Gran Turismo 7 Daytona Speedway Gameplay Revealed

• Thread starter Famine
  • 466 comments
It seems nobody realizes what those sneaky PD fellas left out of both gameplay trailers so far: Collisions with other cars. I assume this is because crashing in GT still consists of a ridiculous "Boink!" sound and some minor cosmetic damage, at best.
Is it nobody realizing it or many people pretty much expecting collisions and therefore damage to not get ANY improvement regardless of how much noise gets made about? The general feel in the room has me leaning towards the latter.

Last edited:
Is it nobody realizing it or many people pretty much expecting collisions and therefore damage to not get ANY improvement regardless of how much noise gets made about? The general feel in the room has me leaning towards the latter.
A better damage model would be amazing, but I don't think that's the whole story. As I alluded to earlier, the "ping pong physics" of GTS has been a point of contention ever since launch. Cars bounce off each other and suffer an exaggerated impact when a collision happens online. I can't back this up unfortunately, but ask around and I'm pretty sure you'll get that general consensus among Sport Mode players.

Granted, the ping pong physics may be down to lag (see: Yamanaka "punts" Kokubun at Willow Springs), but in GT League of GTS, I personally find that the AI cars drive as though on rails with the aid of Skid Recovery Force of GT6. Try ramming one, and you'll find that you'll cost yourself more time and momentum than your victim, even if they are in a lighter car.

If some sort of contact, collision, or even competitive intent was at all shown in the Daytona trailer, we may have been able to glean more information about these weaker aspects of GTS. The fact that they didn't, makes me think they know it's a problem that hasn't been addressed. And GT7 badly needs to improve on these areas if it is to expand on what GTS already offers in Sport Mode, and to have an actually engaging career mode. I think I have more fun doing the dishes than stressing out in Sport Mode or slogging through GT League.

It's simply frustrating to see trailers that contain only the things we already know, without showing anything new aside from the liveries that most will replace with a custom one.

Me personally, I'm fine with not having BeamNG levels of deformation and mechanical damage, even if it will incentivise cleaner racing. For an accessible title like GT, I think the current mechanical damage we have in GTS can be tweaked to deincentivise contact more. I barely notice any performance loss even with aero or suspension damage. If PD made these parts more fragile and gave them more pronounced performance penalties, I think it will serve the same purpose without going through the legal minefield of showing damaged cars.

I, for one, don't care about damage modeling that much, especially when licensing can make modeling damage a nightmare. Even if the idea of a damage model for licensed cars isn't a problem - like we can see in iRacing - I can only imagine how many man-hours it'd take to make a good damage model for so many cars.

I think that for the most part, I'm very content with the mechanical damage model we have now. If anything, I'd simply have it turned on for most if not all races in Sport Mode, as a further incentive to drive clean. I'd probably just have most races use the "light" setting, with some more major races using "heavy," and only seldom setting it to "off."

Basically, if you want parts flying off, I'd either play iRacing or Burnout Paradise.

Last edited:
I, for one, don't care about damage modeling that much, especially when licensing can make modeling damage a nightmare. Even if the idea of a damage model for licensed cars isn't a problem - like we can see in iRacing - I can only imagine how many man-hours it'd take to make a good damage model for so many cars.
You're right, that not only is vehicle damage severely restricted by licensing (making sure they're not destroyed and misfigured beyond recognition, or that there isn't much broken glass or parts having flown or broken off from the car itself), it will also take modeling work too, to render believable-looking damage, or at least some form of it, so as not to bastardize the manufacturers' cars.

No wonder why in many other recent games, they're restricted to making their damage models look like, how do I say this... you take a piece of paper, crumple it, then try to unfold it. This is how I see it in GT Sport, plus with minor details such as cracks on the car's lighting systems, and scratches all over the paint (GT5's damage modeling is like almost melting the car itself).

You can't have body panels such as hoods, trunks, doors, bumpers, side skirts and mirrors damaged anymore, and they're becoming an endangered species in many racing games with licensed cars. It's just not going to be that possible anymore, even when games like the original Grid and older Codemasters racing games executed their damage models beautifully.

As for mechanical damage, I personally hope it's a mix between Forza and Project CARS, but with the possibility of elimination from the race, where if you blow your engine or lose an entire wheel, you could get eliminated (also if you turn on "simulation damage", flipping a car will nearly make it almost impossible to flip back on its wheels). It's unlikely, but it will spice things up a bit.

You're right, that not only is vehicle damage severely restricted by licensing (making sure they're not destroyed and misfigured beyond recognition, or that there isn't much broken glass or parts having flown or broken off from the car itself), it will also take modeling work too, to render believable-looking damage, or at least some form of it, so as not to bastardize the manufacturers' cars.

No wonder why in many other recent games, they're restricted to making their damage models look like, how do I say this... you take a piece of paper, crumple it, then try to unfold it. This is how I see it in GT Sport, plus with minor details such as cracks on the car's lighting systems, and scratches all over the paint (GT5's damage modeling is like almost melting the car itself).

You can't have body panels such as hoods, trunks, doors, bumpers, side skirts and mirrors damaged anymore, and they're becoming an endangered species in many racing games with licensed cars. It's just not going to be that possible anymore, even when games like the original Grid and older Codemasters racing games executed their damage models beautifully.

As for mechanical damage, I personally hope it's a mix between Forza and Project CARS, but with the possibility of elimination from the race, where if you blow your engine or lose an entire wheel, you could get eliminated (also if you turn on "simulation damage", flipping a car will nearly make it almost impossible to flip back on its wheels). It's unlikely, but it will spice things up a bit.
I've flipped quite a few times at willow springs on gts. If you know what I mean you know what I mean.... :)

Not really, no - that's not how corporate megastructures work. And even if it did, what is it supposed to do with these training methods for making faster AI? And even if it could do something with them, how does that translate to better AI?

AI that can go faster than you isn't AI that can share a race track with you (or 14 of itself). Training AI to go superhuman speeds doesn't generate racecraft.

And that all diverts from the point that you flagged this up as "They have already created an AI that can beat the best drivers", when in fact "they" haven't. Someone else, flimsily linked through several tiers of a corporate entity, has. It's the latest example of you asserting something untrue with sources that don't support it.
I think it's fair to say that this is one instance where my endless optimism was right on track. Indeed PD did have access to the data and worked together with Sony AI to improve not just speed but racecraft and has plans to now integrate the system into GT7. Could it have gone the other way? Sure but hope is all that is keeping me alive these days and so I approach everything from that perspective.

I think it's fair to say that this is one instance where my endless optimism was right on track.
No, it isn't. Absolutely mindblowing you'd dig this back up again, when nothing here actually bears out what you really said at the time.

Well, it would be if it wasn't a user perpetually using sources that don't support them.

No, it isn't. Absolutely mindblowing you'd dig this back up again, when nothing here actually bears out what you really said at the time.

Well, it would be if it wasn't a user perpetually using sources that don't support them.
I speculate wildly as I think many do and hopefully I don't claim to have all the facts but simply ponder the potential implications of the information we have.

hopefully I don't claim to have all the facts
You claimed that Kaz was excited for the Sophy announcement when all he literally did was re-iterate the time which the event was happening.

Why you're trying to gotcha one of the highest ranking members of the site, I do not understand at all. You do realize Kaz isn't seeing you defend his honor this hard, right?

You do realize Kaz isn't seeing you defend his honor this hard, right?
Little do you know that Kaz is going to turn up on his doorstep tonight with a bunch of roses and a bottle of champagne.

Kaz stands there stoically as Magog looks up into his eyes. There is silence for a long moment, and then Kaz puts his hand on the small of Magog's back and leads him inside. He puts the roses and champagne on the table and gently closes the front door.

"Thank you," he whispers gently in Magog's ear.

Two hours later the neighbours call in a noise complaint.

Little do you know that Kaz is going to turn up on his doorstep tonight with a bunch of roses and a bottle of champagne.

Kaz stands there stoically as Magog looks up into his eyes. There is silence for a long moment, and then Kaz puts his hand on the small of Magog's back and leads him inside. He puts the roses and champagne on the table and gently closes the front door.

I want to frame this post.

The GTPlanet Cinematic Universe

You think Kaz will go for the reach around? I like to think he would be a generous lover.

This post triggered my priapism

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

Back