Gran Turismo 7's Car list not as rich as you may expect - IGNs Gran Turismo 7 Review

Well tastes are different...if you would ask me, I would dump all the 2010s and 2020s hypercars anytime for more classic touring cars and sportcars of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s...but then again I am aware, that the game is called Gran Tourimso and not Gran Tourismo Classics

Some people do, some peolpe don't...
I don't care at all about the latest models, as mentioned above I would like to have more cars from 1960-1989...
But that is my personal taste, and I don't go around, and write "People are asking for more vintage cars..."
You did specify hypercars as did several other people, that's why I said it's not just modern hypercars people want in reference to this topic and outdated car models.

It’s a weird one. Some complain when cars are dropped. Yet, PD kept just about all cars from the last game(it seems 4 out of 338 have been dropped).

Some complain there are no up to date cars, but we get some serious vintage cars never seen before.… and some vintage cars, members here, have been drooling for.

Many of us want at least up to date race cars, but PD have to strike a balance for whatever reasons. I mean, we’ve seen leaks of cars like the Starion, Stratos, Delta, SCG, Espada, GT Awards cars, etc. We finally get cars like the E30 and Carrera GT, 964, return of Celica, CSLs, Z432, New Z. The car list is great.

I want some up to date stuff too. We know some won’t be satisfied no matter what. We can receive the P1 and 918 tomorrow. People will still say, oh well then, where is the Chiron?
Imo they should have dropped some of the lower cars like the fiat 500 ( there's already an Abart 500 ) and focused on more newer cars ,not the 1000hp newer cars though. My biggest complaint would be no caterham and integra Type R race mod though. The 2 most used cars by me and my mates in GT5, mostly around Monaco and Eiger.

Why not? There were 168 cars at launch in GT Sport and there are now 337, or slightly more than double the number available at launch.

There are over 420 cars in GT7 at launch... I'm not really seeing the issue here?

I'd be pretty surprised if there are not a lot of cars and tracks added to GT7 over the next 2-3 years at least.
If it get to 600-650 cars count after 3 years of costant DLC's it will be awesome. We are at 424 already at launch, so many more are definitely coming.

I look at it like this I don't remember GT1 having the latest and greatest. I could be wrong though. But with that said that doesn't mean they shouldn't have mean some of the newest cars out. I get it they have a way about doing things but sometimes change is not bad. Hopefully when they add DLC (because we all know that they will) that they will add new and classic cars.

Now that the launch list is final, I'm left hoping that the DLC cars are evenly split between all-new cars and cars from previous GT games.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't manufacturer license agreements usually designed where they take a percentage of the initial sales of the launch of the game? It's no coincidence that all the manufacturers even the ones which have supported GT Sport the most do not have their most recent models represented except the 400Z. IMO all the manufacturers are waiting for the launch of GT7 to get paid their percentages before approving new content based on previous contractual agreements. Keep in mind Polyphony supported Sport for over 4 1/2 years and IMO are waiting for the launch of GT7 in order to finalize agreements with the manufacturers. We might see the return of Lotus as well as new to the series manufacturers. I believe most of the cars we saw on the Sport Supra survey will be the ones we will see first as DLC. Of course, not all of them will come at the same time. We have to be patient and see! ;)

Last edited:
Even though GT was always a quantity over quality type of car list game, I personally would prefer even less cars but again, updated model list as a priority first. As I mentioned...that 1900s wood bucket on 4 wheels or the NASA rover...i mean stuff like that adds to the list but c'mon, realistically, maybe for fun you drove them like TWICE max. Its nice to have in their museum section and so on but a tighter car list would of been better. Thast my point, im still buying the game and cant wait to play, but am very surprised that I wont be able to see cars that came out even 3 years ago in a brand new GT in 2022.
But having more cars would increase the chances (not guaranteed, but the chances) of everyone finding something they like among them. Like having 700 increases more chances of finding the than having 400. Never stop adding new cars.
Well tastes are different...if you would ask me, I would dump all the 2010s and 2020s hypercars anytime for more classic touring cars and sportcars of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s...but then again I am aware, that the game is called Gran Tourimso and not Gran Tourismo Classics
Why not just keep both/all of them smh? Why everything must be a trade off like "if ya want something, the other thing has to be removed", etc.?
My personal opinion...

I can't complain at 400+ cars at this level of detail in such a polished game, much better than the standard vs premium system during the PS3 days.

PD are fantastic at supporting their games with content for years after release and 90% of it is free so for me this is not a concern in the slightest.
400+ is the amount of Premium cars in GT6, there are 447 of them. If you'd stretch into semi Premiums (updated Standards that has Premium exterior but no interior like the RUF), then there's 152 of them.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't help but agree that the car list felt a bit lacking tbh. Needed some more modern or everyday stuff like a McLaren 720S or a BMW 340i or the new Civic or Accord maybe. Definitely a bit disappointed that my beloved Citroen C4 is absent.

The overall number does not bother me personally because I don't think I would get to drive all of the cars anyway, not with how the game seems to be structured and how much free time I have on my hand anyway. Plus, if you have enough classes on disposal you can make the selection look rich even with 100 cars.

Sometimes I wonder if PD ever introduces cars based on the events they come up with or they just go for whatever they think it should be in the game and deal with the events, balance and everything else afterwards.

It's interesting to hear demand for new cars, usually older ones are sought after.

Surprising that the pandemic has only been mentioned once in this thread so far. Surely with all the work that goes into capturing 3D models, the last two years have severely hamstrung PD’s ability to build the library.

Things should get better. I’ve got faith that DLC will serve us very well for a while to come.

Surprising that the pandemic has only been mentioned once in this thread so far. Surely with all the work that goes into capturing 3D models, the last two years have severely hamstrung PD’s ability to build the library.
In addition to this, it takes more and more time and effort to model a single car everytime gaming world advances to a new level of technology, and car library is getting larger and larger every month, old ones are not just going to disappear, people will want all of them.

It’s not about the Hypercars, I know I mentioned it in the main message it’s about lack of model and track variety, something GT2, GT3 and GT4 had in spades. Also GT6 had a larger Premium Car list than Sport ever did with even more variety and less fake duplicates. The reason I mention the Porsche 918 or McLaren P1 is because the PlayStation Magazine when GT6 launched in 2013 marked these as missed opportunities.

GT Sports first major update consisted of exclusively 10 premium returning vehicles from GT6. Where’s the LFA, kei cars, missing subaru’s, the other Sema winners, the El Camino and the other awesome classic vehicles from GT6?

Also where’s the new or unusual brands and cars PD, You’ve been contacted by brands like Isdera and Zenvo where’s the fruit from discussions?

Last edited:
Imo they should have dropped some of the lower cars like the fiat 500 ( there's already an Abart 500 ) and focused on more newer cars ,not the 1000hp newer cars though. My biggest complaint would be no caterham and integra Type R race mod though. The 2 most used cars by me and my mates in GT5, mostly around Monaco and Eiger.
Why not just keep both/all of them? Why everything must be a trade off like "if ya want something, the other thing has to be removed", etc.? You can add the newer cars while keeping all the existing cars in the game, it's not like the game has limited number of what cars can be available like the cars on garage.
It's interesting to hear demand for new cars, usually older ones are sought after.
I was called the biggest idiot when I defended old cars as they're indirectly bashed in favor of a new car like some do here.
It’s not about the Hypercars, I know I mentioned it in the main message it’s about lack of model and track variety, something GT2, GT3 and GT4 had in spades. Also GT6 had a larger Premium Car list than Sport ever did with even more variety and less fake duplicates. The reason I mention the Porsche 918 or McLaren P1 is because the PlayStation Magazine when GT6 launched in 2013 marked these as missed opportunities.
What model and track variety for GT3? (other than the obvious, all original tracks are still there). And GT6 had 447 Premium cars (and I don't know what's the exaggeration of the "fake duplicates" here).

I do not understand the kids and how angry they get about the lack of hypercars in any game.

They're not fun to drive.
Part of it, from my understanding is that the hypercars are more fashionable than "old news" vintage and classic cars. Hypercars are seen as cutting-edge and the second coming of christ in certain circles.

Actually, the overall car number isn't bad, what is bad IMO is that a very large chunk of these cars are Fake/Fictional cars, that took much less effort to implement in the game as PD staff didn't need any real life model to... model them.

Here's the list of Fake cars (literally all cars with no "release date" attached to them and that say Gr.1/Gr.3/Gr.3/Gr.B which are all from base models they actually did model and the VGT cars, which none of them exist):

Alfa Romeo4C Gr.3
Alfa Romeo4C Gr.3 Road Car
Alfa Romeo4C Gr.4
AlpineVGT
AlpineVGT 2017
AlpineVGT Race Mode
Aston MartinDP100 VGT
Aston MartinV8 Vantage Gr.4
Audie-tron VGT
AudiVGT
BMWM4 Gr.4
BMWM4 Safety Car
BMWVGT
BugattiVeyron Gr.4
BugattiVGT
BugattiVGT Gr.1
Chaparral2X VGT
ChevroletCorvette C7 Gr.3
ChevroletCorvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car
ChevroletCorvette C7 Gr.4
CitroenGT by Citroen Gr.3
CitroenGT by Citroen Gr.4
DaihatsuCopen RJ VGT
DodgeCharger SRT Hellcat Safety Car
DodgeSRT Tomahawk GTS-R VGT
DodgeSRT Tomahawk S VGT
DodgeSRT Tomahawk VGT Gr.1
DodgeSRT Tomahawk X VGT
DodgeViper Gr.4
Ferrari458 Gr.4
FordFocus Gr.B
FordGT LM Race Car Spec II
FordGT LM Spec II Test Car
FordMustang Gr.3
FordMustang Gr.3 Road Car
FordMustang Gr.4
FordMustang Gr.B
GenesisG70 Gr.3
GenesisG70 Gr.4
Gran TurismoF1500T-A
Gran TurismoRacing Kart 125 Shifter
Gran TurismoRed Bull X2014 Junior
Gran TurismoRed Bull X2014 Standard
Gran TurismoRed Bull X2019 Competition
HondaNSX Gr.3
HondaNSX Gr.4
HondaNSX Gr.B
HondaSports VGT
HyundaiGenesis Gr.3
HyundaiGenesis Gr.4
HyundaiGenesis Gr.B
HyundaiN2025 VGT
HyundaiN2025 VGT Gr.1
InfinitiConcept VGT
JaguarF-Type Gr.3
JaguarF-Type Gr.4
JaguarVGT
JaguarVGT Roadster
JaguarVGT SV
LamborghiniHuracan Gr.4
LamborghiniLambo V12 VGT
LexusLF-LC GT VGT
LexusRC F Gr.4
MazdaAtenza Gr.3
MazdaAtenza Gr.3 Road Car
MazdaAtenza Gr.4
MazdaLM55 VGT
MazdaLM55 VGT Gr.1
MazdaRoadster Touring Car
MazdaRX-Vision Gr.3
McLaren650S Gr.4
McLarenUltimate VGT
McLarenUltimate VGT Gr.1
MercedesAMG GT S Safety Car
MercedesSLS AMG Gr.4
MercedesVGT
MercedesVGT Racing Series
MiniClubman VGT
MitsubishiConcept XR-PHEV Evolution VGT
MitsubishiLancer Evolution X Final Edition Gr.3
MitsubishiLancer Evolution X Final Edition Gr.4
MitsubishiLancer Evolution X Final Edition Gr.B
MitsubishiLancer Evolution X Final Edition Gr.B Road Car
NissanConcept 2020 VGT
NissanGT-R (R35) Gr.4
NissanGT-R (R35) Gr.B
NissanGT-R (R35) Safety Car
NissanSilvia S15 Touring Car
PeugeotL500R Hybrid VGT
PeugeotL750R Hybrid VGT
PeugeotRCZ Gr.3
PeugeotRCZ Gr.3 Road Car
PeugeotRCZ Gr.4
PeugeotRCZ Gr.B
PeugeotVGT
PeugeotVGT Gr.3
PorscheVGT
RenaultMegane Gr.4
RenaultMegane RS Trophy Safety Car
SubaruVIZIV GT VGT
SubaruWRX STI Gr.3
SubaruWRX STI Gr.4
SubaruWRX STI Gr.B
SubaruWRX STI Gr.B Road Car
SuzukiSwift Sport Gr.4
Toyota86 Gr.4
Toyota86.Gr.B
ToyotaCrown Athlete G Safety Car
ToyotaFT-1 VGT
ToyotaFT1 VGT Gr.3
VolkswagenBeetle Gr.3
VolkswagenGTI Roadster VGT
VolkswagenGTI Supersport VGT
VolkswagenGTI VGT
VolkswagenScirocco Gr.4
ZagatoZagato IsoRivolta VGT

This is 116 out of 424 cars that are either VGTs or "fake" duplicates that had a widebody and some aero parts/tuning added to the base model car.

So, in actual fact, PD only was able to model from the ground up 308 cars. Taking into account that between GT6 and GT7, you have a gap of almost 9 years, I personally don't think this is an impressive number.
Even less so when they had premium cars on GT6, which were cars they did take from real life models, and a lot of them are still yet to appear in the game.

And they really do have some missed opportunities that should've been in the game already. In particular cars from 2018+ which are ridiculously few in number. Only 22 to be precise, and if we go by just 2020+ models it's reduced to 8.
Others include the normal McLaren P1 (not the GTR which is in the game), the Porsche 918 Spyder and the Lexus LFA. But this can all still be forgiven because PD has stated it will keep release cars into the game, so I'll just say we give it time.

This time around, most of the 424 cars (even taking into account the "fictional" cars) are pretty much unique in their driving styles, with just about a couple or so of actual duplicates.
Least of all, we do have to recognize the amazingly gorgeous quality of the cars in the game, from any parts of their exteriors to their interiors and the sound of most of them as well as the way they drive.

Out of curiosity I glanced over the current list and wow. Strip out the GR cars, which IMO should just be Race mods/tunes like the GT2 days, and it is pretty bare bones. Honestly I should have looked at the list earlier but saw some classics and liked what I was playing though the Menu Books and thought I may be surprised to see what rotates through on the used shop. However considering how slow the rotation is I looked to see what I would be waiting for. It is certainly not inspiring and outside some specific vehicles I may need for future events in sport, I only see a few more cars I want for my personal collection. I am dumbfounded not to at least see the RS200 as well as other notable gaps from the 80-90's. I was already bummed not to see a single Lotus. Also certainly odd not to see some very notable new cars like the new Vette. I have no doubts there will be DLC but I really hope DLC fleshes out the list and isnt too long of a wait.

Back