Gran Turismo 6 modding discussion

United Kingdom
Sunderland
Thanks to some very talented folks who have now discovered how to unpack and repack GT5 and 6's file structures, we can start modding the PS3 era games.

As with the GT2 and GT5 threads and the site-wide rules, discussion of emulation/piracy/disc images etc are not permitted. This thread is simply for showcase and discussion of mods for GT6.

Let's dive into some of the possibilities, shall we?

- Adding entirely new engines and vehicles (although without fully working names for now):
unknown.png

- Replacing car sounds with others'. In this instance I replaced the Peugeot 905's awful generic-race-exhaust sound with the Lexus LF-A from GT5, a lot closer to the real 3.5L V10 (or at least as close as we can get with GT's existing sounds!):

- Adding entirely new events with custom restrictions, AI grids, working star/cash rewards, and just about every single property of a race:

Yep, there's a table of "boosts" that are somehow assigned to different AI cars in each race. I haven't played with them yet but I'm guessing it's a scale from 0-100, 0 being off and 100 being very strong.

Try boosting the cars at the back of the field and assigning 0 to the front and see what happens 💡

For the past weekend I've been working on a tool which is a slightly simpler way of creating events for GT6. What I refer to as "events" are the items you see in Novice, National B, etc. such as Nurb 24 Minutes, with each event containing a number of races. The interface and options are subject to change but it's getting pretty close to something usable.

The user can create an event with their own name and title which will show in the game, as well as the stars needed and the category it will show up in:
upload_2020-7-27_10-36-24.png

Within that event they can specify how many races it has, each with their own title (or automatically "[Event Name]: Race X" if unchanged), the course it will take place on, and a number of other options. "Finish Type" can be set to Laps or Minutes, and the field will update accordingly.
upload_2020-7-27_10-36-13.png

In each race you can specify the list of vehicles the AI will be randomly picked from, as well as their skill range and the tire compound they will use:
upload_2020-7-27_10-41-38.png

(Number of entries is the number up to 32 of how many cars can be chosen from, not the number of AI in the race)

And the aspiration/drivetrain restrictions, min/max allowed tire compounds, and any allowed or specifically banned vehicles:
upload_2020-7-27_10-43-57.png

And the credit awards for each race:
upload_2020-7-27_10-44-15.png

(Adding rewards such as paint chips and/or cars is planned but not implemented)

The tool can currently export to XML, read an existing event from XML for modifying, and there's an option for it to try to automatically add the event to the game's menu database - this is done at your own risk and backups are expected to be made.

Otherwise events can be exported from the tool and added to the game manually if you know how to, then repacked and added to the game:
unknown.png

unknown.png

I'm hoping this will come in useful for those with modded PS3s who want to extend the variety and life of the game a little, and possibly could even be used by the folks currently running the Challenge Hubs to create an event that everyone will load and compete in.

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-27_10-35-12.png
    upload_2020-7-27_10-35-12.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 199
For the past weekend I've been working on a tool which is a slightly simpler way of creating events for GT6. What I refer to as "events" are the items you see in Novice, National B, etc. such as Nurb 24 Minutes, with each event containing a number of races. The interface and options are subject to change but it's getting pretty close to something usable.

The user can create an event with their own name and title which will show in the game, as well as the stars needed and the category it will show up in:
View attachment 944195

Within that event they can specify how many races it has, each with their own title (or automatically "[Event Name]: Race X" if unchanged), the course it will take place on, and a number of other options. "Finish Type" can be set to Laps or Minutes, and the field will update accordingly.
View attachment 944194

In each race you can specify the list of vehicles the AI will be randomly picked from, as well as their skill range and the tire compound they will use:
View attachment 944196
(Number of entries is the number up to 32 of how many cars can be chosen from, not the number of AI in the race)

And the aspiration/drivetrain restrictions, min/max allowed tire compounds, and any allowed or specifically banned vehicles:
View attachment 944197

View attachment 944198

The tool can currently export to XML, read an existing event from XML for modifying, and there's an option for it to try to automatically add the event to the game's menu database - this is done at your own risk and backups are expected to be made.

Otherwise events can be exported from the tool and added to the game manually if you know how to, then repacked and added to the game:
unknown.png

unknown.png

I'm hoping this will come in useful for those with modded PS3s who want to extend the variety and life of the game a little, and possibly could even be used by the folks currently running the Challenge Hubs to create an event that everyone will load and compete in.
@bjl23 would be pleased when you said this, and this could even be used by the folks currently running the Challenge Hubs to create an event that everyone will load and compete in.

@bjl23 would be pleased when you said this, and this could even be used by the folks currently running the Challenge Hubs to create an event that everyone will load and compete in.
Here's hoping, although the requirement of having a modded PS3 or emulator (when they work better) with a legitimate copy might bar a fair few from being able to use it. Hopefully there's some use to be had from it though.

View attachment 944195

View attachment 944194

View attachment 944196

View attachment 944197

View attachment 944198

unknown.png

unknown.png

That is awesome.
I'm not very good with all the tech talk, what do you exactly mean when you say 'modded PS3' or 'emulator'?

That is awesome.
I'm not very good with all the tech talk, what do you exactly mean when you say 'modded PS3' or 'emulator'?
Basically, to use events created by my tool, you have to mod the game's files to add them. This can't be done on a normal PS3, but you can modify them with a softmod (details I won't go into here), or an emulator which is a way of playing the console's games on PC (and methods of getting the game can't be discussed here).

One thing I will say though is that a modded PS3 can't and shouldn't go online to PSN, so I recommend only doing it on a console where you don't care about losing that ability.

Basically, to use events created by my tool, you have to mod the game's files to add them. This can't be done on a normal PS3, but you can modify them with a softmod (details I won't go into here), or an emulator which is a way of playing the console's games on PC (and methods of getting the game can't be discussed here).

One thing I will say though is that a modded PS3 can't and shouldn't go online to PSN, so I recommend only doing it on a console where you don't care about losing that ability.
If I created an event using your tool for the challenge hub would everyone need a modded ps3 to race that event?

Question: Is it possible to add course maker tracks to the game? The sample tracks are still available in the game, so I imagine that if we can put our own .ted files in the same directory they could be loaded in the game 💡

What do you think? I have a bunch of tracks saved on my computer and can send you some if you want to give it a try.

Another thought regarding the modded PS3 thing - for all we know over the next few months/years, those of us still holding on to GT6 could start to shift over to modded consoles to experience the new content, so it could still be useful in future.

Question: Is it possible to add course maker tracks to the game? The sample tracks are still available in the game, so I imagine that if we can put our own .ted files in the same directory they could be loaded in the game 💡

What do you think? I have a bunch of tracks saved on my computer and can send you some if you want to give it a try.
Might be tricky but if you want to zip some up and send them via DM, I can have a look some time.

Unfortunately yes, although of course you could always simply use it as a way of writing down the details for a challenge you want to set I suppose.
It would be so cool to have the challenge hub events like that but I'm not going to hack my console and ask the guys to hack there console.

Pretty exciting news, modding sounds, making the A.I faster and hopefully tire wear offline would be great to have. I suppose there must be some settings file somewhere too to lower the deadzone for gamepad users? GT6 always feels twitchy to me compared to GT5.

Pretty exciting news, modding sounds, making the A.I faster and hopefully tire wear offline would be great to have. I suppose there must be some settings file somewhere too to lower the deadzone for gamepad users? GT6 always feels twitchy to me compared to GT5.
Everything you’ve listed is definitely possible, although I don’t know about the controller part yet. As for the others:

- AI can be made more difficult, by default they’re set to 75-85 in most events, but at 100-120 they can be seriously competitive (and realistically mistake-prone with the occasional punt and running off track)

- All events have fuel and tire wear set as far as I know, but the multipliers can be increased if you want more of a challenge.

- Sounds can be ported from GT5, and I’ve spent the past few days researching GT6’s AES system which can generate engine sounds from nothing, which is perfect for giving some uniqueness to those batches of cars that share sounds. I’ve had some exciting results from this already, stay tuned for a double post shortly.

Everything you’ve listed is definitely possible, although I don’t know about the controller part yet. As for the others:

- AI can be made more difficult, by default they’re set to 75-85 in most events, but at 100-120 they can be seriously competitive (and realistically mistake-prone with the occasional punt and running off track)

- All events have fuel and tire wear set as far as I know, but the multipliers can be increased if you want more of a challenge.

- Sounds can be ported from GT5, and I’ve spent the past few days researching GT6’s AES system which can generate engine sounds from nothing, which is perfect for giving some uniqueness to those batches of cars that share sounds. I’ve had some exciting results from this already, stay tuned for a double post shortly.
I’d love to know how to make the AI more difficult as is one of the main things I don’t like about GT6, Is there a tutorial available for this?

I’d love to know how to make the AI more difficult as is one of the main things I don’t like about GT6, Is there a tutorial available for this?
No tutorial yet - it's nothing difficult but would involve editing every event that you want to increase the difficulty of, so there's not really a quick way around it. Completely possible, but tedious work.

The event creator I'm working on will let you pick a minimum and maximum skill, and all of the AI will be generated between that, so hopefully anyone adding events will be able to tailor the difficulty to how they want it.

The event creator I'm working on will let you pick a minimum and maximum skill, and all of the AI will be generated between that, so hopefully anyone adding events will be able to tailor the difficulty to how they want it.
If 85 is in the S class events, is that also the value for Arcade professional level?

I'm happy to announce that the first iteration of the first GT6 mod, which I'm calling Gran Turismo 6 Career Expansion, is ready to release publicly!

This initial release, for version 1.22 of the game, adds all of Gran Turismo 4's 34 Driving Missions to Gran Turismo 6. Where tracks no longer exist in GT6 I've provided what I believe to be appropriate substitutes, and rebalanced events so that they're still fun and challenging. Info on which tracks were swapped is in the provided documentation.

The new events are split between International B and International A the same way as in GT4, with the first 10 in the former and the remaining 24 in the latter, with a new category shown in each:
upload_2020-8-7_1-20-27.png

Each category utilises GT6's existing Mission Races layout with graphics and text descriptions populated for each event:
upload_2020-8-7_1-25-51.png

upload_2020-8-7_1-26-0.png

This mod is only available for users with a CFW/HEN PS3 - while I can't provide instructions on how to do that, the installation instructions for the mod itself are included in the download.

I hope everyone enjoys this, it was a lot of hard work but very fun to work on!

DOWNLOAD

That's amazing, I may dust off my old PS3 to try this.

Will you be releasing the tool you've created to make these events for downoad at any time?
Since these are very nuanced events they’re actually edited manually. I don’t think there’s a way to incorporate the creation of this type of race in my tool because it would make things really complicated.

The tool is more suited for creating events like GT6’s normal career events, but once the database editing tools are publicly available I’d be happy to help anyone who wants to dive into the XML and try making their own unique events.

Back