Cost of system: £600

Playstation 3:
CPU: Cell @ 3.2ghz
Main Memory: 256MB
Video Memory: 256MB

Display: 1080P
Sound: DOLBY 5.1
Cost of system: £300

Capturing done using a hd camera you can purchase from Argos for around £100.

It seems when converting to youtube. Quality is decreased. I have original files if anyone would like them. Double click to open youtube page then you can press the HD button. This might help quality.

SCROLL DOWN FOR MOVIES. GT ACE HAS POSTED THEM FOR ME.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYoQlxlkskA gran turismo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXqkHjXuZpg rfactor

1)Playstation 3 is cheaper. A top end PC is likely to cost you more and can have more problems. Consoles seem to be more reliable.
2)Gran Turismo can produce photo realistic graphics but lacks in anti aliasing and resolution. I.e. flickering and blurry. If you look closely at the PC video you will see the graphics of the advertisement banners are sharp. This is because PC technology is superior to that of consoles.
3)Car modelling in Gran Turismo beats Rfactor car modelling.
4)Replays in Gran Turismo beats Rfactor replays.
5)Rfactor track detail and graphics when running the in car mode is superior to that of Gran Turismo. This is again because of the power of the PC which I am running the game on. It seems PC is strong in resolution and anti-aliasing. There is no flickering.

To conclude both games have their ups and downs and this thread is just to compare the visuals.

Last edited:
the videos dont work. i agree with you on the points you made however, pc games in general are like that. not just racing games but fps games aswell. i can play crysis on my computer at high settings at 1440x900, and it beats killzone 2 for sure. killzone however is more fun to play.

I am trying to get the videos to work. I might just have to put youtube links. I have done two videos. One for playstation 3 and one for pc. Both F430 and both on Suzuka Circuit.

Quote me, this is how you make the videos work. ;)
Btw. i dont know what you mean with the 5.1 sound, because fyi, the PS3 can 7.1.

EDIT: I also dont get what you mean with track graphics, because GT5P looks superior.
Moving 3D grass, high resolution textures, high poly trackside objects etc. it beats rFactor graphically in everything except anti aliasing and some of the interior textures.

Last edited:
My videos were working fine until I just decided to post them to GTplanet.
Now when I go to youtube.com my videos are not working. They just appear to be loading indefinitley.

GT ACE: Can you please kindly put both videos on the first post. Edit.

Nope i cant, im not a mod, sorry.^^

You linked them wrong though, you need to put the stuff behind the = between the tags.
The whole link wont work here.

Anti Aliasing is a big issue:

There is too much flickering in Gran Turismo 5 prologue. In general with all console games.

I will post some screen shots of both later. You will see the big difference.

i.e No jaggy lines on high end spec pc's :)

But then of course you are paying twice as much.

I think in future you will be able to hook 2 Playstations up togther and get more power.

I agree with the aliasing, but the track graphics are much better in GT5P.
Just look how blurry/washed out and undetailed the textures are in rFactor, not to mention the extremely edgy corners (especially noticable in the last chicane).

The HDR and other light effects are better in GT5P too.

If you play Gran Turismo in the distance you see all flickering and the cars look blobby. The best way is to open the youtube clips from www.youtube.com and you can them play them full screen.
( the last 30 seconds when you drive into the pits)

The compare that part to the first 30 seconds of the Rfactor where again the car is driving in the pit lane.

Gran Turismo 5 has better lighting effects and car models but when your playing in the in cockpit view I'm sorry the power of pc beats it.

I have done thorough study and had Fuzzy1990 (a member of gtplanet) round my place to see the results.

He was mind boggled by it. The in car view of rFactor played on a HIGH end pc. I'm talking about a +£500 pc, is an amazing experiance.

I was a Gran Turismo fan all the way and still am. But I managed to get a high spec PC and the results were astonishing.

I am also getting force results from the rfactor game and have bought a couple of actuators.

I am making a simulator with MOTION. This is the biggest advantage I am getting with the PC.

I know that PD got numerous playstation 3's and hooked them up together. That is because they wanted to improve anti aliasing.

Last edited:
Nice analysis. But I noticed some performance differences between the F430 in rfactor and the F430 in GT5P. The one in rfactor accelerates faster than the one in GT. On the back straight before the fast left, the rfactor f430 reaches 6th gear while the gt5p f430 only reaches 5th.

Yes. The rev ratio's have been messed when "Tuning" in garage.

I think when the developer of Gran Turismo did that German interview, he knew that the power of PC can open new grounds for him.

But like I said in the first post. It's even stevens because each game has its up and downs. :) This is a thread to celebrate both games.

5)Rfactor track detail and graphics when running the in car mode is superior to that of Gran Turismo. This is again because of the power of the PC which I am running the game on. It seems PC is strong in resolution and anti-aliasing. There is no flickering.
I think you are confusing "superior graphics" with better detail or clean look thanks to the more resolution and antialiasing of PC cards.

GT5P graphics are superior on track modeling, textures, shaders, illumination, shadows and car interiors detail, you can see clearly all the polygon edges on the rFactor vid both car and track.

Also rFactor dashboard indicators has more resolution, it's the only I see better.

On Gran Turismo it seems its not 1080p. Everything flickers and I am using a top end Sony 40inch HDTV. The textures can be great but if it is all flickery in the distance then it is not good is it.

If you look at the PC vid you can see further in the distance.
For instance at the end when you look right you can even see the other first bend of Suzuka from the other side.

In Gran Turismo it is just blurry and flickery in the distance.

But your right. It is the PC CARD that has greater power.

Look at the RAM. Playstaion 3 does not have much RAM. I am only using 500mb on the Nvidea. Some people use 1GB of ram so you can imagine what thier performance would be like.

One thing is for sure: There are alot of views on these two vids I made today. :) lol
I always knew it could be controversial putting this in a Gran Turismo Thread :P

I might put one in the racing sim central. muahwhahaha.

But youre focusing too much on the aliasing.
The track looks better in GT5P, in every aspect.

I will make some screenshots from your videos, when im in the mood (later or tomorrow) to show you in detail what im talking about.

Look at the last 30 seconds of the Playstation 3 version. Look at the Barriers in the pit lane and also look at the pit walls.

But Gran Turismo produces photo like imagery but needs to sort out the jaggy lines.

Then it will be the perfect beast. This is a demo. The real game they will surely sort it out.

I'm thinking of getting more playstation 3's and try to do what PD did. Improve performance. Then the in game action will be like it is when watching replays on Gran Turismo. Even if it does not work out , Gran Turismo 5 will the best driving game still.

Attachments

• gt51.JPG
    gt51.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 107
  • rfactor1.JPG
    rfactor1.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
rFactor hands down wins!!!

GT5P certainly looks better but rFactor has better physics, more user friendly options, excellent online gameplay (at least for me), and certainly the most varied and best mods available!

Congratulations to rFactor!
:)

The problem I have with rFactor is that because most of the content is user generated the quality varies, some tracks and cars are beautifully modelled and textured, and then some aren't, so you're constantly changing your settings to keep the performance/quality/playability trade off good. With GT all the cars and tracks are up to the same quality standard which is matched to the hardware to give you a consistent level of quality/performance. It's the same for every PC v Console debate maximum performance against average performance and accesability.

GT5 has 3-d grass
rFactor does not.

Two pictures also took when coming out of pit lane and approx same position.

rFactor you can see further into the distance.
GT5 prologue. Graphics further into distance get slightly distorted.

Tracks on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue are supposed to be very identical in terms of layout to the REAL version. I think it was something ridicolous like just a vartion of a few cm. This shows you how much work PD have put in and is something other game developers need to do.

Attachments

• gt5prograss.jpg
    gt5prograss.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 69
  • rfactorgrass.jpg
    rfactorgrass.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 58
  • gt5outofpits.jpg
    gt5outofpits.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 60
  • factoroutofpits.jpg
    factoroutofpits.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 61
EDIT: I also dont get what you mean with track graphics, because GT5P looks superior.
Moving 3D grass, high resolution textures, high poly trackside objects etc. it beats rFactor graphically in everything except anti aliasing and some of the interior textures.

i was saying generally (probably not now but at least a few years ago). there may be exceptions like this one.

and ^^^^, that proves what i just said.

When you post videos, do you just press the Youtube button and insert the link?

This is what I did in the first page and they did not work. GT ACE did em for me.

Is there more to just pressing youtube button on these post rely messages.

Last edited:
But youre focusing too much on the aliasing.
The track looks better in GT5P, in every aspect.

I will make some screenshots from your videos, when im in the mood (later or tomorrow) to show you in detail what im talking about.

Aliasing is pretty important. Every screen shot I've seen of GT5P has heaps of aliasing on everything (I still dont own a PS3 myself though). In PC sims there is a pretty big difference between no AA and 4x AA that I run in most sims, everything is so much smoother and cleaner. Jaggies are ugly and distracting.

Need to take some high res screenshots of the environments to compare them rather than caps from a movie taken with a camera. In most screenshots I've seen of GT5P I've been disappointed with the environments.

That said, rFactor is a "modding" game, so the quality of any given car or track is massively dependant on the person who made it.

When you post videos, do you just press the Youtube button and insert the link?

This is what I did in the first page and they did not work. GT ACE did em for me.

Is there more to just pressing youtube button on these post rely messages.
You only enter the code (the part which I've highlighted) at the end of the YouTube URL into the YouTube tags. 👍

picture1ymm.png

Last edited:
Back