there.

The engine sounds, though a bit crisper than GT3, still sound really dull and disconnected. The wind noise is super cool though.

slackbladder
On the official Japanese GT4 site they have samples of engines being revved, etc. Hopefully they're not just there for the hell of it but actually reflect the in-game sound. The Falken Skyline sounded good in the video at the Nurburgring. But considering the poor old PS2 only has 32 channels of sound maybe it's too difficult to get really good sound?

i hope you are right because i tought the same :|
.. but ok why would they put sounds like this on there site.. if they are not in game.. then even more people know the games sounds suck.. so i "hope" this are real ingames sounds.. :nervous:

well it sounds like its gt4.. the sounds have been overhauled compared to gt3, so we can look forward to tuned cars taking off.. and it would be fun with difference between an original 240 and a tuned 240 with nos.. :D

I just watched the vid of the Renault Alpine at Paris and that car looks soo fun to drive and it even sounds great too!

A polyphony of 48 is plenty for any game, so there's no problem there. As someone said, the inside is done perfectly, so it is possible. And what of this Gt4 demo? I only have prologue but i haven't the nurburgring course on it, like in that video...

Jedi2016
Speaking of which, what's with that whine that the racing tranny's make? Surely a real transmission doesn't make that kind of noise. I've certainly never heard it in any of the hot-lap videos I've watched, all you hear is the engine and ONLY the engine.

It's because they use straight cut gears - helical cut gears (normal ones) don't make noise. Straight cut are much stronger.

Jedi2016

There was a vid getting around awhile ago (real in car vid) of a race car with straight cut gears that when you watch make sure your your volume is down because the gear noise is almost unbearable.

Back