Gran Turismo 7's Car list not as rich as you may expect - IGNs Gran Turismo 7 Review

Australia
QLD,
StigBelcherStyle
Gran Turismo 7's Car list not as rich as you may expect - IGNs Gran Turismo 7 Review

Whilst listening to the latest in Gran Turismo 7 reviews, most have been positive but all seem to be saying the same things.

IGN Quote: "GT7s car roster exceeding 400 cars sounds great on paper, but after accounting for multiple variations of the same cars. The reality is the garage in GT7 not nearly as rich as you may expect. And certainly not as current with a few exceptions, most manufacturers tend to top out at 2017. If your expecting a few higher profile cars from the last 2-3 years here, like the latest McLarens or any Tesla built since 2012, you may be disappointed."

My Quote: "We as car fans can tell the difference between a complete car list and one that is made up of duplicates and outdated car models. Where is the McLaren P1 supercar that came out in 2013 (9 years ago), Bugatti Chiron that came out in 2016 (6 years ago), No Koenigseggs, Volvos or other unique brands to get excited about and enjoy and where are the 300 unused premium cars that were in GT6 that were cut out for GT Sport"

All I can say is Gran Turismo 7 better blow us away with amazing DLC to make up for the gaps in their roster.

We are relying on dlc.

Thats not good news to be honest.
Why not? There were 168 cars at launch in GT Sport and there are now 337, or slightly more than double the number available at launch.

There are over 420 cars in GT7 at launch... I'm not really seeing the issue here?

I'd be pretty surprised if there are not a lot of cars and tracks added to GT7 over the next 2-3 years at least.

Last edited:
Personally that’s fine for me. It’s the era I grew up in and really look forward to driving my favorite Porsches. That being said, I do hope for a consistent and longer term DLC planning, not having the game feel discarded after 1,5 years with no content development.

@Rangeraus Yeahhhhhh but remember when you actually used to get a GT game and it had everything on it day one? Lets be honest, majority of that list was copy/pasted from GTS. They are using the same models but at its highest quality available.

I think its a copout to rely on...oh we will add **** later. You can add and extend things such as vision gt cars, a bikes mode maybe..something specific. But if this statement is true that means what, a brand new GT doesn't have a Lamborghini Urus? But im sure it has some steam powered bucket from 1900. Its a racing game, newer car models should be a priority, not a DLC.

Im not saying that we should get 700 cars like back in the day, but as far as more famous brands and supercars, its not like 200 of them came out in the last 4 years. If we are going to be generous, not counting some slight variations....30...maybe 40 cars in total? And like I said, most of the car list was just transferred from GTS. The DLC should be brand new cars that are just about to come out, to keep the game fresh going forwards. But why are we having a car list that is missing vehicles from the last 4 years.

Last edited:
@Rangeraus Yeahhhhhh but remember when you actually used to get a GT game and it had everything on it day one? Lets be honest, majority of that list was copy/pasted from GTS. They are using the same models but at its highest quality available.

I think its a copout to rely on...oh we will add **** later. You can add and extend things such as vision gt cars, a bikes mode maybe..something specific. But if this statement is true that means what, a brand new GT doesn't have a Lamborghini Urus? But im sure it has some steam powered bucket from 1900. Its a racing game, newer car models should be a priority, not a DLC.

Im not saying that we should get 700 cars like back in the day, but as far as more famous brands and supercars, its not like 200 of them came out in the last 4 years. If we are going to be generous, not counting some slight variations....30...maybe 40 cars in total? And like I said, most of the car list was just transferred from GTS. The DLC should be brand new cars that are just about to come out, to keep the game fresh going forwards. But why are we having a car list that is missing vehicles from the last 4 years.
yes, lets be honest here.. with a detail level like this:

We won't get anywhere what we used to, and more honestly, with the way Games are today, we all know that DLCs is a major part in how gaming economy works. With GT7 going 100% into shark cards territory it would be a HUGE surprise if more cars and tracks aren't added as time go by. It keeps the game fresh and the money flowing.

GT7 was released with the number of cars they thought would be "enough" and with plenty in store to be released..

Ok but again, im not saying stuff it with cars. Im saying a modern, new iteration of a racing game should have modern/latest cars as a priority showcase. Even NFS Heat had that stupid Volvo Polestar because it was the newest thing on the market. Yeah they had classics but I mean GT is a showcase by itself....how can you only have a roster from 4 years ago and below??? Isnt that why we buy racing games so we can imagine what its like to drive the newest Ferrari, Lambo, etc? OK so it will come as a DLC but its not like there isnt already more than enough cars coming out to be included as a DLC.

So no Ferrari SF90, Lambo Urus, Koenigsegg Jesco...

Last edited:
I kind of understand the sentiment of 'where are the latest cars?' - but on the flip side, this is Gran Turismo, not Need For Speed. If you open up a copy of GT3 you'll find a large chunk of cars that aren't the latest models, same goes for GT4 and so on.

Sure, they had a few more recent cars than we're getting in 7, but I still don't think the car list is that bad.

I kind of understand the sentiment of 'where are the latest cars?' - but on the flip side, this is Gran Turismo, not Need For Speed. If you open up a copy of GT3 you'll find a large chunk of cars that aren't the latest models, same goes for GT4 and so on.

Sure, they had a few more recent cars than we're getting in 7, but I still don't think the car list is that bad.
It’s a weird one. Some complain when cars are dropped. Yet, PD kept just about all cars from the last game(it seems 4 out of 338 have been dropped).

Some complain there are no up to date cars, but we get some serious vintage cars never seen before.… and some vintage cars, members here, have been drooling for.

Many of us want at least up to date race cars, but PD have to strike a balance for whatever reasons. I mean, we’ve seen leaks of cars like the Starion, Stratos, Delta, SCG, Espada, GT Awards cars, etc. We finally get cars like the E30 and Carrera GT, 964, return of Celica, CSLs, Z432, New Z. The car list is great.

I want some up to date stuff too. We know some won’t be satisfied no matter what. We can receive the P1 and 918 tomorrow. People will still say, oh well then, where is the Chiron?

Yes, I was looking through the car list the other day, and it seemed a bit flat. Even if you exclude the oodles of dupes in GT4, it still feels like a more colorful and unique set of cars, but a lot of these would be lost, never destined to go past GT5 standard models.

I can agree with both sides of the argument. I would like to come to a defense in GT7 and that would be the customization of the cars as well. I think its safe to say that if each car in the game is going to have more than 60 customizable parts per car. It's safe to say that stuff like this takes time. As well as getting the information on how a car handles. Considering that Gran Turismo and Polyphony has had a history of making every car feel unique, Data gathering and simulation is big factor to put in and it takes time to refine. Unlike in NFS Heat for example where a certain category of cars would feel the same throughout the game. I feel like these days, Yes studios do rely on DLC nowadays but if we can take GT Sport, for example, They did a terrific job introducing new cars as well as returning old ones in the span of 5 years. I feel like there's a lot in store for this game. Keep in mind, Kaz said that he doesn't see an end to GT7 and can be wildly expanded however long this game will be serviced. There's a lot of opportunity in GT7 and we should just be optimistic about it all. Reviews so far have praised how refined GT7 Feels, Even if the car count is a little over 420 cars. One more side note, We have to continue to put into consideration COVID happened (or is still happening) and the game industry is still recovering from it all.

Imagine moaning at 420 different cars at launch. Welcome to gaming in 2022... ridiculous lol
Absolutely NOBODY is moaning about how many cars there are. We are discussing why there arent newer models from the start, instead most are just from the GTS list. We are not talking about GT2 to GT3 jump where everything is updated. They are literally using the same exact models from GTS already, its not like they were modeling 400+ cars to make GT7 happen.

Even though GT was always a quantity over quality type of car list game, I personally would prefer even less cars but again, updated model list as a priority first. As I mentioned...that 1900s wood bucket on 4 wheels or the NASA rover...i mean stuff like that adds to the list but c'mon, realistically, maybe for fun you drove them like TWICE max. Its nice to have in their museum section and so on but a tighter car list would of been better. Thast my point, im still buying the game and cant wait to play, but am very surprised that I wont be able to see cars that came out even 3 years ago in a brand new GT in 2022.

Absolutely NOBODY is moaning about how many cars there are. We are discussing why there arent newer models from the start, instead most are just from the GTS list. We are not talking about GT2 to GT3 jump where everything is updated. They are literally using the same exact models from GTS already, its not like they were modeling 400+ cars to make GT7 happen.

Even though GT was always a quantity over quality type of car list game, I personally would prefer even less cars but again, updated model list as a priority first. As I mentioned...that 1900s wood bucket on 4 wheels or the NASA rover...i mean stuff like that adds to the list but c'mon, realistically, maybe for fun you drove them like TWICE max. Its nice to have in their museum section and so on but a tighter car list would of been better. Thast my point, im still buying the game and cant wait to play, but am very surprised that I wont be able to see cars that came out even 3 years ago in a brand new GT in 2022.

Technically we Get the New Z... So we do get a NEW car. :3

Call me a purist, but I would gladly take the Benz Patent-motorwagen over any new Lamborghini or multimillion dollar hypercar.

I would be way more excited by DLC which included a Honda Prelude 2.2 VTI than a brand new Tesla.

For me Gran Turismo has always been more about the every day cars, the quirky, the strange and even mundane, than the glamorous world of Hypercars.

My Quote: "We as car fans can tell the difference between a complete car list and one that is made up of duplicates and outdated car models. Where is the McLaren P1 supercar that came out in 2013 (9 years ago), Bugatti Chiron that came out in 2016 (6 years ago), No Koenigseggs, Volvos or other unique brands to get excited about and enjoy and where are the 300 unused premium cars that were in GT6 that were cut out for GT Sport"

All I can say is Gran Turismo 7 better blow us away with amazing DLC to make up for the gaps in their roster.
Gran Turismo has never really treated super cars and hyper cars as something deserving special attention, and that’s part of its DNA since forever. The DLC will most likely continue this trend. Some additions will be old icons and classics, while others will be modern classics and new relevant models. PD doesn’t allow recent hype for certain cars to overshadow the importance of other cars, and I appreciate that balance.

Call me a purist, but I would gladly take the Benz Patent-motorwagen over any new Lamborghini or multimillion dollar hypercar.
You're a purist.

The Benz is cool as a part of automotive history, but it's not exactly fun to drive for any period of time in a videogame unless you have a lot of TV to watch. Driving it in real life would be exhilirating and terrifying if you got up to any sort of speed - driving it in a videogame has none of the same physical interaction that would make driving such a slow and old car fun.

There are cars where a game is unable to appropriately convey what makes them awesome, and the Benz is one of them. It was a fun gimmick back when cars didn't take quite so much effort to create in game. In 2022 it probably shouldn't be in a game over any of the other historically important but also interesting and unusual to drive cars that could be chosen.

I sort of like how GT has always been about having thirty different GT-Rs rather than the latest hypercar, but it would definitely freshen things up with just a few new new additions. They wouldn't even need to be the crazy highest spec things, but a McLaren Artura and 765LT, maybe an Aston DBS or new Vantage etc. That said, I would love to see the Valkyrie in there.

You also take into factor how much we can now customize the cars and make them into new looking machines. I think PD will deliver when it comes to the DLC for GT7.

It’s a weird one. Some complain when cars are dropped. Yet, PD kept just about all cars from the last game(it seems 4 out of 338 have been dropped).
Tried googling to no avail. Up until this comment I assumed we had only lost the Fittipaldi VGT. What're the other three?

I do not understand the kids and how angry they get about the lack of hypercars in any game.

They're not fun to drive.
I could careless about hypercars when im waiting for cars like these like the Ferrari F355, Lamborghini Diablo SV, Mclaren F1 GT, Porsche 911 GT1(993), Ferrari F50 GT and you name it. Not to mention brands like Volvo even lesser ones like Vector and Venturi.

My personal opinion...

I can't complain at 400+ cars at this level of detail in such a polished game, much better than the standard vs premium system during the PS3 days.

PD are fantastic at supporting their games with content for years after release and 90% of it is free so for me this is not a concern in the slightest.

I do not understand the kids and how angry they get about the lack of hypercars in any game.

They're not fun to drive.
I don’t understand the widespread obsession with hyper cars either, but I think it’s a stretch to categorically say they aren’t fun to drive. Porsche 918 is a fun car, in my opinion.

Why is everyone focusing on hyprrcars as if that is all people are asking for? People are asking for the latest models of any cars, not just the fast stuff.

All the way down the car list, fast or slow, the latest models are rarely present.
Some people do, some peolpe don't...
I don't care at all about the latest models, as mentioned above I would like to have more cars from 1960-1989...
But that is my personal taste, and I don't go around, and write "People are asking for more vintage cars..."

Back