Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Sales Data Revealed in the UK and Japan

Sales data from Japan and the United Kingdom reveal that Gran Turismo 7 has so far outsold its predecessor, GT Sport, with approximately 235,000 copies sold between the two territories in both of the titles’ opening weeks...

Glad to see GT7 ding well and I guess we'll get a better idea of just how successful the title is the coming weeks when they deliver their fiscal year report as mentioned.

The majority of the sales also seem to be PS5 copies.

Personally I think it's all on Lotus. Today, the company simply does not have the same level of recognition as McLaren. Yet they demanded exactly that from Sony.

However, since GT is an enthusiast's game, you can't help but notice the absence of Lotus.
Is McLaren much more recognizable? To me, I'd say Lotus is more. Maybe being in North America makes a difference, I don't know

It also performed well in Spain

1. Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) - 20.200
2. Gran Turismo 7 (PS4) - 11.800
3. Triangle Strategy (Switch) - 9100
4. Leyendas Pokémon Arceus (Switch) - 6250
5. Elden Ring (PS4) - 4850
6. Elden Ring (PS5) - 4200
7. FIFA 22 (PS4)
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
9. Horizon Forbbiden West (PS4) - 1950
10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

Is McLaren much more recognizable? To me, I'd say Lotus is more. Maybe being in North America makes a difference, I don't know

When I started to watch F1, Team Lotus was already past its better days and the road car business was on the verge of bankruptcy with no real "dream car" like Lamborghini had with the Diablo. Yes, there was the Esprit... but that's F355 level, it's not as exclusive.

So I have a greater connection to McLaren, which made the best road car at the time and was a very competitive F1 team.

I'm not gonna question Lotus' history, importance and influence, but IMO they simply don't have the same presence as McLaren today. They've been making moves to change that, though.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's a good number of sales, but I'm convinced that the lack of consoles is and will be a problem for the game's sales. A curiosity, GT sport servers are still full of people playing daily races.

Today, the company simply does not have the same level of recognition as McLaren. Yet they demanded exactly that from Sony.
Yes and no

What they want is money they believe they are owed by Sony/PD, and that they believe Sony/PD stiffed them financially in comparison to another brand (that may be McLaren).

In terms of actual recognition of brand, well that depends on what period you are looking at, what division you are looking at and a whole number of other factors. For a lot of people Lotus were producing a range of highly recognisable, affordable and excellent roads (Elise, Exige, etc) , while at the same time McLaren had basically the history of the F1 and nothing else. It's important to remember that from 1998 to 2011 McLaren produced a grand total of zero road cars, and prior to that made a total of 106 cars all from variants of one model in a six year period.

Lotus has been making road cars for 74 years continuously, McLaren for 17 years in two phases, so depending on how old you are that recognition can be very different.

During my formative and early years in the industry McLaren made one road car, and excellent one, but one that was almost certainly unattainable. Lotus on the other hand made a lot of great cars, which were obtainable.

Last edited:
So, what are the micro transaction numbers?
This is what I wanted to know, but with sales figures like this - and the fawning fanbase so happy to have something resembling a traditional GT game after so long that they're drowning out all legitimate criticism of the F2P aspects - the chances of them removing the MT store or always-online requirement are zero.

It's been a fun ride, but I'm done - with both GT, and Sony as a whole.

Personally I think it's all on Lotus. Today, the company simply does not have the same level of recognition as McLaren. Yet they demanded exactly that from Sony.

However, since GT is an enthusiast's game, you can't help but notice the absence of Lotus.
i would say that the general public is going to care more to have lotus on a game than mclaren, mostly because lotus have built way more cars, also take into consideration that mclaren is all supercars and if you dont care about those youre ****ed

I don't know if it's a good number of sales, but I'm convinced that the lack of consoles is and will be a problem for the game's sales. A curiosity, GT sport servers are still full of people playing daily races.

With the current state of GT7's Sport Mode, it's entirely possible a lot of folks are playing both games side by side for their single and multiplayer needs.

Today, the company simply does not have the same level of recognition as McLaren.
I'd wager those not familiar with the Lotus name may scratch their heads when you say McLaren let alone know what cars they've produced, their racing history, etc. Alternatively, those that do would probably be familiar with Lotus.

Brand recognition among the masses with automakers like Ferrari and Lamborghini are a different story. Even non-car people typically know these.

So, what are the micro transaction numbers?
I suspect we'll know more in the fiscal report as mentioned in the article. .....the fiscal year ends this month so sometime in April probably.

MTXs are a long term strategy though to help support the game moving forward.
This is what I wanted to know, but with sales figures like this - and the fawning fanbase so happy to have something resembling a traditional GT game after so long that they're drowning out all legitimate criticism of the F2P aspects - the chances of them removing the MT store or always-online requirement are zero.

Something else to consider is that the positive reception of the game may have little to do with exaggerated adoration and more about a legitimate, honest acceptance of a game a lot of people happen to like. ....nothing to do with drowning out critical opinions on the inclusion of an MTX model in GT7. Not everyone is bothered by it as much as others if at all. If they were, it would be a different story.

Frankly, I don't know why you would have expected them to remove MTXs in either case. The inclusion of it in GT7 is not unexpected nor is their choice of an "in-game currency purchase" model unique.

Certainly, I'll get GT7 when I get a PS5. As a original PS4 owner I don't see the point in getting GT7 on the PS4.

:gtplanet::cheers:
I've heard this a lot, but as a PS4 owner I just want to chime in that if there never was a PS5 version I'd never know. It looks gorgeous on the PS4. One of, if not the prettiest PS4 game. Debatable, for sure - but it looks and runs smooth. Load times are probably the biggest difference, and if you play PS4 anyway, you'll be used to that. Plus it's only $10 extra if you get the digital

Or it could the simple fact that today's gamers are so used to micro transactions that they stopped caring and just enjoy the games. There is nowhere to go.

When I started to watch F1, Team Lotus was already past its better days and the road car business was on the verge of bankruptcy with no real "dream car" like Lamborghini had with the Diablo. Yes, there was the Esprit... but that's F355 level, it's not as exclusive.

So I have a greater connection to McLaren, which made the best road car at the time and was a very competitive F1 team.

I'm not gonna question Lotus' history, importance and influence, but IMO they simply don't have the same presence as McLaren today. They've been making moves to change that, though.
Like comparing Mercedes’ and Porsche.

Different type of cars

I've heard this a lot, but as a PS4 owner I just want to chime in that if there never was a PS5 version I'd never know. It looks gorgeous on the PS4. One of, if not the prettiest PS4 game. Debatable, for sure - but it looks and runs smooth. Load times are probably the biggest difference, and if you play PS4 anyway, you'll be used to that. Plus it's only $10 extra if you get the digital
If it's any consolation, the PS5 version's of GT7 fade in / fade out between world map icon areas, clunky press x after events, click 4 times here , go back 4 more times to buy parts for that car currently in event, is not ratchet and clank calibur. at all. but the gameplay and replays, is something magical, especially when there is sunlight , dawn, dusk and Kyoto Driving Park under the sun, oh my, move over SPA.

Last edited:
Back