Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.46 Will Add the Skoda Vision GT, Sony's Afeela, & a Classic Chevelle

• Thread starter Famine
  • 301 comments
I’m late to the party on the Afeela, but wow it’s more akin to a phone than a car, so much entertainment packed in there! It has PS5 remote play, movies, augmented reality modes, interior themes, 360 audio with vibrating seats.. I can only hope PD does something exciting with the driving experience.

Also I find it cool how they are able to release a car from the past, present and the “future” I’m excited to give each vehicle plenty of seat time in VR! One more sleep 😆

Afeela is underwhelming in VR. drives ok but nothing much going on inside. doesn't have a horn either.
but i enjoy the Skoda, feels like and looks a bit like a batmobile. didnt notice the overlay that's barely visible on the top screen for 4 laps.

Outside of the "cops and robbers" (which will likely never come to GT series) and a track, the car 3 car thing is something they are already doing, it isn't unfeasible to keep the same number but divert the monthly picks to fit into race/road/classic categories.

Personally, I would've done the three cars per month as race car (modern or classic), road car (modern or classic) and a returning car (modern or classic) from GT games prior. The VGT/Marketing car(s) would be added extras.
I have never done cops and robbers so can't really comment, if or not they can do anything. I just know people play it.

As for your three car choice structure, that's fine by me and not to dissimilar from my structure of an update, Just takes a little planning and forward thinking on PDs part.

GT can be a game for all players, with a little bit of planning. there still will be complaints over a particular car or track, we all have our wish lists, Why this isn't the case is a different argument and I have my opinion on why and I don’t think it would be a popular view with some

You think they can do that every month? How so? Im trying to get you a job at PD.
They do 3 cars a month, as it is upto 6 is the amount they are supposedly capable off according to Kaz, the rest is planning,, you set your target, and you build a schedule, then you implement it, Team 1 this is your car list for the next however, team two this is yours, team 3 this is yours

Stoked to see San Diego will now be in curated scapes. Can’t wait to see the locations they chose 😎
I've had a look, and it did not gave me any incentive to visit that place ever, it feels bland.

Skoda VGT looks very competitive. Tried the new VGT event, it was way in front of every other car and I feared for a moment to not be able to catch it. In the end it finished 2nd, 5s behind me and more than 20s in front of 3rd.

Since update day is all about complaining about things that don't affect you and are probably unrelated:

7. Controller
 - Added support for the following racing wheel controller.
  ・FANATEC® Gran Turismo DD Extreme

The button settings can be configured from 'Options' > 'Controllers' > 'Fanatec® GT DD Pro / Extreme.'

It's a shame PD waste resources on things so few in the player base will use, a input smoothing slider for pad would've improved the game for far more players.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.46 Now Available, With Three New Cars, New Extra Menu, & New Engine Swaps

Gran Turismo 7’s Update 1.46 is now available, bringing two entirely new brands to the series as we revealed earlier in the week...
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego - which of course in German means 'a whale's vagina'."

I couldn't help it. Sorry.

They do 3 cars a month, as it is upto 6 is the amount they are supposedly capable off according to Kaz, the rest is planning,, you set your target, and you build a schedule, then you implement it, Team 1 this is your car list for the next however, team two this is yours, team 3 this is yours
You're mixing up capacity with productivity. Yamauchi said that the modelling team can make 60 cars a year (which is five per month, not six), but it should be fairly obvious that if there's not 60 cars in the pipeline for modelling then they can't produce 60.

Again, it's licensing that's the key here.

Since update day is all about complaining about things that don't affect you and are probably unrelated:

It's a shame PD waste resources on things so few in the player base will use, a input smoothing slider for pad would've improved the game for far more players.
A shame, a waste of resources. Fanatec paid PD to support this wheel, and still needs to incorporate full force and itm. Hand held controller players can just wait, until we get what we paid for.

A shame, a waste of resources. Fanatec paid PD to support this wheel, and still needs to incorporate full force and itm. Hand held controller players can just wait, until we get what we paid for.
Is that (Fanatec paying PD) speculation? I was under the impression they were rather low on funds at the moment.

It's a shame for the people not playing on third party hardware that the car handling is less enjoyable than it was on the old game because of artificial smoothing.

Payouts for the new races seem pretty bad but the Afeela being free, San Diego scapes and the C1 and C2 getting engine swaps are all good news for me.

Oh and a free 6 star roulette ticket from owning all the Ferraris listed, nice. Although the article erroneously mentions the Testarossa is in the Legends Dealership when it's actually in the UCD.

Last edited:
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego - which of course in German means 'a whale's vagina'."

I couldn't help it. Sorry.

You're mixing up capacity with productivity. Yamauchi said that the modelling team can make 60 cars a year (which is five per month, not six), but it should be fairly obvious that if there's not 60 cars in the pipeline for modelling then they can't produce 60.

Again, it's licensing that's the key here.
No mix up you "up to 6 cars a month" I could have said potentially, but the meaning is the same,

Licensing is a glib excuse, though once true, certain OEMs where not keen on there brands been in games that time has ling gone, the fact other games have other models and makes in there games, is pretty much concrete proof, The reason Lotus is not in. is PD where paying Lotus substantial less for licensing and Lotus found out,.

So no licensing is not the key, Ask for an interview, put these questions to PD ask if you can speak to the model artists.

No mix up you "up to 6 cars a month" I could have said potentially, but the meaning is the same,
I'm not sure what this sentence means, but it's still five. Yamauchi said that the modelling team can do 60 cars a year. 60 divided by 12 is still five.

And that's their production capacity, not their production output. If they don't have 60 cars in the modelling pipeline, they can't model them. Isn't that obvious?

Any position of "well they're saving cars for the next game" requires the assumption that they are perpetually running at maximum capacity and just not adding the cars to the game, which is flawed even if you don't know anything about licensing.

Licensing is a glib excuse, though once true, certain OEMs where not keen on there brands been in games that time has ling gone, the fact other games have other models and makes in there games, is pretty much concrete proof,
No, not really. Licensing is literally the reason why some cars and tracks are in some games and not others.

Some want more money from different games because they perceive the value of being in different games differently. The difference in what, for example, EA paid for Silverstone in the F1 games (which I understand is indirectly sublicensed from F1 as a part of Silverstone's agreement with F1 for... being in F1; @PJTierney will know more but may not be able to say more) - or ACC (the same applies to the GTWC, and notice how in both ACC and F1 you can only use the specific licensed cars on the track) and what Silverstone wants from MS and Sony for their big-name sandbox titles is orders of magnitude. MS paid it, Sony won't.

Sometimes it's not even about money: Polestar was the cover car for NFS Heat because Polestar only wanted to be in a game where it was a significant presence. It (at least before COVID when I interviewed them about it) was not interested in just being a car in a huge car list, so won't licence to GT or FM/FH.

The reason Lotus is not in. is PD where paying Lotus substantial less for licensing and Lotus found out,.
Yeah, I was the person who broke that story, and you're over-simplifying it really quite heavily. And I have no idea where "substantial less" (sic) came from, because that was never a part of it. Having to rely on stuff that's made up is a clear sign of a weak argument.

Lotus determined that it was being paid less than another brand it considers to be of equal or lesser value for its presence in GT Sport - most likely because all the UK PRs meet regularly and populate each other's press offices on a big old merry-go-round of jobs, and keeping secrets from one another is impossible - and there's a solid chance that the diminishing contract (paying less year on year) plus the year's delay of GT Sport's launch reduced that figure further. We don't know what brand that was.

So no licensing is not the key
Your arguments are too flawed to draw that conclusion - but since the conclusion is also wrong it's immaterial.

Licensing is the start and end of it. No licence, no car. If they don't have five cars licensed, they can't give you five cars each and every month even if that's how many the modelling team can model.

Licensing is a glib excuse, though once true, certain OEMs where not keen on there brands been in games that time has ling gone, the fact other games have other models and makes in there games, is pretty much concrete proof, The reason Lotus is not in. is PD where paying Lotus substantial less for licensing and Lotus found out,.

So no licensing is not the key, Ask for an interview, put these questions to PD ask if you can speak to the model artists.
If PD are anything like most studios - the majority of staff will be working on GT8 - certainly 2+ years after GT7’s release.

For all we know the majority of cars on the datamined list (if we take that as representative of future DLC) could be at various stages of completion. With a dedicated staff allocated to complete these for monthly updates.

The leaked list falls into very specific categories, mostly classics and returning cars to the series. We’ve seen the odd all-new car as DLC, ie 911 RSR, Valkyrie, MC20. But I find it doubtful PD aren’t working on a significant number of new road and race cars - the latest Hypercars, GT500’s, GT3’s. Plus any number of 2020+ road models.

If you’re in the business of selling Gran Turismo it makes sense to save most of those cars for GT8.

I’d be amazed if the 3D modelling department at PD is not running at full capacity. Full-time staff are the biggest cost for any studio - if you aren’t using them - you’d see reduncies or a greater reliance on contractors.

These discussions always become rather circular and we won’t know for certain until GT8 hits the market. If GT8 comes with 50-100 new cars and half a dozen new tracks - that would suggest they’ve been stockpiling content.

These discussions always become rather circular and we won’t know for certain until GT8 hits the market. If GT8 comes with 50-100 new cars and half a dozen new tracks - that would suggest they’ve been stockpiling content.
Or you could look backwards.

Being super generous, between the final content update for GT Sport in July 2021 and the launch of GT7 in March 2022 - and let's call that 8 months to be extra-kind to the "stockpiling" argument - PD produced an additional 90 cars. That's 86 (424-338) plus four additional cars that make up for the four lost from GT Sport (Hamilton AMG VGT, Mercedes W08 & Color Variation, Fittipaldi EF7).

That is a rather improbable (given the 60 cars/year capacity statement) more than 11 cars a month, albeit that was produced in the busiest single period of content production in the run up to the launch of a new game.

However, the final car added to GT Sport was not part of a regular content update, but as a standalone. It - the Toyota GR86 - was launched in-game to coincide with the real launch of the real car, as what we presume was a special promotion with the longest-standing partner.

We have to look back much further - before the Toyota GR Yaris in November 2020, the Mazda RX-Vision GT3 in May 2020, and the Toyota GR Supra in April 2020 - to find the final regular content update of three cars in February 2020. As that was late-month, it was almost exactly two years before GT7 arrived.

That gives us a value, with PD modelling cars only for GT7 and not producing them for GT Sport any more, of... 3.75 cars a month.

Now... maybe PD really is holding back three quarters of a car each month from GT7 for GT8, but outstripping the current production rate by nine cars a year in the busy content production window for an all-new game makes the stockpiling argument seem... weaker than it already was.

A shame? We paid money for an officially supported/licensed product and the LEAST PD could do is support the thing. And the fact of the matter is that they've done a terrible job of supporting the DD Pro or the new Extreme wheel.

PD have made some people happy and the majority indifferent or unhappy. The statements that PD are holding back for GT8 are almost laughable. As Famine touched on with general math, PD are probably creating special launch content, but that is probably not much. GT7 is lacking considerable content, imo, in way of modern racecars and real tracks. Maybe if they added just a few more since launch. Licensing is absolutely the reason for that.
Some fixes with "quality of life " adjustments could make the game much better. Increase private lobbies and sport mode lobby sizes to 20 or more, Selling parts and engines, adding special paint colors to decal shapes, adding tire stickers to group 4 cars and Pirelli stickers to all GR cars.
Another thing with Gran Turismo 7 and Gran Turismo in general. Is that they add cars that are one offs and don't have any competition like the Honda RA Grand Prix car, the McLaren MP4/4, Lamborghini SUV, Audi DTM, and several others. Just disjointed in the way they add cars. VGTs they've added would be nice if they were added with GR spec version also.

I'm not sure what this sentence means, but it's still five. Yamauchi said that the modelling team can do 60 cars a year. 60 divided by 12 is still five.

5 9r 6 is still bigger than 3, From a business perspective it very unlikely they will be paying there highly talented model team to be inactive, If they can produce 5 models a m9nth, they will be otherwise there will be lay offs, we have just seen Sony drop the hatchet on a number of studio employees.
And that's their production capacity, not their production output. If they don't have 60 cars in the modelling pipeline, they can't model them. Isn't that obvious?
See above they are still paying them, not going to happen, would you pay a employee for months at a time, to do nothing, And contracts are not a Japanese way of working Unlike in the west.
Any position of "well they're saving cars for the next game" requires the assumption that they are perpetually running at maximum capacity and just not adding the cars to the game, which is flawed even if you don't know anything about licensing.
We don't you just ask them, ? Now you're assuming.
No, not really. Licensing is literally the reason why some cars and tracks are in some games and not others.

Some want more money from different games because they perceive the value of being in different games differently. The difference in what, for example, EA paid for Silverstone in the F1 games (which I understand is indirectly sublicensed from F1 as a part of Silverstone's agreement with F1 for... being in F1; @PJTierney will know more but may not be able to say more) - or ACC (the same applies to the GTWC, and notice how in both ACC and F1 you can only use the specific licensed cars on the track) and what Silverstone wants from MS and Sony for their big-name sandbox titles is orders of magnitude. MS paid it, Sony won't.
Your right here this is how this works, It's a part of the contract, Teams and tracks will give IPR as part of the requirements to be in F1, It's part if a collective licensing agreement, not unusual in sports. This does not say every promoter has the same pull as Liberty Media and a the like of SRO, and the nature of customer teams, means this is the same though out Racing. Nor is this likely to prelude exclusivity on the right to cars and tracks. The IPR will remain with the owner of it.
Sometimes it's not even about money: Polestar was the cover car for NFS Heat because Polestar only wanted to be in a game where it was a significant presence. It (at least before COVID when I interviewed them about it) was not interested in just being a car in a huge car list, so won't licence to GT or FM/FH.
That's true but it is about image as well, no amount of money Rockstar could offer would get an Major Manufacturer in GTA, or similar type of game, Polestar choose there game does not mean anything they picked the game, who they thought would have the biggest impact for them, doesn't mean Polestar will not entertain other games. Toyota are a partner of PD, Toyota are still put new models in other games.
Yeah, I was the person who broke that story, and you're over-simplifying it really quite heavily. And I have no idea where "substantial less" (sic) came from, because that was never a part of it. Having to rely on stuff that's made up is a clear sign of a weak argument.
Very good journalism but not where I got it from, I worked on the Carasoul ypu go on to mention within the UK car industry, at the time.
Lotus determined that it was being paid less than another brand it considers to be of equal or lesser value for its presence in GT Sport - most likely because all the UK PRs meet regularly and populate each other's press offices on a big old merry-go-round of jobs, and keeping secrets from one another is impossible - and there's a solid chance that the diminishing contract (paying less year on year) plus the year's delay of GT Sport's launch reduced that figure further. We don't know what brand that was.
This is not only true in the press office, its is in other roles aswell, Nor will that info come from the press office, it will come from the licensing team someone probably moved, each of the Major Manufacturers has a licensing team, not only do they deal with games, but the likes of Lego, Hot wheels, matchbox and so on, they have been established for years.
Your arguments are too flawed to draw that conclusion - but since the conclusion is also wrong it's immaterial.

Licensing is the start and end of it. No licence, no car. If they don't have five cars licensed, they can't give you five cars each and every month even if that's how many the modelling team can model.
Don't want to take my word on what I said that's fine, but if you wish to find out how it works and it would make a interesting piece, Approach a Studio, does not have to be PD, and ask if you could interview someone on this process of licensing.or approach a manufacturer and ask them BMW always seem keen to talk about it, Or both of the previously mentioned and do a series on it..

Then we will have a definitive answer.

The statements that PD are holding back for GT8 are almost laughable.
Oh it's 💯 laughable. It's a coping mechanism for them. We saw the same wish-casting before GT7 debuted, Sport users believed all things would be fixed when GT7 dropped. Not only did that not happen, the game went backwards in some ways lol. Now they believe their dreams will be full-filled with GT8. Maybe they will, but I doubt it lol. What I find agitating is that the wish-casters minimize legit grievances gamers have with the current game, grievances that have existed since GT Sport.

I really don’t mind the VGTs, and it’s always fun to see brands just pop out of the blue like this. But I’d especially hope that this Skoda VGT isn’t the sole Skoda we’ll ever get - those historic racers seemed interesting, too.

I’m also glad to see a classic Chevrolet that isn’t necessarily a Corvette/Camaro, though I’d love to see the C5 Corvette, as well as the third and fourth-gen Camaro models. (Not to mention some Callaway models, but that’s another matter.) That said, I’m totally down for the Chevelle, too. Now if only we could also see the return of the Nova SS and El Camino from GT6…

As for the Afeela, I could’ve sworn that they were gonna do something interesting with that - I think they mentioned some sort of preview? Or did they really mean letting people drive it in GT7 before it becomes available to drive IRL?

It does seem odd that the last three updates have only added a single Extra Menu instead of two, but maybe that’s because a lot more of the brands have been covered. That’d explain this latest theme, of Ferrari models specifically with a V12. Perhaps other, more “focused” Extra Menus could be in the works, like one focused on individual designers like Giugiaro, or coachbuilders like Pininfarina.

For new tracks, I’d expect anything on that front to be revealed sometime during the GTWS, but specifically after the online qualifiers. A live event seems like a great place to reveal more notable content additions. Who knows, maybe with how many players GT7 still has, we could even see a “Spec III” later this year.

Last edited:
5 9r 6 is still bigger than 3, From a business perspective it very unlikely they will be paying there highly talented model team to be inactive, If they can produce 5 models a m9nth, they will be otherwise there will be lay offs, we have just seen Sony drop the hatchet on a number of studio employees.

See above they are still paying them, not going to happen, would you pay a employee for months at a time, to do nothing, And contracts are not a Japanese way of working Unlike in the west.
They're not "paying them to be inactive". They're clearly paying them to make three models a month...

... and PD outsources modelling, so this idea they're permanent employees twiddling their thumbs for between 40-100% of the time is similarly suspect.

We don't you just ask them, ? Now you're assuming.
What does this mean?

If you're asking why I don't just ask them, I have. That's why I'm telling you the information I know. I don't know what you think I'm "assuming" - although given that it's in response to me pointing out that the stockpiling idea is an assumption it seems like a reflexive "no you" response.

Your right here this is how this works, It's a part of the contract, Teams and tracks will give IPR as part of the requirements to be in F1, It's part if a collective licensing agreement, not unusual in sports. This does not say every promoter has the same pull as Liberty Media and a the like of SRO, and the nature of customer teams, means this is the same though out Racing. Nor is this likely to prelude exclusivity on the right to cars and tracks. The IPR will remain with the owner of it.

That's true but it is about image as well, no amount of money Rockstar could offer would get an Major Manufacturer in GTA, or similar type of game, Polestar choose there game does not mean anything they picked the game, who they thought would have the biggest impact for them, doesn't mean Polestar will not entertain other games. Toyota are a partner of PD, Toyota are still put new models in other games.
Amazing that you agree that I'm actually right about licensing... I don't really know what the disconnect is here though.

I'm not sure why you're trying to infer exclusive licensing at the end there though.

Very good journalism but not where I got it from, I worked on the Carasoul ypu go on to mention within the UK car industry, at the time.

Don't want to take my word on what I said that's fine, but if you wish to find out how it works and it would make a interesting piece, Approach a Studio, does not have to be PD, and ask if you could interview someone on this process of licensing.or approach a manufacturer and ask them BMW always seem keen to talk about it, Or both of the previously mentioned and do a series on it..

Then we will have a definitive answer.
I mean... I already have. I speak to all of the UK car manufacturer press offices (and PR is not limited to press offices; the PRs are also keyed into marketing by the very nature of their roles, although for non-UK manufacturers the licensing reins are held by head office and the UK PR teams might not be as clued in. I tend to tell them more than they know, and they go back to the regional or global PRs to find out more) on a regular basis, as well as game and sometimes toy manufacturers and literally everything I've said is true.

No licence, no car. If there's not five cars a month licensed to head down the modelling pipeline, we don't get five cars a month out into the game.

Sign Me Up Do Something GIF
I’m serious, they should do it. I’d put down $100 that it’s a total flop. Have you seen their social media? The comments are littered with hate towards the VGT’s. It’s a small percentage that actually likes them.

Let me make this clear to anyone who isn’t familiar with the business side of game development:

• Everything that is a brand or person in the real world needs some form of licensing agreement. Everything. Even landmark buildings on street circuits (like the London Eye in GRID Legends), even individual sponsor logos on banners and liveries. Even Nigel Mansell’s moustache (probably).

The specific of these licenses vary from partner to partner. Some want money up front, some want royalties, some (if you’re lucky) will do it for free because they just want the exposure, some will allow things in-game but not in marketing, some will want approval rights on every single marketing asset etc.

There are also some brands (including car manufacturers) that don’t want anything to do with videogames, ever. That’s why you don’t see certain brands in certain games.

When it comes to licensed sports games, typically the current season content (cars, tracks, liveries) might be covered by a catch-all “championship license”. Anything historic tends to require separate arrangements. I obviously can’t talk specifics here (because I don’t know them and wouldn’t be allowed to anyway) about any individual game.

One thing I’ll say here though since it’s relevant to this update: I’ve had nothing but pleasant experiences with Skoda Motorsport. They’re always keen to support games either via in-game content or social media activity. They’re one of my favourite partners to work with on WRC 🙂

Side-note: Silverstone was in GRID but not in GRID Legends, it’s the only track that didn’t make it across. Something probably changed in those 3 years between releases.

Last edited:
Back