Gran Turismo 4 Retexture Mod v2.2

• Thread starter Hatersbby
  • 200 comments
Turkey
Turkey
Hello everyone,
I am very excited to make my first post because it is something on making your game look better. Since PCSX2 has texture dumping and replacement feature, me and my friend Gtafan comitted to a project. The game textures are upscaled with the aid of AI and some textures have been redone manually with Photoshop and paint.net image editors. The cars and tracks now have way more detail and sharpness. Quite few cars have showroom quality wheels, brake discs, calipers and tyres. A few cars have accurate numberplates, driver names(some are redone as AI couldn't make a good job) and so on. The content is now finished. Upcoming releases will focus on fixing stuff.

The mod works in all GT4 variants and TT tracks just follow the installation proccess.
The mod does not affect performance unless you're close on VRAM limit. It can increase VRAM usage a bit.

IF YOU'RE A CONTENT CREATOR/AUTHOR AND USE 2.0+ PLEASE CREDIT MRCassidyART too for his contrubitions.

PLEASE FOLLOW THIS POST TO SEE UPDATES

Requirements:
A PCSX2 1.7 build that supports texture replacements (the later the better)
Around 4GB of VRAM for 4x resolution (PCSX2 has very big VRAM leak and since this folder is very big it will cause severe slowdowns)
Lots of disk space. If you're having hard time with it, make the folder in another drive via PCSX2's folder settings. For example my emulator is in C but folder in D.

NOTE READ CAREFULLY: We are getting questions on crashing. Please turn off 'Mipmapping' and don't use Trilinear/Ultra options in Graphics Settings. If you use Vulkan make sure to dump VRAM before your first race by pressing F9 twice (preferably durin loading). These are not caused from our end.
THE UI IS NOT UPSCALED BECAUSE THEY DUPLICATE MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO TAKE EFFECT PERMANENTLY VIDEO OF UI SITUATION

Gran Turismo 4 Retexture Mod version 2.2 CHANGELOG
Changes and fixes:
  • Fixed big alpha issues on some cars like Citroen 2cv, 787b and Minolta
  • Ferrari F2004 included in a folder (it will replace some parts on other colors too but red one will be F2004 in relatively close distance -LOD stuff)
  • Warsteiner CLK-GTR in a folder

Upcoming:
  • Sky fixes on all tracks
  • Fixes on more cars if found

The 2.2 doesnt have a password but don't extract it to the pack's directory immediately because some textures are in folders and if you extract those folders they won't take effect. Anyway, ill remove the anachronism on Tokyo R246 some time and make an optional update later. I also ignored this too much because modding the game internally is more fun.

Current progress can be tracked in: Google Document on Progress

Videos of the mod: Main showcase and tutorial
Tutorial if it is still confusing
A lap around Trial Mountain

I put the links back again as there is a demand while we are preparing the next update.
Pack
Last Update
Password: DZB3rDmmvDu8DXoRk2gK
I'm thinking it will be in a couple of weeks from 4/12/23

A small pack of licence plates on cars that had broken text

[/SPOILER]

We also provide a link for you to report issues: Issue Reporting Link

We hope that you enjoy our project!

Attachments

• gs_20220519170350_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    gs_20220519170350_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    439.3 KB · Views: 98
  • gs_20220707160446_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    gs_20220707160446_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    432.5 KB · Views: 86
  • gs_20220705222011_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    gs_20220705222011_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    383.8 KB · Views: 65
  • gs_20220705145452_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    gs_20220705145452_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 75
  • gs_20220706120335_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    gs_20220706120335_Gran Turismo 4 _Online Public Beta_ _NTSC-U__SCUS-97436.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Ekran Görüntüsü (44).png
    Ekran Görüntüsü (44).png
    493 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Have been wondering about AI upscaling for old GT games for a while now, as so many other older games are getting the treatment, great to see what you have done here.

👍

I wonder if this means you can re-add the ESSO logos on the TS020 GT-One for those playing on the NTSC-U release? What about uncensoring the logos and such.

But seriously, that's amazing. Must been really hard and time consuming to do?

Last edited:
I wonder if this means you can re-add the ESSO logos on the TS020 GT-One for those playing on the NTSC-U release? What about uncensoring the logos and such.

But seriously, that's amazing. Must been really hard and time consuming to do?
Manual fixes are quite time consuming. It is possible to add Esso variants to US versions by 2 ways.
1- Make a custom iso and bind a model to the car
2- Dump textures from PAL and replace by changing their hash in NTSC-U. 1st way will let you use both at the same time

How do I install this?
Please watch the main showcase video. If it does not help enough, make a textures folder in PCSX2's folder settings and make a dump for a second then stop dumping. It will create dumps and replacements folders there under game's serial. Place the textures in replacements folder and enable 'load textures'.

Very good job @Hatersbby !!!
What version of PCSX2 1.7 recommends? the lasts nightly builds crash on my computer when I try to run on Capitan, but the 1.6 works very fine (without textures).

You can’t mention pc use. Emulation is forbidden. Did you see the sticky? You should avoid discussing this
This thread passed the approval before you could see this. If the admins did not find anything wrong then this is in limits.

Hey! Love the work y'all have done. Since discovering this project a week ago I've been messing around with the GT4 textures in Esrgan, and photoshop. I made some HD textures for the Corvettes, and the RUfs. Is there a place I can send them to be reviewed, and possibly included? I also put the textures in their own folder within the replacements folder. Since the texture loading is recursive in PCSX2, putting the textures in their own folders makes it easier to identify what the textures are for. I can also convert them too DDS for convenience if you like. Just lemme know. :P
1654926360824.png
1654926467385.png
1654926519415.png
1654926643416.png
1654926754894.png
1654926816215.png

Hey! Love the work y'all have done. Since discovering this project a week ago I've been messing around with the GT4 textures in Esrgan, and photoshop. I made some HD textures for the Corvettes, and the RUfs. Is there a place I can send them to be reviewed, and possibly included? I also put the textures in their own folder within the replacements folder. Since the texture loading is recursive in PCSX2, putting the textures in their own folders makes it easier to identify what the textures are for. I can also convert them too DDS for convenience if you like. Just lemme know. :PView attachment 1159823View attachment 1159824View attachment 1159825View attachment 1159826View attachment 1159827View attachment 1159828
Please send me a dm

Gurur duydum ! Ellerine sağlık. Keşke emulatörü kaldıracak pc sahibi olsam hala ps2 de 480p oynamaya çalıyorum. Bir umut yeni ps plus sistemine gelir belki diye umuyorum ama imkansız. GT7 öylece duruyor konsolda içerik olmadan çıkardılar sağolsunlar ve saçma sapan kariyer sistemi ile.

I'm proud! I wish I had a pc for the emulator, I'm still trying to play 480p on ps2. I hope it will come to the new ps plus system, but it is impossible. GT7 just sits on the console without content and thanks to the ridiculous career system.

Hello everyone,
I am very excited to make my first post because it is something on making your game look better. Since PCSX2 has texture dumping and replacement feature, me and my friend Gtafan comitted to a project. The game textures are upscaled with the aid of AI and some textures have been redone manually with Photoshop and paint.net image editors. The cars and tracks now have way more detail and sharpness. Quite few cars have showroom quality wheels, brake discs, calipers and tyres. A few cars have accurate numberplates, driver names(some are redone as AI couldn't make a good job) and so on. New York track is mostly redone and there is a plan on modernizing Tokyo R246 as well. This is the first pack so expect updates and fixes.

The mod works in all GT4 variants and TT tracks just follow the installation proccess.
The mod does not affect performance unless you're close on VRAM limit. It can increase VRAM usage a bit.

PLEASE FOLLOW THIS POST TO SEE UPDATES
Requirements:
A PCSX2 1.7 build that supports texture replacements (the later the better)
Around 4GB of VRAM for 5x resolution
Lots of disk space. If you're having hard time with it, make the folder in another drive via PCSX2's folder settings. For example my emulator is in C but folder in D.

NOTE READ CAREFULLY: We are getting questions on crashing. Please turn off 'Mipmapping' and don't use Trilinear/Ultra options in Graphics Settings. If you use Vulkan make sure to dump VRAM before your first race by pressing F9 twice. These are not caused from our end.

Gran Turismo 4 Retextured By Hatersbby and Gtafan version 1.2 CHANGELOG
Changes and fixes:
  • Fully retextured the following dealerships: Toyota, Suzuki, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Tommy Kaira, Triumph, TVR, Volkswagen, Volvo, RUF, Chevrolet, DMC, Eagle
  • Retextured ALL the region exclusive cars (Hyundai, Mini, Esso Supra, Lexus IS 200 GT1, Vauxhall)
  • Fixed BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01 wing
  • Replaced some completely broken textures
  • Removed more trash from files
  • Replaced some broken low resolution Gran Turismo Logos and Textures

Upcoming:
  • We're still investigating the issue with skies, so far we've managed to improve the quality a lot. We will release the fix once all the cars are fully done.
  • Citta di aira textures replacement to .dds format will be done also after the cars.

Gran Turismo 4 Retextured By Hatersbby and Gtafan version 1.1 CHANGELOG

Due to major fixes and optimization we strongly recommend you to redownload and install the full pack.

Changes and fixes:
  • Retextured / fixed over 180 cars
  • Lancer evo 4's blurry license plate got fixed
  • Fixed broken Sunflare on Trial mountain and Mazda laguna and Tokyo R246:
If you want to fix the issue without redownloading the entire pack delete the following files from "replacements" folder on your drive
e330092e1e0fbca3-f2f04ab9399b9720-00005dd4.dds
e836bf856e265f17-129699df195244d5-00005dd4.dds
eb712f8333aed12f-b8b477274f3c46d6-00005dd3.dds
eb712f8333aed12f-50889d96f8d5a4ba-00005dd3.dds

• Fixed Broken open sky vehicles controllers
  • Fixed Some alpha issue on Amemiya Rx7 Gt300
  • Fixed fonts and HUD elements
  • Removed over 14000 trash files. The pack should work better, consume less vram and install/ extract way faster.

Upcoming:

• Since we are done with all the racing cars we can focus on road cars which are way easier to retexture.
  • Citta di aira textures are saved in wrong format. Possible change coming in 1.2. It will reduce the size of track and improve quality
  • Retexture for exclusive cars from Korea, Japan and China
  • Audi Team Oreca Texture to Audi R8 Race Car '01 might appear in the future.

List of cars added: Click to see the added cars

Current progress can be tracked in: Google Document on Progress

Videos of the mod: Main showcase and tutorial
Tutorial if it is still confusing
A lap around Trial Mountain

DOWNLOAD LINKS (ALL ARE v1.1 IF YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD FULL PACK DELETE THE EXISTING ONE FIRST)

We also provide a link for you to report issues: Issue Reporting Link

We hope that you enjoy our project!
Wow, this is amazing. This is like the remastered GT4 I always dreamed of. I was on the fence for trying emulation but this may have swayed me... I'll have to look into it.
Hey! Love the work y'all have done. Since discovering this project a week ago I've been messing around with the GT4 textures in Esrgan, and photoshop. I made some HD textures for the Corvettes, and the RUfs. Is there a place I can send them to be reviewed, and possibly included? I also put the textures in their own folder within the replacements folder. Since the texture loading is recursive in PCSX2, putting the textures in their own folders makes it easier to identify what the textures are for. I can also convert them too DDS for convenience if you like. Just lemme know. :PView attachment 1159823View attachment 1159824View attachment 1159825View attachment 1159826View attachment 1159827View attachment 1159828
These are beautiful, great work.

Any chance for advertisements to be in same time period as GT4? Feels weird having 2022 cars advertised in a 2005 game.

No. I wanted to modernize it completely this time. I could understand these comments under NY because it had some older stuff on it but I'm not going to change it too. IRL they don't put classic ads on historic races so I think we can consider this as a classics race in Tokyo or NY or whatever.

Any chance for advertisements to be in same time period as GT4? Feels weird having 2022 cars advertised in a 2005 game.

I have to say I agree with this - if you look at the actual cars and tracks themselves, GT4 is still very much taking place in the time period of 2003-2005.

Take New York for example, the Time Warner Center (completed in February 2004) is about 10 stories tall and far from completion (from research based on the building's progress, GT4's NY was captured in mid-2002 or so):
1657204463316.png

For me there would be a weird disconnect to see modern brands, potentially ones that didn't even exist before these towers, advertised near them. Similar case with the Seattle track where GT depicts it as having a viaduct that was torn down quite a while ago.

I have to say I agree with this - if you look at the actual cars and tracks themselves, GT4 is still very much taking place in the time period of 2003-2005.

Take New York for example, the Time Warner Center (completed in February 2004) is about 10 stories tall and far from completion (from research based on the building's progress, GT4's NY was captured in mid-2002 or so):
View attachment 1170112

For me there would be a weird disconnect to see modern brands, potentially ones that didn't even exist before these towers, advertised near them. Similar case with the Seattle track where GT depicts it as having a viaduct that was torn down quite a while ago.
in GT4 the NY textures are too blurred compared to GT4P and beta builds. Time Warner Center has its text where I put it in this. Okay I admit I put the logo first came to me from a Google Search so it's newer and I wanted to use the remaining low quality textures to give credits and make it look like there is a conference. I saw far too many comments on the time accuracy, some were pointing why is Lana Del Rey here but when we were making this track (I was streaming to Gtafan) we wanted to put some things from ourselves and the people who we tested it with before release. Yes it looks weird to see Suicide Squad and Burnout Revenge panels close but it will mean we remove bits of ours. There will be the last big update soon and after that smaller bugfixes will be released. I'm going to evaluate this with Gtafan then..

Back