Gran Turismo 7 - Season Pass implementation

• Thread starter Razamataz
  • 92 comments

Should Gran Turismo embrace a season pass model?

• Yes

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 192 94.1%

• Total voters
I don't think people are begging for DLC to be paid, as the end user I'd much prefer we got everything for free, but if we're discussing it objectively you have to accept that large quantaties of free DLC is unusual and rare and there's no guarentee we will get that with GT7. Free DLC is great, but paid DLC can be perfectly reasonable. Price it fairly for whatever it is, and consumers will buy it. But I'm not a fan of the season pass model.

I'm in the camp of I dont mind paying for DLC if it's something that required substantial development like new cars or tracks. I'd be wary of an open ended season pass that ends up being filled with extra scapes or drivers suits, helmets etc. I'd also be annoyed if paid dlc became available within the first year after release.

FH5 having dlc available before launch is just a cash grab imo. If it's ready now make it part of the game.

I don't think people are begging for DLC to be paid, as the end user I'd much prefer we got everything for free, but if we're discussing it objectively you have to accept that large quantaties of free DLC is unusual and rare and there's no guarentee we will get that with GT7. Free DLC is great, but paid DLC can be perfectly reasonable. Price it fairly for whatever it is, and consumers will buy it. But I'm not a fan of the season pass model.
The premise of this thread’s OP is basically; “Guys, you can without a doubt forget free DLC in GT7, so what do you wanna do? Do you want PD to implement the season pass model, or do you want to wait for GT8?”

This is what I’m questioning. Why is free DLC impossible when they’ve just shown in GT Sport that it can be done? Jumping to conclusions like OP did is crazy to me.

Last edited:
The premise of this thread’s OP is basically; “Guys, you can without a doubt forget free DLC in GT7, so what do you wanna do? Do you want PD to implement the season pass model, or do you want to wait for GT8?”

This is what I’m questioning. Why is free DLC impossible when they’ve just shown in GT Sport that it can be done? Jumping to conclusions like OP did is crazy to me.
The way I read it, the premise of this thread is a discussion around what our toughts are on PD implementing a season pass model. To objectively discuss that you have to assume the alternative of all DLC being free is off the table which the OP has done. Of course people would prefer it was all free, but is it objective to dismiss the original discussion point because everything being free is better?

Free DLC isn't impossible, as you've highlighted PD have proven they are willing to do it, as in the case of GT Sport. However it is also of note that PD did announce GT Sport would grow in size significantly following it's release (which it did) and it was one of the smallest GT games (content wise) at launch. You could argule many people purchased GT Sport on the back of that promise and that this was PD's intention. They haven't made that claim (yet at least) in relation to GT7.

The argument that they did it with GT Sport proves they can and are willing given the right circumstances, but it's no guarentee that they will do it for GT7. Afterall, the car pack for GT5 was paid DLC so they've done both in the past. We can all hope they'll keep it free again, but there's no guarentee either way.

If Sport Mode continues in GT7 as it's been so far, there's not going to be paid cars and tracks. PD wouldn't have a flagship online mode with a burgeoning eSports platform and then leave certain cars or tracks aside for people who pay for it. Aside from it being a catastrophically stupid idea in its own right, it doesn't seem like a thing PD would do based on their history of paid DLC.

Anyone who thinks a season pass for GT7 would be a good idea should be given their own console and game to stop ruining what's left of video games for the rest of us.

Most ridiculous thing to ask to be "implemented" in a game.

Screw whatever the OP stated. Pay to get cars? Pay to get content that was supposed to be on the game since day 1?

NO!!! BIG NO!!!

It's confirmed we are going to have 420 (very high quality) cars in the game at launch alongside a plethora of tracks, most of which are already in GT Sport.
Hopefully PD sticks with what they did in GT Sport... Keep adding 4-5 cars per month for a big period of time. As well as tracks (hopefully real life tracks).

GT4 had over individual 600 cars (not counting "dupes") and an insanely gigantic career mode. No reason GT7 with all these years (they are working on it ever since the release of the PS4 ffs) can't pull off the same. 70€ for the game is already going to be enough.

People fail to realize that Sony has massively profited from every Gran Turismo game so far... Make the fanbase happy and they will keep buying from you. That's how all companies have to think, with ofc, a margin of profit but not being overly greedy in which PD isn't, like EA and Ubisoft.

I don't mind paid dlc depending on the value of content given the price, but I'm kind'a over the whole season pass structure. I see so many games releasing now with future content packs that more than double the price of the base game, but of course you know you're not getting that much extra game for the price.

I feel like it's too easy for a developer to stop and pick out what they want to keep for a later dlc cash grab. I appreciate it more when a game is out for a longer period of time before paid dlc is released in a big pack with no prior knowledge months in advance.
I’ve never met a pro-consumer salesman in my life. Their job is to do one thing and one
My first job was as a salesman at a shopping mall kiosk selling little cheap RC helicopters. At first they were all foam bodies and had a pretty good balance. But a couple months in the owner started pulling in these hardshell bodied choppers. They flew like crap and would break easily but shoppers liked the way they looked. I would tell them that the foam ones are the ones they should buy, but they would always opt for the hard plastic crap. This was a problem in that they would come back with broken choppers but we had a strict no return policy, and my boss saw how well they were selling so he started phasing out the foam ones against the pleas of myself and my coworker. Sorry for the short rant. Your comment just reminded me of the pains of a caring salesman. :lol::(

Most ridiculous thing to ask to be "implemented" in a game.

Screw whatever the OP stated. Pay to get cars? Pay to get content that was supposed to be on the game since day 1?

NO!!! BIG NO!!!

It's confirmed we are going to have 420 (very high quality) cars in the game at launch alongside a plethora of tracks, most of which are already in GT Sport.
Hopefully PD sticks with what they did in GT Sport... Keep adding 4-5 cars per month for a big period of time. As well as tracks (hopefully real life tracks).

GT4 had over individual 600 cars (not counting "dupes") and an insanely gigantic career mode. No reason GT7 with all these years (they are working on it ever since the release of the PS4 ffs) can't pull off the same. 70€ for the game is already going to be enough.

People fail to realize that Sony has massively profited from every Gran Turismo game so far... Make the fanbase happy and they will keep buying from you. That's how all companies have to think, with ofc, a margin of profit but not being overly greedy in which PD isn't, like EA and Ubisoft.
Did you even read the original post? You understand why you received all of that content for free in the first place? Folks who bought GT Sport at launch received a threadbare game that deservedly received mixed reviews at the time. I was hugely disappointed with the vanilla title and for a moment thought I was done with Gran Turismo. A great simulator, but a terrible game.

To charge for DLC at that point would have been criminal. Within a year we finally had a game that could be considered complete thanks to an aggressive DLC campaign. In time GT League become fully fleshed out with a respectable vehicle roster and impressive track count. Fans who wanted a more traditional Gran Turismo were treated to a campaign that vaguely resembled past iterations (without Championships of course).

GT7 on the other hand should be a feature complete game thanks to a huge library of assets to work with. Polyphony have had plenty of time to create a game that shouldn't require a DLC program at all. At launch it should be finished, no excuses. So where's the incentive for Polyphony to keep adding DLC free of charge? Let me be clear, my proposal for a season pass was to push the developer in providing additional support to a title that should be feature complete at launch. Deliberate holding back content however I throughly disagree with. DLC in my eyes should extend the life of a game, not serve as a means to catch up on an unfinished product.

A season pass done right can provide huge value of money. I've gotten at least 50 hours apiece for those issued with Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Destiny 2 over the last year. I was more than happy to pay £15 approx to each developer for the privilege of additional content. Content developed long after the vanilla titles had gone gold featuring already significant playtime. One area of opportunity as I've stated is perhaps a means of providing free access to $20 million unicorn vehicles. I lead a busy life, I do not have hours upon hours to grind away on the same boring race for the privilege of driving a Ferrari 250 GTO. Otherwise what is the point of even modelling it in the first place if such a tiny percentage of the player base are only getting chance to drive it? Seasonally exotics in Destiny 2 are available day 1 to season pass holders, eliminating the need for a grind. It's a good system if you ask me.

Polyphony are in an awkward position here. They've established a precedent with GT Sport, as evident by the survey, that fans expect all future content for free. They're damned if the do (charge) and damned if they don't (release any more content).

I'm stunned by how many people expect something for nothing. Probably the same kind of people who never tip in restaurants I imagine. If a developer has earned your appreciation then show some gratitude and don't be cheap.

I like the current micro-transaction mode in GTS.
(all players can get free updates, and some of them can additionally "support" PD)

Last edited:
Pay to get content that was supposed to be on the game since day 1?
Supposed to be says who? Holding back finished content to sell afterwards is absolutely a complete load of poop, and does happen a lot in gaming, but when that isn't the case, I have no issue with paying. In terms of a racing game I essentially see it as an option to pay a premium to get content that will be in the next game early. Back in the day if PD made some cars 6 months after release, we'd have to wait 2-3 years to use them. Now we have an option of getting them as soon as they're done.

Free DLC is great. Fantastic. Nobody outright wants to pay given the choice, but we have to be realistic. Not much is truly free in this world. Paid DLC, at a reasonable price representing good value with brand new content, that's a good part of gaming today if you ask me.

Also let's be absolutely clear, PD have done some awful paid DLC over the years. One-use paint chips in GT5 were absurd and to this day I can't fathom what you're paying for with the Lewis Hamilton time trial DLC, something you already have all the tools to do without it, just no fancy menus and rewards. That sort of stuff I absolutely do not support, and didn't buy.

A neutral option would've been very appreciated, as that's where I currently fall.

While I don't think GT7 needs a season pass by any means, I likely wouldn't be bothered if one was implemented, though it would very much depend on the content and how the game as a whole is effected. While GT Sports' free DLC support during its lifecycle was very cool to see, the fact of the matter is that it costs money and resources to license the content (where applicable), build it, program it to work in the game, and make it available to the masses. It also hasn't been confirmed if PD'll continue the same DLC model as GT Sport for GT7. For me, if the content on offer is good and it's for something I enjoy using, I personally don't see the harm in throwing a few bucks out to support the people who make the product I like. Also, PD has done paid DLC in the past. GT5 had several pieces of paid DLC, and GT Sport also had paid DLC in the form of the Lewis Hamilton Challenge, so the notion of PD putting out paid DLC is by no means unheard of, or new for that matter.

Where paid DLC becomes a problem is when the DLC splinters the playerbase. The map pack/season pass model in older CoD/Battlefield games comes to mind, as it would split the playerbase between people who have no map packs, some of the map packs, and all of the map packs. In the case of GT7, that could be things like tracks, content required for specific events or races, Pay2Win cars, etc.

Of course, it also pays to voice your opinion with your wallet (pardon the pun). If you don't like a DLC (or game, movie, etc.), you shouldn't buy by any means. However, that doesn't give you the right to chasitse other people for spending money in a way they want, something the gaming community as a whole still seems to struggle with.

I don't think people are begging for DLC to be paid, as the end user I'd much prefer we got everything for free, but if we're discussing it objectively you have to accept that large quantities of free DLC is unusual and rare and there's no guarantee we will get that with GT7. Free DLC is great, but paid DLC can be perfectly reasonable. Price it fairly for whatever it is, and consumers will buy it. But I'm not a fan of the season pass model.
Agreed. I'm hoping that GT7 will do something very similar to GTS, where all the cars/tracks are free, but with an option to buy some cars with real-world money if you can't be bothered to get the credits for them, as well as exclusive paid DLC that features special challenges and/or modes.

I could see something like the Sierra Time Rally - including the circuit itself - being paid DLC, if it were to return in GT7's DLC plan. Heck, I wouldn't even mind a new Lewis Hamilton Challenge, either, especially with some of the neat new Mercedes-Benz models we've seen revealed so far, like the AMG GT R, or the 300SL W194. That said, I'd hope it's easier to complete than in GT Sport, haha! (I have all golds and a few diamonds, but getting all diamonds seems impossible even for me!)

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm hoping that GT7 will do something very similar to GTS, where all the cars/tracks are free, but with an option to buy some cars with real-world money if you can't be bothered to get the credits for them, as well as exclusive paid DLC that features special challenges and/or modes.

I could see something like the Sierra Time Rally - including the circuit itself - being paid DLC, if it were to return in GT7's DLC plan. Heck, I wouldn't even mind a new Lewis Hamilton Challenge, either, especially with some of the neat new Mercedes-Benz models we've seen revealed so far, like the AMG GT R, or the 300SL W194. That said, I'd hope it's easier to complete than in GT Sport, haha! (I have all golds and a few diamonds, but getting all diamonds seems impossible even for me!)
Sierra Time Valley, hands down the best bit of DLC GT ever released. Damn I’d wish they’d bring it back.

Reaction GIF by The Weather Channel

Honestly, Gran Turismo is a long life, live service game. PD's long time focus on quality of the user experience and visuals of the game make it a perfect candidate for this, given how long it takes just to make the damn things. GT5 basically laid the framework that other franchises follow now for longevity with its constant updates over several years instead of annual or biannual releases. It just lacked a season pass, opting instead for a weird mix of sometimes free, sometimes paid DLC.

I hate microtransactions and the precendent they set for the game industry in general as much as anyone. But the culture is a lot different now, and I think games are going to start to monetize themselves more via things like season passes, as opposed to yearly releases. I will always love GT for its preference of free content updates, but the result of this was a very slow drip of content in terms of cars and tracks for an otherwise best in class user experience and game engine that wasn't in need of yearly revisions. I also trust PD strongly to get this right in terms of bang for your buck, compared to some other developers and publishers out there that need not be named.

A season pass of sorts is probably the best way to do this, in addition to the frequent updates to events every few days/weeks they have been doing for a while now. That way we won't have to wait 6 more years for GT8 to get the cars and tracks we hoped for, because now (hopefully) the developers will have the money to keep the lights on to get them out in time.

Last edited:
I think paid DLC will be okay for new single player modes, and special cars. When it comes to the tracks as well as the cars that would see use in sport mode, they need to be free dlc because otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the tracks in sport mode, and some people would potentially be advantaged by having access to cars others do not. PD I think understands the need for a level playing field online, atleast in sport mode.

With how Jim Ryan is running PlayStation, I'd be surprised if PD aren't forced to charge for updates and they allow buying of vehicles for real money...

I just don't see Sony letting us get free updates when they say they have "10 GaaS games" and could possibly be counting GT7 as one of them. They now want to make money from GaaS.. so I'm a bit skeptical of people thinking we'll get free updates like GT Sport.

i will say ... BOTH...

if someone like me buy the Full Version of Game, he dont have to use a "GamePass/SeassionPass" to play this Game and get DLC´s, but if someone DON`t want to buy the Full Version of that Game he can play it on an "GamePass/SeassionPass" and pay Money for DLC´s if he wants it.

So thats a Chance for Both kind of Gamer. Some like me that only play ONE Game but this a long Time, an "the other" who play multible Games for short Time.

i DON’t know What it is You are trying to Say.
I want to say that I zb. I basically only play GT, for me a "game or season pass" doesn't make sense where I have access to many games but have to pay for them every month.
I'd rather buy a full version of the game and don't want to spend anything extra. However, I would also make this game accessible via "Game or Season Pass" for players who do not want to buy the full version. These players then have to pay every month where they want to play and also for any additional content.

In my opinion, that would be a very fair solution for both "groups" of players.

GT7 Season passes mean that PD would need to stick to strict timetables and would need to release as advertised. I dont think that would end well for them or Sony lol.

Their current free update model works perfectly for everyone alot of people.

Last edited:
My issue with season passes is you have a set time to get everything and I don't always have the time to unlock everything and then its locked for good. (This is based on warzone by the way as I don't have any other experience with season passes)

Plus PD are fantastic at supporting their games for years with updates, cars and tracks free of charge, dont fix what isn't broken ;)

Plus PD are fantastic at supporting their games for years with updates, cars and tracks free of charge, dont fix what isn't broken ;)
They are, but it's also because their games in the online era have had issues at launch that necessitated significant support so that the customer base didn't feel like they'd been given the bait and switch.

I'd suggest that Polyphony haven't put out a game that felt complete at release since GT4. Free tracks and cars are nice and appreciated, but the quality of the game that you're adding onto comes into the equation as well. It's only recently that Hello Games has started to get props for it's continued free work on No Man's Sky because the game was such a garbage fire to start with that the customers were frankly owed a solid amount of support.

To be fair to Polyphony GTS has been the best of the bunch at release, but the low amount of content and lack of significant single player meant that a lot of people felt short changed.

Also a lack of understanding for players. The game was essentially a GT3 & GT4 series game. (Other than Prototypes)Some road and concept cars thrown in, to break up the "racing" in race cars feel.

My issue with season passes is you have a set time to get everything and I don't always have the time to unlock everything and then its locked for good. (This is based on warzone by the way as I don't have any other experience with season passes)

This is a whole different meaning of season pass of course. In most games, it's just a way to buy all future DLC's upfront. That's what being discussed here. You can unlock it any time you want it.

This is a whole different meaning of season pass of course. In most games, it's just a way to buy all future DLC's upfront. That's what being discussed here. You can unlock it any time you want it.
My bad, shows how much I know lol

No to Season Pass, there are enough of them in every other game out there that I struggle to compjlete within the required timescales to get all the content so it's not something I think should be added to the Gran Turismo series.

The only way a Season Pass would work is if it were to be on the basis of likes of Call of Duty where people in the creation community made and offerred content for the season pass which the rest of us could use in our games there after.

My counter suggestion would be using the Forza model so make us a 4 weekly seasonal set of events with rewards on offer (cars in game/race paint/suits etc) from the games car collection. That would at least give me the play each week prespective and be managable alongside everything else in my gaming life.

Back