Gran Turismo 7 Was One of the Most Downloaded PlayStation 5 Games of 2022

• Thread starter Famine
  • 33 comments
Nothing new, the same happened to Horizon FW, GOW Ragnarok and a lot of multi platform and third parties games.
I think Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite sold more copies for Xseries/PC than the Xone version.

Last edited:
I got it in the sale last year. Even though I mostly buy physical games it's worth having GT games on the system itself to save daily disc swapping when playing something like GoW or Horizon.

Sadly game sucks, literally worst GT iteration ever created. The 25th years of experience has plummeted into a toilet in exchange of increasing pricing of cars for some unknown reason, while also making most pathetic racing career I've ever seen in my life.

I hope the game doing less-than-stellar on PS4 doesn't encourage them to drop PS4 support.
As a ps4 owner I Disagree , the ps4 SKU needs to be dropped . They clearly have to design two track sides . PS4 ver and PS5 ver , at least the trees anyways . Some tracks have LOD models that never load in on ps5 and that's extra work too. Sony needs to ditch the ps4 already , only like 7% of gow ragnorock sold on ps4 yet i can bet both my balls more than 7% of dev time was for the ps4, the whole game feels like it was built around the ps4's specs. Sony clearly over estimated the length of the parts shortage but that's fair . No need to keep doing that now. We are lucky we got Horizon and GOWR.

As a ps4 owner I Disagree , the ps4 SKU needs to be dropped . They clearly have to design two track sides . PS4 ver and PS5 ver , at least the trees anyways . Some tracks have LOD models that never load in on ps5 and that's extra work too. Sony needs to ditch the ps4 already , only like 7% of gow ragnorock sold on ps4 yet i can bet both my balls more than 7% of dev time was for the ps4, the whole game feels like it was built around the ps4's specs. Sony clearly over estimated the length of the parts shortage but that's fair . No need to keep doing that now. We are lucky we got Horizon and GOWR.
So you intentionally want them to abandon a product you paid for? What a weird mentality.

So you intentionally want them to abandon a product you paid for? What a weird mentality.
Uhm I’m a PS4 Pro owner and I sure hope the next GT (GT8) won’t support the PS4 anymore either. By that time I will already have a PS5 Slim, PS5 Pro or even PS6.

However I don’t see PD ever dropping the PS4 for GT7, not counting on PSVR2 support but that was to be expected. It’s not like Horizon Forbidden West where an entire new expansion map will be PS5 only.

If PD can improve the graphics of GT7 greatly by ditching the PS4, I’m sure they will do that but it will be called GT8. ☺️

Ignoring the actual game, i find it interesting how GT tend to do better in EMEA regions than North America.

As for the whole PS4/PS5 situation, it's a double edged sword. On one hand, I can't afford paying $750+ for a PS5 so having it on the PS4 is great for me. On the other hand, I feel like cross gen titles tend to limit or effect the development of the actual game.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo is definitely the silent giant amongst Playstation first party. God of War, Horizon, and TLOU definitely make bigger media splashes, but GT just chuggs along putting up huge numbers while also going under most gamers radars.
GT7 for sure was on the radar of most gamers shortly after its launch with all the scummy micro transactions and cars selling for 200 EUR/USD and such. Even if the average gamer is not interested in a racing game, they sure loved the drama.

But hey, same goes for us right? I loved all the EA Star Wars Battlefront II lootbox drama as well even though I never had any interest in the game. Same for Fallout 76. Anthem I actually played… and enjoyed for a while.

I mean, as a longtime GT player this is strong news for the series and Polyphony Digital, though I’m a bit concerned that PD will justify ignoring valid criticisms made by fans just because GT7 has experienced hearty enough sales numbers.
If it didn't sell that well they could justify scrapping it entirely like Project CARS.

Gran Turismo is definitely the silent giant amongst Playstation first party. God of War, Horizon, and TLOU definitely make bigger media splashes, but GT just chuggs along putting up huge numbers while also going under most gamers radars.
I think it has always been like this,GT keeps chugging along through all the console life span till the next gt

Are you serious ! This thread is about this , The ps4 version isn't even in the top 20. Sales data for physical copies is also reflecting that.
You’re making completely wrong assumptions. According to the news article in this thread, in the EU for example GT7 was at the nr. 6 spot of the top 20 of most downloaded PS5 games of 2022. It was also at the nr.19 spot of the top 20 of most downloaded PS4 games of 2022. What does that say about the raw numbers and relation of how many players play GT7 on PS5 compared to PS4? Absolutely nothing at all.

Again, if you claim 90% of the GT7 player base is on PS5 then I ask you again if you have any data or sources to back that up. In between the chip shortage, the PS5 scalping prices, an economical recession and barely any true next gen game for the first 2-3 years of the PS5’s lifespan, I would strongly doubt that 90% of GT7’s players are on PS5. I would honestly believe the GT7 player base is more 50-50% spread, if not leaning more towards the PS4.

I would honestly believe the GT7 player base is more 50-50% spread, if not leaning more towards the PS4.
While you're broadly correct in the rest of the post - bearing in mind there's five times more PS4s than PS5s at GT7's launch (though that gap has reduced over time), so in terms of unit volumes top 20 on PS4 could be considerably more than top 5 on PS5 - the figures we have suggest PS5 unit sales are far, far outstripping PS4 on games released on both platforms.

Not 9:1, but 3:1 (75:25) or 2:1 (66:33) certainly where studios have released such information; take CODMW2, which in UK boxed sales was at 53% on PS5 - almost triple the PS4's 18% (or 3:1), with other platforms selling the remaining 29% between them. Factoring in downloads (which Sony have at 66-80% of sales) in the global picture, 42% of all sales were PS5, 15% PS4, which is handily also close to 3:1 - so the platform choice doesn't appear to affect the choice to buy boxed or download.

PD is not one of the studios that released this data, so we have no basis to make claims for GT7 specifically. However that's the general trend: 2-3 times the sales on PS5 compared to PS4, despite having around a third of the consoles now.

That's buyers though; players is a different question. The PS4 of GT7 version is... worse, particularly in online racing where you can pretty much only race with other PS4 users (this is locked in Dailies; in lobbies there's constant complaints) except in the dedicated servers of the World Series. I reckon that's put a lot of PS4 players off continuing to play it.

To reach 9:1, there'd need to be three PS4 players quitting per PS5 player who quits; to reach 50:50 there'd need to be three PS5 players who quit per PS4 player who quits (umm... I think; haven't sat and worked that one). I don't think either is the case, but there's no raw data of any kind on this so... 🤷‍♂️

While you're broadly correct in the rest of the post - bearing in mind there's five times more PS4s than PS5s at GT7's launch (though that gap has reduced over time), so in terms of unit volumes top 20 on PS4 could be considerably more than top 5 on PS5 - the figures we have suggest PS5 unit sales are far, far outstripping PS4 on games released on both platforms. Multiplatform titles

Not 9:1, but 3:1 (75:25) or 2:1 (66:33) certainly where studios have released such information; take CODMW2, which in UK boxed sales was at 53% on PS5 - almost triple the PS4's 18% (or 3:1), with other platforms selling the remaining 29% between them. Factoring in downloads (which Sony have at 66-80% of sales) in the global picture, 42% of all sales were PS5, 15% PS4, which is handily also close to 3:1 - so the platform choice doesn't appear to affect the choice to buy boxed or download.

PD is not one of the studios that released this data, so we have no basis to make claims for GT7 specifically. However that's the general trend: 2-3 times the sales on PS5 compared to PS4, despite having around a third of the consoles now.

That's buyers though; players is a different question. The PS4 of GT7 version is... worse, particularly in online racing where you can pretty much only race with other PS4 users (this is locked in Dailies; in lobbies there's constant complaints) except in the dedicated servers of the World Series. I reckon that's put a lot of PS4 players off continuing to play it.

To reach 9:1, there'd need to be three PS4 players quitting per PS5 player who quits; to reach 50:50 there'd need to be three PS5 players who quit per PS4 player who quits (umm... I think; haven't sat and worked that one). I don't think either is the case, but there's no raw data of any kind on this so... 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for the extra info, while COD MW2 isn’t GT7, at least it gives some idea of PS4 vs PS5 data.

In all those sales versions I also wonder where I personally am calculated in (even if we don’t have any direct sales data). I bought the Digital Deluxe version (or w/e it was called) with the 3 extra DLC cars but it’s also a version of the game that is both PS4/PS5 compatible. I think on paper it is the PS5 version of the game, but I bought it on the PS4 store and I am still playing it on my PS4 Pro. Is that a +1 for a PS4 or PS5 sale in Sony’s books? Once a PS5 Slim or PS5 Pro comes out I’ll get one of those and play GT7 from there. If my previous sale was counted as a PS4 sale, will it stay like that while I play it that way? Or will Sony do a -1 for PS4 and a +1 for PS5 in my case? I’m sure they don’t do anything but I’m just indicating how complex my personal example is. I would think Sony keeps it easy and just counts all the Digital Deluxe (PS4/PS5) as PS5 sales, it looks better in their books for sure. But in my case it’s actually false info since I bought it on PS4 and play it on PS4, it’s just a game that’s PS5 ready.

As far as multiplayer goes, I don’t even have the Sony online subscription so I don’t play that. I’m sure there are many other players who did the same and bought GT7 for just singleplayer, especially after GT Sport. But also here, no clue how many players that are. Honestly I hink many of the gamers that bought GT7 and have already ditched the game and moved on long time ago, were gamers that longed for a good GT7 singleplayer campaign.

Coming back to the numbers of how many play GT7 on PS4 vs PS5, it’s not because a better hardware version is out that this has a massive impact on the spread. Your 3:1 or 2:1 ratio feels more realistic than the other guy’s 90%, but I would seriously be surprised if it was even that much. A long time ago I checked either in FH4 or FH5 via a “tutorial“ speedtrap leaderboard how many players were on Xbox compared to PC. Even though PC was the more powerful platform at that time and people expected a huge number of new players joining FH4/5 via PC, that leaderboard showed an overwhelming 93% of scores set came from the Xbox platform.

This is also a way of looking at it, according to Wikipedia these are the PS4 vs PS5 sales :
PS4: 117.2 million units sold
PS5: 30 million units sold

That PS5 number is a recent update according to this article : https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-30m-sales-after-its-biggest-sales-month-yet/

Now let’s assume worse case scenario that ALL of those 30 million PS5 sales came from people who owned a PS4 before and now have their old PS4 powered down. That means you still have 87,2 million “active” PS4 consoles vs 30 million ”active” PS5 consoles. Those numbers alone will make it hard to believe for me that GT7 sold or is played more on PS5 compared to PS4. And most certainly not the aforementioned “90%” claim. :)

Now let’s assume worse case scenario that ALL of those 30 million PS5 sales came from people who owned a PS4 before and now have their old PS4 powered down. That means you still have 87,2 million “active” PS4 consoles vs 30 million ”active” PS5 consoles. Those numbers alone will make it hard to believe for me that GT7 sold or is played more on PS5 compared to PS4. And most certainly not the aforementioned “90%” claim. :)
You're making a crucial mistake in that last paragraph. The 117m number is just the cumulative sales of the PS4 across the years, but it doesn't represent the active playerbase which is naturally much smaller by this point. Something you can notice from the games that chart on PS4 still is that people still on that console aren't the kind to buy full-priced games on day 1, with discounted prices having a much greater impact than on PS5.

You can look at it this way: On the last two years, Sony has sold a lot more PS5s than they have PS4s. People who bought a console recently are more likely to purchase and play games on it than people who had it for ages and already lost interest in the platform, or had their console break, or just stopped gaming altogether.

I've seen so many people defend cross gen releases because "PS4 has a huge install base" but 4:1 sales for PS5 vs PS4 shows that install base means nothing if people are no longer buying games for the console. Sacrificing the quality of games to get an extra 20% of sales at a lower price just seems stupid to me but again, I care more about games selling themselves than Jim "WE BELIEVE IN GENERATIONS" Ryan

Back