Gran Turismo 6: A very disappointing game

• Thread starter Its No Use
  • 90 comments
That is not relevant now is it?
when the AIs don't try and ram you off is not the problem
It is when they DO try and repeatedly ram you off off, or follow you and smash into you over and over that is the problem
Now if you weren't only running this event with easy to win cars you would see what l am talking about

I get this some times too, but really, I'm pretty sure it's just AI being AI. They have programmed paths they take, so when you cross over, it's inevitable things will get messy. Same with AI torpedoing into your rear-end. You're infront of them, so they end up drafting. The AI isn't programmed to recognize this, so they brake late and slam into you. The AI could be better, but I wouldn't say it ruins the game. Just my opinion

That is not relevant now is it?
when the AIs don't try and ram you off is not the problem
It is when they DO try and repeatedly ram you off off, or follow you and smash into you over and over that is the problem
Now if you weren't only running this event with easy to win cars you would see what l am talking about
They don't repeatedly ram you off the track or follow you and smash into you over and over and that is nonsense, only a couple of times in the whole race the AI do tap you but a lot of times I can drive the whole race without being hit, and it is nothing like what you are talking about which is strange and that is also apart of racing if they do hit you.

They do repeatedly ram you off the track, or follow you and smash into over and over yeah right, you provide a video of the AI doing as you describe like being hit and smash into you over and over then I will believe you. A good driver never has a problem with what you are talking about.

Last edited:
It is a programing issue not a driving issue
If you actually ran this event you would know this
It is easy to avoid the problem, but that does NOT mean there is no problem
Just watching the AIs run off course nearly every lap and it is clear to everyone but you
But hey "ignorance is bliss"

It is a programing issue not a driving issue
If you actually ran this event you would know this
It is easy to avoid the problem, but that does NOT mean there is no problem
Just watching the AIs run off course nearly every lap and it is clear to everyone but you
But hey "ignorance is bliss"
I know the AI sometimes run off the track but that is not new, you are talking about the AI repeatedly ram you off the track, or follow you or smash into you over and over and you know that does not exist and please get over it and become a good driver.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, do you?
Are you trying to imitate one of the AI's?
You have no idea what you are talking about when you say rubbish like this, it is when they do try and repeatedly ram you off off, or follow you and smash into you over and over, that dose not exist you know that so please don't mention things in your post when it really does not happen.

Last edited:
The AI follow the racing line, they have followed the racing line in every GT game I have played, which is every main title. If you are on the racing line on a long straight the lead AI will blindly draft right into you. It's really easy to exploit this fact to make them overshoot a braking zone.

They don't chase you to spin you off the track, and they don't repeatedly ram you off the track either, or follow you or smash into you over and over, I can win in a Honda HSC '03 at 475PP ok they can catch me on the straights but being smash over and over come on, you can avoid being hit because you are in a slower car you just have to become a smart driver :).

Why don't you admit you're wrong saying things like this, it is when they do try and repeatedly ram you off off, or follow you and smash into you over and over, which does not exist in this game so why say it ?.

Last edited:
this is due to the rubberband AI. some of us aren't fast enough to keep the AI away behind and then, they ram your car. even with low PP cars. some of us are more habile than other. that's why some people are being rammed by AI and some not. personnally, on this event, I was rammed sometimes when I overtake. when in first place, the AI was sometimes missing their braking points wich causes them to get out of the track(especially at the first corner. I still see that white Huayra flying right next to me just before I begin to turn and that Ferrari following me all the rest of the race)

That is because the graphics are at the edge of what the PS3 can't handle.
Not really, honestly. The game was just poorly optimized. There are games out there that arguably have better graphics, like GRID or Shift 2.

This is going to be a bit lengthy post since I got Gran Turismo 6 on day one when it came out with the 15th Anniversary package.

Now, if you got the game on release it was almost like playing a detuned GT5 until they added content to it, like how Spec 2.0 did, which improved physics and possible loading times that people had issues with. Somehow, I feel like GT is missing something, it's been off since I have been playing since 2003 or 2004 that it's not that much fun, I miss how you started with 18,000 Credits and could choose any starter you wish, you have a few options like: You can earn Gold on the licenses to earn bonus cars or just buy the 3 or 4 starter cars they give you. You do like any GT game would have, it was fun. Tire Wear is the most amazing thing about GT3 is that no matter how fast you drive in a unpowered car in the Amateur and Professional Series, you could run into some problems, including the infamous Vitz Race in the Pro Series. I do agree with part of what you said @Its No Use though, on the occurrence how would feel if GT6 were in 1.0 or in the beta test stages? I know, every GT has there own secrets laid out in a pattern as documented on this site by @Xenn, @Castrol96, @Carl the Sloth and many others around here know GT could have been a better franchise.

Hence, why the betas of the Gran Turismo series has been popular since the current decade we are in, we wanted most of these features at start, but since Sony cuts Polyphony short time delays it's nearly impossible for them to maximize the output the PS3 has on RAM, GPU, and CPU to not overuse those hardware components leading to overheating issues. The reasoning I think they cut some cars from the Vision GT thing that they did was because they could not keep up from demands from other players, and such they began work on the newer installment of Gran Turismo: Sport. From when you first see the game it feels like identical port of GT in terms of sound, but remember that was early in development, and I did not expect it to look decent in the slightest at all, much of like how GT6 was developed at start since they began working on it since 2011. So, who knows what Polyphony will do next, they lack some sort of social media, but all we have is the news on GTP as there home base to putting screenshots and other news on the first page you see.

Those are my reasonings, but remember almost if not always Betas and Demos seem to be Polyphony's strong side of the marketing aspect since a lot of people dig GT's rarebits.

The point is, there are games out there with better graphics and handle the PS3's hardware more softly than Gran Turismo 6.

"Better" is not relevant when you talk about graphics performance. You need to think about how expensive the graphics are in terms of computing power.

For instance, rendering in 1080p is more expensive than rendering in 720p, because more pixels needs to be calculated and that takes more time.

Rendering in 60fps is more expensive than rendering in 30fps, because you need to complete the calculations twice as fast.

Calculating sharper shadows is more expensive because there are more iterations involved when calculating the light paths.

Anti-aliasing requires more calculations per pixel and motion blur requires the scene to be rendered twice or more.

So whether or not you'll experience framedrops doesn't depend on how good you think that the graphics look (or how many cars that are in the game), it depends on how expensive the scene is to render: How many calculations can you fit before it's time for the next frame. The closer you get to this limit, the higher the chance of framedrops when the scene gets busy.

"Better" is not relevant when you talk about graphics performance. You need to think about how expensive the graphics are in terms of computing power.

For instance, rendering in 1080p is more expensive than rendering in 720p, because more pixels needs to be calculated and that takes more time.

Rendering in 60fps is more expensive than rendering in 30fps, because you need to complete the calculations twice as fast.

Calculating sharper shadows is more expensive because there are more iterations involved when calculating the light paths.

Anti-aliasing requires more calculations per pixel and motion blur requires the scene to be rendered twice or more.

So whether or not you'll experience framedrops doesn't depend on how good you think that the graphics look (or how many cars that are in the game), it depends on how expensive the scene is to render: How many calculations can you fit before it's time for the next frame. The closer you get to this limit, the higher the chance of framedrops when the scene gets busy.

Many Playstation 3 games render 1080p, especially ones that were made on/after 2010. There is actually a game out there called Sonic Generations, which also renders 1080i and 1080p.

That's actually true, but Gran Turismo 6 isn't the only PS3 game that runs on 60 fps. Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls II, and Battlefield Hardline also run at 60 fps.

Again, there are all sorts of Playstation 3 games that have those really sharp shadows-- even Sonic '06 had them. Still, even so, they made it in Gran Turismo 6 so the shadows get sharper the closer you get to them, so it tries to go easier on the hardware. You really can't use that as an argument.

Once again, there are other PS3 games that also use anti-aliasing. Just saying. And motion blur? In GT6, motion blur is not even used as you're playing-- only in Replay and Photo mode, which is capped at a maximum of 30 fps.

Last edited:
Sonic Generations possibly doesn't even render at full 720p on console. It uses the same engine as Unleashed (albeit with a capped framerate) which ran at 880x720 on both systems.

Sonic Generations possibly doesn't even render at full 720p on console. It uses the same engine as Unleashed (albeit with a capped framerate) which ran at 880x720 on both systems.
69bf9ac46d8547b8abeb3e980d28df0d.jpg

?

That's just HD Video Output, it does not say "render" in there, unless the package and the game details tells that. But, you got to remember the PS3 has pretty old hardware compared to the PS4, but some PS3 games like Twisted Metal have pretty good graphics that is using the DirectX9 or 8 interface.

Yes, the PS3 outputs a 1080p signal to your television. No, the game is not rendered at 1080p. It upscales it instead of relying on the television to do so.

That's just HD Video Output, it does not say "render" in there, unless the package and the game details tells that. But, you got to remember the PS3 has pretty old hardware compared to the PS4, but some PS3 games like Twisted Metal have pretty good graphics that is using the DirectX9 or 8 interface.
Except I actually play the game myself and Sonic Generations does look very crispy for a "720p" video game. Are you suggesting the game actually rendered at 720p, but was upscaled to 1080p to make it look like it was true HD? If so, Sonic Team are assholes.

Except I actually play the game myself and Sonic Generations does look very crispy for a "720p" video game. Are you suggesting the game actually rendered at 720p, but was upscaled to 1080p to make it look like it was true HD? If so, Sonic Team are assholes.
It depends if the textures are crisp enough to be good for a next generation title, currently textures are getting a lot more complex, including affects, which take a tole on RAM memory being used throughout the system. It uses that cache for the data for the textures, thus. Making it seem like it's using the PS3 towards it full potential, but not in the total sense of the graphics area since I believe no game will be able to render as good as any PC or next generation console that the PS3 competed with.

Yes, some developers like to upscale games to where they won't have two versions of the same game, which is why GT defaults to 1080p output on every T.V.

There are probably less than a dozen PS3 games that actually render at 1080p or some facsimile thereof. Gran Turismo games are 4 of them. Wipeout HD and Ridge Racer 7 are two more. I doubt any multiplatform games do regardless of what the boxes say.

Many Playstation 3 games render 1080p, especially ones that were made on/after 2010. There is actually a game out there called Sonic Generations, which also renders 1080i and 1080p.

That's actually true, but Gran Turismo 6 isn't the only PS3 game that runs on 60 fps. Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls II, and Battlefield Hardline also run at 60 fps.

Again, there are all sorts of Playstation 3 games that have those really sharp shadows-- even Sonic '06 had them. Still, even so, they made it in Gran Turismo 6 so the shadows get sharper the closer you get to them, so it tries to go easier on the hardware. You really can't use that as an argument.

Once again, there are other PS3 games that also use anti-aliasing. Just saying. And motion blur? In GT6, motion blur is not even used as you're playing-- only in Replay and Photo mode, which is capped at a maximum of 30 fps.

The point is that frame rate issues occur when the graphics calculations take longer time to complete than 1/fps seconds.

When these calculations runs at close to 1/fps seconds, then you are at the edge of what the PS3 can handle.

I never said that anti aliasing and motion blur is used in GT6, I gave them as examples of effects that have a big impact on rendering time.

Just wanted to point out that Metal Gear Solid V was locked at 30 fps on PS3, and most of the time it seemed to hover around 20-25 fps, at least from what I saw from Digital Foundry. Dark Souls II didn't seem to ever hit 60 either, it was running around 25-35 fps, never saw it go above 35 fps in Digital Foundry's test.

Back