Gran Turismo 6 E3 2013, General discussion(Live streaming links).

Really good interview Jordan! So much good information đź‘Ť if the rebuilding of the AI and sound simulation causes a delay for the game, it would be definitely worth it.

Seasonal changes is something I would like to see included as well one day - though I wouldn't expect it possible for PS3, but maybe PS4 - I wouldn't want it linked to real world weather though but rather as an optional user defined feature.

On that subject, Sugo in the spring would be something to see.
17.png

But
I digress.

That sounds great in theory, but also like a great deal of work. Seasonal changes would be mostly cosmetic (flora) and really wouldn't add a great deal to the game, probably better to spend the manpower on other parts of the game (more tracks more than anything).

Seasonal changes is something I would like to see included as well one day - though I wouldn't expect it possible for PS3, but maybe PS4 - I wouldn't want it linked to real world weather though but rather as an optional user defined feature.

I am sure PS4 could do seasons + calendar system, having temperature, humidity, wind speed that reflects actual season will make the game more realistic IMO. Imagine able to set Suzuka at winter, with snows dropping or not, very cold road surface or hot summer with dry windy air + high ambient + road temp. PD could make simple season by changing these variables - ambient + road surface temp, wind speed/direction, air pressure, humidity.

Having a custom settings accessible by user would be epic for online races or championship calendar.

The problem lies in the fact that all the other tracks were created with a specific time of day in mind. I suspect that means certain objects, textures etc have specific lighting attributes (such as always in the shade). It may be that those tracks would need to be remodeled to be 'neutral' before a time change lighting could be applied.
The method of time change might be different too, an auto global lighting method vs manual specific time method with manual refinement.

Other games might have a preprogrammed routines that translate time changes automatically on all track via global lighting changes, PD might use hourly lighting reference with a set of textures/lighting changes preset made, then PD puts finer details within minutes range and making sure the tracks looks realistic in transition for the whole 24 hours, not just simple time changes routine for all tracks.
I mentioned this before but was poo-pooed by certain people as "making things up." I spoke with a friend a couple of weeks ago who couldn't believe that people had no clue that some lighting and shading effects were hand painted into the scenery to help out the lighting engine. You can see it in some of the Standard tracks like Special Stage Route 5. These would have to be retextured as Nato_777 says to be time neutral.

Seasons would be something I'd love to see too, but most likely would have to wait for PS4 to accomplish.

One thing about Jordan's interview is that he may well have had a longer, more revealing one, but Kaz had him embargo certain details until GamesCom, or Kaz gives the okay. It sounds like our own Amar has some juicy tidbits he can't share either.

One thing that I wanted from PD is to include real seasonal changes throughout the year that can be set by user or follow real world time changes via online real time update. This means snow, storm, summer, autumn, winter, rain, depend on the track location.

Good idea! Something I had in mind as well :)

I read the interview. Good job Jordan and good choice of questions :)

PGR4 is still so awesome...

:drool:
I'd go to GameStop and camp by the door for GT6 if it had Nurburgring in the snow.

Like I said I appreciate that the initital time/weather development takes a long time and isn't easy by any means, what I'm questioning is why it then seems to take just as long adding it to each track when logic suggests to me it should be universal. If that other team were given enough time to implement time/weather that they clearly needed I'd have also found it odd if it were only on a few tracks.

You'd think that the whole weather/day/night thing was coded in to a "global" game object i.e. something in the game at all times i.e. the sky. I don't see why they can't just copy and paste the code from one track to another, then again, I'm no developer. Maybe they'd have to capture each sky at the different times to get an accurate representation? Who knows how PD does it.

Eks
You'd think that the whole weather/day/night thing was coded in to a "global" game object i.e. something in the game at all times i.e. the sky. I don't see why they can't just copy and paste the code from one track to another, then again, I'm no developer. Maybe they'd have to capture each sky at the different times to get an accurate representation? Who knows how PD does it.

I don't think it works like that. Because each race track location has their own unique environments, I could imagine that when adding day/night and weather effects that they would have to develop it to suit the environment.

If they do add weather or time to a track, I'd like to see it implemented on the original track as well as all other variations (e.g. Reverse layout, short versions, etc).

Great interview

Surprised there was no mention of car customization/Livery editor (maybe in the round table meeting)

Glad they know that Sound and A.I is a priority gutted about the damage though.

Night racing at SIlverstone and Willow though :drool:

If you read that interview it seems theres still a lot unfinished, i hope there is no delay but the sounds arent done yet, the AI isnt done yet and , they are not sure if time change will be on all tracks. I hope this isnt GT5 release delay mk2.

Last edited:
If you read that interviewn it seems theres still a lot unfinished, i hope there is no delay but the sounds arent done yet, the AI isnt done yet and , there not sure if time change will be on all tracks. I hope this isnt GT5 release delay mk2.

I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen.

Based off the interview, I believe they made a conscious decision to focus resources towards the physics, tire, and aero model.

Everyone appears to think the sound is definitely going to be upgraded, but he quite clearly says in the interview the sound upgrades might not make it to GT6 in time, as they still havent made a 'breakthrough'. Remember we are 2.5 years after GT5.

AI is apparently being reworked, but no specific improvements were mentioned. Are they aiming to make them faster, more aggressive, or what? Will there be a driveatar or similar system in place? All that we know is that it will be different then GT5. Better? Hard to tell from the interview.

At this point you just have to wait for new playable builds of the game

My take is they have their new sound generation technique working, just not in the game with everything else, on PS3, properly yet. It'll be built in with the other systems for PS4. Maybe this will be one of the deciding factors for GT6 being additionally released for PS4.

I get that it's difficult to develop in general but I can't fathom out why it's hard to apply to every track. They're all just 3D environments, surely the lighting engine is universal and can just be applied to any track. Sure each track needs individually lighting in terms of the trackside lights/buildings etc but actually making each track have a day/night cycle should be simple and I doubt it would take that long for the artists to light the tracks.

Unless someone can explain why it's not that easy?

I'll believe it when I hear it.

Have you seen the skies in GT5 tracks that have it? The skies change, along with the atmosphere. Not just lighting, which also requires texture changes, instead of baked textures for frozen time/weather tracks.
There does seem to be a virtual sky/weather system in these tracks. Nurburgring sometimes gets foggy too.

Have you seen the skies in GT5 tracks that have it? The skies change, along with the atmosphere. Not just lighting, which also requires texture changes, instead of baked textures for frozen time/weather tracks.
There does seem to be a virtual sky/weather system in these tracks. Nurburgring sometimes gets foggy too.

Can the cloud moving like Forza Horizon?

My take is they have their new sound generation technique working, just not in the game with everything else, on PS3, properly yet. It'll be built in with the other systems for PS4. Maybe this will be one of the deciding factors for GT6 being additionally released for PS4.
As Griffith alludes, PD is working on two potential levels. There is the "improvement" thing, and then there's the "breakthrough" next-generation level thing. And most likely, that breakthrough class will require more processing power and/or ram, which means PS4.

I know a lot of people would love to see GT6 thrown onto PS4 with a few improvements, but with SONY most likely wanting to milk GT6 as much as they can, and Kaz wanting to increase the scope and quality of Gran Turismo substantially on PS4, I'm thinking that GT6 will be out for a good two years. In that timeframe, I'd expect PD to have accomplished enough work on the PS4 version that it be a whole new Gran Turismo, and thus labeled GT7.

Eks
I hope they don't end up porting GT6 to PS4, sweeten up the graphics, then *bam.* GT7.

I expect GT6 for PS4 and GT7 will be two separate releases, assuming the former will happen. It could potentially be used to "tempt" GT6 players to PS4 earlier with some kind of offer. But GT6 needs to come out for PS3 first.

I don't know if already posted...

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/14/h...ori-yamauchi-design-gran-turismo-6-interview/

Kazunori Yamauchi is the father of the authentic racing-simulation game. His Gran Turismo series, which he has designed since the launch of the original PlayStation, has sold more than 70 million units since 1997. Gran Turismo 6 arrives in the fall for PlayStation 3, and Yamauchi, the chief executive of Sony’s Polyphony Digital game studio, told GamesBeat that becoming a pro race driver has helped him design a more realistic game.
Yamauchi talked with us at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in a small group interview. Here’s an edited version of the talk.

GamesBeat: If you have an untrained eye, what would you notice that’s better about PlayStation 4 racing games compared to the PlayStation 3?
Kazunori Yamauchi: It’ll be an answer for an untrained eye as well, but the hardware performance of the PS4 is much better than the PS3, so you’re going to be a much richer image.

GamesBeat: What if I don’t care about graphics so much, though? What if it looks good enough for me already?
Yamauchi: I totally understand that because you’re right. To an untrained eye, the distinction between the images that you see on PS3 and PS4 might not be apparent. I think in that respect, video games have really matured. From here on, what’s going to be demanded of video games is an evolution that isn’t just about looking better or moving faster.

GamesBeat: [Gran Turismo 5] was very robust. It probably had the biggest scope of any of the GT games. Where do you go from there? What can you add to GT6 to give fans more?
Yamauchi: You’re right. GT5 was a huge game. At the same time, it was kind of bulky and slow as well. That was something I wanted to improve for GT6. I think that if you try out the demo on the show floor, you might realize that right off, going from the top screen to when you’re actually driving a car, there are no loading times. Everything is seamless now. There’s nothing that will stop you in between the scenes when you’re playing the game. The scale might have been great, but we were lacking in response because of the sheer size of the game. In GT6, one of the major objectives was to improve upon that.

GamesBeat: If we could take a broader view for a moment, you’re in a very unique position, having been involved with Sony’s consoles since Sony started making consoles. The series has spanned every one. I was wondering what kinds of things you’ve been able to do with each transition and what you’re looking forward to doing with the next transition. With GT6, you’re building on that speed and efficiency with the PlayStation 3. I’m wondering what else is in store for the next generation.
Yamauchi: Should I start with the first one, then? [Laughs] Back in the days of the PlayStation, the development device was about the size of a refrigerator. I created the first demo on that machine. I did the modeling by myself. I made a demo where an F1 car would drive around an oval track with flat shading — no textures. But the result was really kind of stunning. I never thought that I’d see the day when we could make games with 3D graphics. Of course, back then, I used to tinker with PCs and make games there as well, but I never thought there would come a day when these 3D models could run at 30 frames per second. That was a major surprise for me, when the first PlayStation came out.
When the [PlayStation 2] came out, one unique characteristic of that system was that the screen fill rate was very fast. Even looking back now, it’s very fast. In some cases, it’s faster than the PS3. There, we were able to use a lot of textures. It was able to do that read-modify-write, where it reads the screen, you take the screenshot, and you modify it and send it back. It could do that very quickly.
I don’t know if anybody remembers, but when the PS2 first came out, the first thing I did on that was a demo for the announcement. I showed a demo of GT3 that showed the Seattle course at sunset with the heat rising off the ground and shimmering. You can’t re-create that heat haze effect on the PS3 because the read-modify-write just isn’t as fast as when we were using the PS2. There are things like that. Another reason is because of the transition to full HD.
The PS3 was a combination of a poor GPU with an SPU that’s really fast if you use it right. It’s not a very well-balanced machine. It’s hard to use the hardware properly. That’s one reason why it took us five years to develop GT5. Using the SPU properly, though, that in itself is really interesting. On the PS3, in the demo, we showed the adaptive tessellation. That’s the kind of technology that you normally wouldn’t be able to do unless you were on the PS4-generation of machines. When you optimize the use of the SPU properly, you can do that even on the PS3.
That leads into how we work on the PS4. The PS4 isn’t as off-balance as the PS3 was. If you look at the market right now, Gran Turismo is one of the only games on the PS3 that does 1080p at 60 frames per second. It was really difficult to achieve that. On the PS4, the lowest common denominator is going to be boosted. Most games will be able to do 1080p at 60 frames per second. That’s the real good part about the PS4.

GamesBeat: You became a race driver yourself. How has that helped you make your games better?
Yamauchi: It was a surprise to me, too, but we can take the car to places like Yokohama Tires or KW Suspension and do bench tests on them. Then we take the car out to the track and do our driving tests. The cars are just packed with sensors when we’re doing this. That model that’s created from that data, I actually drive it in Gran Turismo 6. Having that triangle, going from the bench test to a test drive to a drive in the game, the simulation test — that loop is really interesting to follow. In the loop of that process, we learned a lot of different things.
In this year’s qualifying for the 24 Hours of the NĂĽrburgring, the Nissan GT-R GT3 that we were driving caught some air. It went quite a distance up off the track. It looked so dangerous that they were showing the video on loop for a while here internally. At the same time, in the pit lounge above the pits, we had a simulator there. We entered all the data from the car in that simulator, and when we set the car to exactly where it was going on the track, it did the exact same thing at the exact same spot in Gran Turismo. We were able to adjust the front ride height and the rear wing so it doesn’t do that anymore. I never would have imagined that a day would come when we could do something like that. It was a very dangerous moment in time, but at the same time, it was an interesting discovery for us.

GamesBeat: How many races have you competed in so far?
Yamauchi: I started racing about five years ago. Since then, I’ve run in about five or six races a year. I haven’t driven all that much.

GamesBeat: It’s a lot more than me. [Laughter]
Yamauchi: Here’s that picture from the NĂĽrburgring. That’s the real car, wheelie-ing over a section called the Flugplatz. It’s one of the first spots where people are liable to jump on the course because of the way the track comes up before it and comes back down. The car came off the ground and kept doing the wheelie there for about 15 meters before it came back down.

GamesBeat: How fast were you going?
Yamauchi: About 230 kilometers per hour, I think? It was about 5 degrees up off the ground.

GamesBeat: The reason you were able to do that is because you’ve gotten very good at physics simulation within the engine, then?
Yamauchi: It’s true. Physics is something where you can’t just aim for it and come up with results. It’s really a lot of trial and error most of the time.

GamesBeat: Thinking forward, so many games have online interactions, but at least for me, GT has been a very single-player-focused experience. How important is online play for you moving forward?
Yamauchi: Online play is a feature that all games are going to have automatically now. Of course, Gran Turismo is going to have that as a feature. But when you think about it, what’s really important to a Real Driving Simulator isn’t that kind of competition. Online features are something that we have to have, but that’s not going to be the part of the game that will be the deciding factor for most people. The basic simulation is still the core of the game.

GamesBeat: I wonder what players will notice that will feel differently about Gran Turismo 6 as opposed to the last game. Is there a specific thing that you think people will latch on to, and why is that important?
Yamauchi: We’ve done things like relieving the stress of the menus and transitions, making it faster with things like that. But what I want people to be drawn to in GT6 is really the feeling of driving in the game. That’s what impresses me the most when I’m playing GT6 in the middle of testing out the system.

GamesBeat: All I can say is that if you make GT6 too good, maybe nobody will buy a PlayStation 4.
Yamauchi: Once everyone has played out GT6 on the PS3, we are thinking about a PS4 game. When that comes out, we’ll be testing the limits of the PS4, just like in this version we’re releasing now. We’ve really pushed the limits of the PS3 as far as it can go.

Back