Gran Turismo 7 Engine Swap Compatibility

• Thread starter Famine
  • 5,585 comments
Well if you knew even half of the engine swap builds i’ve made in NFS Heat & Unbound, I think I would be tried for Automotive Blasphemy and High Treason. :lol:

But as an actual suggestion for the Cobra with some actual historical basis for it, how about the Dodge Viper V10?

I mean they did do Carroll Shelby edition Vipers after all. :P

Honestly I don't really care too much what others do, partly a joke hence the 🙃. Personally I would not do things like that. Imo just because you can, doesn't mean you should. 🤪

Suggesting engines like Viper sounds like something I could possibly find cool, although the OG is the best in most cases, like in the case of Cobra. Imo an engine swap is the best, when it is from the same manufacturer. Exceptions are when the engine is from the same country or similar characteristics as the original engine, especially in terms of sound and cylinder size (F40 engine fails in the country and sound department).

And btw there is no point to argue with my logic, I am a complex person, even I sometimes do not understand myself 🤷. Even Einstein would give up trying to understand me. 😎 At least you didn't suggest that put an EV into a Cobra that is a whole another can of worms. 🤣

Or, the 289 Hi Po from the '66 G.T. 350. Yes, slower but the weight savings off the nose would improve the handling considerably. And, I think most of the real world Cobra racecars are 289s.
Absolutely. In general I'd like to see swaps that are more like sideways steps of even downgrades in terms of power, instead of the overkills most of them are now. Such as just the 289 for the Cobra, perhaps the C2 Corvette engine for the C1, or even the Celica inline four for the A80 Supra.

I just performed an engine swap on my RX7 (FD) '02 but I feel I should clearly improve the basic setup.
Is anybody have and could share a good setup to improve the adherence and up shifting ?
I m searching it to enjoy a race like hypercar parad (I m not interested for drift).
The goal is really to improve the car performance with this new engine :)

It would be nice for GT team to get a pulse on what's acceptable for a fully tuned engine from a tuner.

Windsor-351-Maverick makes way too much power fully tuned imo, more than a fully tuned Veyron. No way that's realistic, an OHV motor from half a century ago vs. a contemporary budgetless VW group build with more displacement. I would say the Bolide power output is the minimum we should see in the game for a fully tuned Veyron.

Another example is the S2000, it's soo whimpy fully tuned for arguably Honda's greatest 4 cylinder of all time. Even stock with a supercharger it will do more on pump gas than in GT7. The S2000 engines and older K series Honda engines should make more power tuned than in the game, especially compared to the new Type R. Way more output potential in the older 4 port exhaust engines. I would like to see a K20A2 engine as a common swap in GT7, and make 800hp fully tuned, and that's for realism.

Last edited:
It would be nice for GT team to get a pulse on what's acceptable for a fully tuned engine from a tuner.

Windsor-351-Maverick makes way too much power fully tuned imo, more than a fully tuned Veyron. No way that's realistic, an OHV motor from half a century ago vs. a contemporary budgetless VW group build with more displacement. I would say the Bolide power output is the minimum we should see in the game for a fully tuned Veyron.

Another example is the S2000, it's soo whimpy fully tuned for arguably Honda's greatest 4 cylinder of all time. Even stock with a supercharger it will do more on pump gas than in GT7. The S2000 engines and older K series Honda engines should make more power tuned than in the game, especially compared to the new Type R. Way more output potential in the older 4 port exhaust engines. I would like to see a K20A2 engine as a common swap in GT7, and make 800hp fully tuned, and that's for realism.
Wait until you find out that the real life GAC Maverick uses a tuned 351W pumping out 1,200hp. What you can do in GT7 with that engine seems realistic enough to me given what it’s capable of and does in real life. Meanwhile, last I knew the Mansory built Bugatti Veyron was the most powerful Veyron with 1,111hp. Though that was awhile back, maybe someone somewhere has built one with even more power, but I don’t think the tuning industry or custom shops have much in terms of building up a W16 like they do a 351W V8.

I always forget the regular S2000 is in game. :lol:

With some of the left field swaps PD tends to throw out there, I'm surprised there isn't a RB26, or a 2JZ swap for it yet. K20 makes sense, but it doesn't seem "PD" enough imo.

I always forget the regular S2000 is in game. :lol:

With some of the left field swaps PD tends to throw out there, I'm surprised there isn't a RB26, or a 2JZ swap for it yet. K20 makes sense, but it doesn't seem "PD" enough imo.
I was planning on doing an LS7 swap in mine for a while, then decided it would cost just as much as a C7 Z06 brand new, to do it right that is. So I went with the C7 Z. But the LS7 fits so nice in there, and still an FMR platform. The straight six's would not clear the subframe.

Wait until you find out that the real life GAC Maverick uses a tuned 351W pumping out 1,200hp. What you can do in GT7 with that engine seems realistic enough to me given what it’s capable of and does in real life. Meanwhile, last I knew the Mansory built Bugatti Veyron was the most powerful Veyron with 1,111hp. Though that was awhile back, maybe someone somewhere has built one with even more power, but I don’t think the tuning industry or custom shops have much in terms of building up a W16 like they do a 351W V8.
I'm not talking about stock. I'm thinking about fully tuned, as in the full potential of the engine. Custom turbos and C16 tune will probably easily let 1,600hp out of a Veyron engine. It's obviously a rare expensive car, so we don't see much aftermarket but in the simulation world of GT7 those guys in hats should be able to do it hehe.

But if we were to discuss stock, I really doubt the GAC Maverick would survive a track day. I think I would break it down in the first 20 minute session, especially if you put it on slicks. The Veyron meanwhile, I doubt can break in a track day, no matter how you drive it.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about stock. I'm thinking about fully tuned, as in the full potential of the engine. Custom turbos and C16 tune will probably easily let 1,600hp out of a Veyron engine. It's obviously a rare expensive car, so we don't see much aftermarket but in the simulation world of GT7 those guys in hats should be able to do it hehe.

But if we were to discuss stock, I really doubt the GAC Maverick would survive a track day. I think I would break it down in the first 20 minute session, especially if you put it on slicks. The Veyron meanwhile, I doubt can break in a track day, no matter how you drive it.
Neither am I, neither of those engines I mentioned are stock. The GAC Maverick engine is a highly modified 351W, definitely not anywhere close to stock. The Mansory Veyron also got some customization and tuning done to it. The Veyron comes from the factory with 1,001 horsepower, Mansory got it up to 1,111. No idea what the actual full potential of the W16 is, but also not sure what the full potential of the 351W is either. The full potential really all depends on the quality of the parts used and how well everything is machined and balanced etc. You can have a 500hp V6 easily outlast a 500hp V8. Size or number of cylinders doesn’t always mean more power or better capable of handling more power.
In the simulation world they could do anything. They could make an 50,000hp 3 cylinder. Why stop at 1,600hp for a Veyron?

You can doubt all you want, but the GAC Maverick was built to be used, and has been, and has survived its use. Meanwhile the Veyron’s typically get very little use because of how astronomically expensive it is just for routine maintenance on them.

I understand your thought process, but that doesn’t mean it’s right, because it’s not.

The opposite is probably true.

Last edited:

I agree about the Honda. Disagree about the Windsor. The custom engine builders know their craft.

So what did everyone get in the 6 star ticket?
Got me yet another SC430!
Can’t remember which one, but it was one of the Ford engines. I already have all potential swaps except the new C4 Corvette so I‘m saving it for the next update hoping I get one I’ll need for one of the new swaps in the future.

Honestly, I'd take this engine for reliability on a track day over anything with the Bugatti name on it.

The power numbers for that engine are more than realistic and reliable enough to run a 20 minute session. Your biggest challenge is going to be heat extraction.

I just performed an engine swap on my RX7 (FD) '02 but I feel I should clearly improve the basic setup.
Is anybody have and could share a good setup to improve the adherence and up shifting ?
I m searching it to enjoy a race like hypercar parad (I m not interested for drift).
The goal is really to improve the car performance with this new engine :)
Yes. I win the 1 hour Spa race with it consistently. If I remember, I'll post it this evening.
The 26 has a very narrow power curve but it doesn't extend to red line. 5th gear on the Kimmel or the Mulsanne should not red line this engine. Also with the car, down force is paramount, max it and slope the car downwards with some additional clearance in the front. You also need to soften the rear suspension to give the back end somewhere to go under the down force you have.
MT, TCS, and ABS are a must.

Totally agree.....Getting well north of 1000+ HP out of a Windsor based SBF isn't anything new. The streets are littered with fox-body mustang running similar setups. This engine in game as you said is a fully built race engine. It's a stroker 351 Windsor that's actually 427 cubic inches of displacement. It's technically a small block V8 but displaces more in the realm that is seen with big block V8's. 1400 Hp is more than obtainable with a twin-turbo'd 427.

Last edited:
Totally agree.....Getting well north of 1000+ HP out of a Windsor based SBF isn't anything new. The streets are littered with fox-body mustang running similar setups. This engine in game as you said is a fully built race engine. It's a stroked out 351 Windsor that's actually 427 cubic inches of displacement. It's technically a small block V8 but displaces more in the realm that is seen with big block V8's. 1400 Hp is more than obtainable with a twin-turbo'd 427.

The scary thing is, that's a relatively tame build too.

A while back they were offering 2200hp SBF and SBCs...

I agree about the Honda. Disagree about the Windsor. The custom engine builders know their craft.
I've seen 4 Piston Racing engines have low compression out of the box, and they build race engines by the dozen. Custom builders hardly do any engine testing compared to OEMs. It's a lot of this worked before, so we'll use it again. It's not the billions of dollars OEMs spend. They don't have the money for it, the machinery, or the staff. The benefits are that they don't have to meet emissions, longevity tests, but don't mistake that for raceability. Most will fail if driven in race conditions really quickly if not in the first minutes, certainly within a few race hours. The only parties that beat OEMs in terms of engineering might, are either suppliers to OEMs, their racing arms, or specialty shops that build for their racing arms like Cosworth or Ilmor.
Neither am I, neither of those engines I mentioned are stock. The GAC Maverick engine is a highly modified 351W, definitely not anywhere close to stock. The Mansory Veyron also got some customization and tuning done to it. The Veyron comes from the factory with 1,001 horsepower, Mansory got it up to 1,111. No idea what the actual full potential of the W16 is, but also not sure what the full potential of the 351W is either. The full potential really all depends on the quality of the parts used and how well everything is machined and balanced etc. You can have a 500hp V6 easily outlast a 500hp V8. Size or number of cylinders doesn’t always mean more power or better capable of handling more power.
In the simulation world they could do anything. They could make an 50,000hp 3 cylinder. Why stop at 1,600hp for a Veyron?

You can doubt all you want, but the GAC Maverick was built to be used, and has been, and has survived its use. Meanwhile the Veyron’s typically get very little use because of how astronomically expensive it is just for routine maintenance on them.

I understand your thought process, but that doesn’t mean it’s right, because it’s not.
I think we should define stock, as there can be many ways. Stock here as I mean it, is before it is modified in GT7.

GAC at 1,200hp is an engine that has survived autocross and a top speed run as far as we know. An 80s minivan will survive autocross and a top speed run.

I have some experience pushing pushrods/OHV on track, this particular one is probably only good for a test session or two. You want a stock LS3, LT1, L2 with dry sump to survive many hours in race conditions. Max power peak potential can be 2,000hp on a dyno session for either engine we're debating here, before failure. But we race in GT7 and those conditions are tough, think of the time on throttle at LeMans for 1 hour, the heat generated, the lateral G, and all associated parts that can fail such as a header getting a crack. A 3,600lb car on slicks with a 1,200 Windsor is not a recipe that will survive.

I do agree that good engineering can go a long way, and displacement on its own is not a good indicator. But the Veyron is built by the group that delivers the most raceable high strung OEM cars, whereas the Windsor is built the group who blows headgaskets on track on their high strung OEM cars.

Honestly, I'd take this engine for reliability on a track day over anything with the Bugatti name on it.

The power numbers for that engine are more than realistic and reliable enough to run a 20 minute session. Your biggest challenge is going to be heat extraction.
Its oiling system consists of an oil pan. That tells me everything I need to know about the raceability of that build.

Last edited:
Its oiling system consists of an oil pan. That tells me everything I need to know about the raceability of that build.

Pump the brakes on the all that theoretical knowledge...

A Wet sump can work just fine for long-term road course use.

For example, The Maserati GranTurismo Trofeo race cars are all wet sump. The Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE is wet sump, as is the ZL1. It's all about the oil pan design.

There are MANY grassroots endurance race cars that are factory wet sump engines that have zero troubles enduring multiple hours of fast lapping. From Saturns to VW, to BMW and Chevrolet.

Dry sump oiling isn't a requirement for a reliable oiling system. A well designed wet sump system can succeed just fine, at a FRACTION of the cost. Add a baffled or two to prevent sloshing, or even an accusump added in and there isn't any problem.

So what did everyone get in the 6 star ticket?
Got me yet another SC430!

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Pump the brakes on the all that theoretical knowledge...

A Wet sump can work just fine for long-term road course use.

For example, The Maserati GranTurismo Trofeo race cars are all wet sump. The Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE is wet sump, as is the ZL1. It's all about the oil pan design.

There are MANY grassroots endurance race cars that are factory wet sump engines that have zero troubles enduring multiple hours of fast lapping. From Saturns to VW, to BMW and Chevrolet.

Dry sump oiling isn't a requirement for a reliable oiling system. A well designed wet sump system can succeed just fine, at a FRACTION of the cost. Add a baffled or two to prevent sloshing, or even an accusump added in and there isn't any problem.
Theoretical? I'm literally running Honda's HPD baffled pan, Accusump, and an upgraded pump in race comps. It's absolute garbage compared to the dry sump Honda HPD built for the formula series. 100 psi to 35 psi swings in oil pressure compared to ruler flat oil pressure you can set and forget. I have to reduce aero load and run thick oil to save bearings. If you don't want to look at Honda's racing programs fine, look at their street cars. Civics run wet sump, the NSX runs dry sump.

Maserati GranTurismo Trofeo? What kind of racing do they do? Is it like rich 50 and over guys? The engine in that, a Ferrari F136, ends up dry sumped in better models that see more serious work, i.e. Ferrari 458.

Chevy? Same story, Camaros might get wet sump, but even entry level Corvettes now get dry sump.

If you race on narrow hard tires with little to no aero, or gingerly take turns you can get by with a wet sump. But at some point there is a critical failure moment, and that's why you see that progression to dry sump, not just in racing, but in OEM cars. The only reason you'd run wet over dry is because of cost, but at some point it becomes a need.

Theoretical? I'm literally running Honda's HPD baffled pan, Accusump, and an upgraded pump in race comps. It's absolute garbage compared to the dry sump Honda HPD built for the formula series. 100 psi to 35 psi swings in oil pressure compared to ruler flat oil pressure you can set and forget. I have to reduce aero load and run thick oil to save bearings. If you don't want to look at Honda's racing programs fine, look at their street cars. Civics run wet sump, the NSX runs dry sump.

Maserati GranTurismo Trofeo? What kind of racing do they do? Is it like rich 50 and over guys? The engine in that, a Ferrari F136, ends up dry sumped in better models that see more serious work, i.e. Ferrari 458.

Chevy? Same story, Camaros might get wet sump, but even entry level Corvettes now get dry sump.

If you race on narrow hard tires with little to no aero, or gingerly take turns you can get by with a wet sump. But at some point there is a critical failure moment, and that's why you see that progression to dry sump, not just in racing, but in OEM cars. The only reason you'd run wet over dry is because of cost, but at some point it becomes a need.

There is currently a Trofeo running in Trans Am GT class on pirelli race tires as a GT4 spec. Driver is Chris Coffee and is more than reliable.

Comically, the F136 started as a dry sump in the Quattroporte and then transitioned to wet sump due to oiling issues...

NRE also was the team responsible for developing the SSC Tuartara engine. Hardly a junk engine builder.

Also, judging a stock photo about a 42k dollar engine without looking into it is about the most "Judging a book by it's cover" definition I've seen this decade.

Either way, we are getting way off topic for what this thread was intended for.

There is currently a Trofeo running in Trans Am GT class on pirelli race tires as a GT4 spec. Driver is Chris Coffee and is more than reliable.

Comically, the F136 started as a dry sump in the Quattroporte and then transitioned to wet sump due to oiling issues...

NRE also was the team responsible for developing the SSC Tuartara engine. Hardly a junk engine builder.

Also, judging a stock photo about a 42k dollar engine without looking into it is about the most "Judging a book by it's cover" definition I've seen this decade.

Either way, we are getting way off topic for what this thread was intended for.
Trans Am is a great example. Entry level sub classes may run wet sump, but what does TA run? "One of the crew spins the dry sump to circulate the oil during car prep." https://motoiq.com/trans-am-racing-with-burtin-racing/3/

What does the top class run? 850hp engine that lasts 1,000 mils between rebuilds. https://gotransam.com/transam101/TA-Class/59343 Now slap two turbos on a pushrod and how long will it go? That's nearly 50% more output and the intricacies of forced induction added in.

I regularly compete on the same day as Trans AM, and post times better than the slower TA guys. The pack is not all that tight. The top 3 are usually really fast, but you can't say that about the whole field.

I'm not saying any of the 1,200 hp engines are crap, I was merely comparing them relatively to a Veyron powerplant in road racing.

The SSC Tuartara doesn't amount that much to me vs Veyron. If a Veyron does what it does with the reliability ovherhead of an R8, 911 GT3, or similar group car I think it's a milestone in the automotive history.

All that to say GT7 should have some specialist to dictate tunability of cars in the game. So we're not off topic really. I will say that there are few specialists I trust though, but anything is better than the stock hp* some factor GT7 using now.

My RX-7 build is on my YouTube channel. I'll drop a link in the tuning forum. Sorry it took me this long to publish. There are tunings for all five cars that use the 26B in that video.

Back