Gran Turismo 7 Track Conditions

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 49 comments

Noticed the shadow from the Dunlop structure hasn't changed since the start of the clip. The clouds form and move. Track conditions change. Wind picks up and dies down. When the sun shines again, shadow hasn't moved.

Could be that time and weather are separate settings perhaps, so for the sake of demoing the weather they just had weather changing but no time.

Hopefully will have more control of the weather than just randomness, something like we had with the course settings in GT6 would be good, but better would be weather slots, that would allow you to start the race out in any condition you like, maybe start out partially cloudy, cloudy, rain then sunny or maybe no rain.

GT6_Course Settings Menu.jpg

I can see that the track surface is affected by the cars passing over it. You can see tyre trails left in the wet surface and then they fade out. For the drying surface, the track dries where the cars have just passed over, fading into a drier look at the same rate as the wet trails faded out.

This implies some kind of local "map" (i.e. a texture) that stores the level of water across the track surface. Puddles are specifically mentioned. From there it is exceptionally trivial to have it affect the physics.

It's therefore simply a question of whether it is desired and part of the development spec, but options are always best.

The static shadow might be a nod to concessions made for compatibility with the PS4 - the dynamic shadows were always the barrier to dynamic time of day in previous games.

The only game I've ever seen snow effects in is 1998 Sega Rally and the Stratos blazed right through it. I'm more into non car racing games with things like the ramp effect from Hydro Thunder and lava effects from extreme-G.
It's in other games, I just haven't played them yet.

I suppose rain as well? Thanks.
Yes, depends on the track if it supports rain and how many random slots it gives you.

You do a short race with 2 laps, and it gives you 1 random weather slot.. it could start sunny and stay that way till the end. You do enough laps and it gives you two slots.. you'll have a higher chance to get rain but it could go from sunny to cloudy.

1 random slot wont go from rain to sunny to cloudy and back to rain. Im guessing the slots are distance based.

I can see that the track surface is affected by the cars passing over it. You can see tyre trails left in the wet surface and then they fade out. For the drying surface, the track dries where the cars have just passed over, fading into a drier look at the same rate as the wet trails faded out.

This implies some kind of local "map" (i.e. a texture) that stores the level of water across the track surface. Puddles are specifically mentioned. From there it is exceptionally trivial to have it affect the physics.

It's therefore simply a question of whether it is desired and part of the development spec, but options are always best.

The static shadow might be a nod to concessions made for compatibility with the PS4 - the dynamic shadows were always the barrier to dynamic time of day in previous games.
The track doesn't dry where cars drive, it dries on the AI racing line.

The track doesn't dry where cars drive, it dries on the AI racing line.

I guess the cars were more or less following the AI line and the drying effect was suitably "wide" enough to appear to be affected by the small deviations from the AI line seen. In fact the dry line is very wide anyway, just not in the right place in that case.

How convienient that the stupid vertical format video doesn't include the actual track-wetness gauge.
The track-wetness gauge is an average of the wetness of the track under your tires, not overall, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. If you drive on the dry line it will be low, if you drive in the wet it will be high.

Last edited:
The track-wetness gauge is an average of the wetness of the track under your tires, not overall, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. If you drive on the dry line it will be low, if you drive in the wet it will be high.
That is exactly what I'm complaining about. The video only demonstrates that the visual dry line is pre-programmed, not that the actual dry line is, which would be demonstrated by showing the track-wetness gauge as the car passes from the dry line to the wetter areas.

Also, vertical format videos are for children.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I'm complaining about. The video only demonstrates that the visual dry line is pre-programmed, not that the actual dry line is, which would be demonstrated by showing the track-wetness gauge as the car passes from the dry line to the wetter areas.

Also, vertical format videos are for children.
Ok. You can easily verify that the "actual dry line" is right where the "visual dry line" is by driving a race.

I swear, in VR, certain rain in this game, fall like snow.
1689244430150.jpeg

The sound effect is rain, but the way it falls and the shape of the drops, are more like snow. All that’s missing is accumulation.

Back