Gran Turismo 6 modding discussion

I'm wondering whether there is in GT 6 a "switch" for some of the soft top vehicles still, to lower the cover.
I think it's probably the models themselves. Every car has two main versions, one for menus and one for races. The menu one will have the roof down and the race one will have the roof up. However you've just made me realise that I've never considered swapping them, to see if the menu models are actually functional in races...

EDIT: Yep:
upload_2020-10-19_11-21-56.png

Last edited:
A full grid of touring/RM cars, most using custom paint chips to give them a relevant colour that I selected (e.g. Bayside Blue R34, Plum Crazy Challenger):
pht2323dd801cfb19dace35230016.png

The event is targeting 600PP as a balancing benchmark - the Corvettes are over 600 and the Mazda is well under - thankfully it's possible to set tuning parts and power limiters on the AI to BoP them myself.

Last edited:
Experimented even more with AI tuning, this time figuring out exactly how the aero parts work. Now I've set up a Mustang vs. Camaro event, but because there aren't 16 unique cars, I decided to give some of the duplicates something unique. AI are selected from a pool so sometimes neither will show up, sometimes just one, sometimes both.

Two GT350s can show up in the race - one will be stock, one will have the stripped-looking aero:
unknown.png

Same with the 2007 Mustang - one will be stock, one will show up with a custom green chip, no wing, and some different rims for a bit of a Bullitt look:
unknown.png

And finally I also figured out how to apply different options when a car has multiple available. Notice how the white Viper has the Special Wing Type A option, while the blue one has the more subtle Type B:
unknown.png

Open the XML for your race, find one of the drivers (probably by their name), and paste this somewhere within their <entry_base> tag: <paint_id value="550" />
That'll make it the same colour as the 2007 Mustang in the post above yours, and if it correctly sets up the stripe it should be visible.

Also, just a quick and dirty compressed video:

Thanks to Xenn for this one - finally GT6 has some victory music that I'll enjoy.

Seriously impressed with the engine sound results. Pardon my complete ignorance, but is it capable of doing rotary sounds? I haven't heard a good 3 rotor sound in any video games before...

Seriously impressed with the engine sound results. Pardon my complete ignorance, but is it capable of doing rotary sounds? I haven't heard a good 3 rotor sound in any video games before...
The only decent rotary I know of is the four rotor AES sound used on the Mazda Vision GT. Outside of that your best bet (non-AES) would be to port the sounds from another game or some other real world recording.

Man, honestly...I don't know what to say, this is amazing! Can I donor some credits to you?

Because this makes GT6 so much better, although I like it the most (except for GT4) it is exactly what you targeting which is getting on my nerves since day 1.
What I really hope is, that it will be possible to add new models like the RS4 B5 in...well...more than 3 polygons and the S4's as Avants since you just don't drive Audi as a saloon? estate? what's the english word for Limousine? And so much more! I would love to see a BMW 7 series or 850csi in the game or Porsche for that matter.

And the sounds! YES!
Keep it up and seriously, tell me if I can donor via paypal or something. Your work is much appreciatet.
I even registered just to write this.

I'm impressed with the constant progress on the modding front. I've not had much time to dedicate to this recently but my next experiment will need to be generating samples for use with more realistic AES presets :)

Something I've noticed with the torque curves and the tuning options is that it's difficult to get sensible results when increasing the engine rpm. Because all the tuning is based on the original torque curve with multipliers, you can't actually move the torque peak around very easily. So a high revving NA race engine will always have a little dip where the original power tailed off approaching the limiter. It would be great to be able to modify the actual torque curve with tuning parts, not just the three multipliers (high / low / mid).

It does a 3-rotor yeah. The problem with the AES presets included in the game is that they sound more like the filter than the engine configuration, because it's tuned to add so much distortion in a way. So all engine configurations pushed through the same filter kinda sound alike.

But after a bit of tweaking of the LM55 preset, the special 3:2 growl of all multiples-of-three chambered engines comes out just fine.

EDIT:

It's definitely handy not to underestimate what the exhaust parameters can do do the sound. I've had a lot of cases where I thought a sound wasn't great but it turned out to be the exhaust sound rather than the cylinder timings.

The sound sample thing is very interesting, how does it work? Blending the two, or having it change sounds for exhaust upgrades, etc?
I missed this, sorry @TheAdmiester. So the audio engine only has two sources per car, engine and exhaust. When AES is enabled, it only plays the engine samples - this adds enough contrast for some cars. The AES preset defines the ESGX volume, at least in later versions (I try to use 1.16+ presets mostly now, although the original version does some things better).

But the key here is to modify those "engine" samples so they contain the missing source: intake. Luckily the sound mixer controls the volume of the engine channel as though it were intake (probably because they had tried implementing the AES intake channel) and it shouldn't sound weird.

Last edited:
What I really hope is, that it will be possible to add new models like the RS4 B5 in...well...more than 3 polygons and the S4's as Avants since you just don't drive Audi as a saloon? estate? what's the english word for Limousine? And so much more! I would love to see a BMW 7 series or 850csi in the game or Porsche for that matter.

Editing car models is a very long way off I'd suspect - the most progress that has been made on editing car models in any GT game is very, very minor tweaks to models in GT2, which are a lot simpler. Creating new models like an 850CSi would require the model file format to be completely understood, and then someone would need to write an importer. Both of those are serious obstacles to overcome unfortunately.

Something I've noticed with the torque curves and the tuning options is that it's difficult to get sensible results when increasing the engine rpm. Because all the tuning is based on the original torque curve with multipliers, you can't actually move the torque peak around very easily. So a high revving NA race engine will always have a little dip where the original power tailed off approaching the limiter. It would be great to be able to modify the actual torque curve with tuning parts, not just the three multipliers (high / low / mid).

Oddly enough, the tuning parts in GT2 do have the ability to scale the torque curve to higher and lower RPM peaks, which is mainly only used by the Engine Balancing parts. For GT3 onwards, PD dumped that in favour of the three multipliers, which lets tuning parts make an engine more or less peaky, but no longer does RPM scaling well.

The Forza games solve this by having the torque curve tied to the camshaft upgrade, so each level of that upgrade can do whatever it wants. However, Turn10 normally just tweak the curve to scale up the RPM and thus power without much of an increase in torque. It's possible to set up lots of interesting stuff with it though, for example back in FM4 I put together an Nissan RB30ET that could be converted into a twin-cam RB30DE by removing the turbo kit and fitting a DOHC head as a 'camshaft upgrade'. GT doesn't have the same flexibility, but then Forza doesn't have the interesting AES tech or certain other things that GT does.

So I've been fiddling about with @Nenkai's Event Generator & I'd like to pose a question. Would it be possible, at some point, to have such freedom when tuning AI cars, that you could have an AI car with a specific tuning setup (an AI Gallardo with RIDOX's Gallardo GT3 tune, for example)? Or are the tuning options for AI cars not extensive enough for that?

So I've been fiddling about with @Nenkai's Event Generator & I'd like to pose a question. Would it be possible, at some point, to have such freedom when tuning AI cars, that you could have an AI car with a specific tuning setup (an AI Gallardo with RIDOX's Gallardo GT3 tune, for example)? Or are the tuning options for AI cars not extensive enough for that?
I believe there is a way to fine tune cars even more than the options available at the moment, but it is not a regular XML node - a binary one that I haven't seen used anywhere.
It'll require quite precise reverse engineering, which at the moment am not too interested/priorized about considering some regular event XML entries are not yet supported.

Last edited:
This is so cool! The Ford GT sound mod a page or two back is incredible, honestly better than anything I've heard in GTS, and more accurate than the one in GTS from the videos I just looked up. How many more of the cars sounds do you plan on changing?

This is so cool! The Ford GT sound mod a page or two back is incredible, honestly better than anything I've heard in GTS, and more accurate than the one in GTS from the videos I just looked up. How many more of the cars sounds do you plan on changing?
I mostly just go after GT's worst offenders, for instance the race cars which share an awful generic exhaust. Some (e.g. GT5's stock LFA and Gallardo) are acceptable so those will probably stay as they are.

Made a brief compilation of some of the mods I've done so far. This only covers a handful of the 70+ replacements I've made so far, but if you listen closely you'll also hear some of the AI using enhanced sounds too.

This is absolutely incredible. I had been searching endlessly for any type of expansions to GT6 since the servers shut down 2 years ago.
I searched today and I am overjoyed.
I would gladly donate to you to continue working on this.

Have you had any luck with importing custom tracks again?
I miss having mountain passes and drift circuits like Nikko in the game.

You're doing god's work and I can't thank you enough for working on something I hold dear.
Much love!

Back