Gran Turismo 6's Online Services Are Officially Dead Now

A truly sad day. If GT6 had the custom event feature that GT Sport has (with tire and fuel wear), it would have made for the perfect off-line game.

I think me and my crew were the last men standing - hung in there until 4PM BST..
Never really got to grips with 6, what with the early physics change I could never manage to get comfy even with the exhaustive tunes on here, especially when compared to 5.
RIP GT6 - FU PD

Attachments

• IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 230
Sad news. A good reminder that nothing lasts forever when it comes to online servers though. When the GT:Sport servers get turned off the impact will probably more intrusive to those who want to dust it off and boot it up for a hit of nostalgia. I can't help but wonder how Kaz has apparently been quoted as saying that GT:Sport will have every feature of previous titles after that summary of what we got with GT:6. More classic tracks for GT:Sport please Kaz!

Coming from the Forza series on the 360, I only picked GT6 up along with a cheap PS3 just before Christmas. (Played the early GT games on the PS1-2)
But I made sure to grind the seasonals to get the 20 million cars.
So I'm only about 55% thru the actual single player. I had planned to upgrade consoles by now, but GTS in it's current form seems a massive backstep with prettier graphics to me, due to lack of cars and tracks in comparison. - However I'm tempted by Project Cars 2.

A very sad day, too sad. Those where the best spent few bucks on a used PS3 and gt6 that gave so many good moments and the opportunity to meet a ton of people, some of which now I consider like a second family. But anyway, these good memories will remain as time passes by.

I don't regret haven't slept in 24+ hours just to play till the last moment, so worth it.

Bb gt6

Of all the online features, I'm going to miss the Track Path Editor the most. I enjoyed building courses, some more ridiculous than others. One of mine (St. Andrew's Park) was even chosen as the Track of the Week for Week 17. Now it's on to bigger and better things.

Perhaps I will miss the wonky and unique seasonal events the most...especially the endurance race ones. The leaderboards always held my interest too, really sparked my competitive side. I did race in some leagues for a while, but since I only acquired a wheel back in January of this year, I was always a bit too slow. Turtle racing league was the one I remember the most, but I know there were a few others I dabbled with. Sorry for those times I pretended to lose connection by disconnecting my ethernet cable; since quitting was always discouraged and frowned upon, especially when you were behind, I often came up with excuses like that ;). It worked because there was always a mix of bad connection days that legitimately kept you from playing that night.

It has been years since I last raced online with GT6. I've posted this before in similar threads, but ever since I downloaded Assetto Corsa through Steam, it was sayonara to Gran Turismo. Even iRacing has quickly gained my interest in the past 2.5-3 months. GT gave me a solid base and years of fun, but the new gen of "sim" games has felt like a sheet being removed from my head. All the proper simulation I was missing out on really changed my perspective, as well as doing some proper trackdays in real life. Now, granted, AC has some flaws, and iRacing has the worst UI I've ever dealt with, but I still have so much fun with those games. Plus, if I want an experience that is more in-line with GT regarding weather, time of day, variety in races, etc., there is always Project Cars 1 & 2.

At least GT can still be fun. I have yet to actually play GT Sport, but I imagine I wouldn't walk away from it if I had the opportunity (have yet to pick up a PS4, been happy with with my low-mid range PC).

I still need to Gold the Brands Hatch Senna challenge, other than that I already got the Platinum. It's unfortunate the coarse creator wiped people's saved tracks once offline. But it was quite a big joke from the start, frankly I am surprised people gave it the amount of interest it gathered. I know it's a bit of a weird and indirect comparison, but the course creator was nowhere near as good as the Create-A-Park from the Tony Hawk series. Few other games offered such an amazing user-creation experience. I suppose the other good example I can think of right now is TrackMania.

Anyway, I'll just leave with this thought; if a group of people can manage to develop a bypass to revive MGS4's MGO again, then I bet a similar group of people could figure out a method of hosting the GT6 lobbies again. It may or many not involve reseting one's PS3 or jailbreaking it (like with the Save MGO method), but it seems at this point the biggest factors come down to interest and effort with pursuing the project.

Last edited:
My favorite was racing on created tracks with awesome views & beaten everyone with the Lotus 97T that no one can beat me in & I hope the gt sport update fixes the understeer oversteer no grip problems I been having with my cars since the last update im 3 to 4 seconds off my pace & lap times I was doing with same setups on my cars but now after the last update before this one I can't get anywhere near my lap times

I thought i had 2 days to go online for the last time. Nevermind, When GT7 arrives on PS5 (few years after the initial launch) i will buy it (75%)

Had nice times with you guys.
Now I'm thinking of moving on to Project Cars.
GTS doesn't really fit my needs. Track list is a desaster, I'm not willing to pay for this ****.

So long, GT6. My back is still messed up from the sheer amount of time I put into you with the G27. Despite your foibles, you were a blast.

Anyway, I'll just leave with this thought; if a group of people can manage to develop a bypass to revive MGS4's MGO again, then I bet a similar group of people could figure out a method of hosting the GT6 lobbies again. It may or many not involve reseting one's PS3 or jailbreaking it (like with the Save MGO method), but it seems at this point it's more down to effort and interest in pursuing the project.

I thought the same , I think it could be really possible to make GT6 lobbies again online so we can continue race together,

Saved the Complex String track, can't keep >.<

Faranelli fam that final cruise meet was so incredible and funny! Would love to see your posts er on FB what-have-ye

Upped my replay of it, so great, well I need to revisit and try photo mode and hope I can photo some fires.. unless they just disappear no matter what

This game kept me glued to the screen for years and was the first GT title that I played online a lot. I miss makeshift shuffle racing and the seasonal challenges the most.

I have switched over to GT Sport. My hope is that GTS will grow further and bring back some of the good old stuff. I dont really need Sport mode.

Felt like the very last scene of Clarkson's Top Gear.

Yep.. you're right. It's heartbreaking. It truly is

Now wait for GT7 to come out and GT sport to become a Coffee coaster.
When GTS dies I'm going to laugh my head off

I'm gonna miss the servers filled with people who did nothing but drift. Being in a 10 or so vehicle tandem around Suzuka Circuit is gonna be missed so much.
One of my first servers I ever joined was a drift server on Tsukuba Circuit. Was on it for hours, 5-12 tandem around the whole course in nothing but custom JDM. One of my fondest memories...

Shame, I had such good times on this, but I’ll still be keeping my PS3 along with GT6 (and still got the previous GT series and PlayStations too), this game got played practically every night. Plus love those seasonal events.

I’ll keep GT6 going even if it’s no longer available online.
Same my man

A very sad day, too sad. Those where the best spent few bucks on a used PS3 and gt6 that gave so many good moments and the opportunity to meet a ton of people, some of which now I consider like a second family. But anyway, these good memories will remain as time passes by.

I don't regret haven't slept in 24+ hours just to play till the last moment, so worth it.

Bb gt6
To all of you who were able to drive until the last moment, I only wish I could have been there with you.. my last 2 hours were spent with my closest friend (who I met on GT6 around January this year) on the 23/03/18. I am extremely thankful that I was able to ride with him of all people one last time. Those last drives with him, they are my fondest memories...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have some programming know-how? We need to try and code a private server for GT6. Private servers have been made for the Wii and PS2, so we should be able to create one to support GT6 (And maybe some other PS3 games!)

Dang. Looks like I'm a year late to download any custom tracks into my old PS3 with my old copy of GT6 to make a dedicated sim rig in the garage, now that PS4 is on family duty in the small living room. Any know of any workarounds to get custom tracks like Michigan's Gingerman Raceway back into GT6 now that online is dead?

Dang. Looks like I'm a year late to download any custom tracks into my old PS3 with my old copy of GT6 to make a dedicated sim rig in the garage, now that PS4 is on family duty in the small living room. Any know of any workarounds to get custom tracks like Michigan's Gingerman Raceway back into GT6 now that online is dead?
You can't anymore.

And today I thought, "I'm finally gonna try that course editor should be sweet" only to find out that not only it's not in-game like GT5 but you also need to connect to the servers which are dead now LOL this is some BS... 10gb+ of patches/updates and a long ass install for this? even the shadows are still heavily glitched on some tracks.
Also can't get the Ferrari F40 to handle decently, bought all upgrades, tried different setups and the thing skids at the slightest turn of the analog, not even pushing the throttle to the max, this car just seems broken, I refuse to believe a car like this in real life with a racing suspension and tires will skid easily at speeds as low as 60km/h!:odd: the handling on this one is a ton better in GT5.

Cant wait for all the idiots who say "Online only is FINE!" to face reality when gt sports servers goto the same grave as GT5 and GT6.

Exactly.. I don't really like the way they did stuff.. Not just the game.. And not just that I need ps4 which is fine.. But I need a new wheel too while Im perfectly happy with this one.. I just don't want all of that to play one game which is not even a proper game..

Cant wait for all the idiots who say "Online only is FINE!" to face reality when gt sports servers goto the same grave as GT5 and GT6.
I guess it shouldn't take any longer once the new PS5 comes out.

Back