Gran Turismo is a life changing game

Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
United States
Hi,

I do not have GT7 but there's no general GT forum here. I've been recently playing Gran Turismo 3 and 4. As a teenager I tried GT3 and I wanted to like it but found it incredibly hard. It didn't click. Half a life time later I picked it up again and really dug it. Then I bought GT4 and really fell in love. This was a few weeks back.

I've been updating my progress and asking for tips in this thread made by @TeaKanji

In any case, I'll be forward and say I was never a car person. Cars were just a means to an end. In the USA, in most places of living, you need a car to get by. So I've used cars to get around but never really respected or loved them. Ever since getting into Gran Turismo though, that's changed. It started when I first started to pay attention to the various vehicles on the road. Then I was able to pick out Miata's on the street just by eyeballing them, or correctly guessing car brands I used to not care about. Then it began with my own car. In the past few weeks since getting into GT I've changed my relationship with cars. Gran Turismo teaches you not only to love car culture but also its history and to treat our four wheeled friends with respect. I started hanging out with mechanics, I learned how to change my own oil, I helped take apart an engine, I can change tires and take apart brake pads. I've gone to ChrisFix's YouTube and started using his videos to clean my car and make it look and feel new and my car is really thanking me. I've named her Yazmin.

I started to watch Initial D and Top Gear to understand cars. Started watching YouTube videos on the layout of cars and how the parts work, and how to fix them. I'm currently applying to a auto technician job just so I can learn more about cars and my hope is to get a job in the vehicle industry.

There was one video in particular by ChrisFix that really made me fall in love with cars and it's this one where he diagnoses a cars starter system.

Gran Turismo is really life changing. :)

From what I've seen of GT7 is looks really good! I can't wait to play it.

Last edited:
GT3 has some bugs with the GT Force wheel, that might be why it's so difficult. The paddle shifters work when they want and the brake pedal only goes to 80%. The brake issue can be corrected by recalibrating the controller in game or building a custom circuit to fix it.
The fastest progression through GT3 starts out with the license tests. Don't buy a car right away, instead, keep running license tests and hitting gold until you win a Mazda Roadster and have the correct license to get into the Apricot Hill endurance race. Use your starting credits to buy hard racing tires (Cr. 10,000), then enter the race. The AI will take off but they're running soft tires that will wear out before yours do.
When the race ends, hit X when the shadow is under the formula car. The other three are roadsters like what you have. If you wind up with a roadster, sell it. Use the proceeds and prize money to upgrade your own roadster. Repeat until you win the formula car, then repeat this process with other endurance events to win more money and more formula cars.
That'll get you started off well.

Right? GT2's car list was massive, especially for the time. I know lots of different cars now, thanks to GT. And I keep learning about new ones in GT7.

I was really hoping GT7 would've changed my life though. I was all hype when anticipating it but as it stands now, a huge failure and I'm forced to wait for GT7. What we have now is just a glorified Prologue. :indiff:

I want to like the game, but I can't. All I'm doing is grind money, and once I've completed the car collection, what then? Hiatus.

GT3 has some bugs with the GT Force wheel, that might be why it's so difficult. The paddle shifters work when they want and the brake pedal only goes to 80%. The brake issue can be corrected by recalibrating the controller in game or building a custom circuit to fix it.
The fastest progression through GT3 starts out with the license tests. Don't buy a car right away, instead, keep running license tests and hitting gold until you win a Mazda Roadster and have the correct license to get into the Apricot Hill endurance race. Use your starting credits to buy hard racing tires (Cr. 10,000), then enter the race. The AI will take off but they're running soft tires that will wear out before yours do.
When the race ends, hit X when the shadow is under the formula car. The other three are roadsters like what you have. If you wind up with a roadster, sell it. Use the proceeds and prize money to upgrade your own roadster. Repeat until you win the formula car, then repeat this process with other endurance events to win more money and more formula cars.
That'll get you started off well.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I play with controller and have absolutely no idea why you would assume someone new to sim racers would play with a wheel set up outright. I've adjusted to GT3 difficulty. In any case, the license tests, the very thing you suggest to concentrate on, were what I found the hardest especially as a teenager. They were utterly demoralizing. Especially getting Gold's. I gave it back to my friend after struggling to get bronze in B-4 and didn't pick it up for almost twenty years. GT3's extremely difficult license tests did not make a good first impression.

Teakanji's guide has been helpful and I've posted my progress in his thread.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm surprised by the reaction of GT7 here. I've talked to my pals about GT that I know are into it and they tell me the reaction is overblown and that GT7 is the best GT since 4. They say only specific players with specific tastes that have to collect everything or collect one specific thing are throwing their arms up. Both have said GT7 is one of the best games they've played all year and that it will offer years of content and upgrades. I'm really looking forward to it, especially GT Cafe, which promises build upon the cozy and relaxing GT feel that I love about GT4 so much.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I play with controller and have absolutely no idea why you would assume someone new to sim racers would play with a wheel set up outright. I've adjusted to GT3 difficulty. In any case, the license tests, the very thing you suggest to concentrate on, were what I found the hardest especially as a teenager. They were utterly demoralizing. Especially getting Gold's. I gave it back to my friend after struggling to get bronze in B-4 and didn't pick it up for almost twenty years. GT3's extremely difficult license tests did not make a good first impression.

Teakanji's guide has been helpful and I've posted my progress in his thread.
Those were times when games were still designed to challenge you and they didn’t give you everything easily. In GT3 license tests were still perhaps the only thing that were a some kind of challenge even for advanced players. All the other content (races) were easy to win. Also the gold reward cars were obtainable in other ways too.

In GT2 there were still some cars entirely locked behind gold wall like GT One ’99.

Last edited:
Those were times when games were still designed to challenge you and they didn’t give you everything easily. In GT3 license tests were still perhaps the only thing that were a some kind of challenge even for advanced players. All the other content (races) were easy to win. Also the gold reward cars were obtainable in other ways too.

In GT2 there were still some cars entirely locked behind gold wall like GT One ’99.
I'm not advanced but I have noticed that as my skills improve GT3 is much, much easier than 4. 4 is so good and one of the best games I've ever played.

Honestly I'm surprised by the reaction of GT7 here. I've talked to my pals about GT that I know are into it and they tell me the reaction is overblown and that GT7 is the best GT since 4. They say only specific players with specific tastes that have to collect everything or collect one specific thing are throwing their arms up. Both have said GT7 is one of the best games they've played all year and that it will offer years of content and upgrades. I'm really looking forward to it, especially GT Cafe, which promises build upon the cozy and relaxing GT feel that I love about GT4 so much.
While GT7 obviously has problems, as someone who has played a lot of PC sims ever since the Geoff Crammond days but had never played a GT game before GT7, I really like GT7. I think it hits that sweetspot between a game and a simulator that is very hard to achieve - most PC simulators are a failure at being games, most arcade/simcade games fail at being simulators. I can see how GT7 would be disappointing if you play a lot of it at once, but that was not my approach (I don't have time to spend more than 1h per day playing games), and by playing ~30 minutes most days since it was launched, it took me almost 6 months to gold everything in the game, and I am nowhere near having all the cars. So for me the game still has plenty of content left. I do wish there were at least a handful more tracks, though.

I am aware that I am part of a minority here because I can't compare GT7 to previous versions, and that I don't play a lot of it - which I suspect are the main problems people have with GT7.

GT7 changes your life where you become a full time farmer - for credits lol. The older versions were a lot more fun to play to me.
While I get your point about farming for credit’s etc. I still find GT7 really enjoyable. For me, it’s the reasons why you play a game that make it enjoyable or not! I have a full time job so my PlayStation is really for winding down after a hard days work. For those that are playing to get all the cars, I can totally see why they wouldn’t enjoy it, especially with the overall low rewards available!!

GT7 is a very mixed bag.

Techincally, it's the best yet, in terms of the choice of cars, the customisation, graphics and physics, but in other ways it's the worst in the series. The career mode (cafe included) is both short and pretty dire. Races are just not fun, with the chase-the-rabbit format being more obvious than ever. Race payouts compared to car prices are pitiful, which earning to buy cars no fun even if you're not trying to collect all of them. It's not just the collectors up in arms. I've been on this forum since GT5 and this game has honestly had the worst reception yet, among people with all kinds of playstyles.

Not to mention the online aspect of the game has been unreliable to put it kindly. On principle, the implementation of microtransactions and the in-game economy being revolved around them has been the worst yet, and people are rightly upset about that. This is to name just a few of the issues that many people have with the game.

That's not to say it's terrible, or not fun. I play it (and enjoy it) almost daily, but it's definitely not been the same experience as the old games. The old games had flaws, but were still easy to enjoy. This time around I've found it hard to enjoy the game because the more enjoyable aspects are often crowded with stupid, anti-consumer decisions that really do affect the experience. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy the game, but the negative feedback has been justified.

It's exact what the others have said, it has the potential to be a great game. Driving, graphics etc are all top notch but it's massively affected by their commercial decisions - cars that go up in price while being massively expensive to entice MTX transactions, drip feeding content, the lack of classic tracks, low payout for most events, extremely poor odds on the Roulette wheel, unable to sell cars etc. To get the cars they want, many players have to keep replaying the same events, which detracts from the fun significantly. The online aspect is a complete joke and I gave up on it after trying it for 2 weeks. Because I'm a huge GT fan (been playing since the first one), I keep hoping they will fix the issues but they seem to keep creating new ones.

The only life this game is changing is a fanboy's, kaz can do nothing wrong type guy.

This game as it sits imo is 6/10. All those paid reviews calling it 8.0 or higher are duds.

Life changing GT games were GT2, GT3, GT4 (in no particular order). GT7 is 2nd to last in the GT series. Its 2022 and these guys have had nearly 30 years to perfect it yet they still disappoint. Maybe they should hire Porsche engineering team where they some how improve the 911 every generation.

A lot of the complaints are valid, but yes there is a lot of people heavily over-exaggerating the game's faults. I mean the game has a ~2.0/10 user score on Metacritic. If anyone tries to tell you the game is a 2 out of 10, they're deluded. How anyone can look at all the strengths of the game and give it a 2 is beyond me. I think a lot of the community is very immature and acting like GT7 is the worst game to exist on the face of the earth..
Anyway, point is, GT7 has its flaws, but if you stay in these forums too long it'll look like the game has no positives. Which is not true at all, aside from those problems, it is still an amazing game. For some reason, a large part of the community seems to have taken for granted those good points and completely ignored them. It's usually the same complaints from the same people anyway. I can certainly look past the game's flaws, acknowledge them, and also acknowledge the positives. For some reason judging by these forums, the community gets stuck complaining about the flaws and blind themselves to the upsides. Or they just love to complain.
If you don't read too much into these forums, trust me you'll love the game - especially if you love certain aspects from the past entries such as tuning and visual mods, graphics, which have massively improved in this game. Don't get me started on the sound design.

A lot of the complaints that got users to review bomb the game to a score of 2.0 have been addressed. It's not a perfect game, but it's far from a 2/10 score, and you will enjoy it!

Sorry for the long post! I needed to rant a bit.

Last edited:
I'm really happy for you that you've enjoyed the previous entries in GT so much and are now enjoying 7. There is a lot of discontent among the fanbase with regards to how GT7 has been handled thus far, but if you're enjoying it, that's all that should matter to you. There are a lot of justified critiques here, but it can get quite toxic if you let it get to you. Please don't let us ruin your enjoyment of the game.

GT5 was my first Gran Turismo. Where I differ from you is that I’ve always deeply loved cars, but as you say, GT furthered that passion and provided such a deep respect for cars and the culture and industry behind them.

If/when you pick up 7 I think you’ll see both why people are frustrated and why people praise it. It’s by far the best in terms of driving feel, and the visuals and time/weather simulation are amazing. Presentation is classy and peaceful. Photo mode is amazing, and scapes give an incredibly diverse pallet of locations to photograph or just gawk at your cars. With customization being added back in and more expansive than ever, combined with the livery editor from Sport, it provides the deepest sense of ownership of any game I’ve played.

However, the campaign is linear and doesn’t let you explore at your own pace, and it’s incredibly short and repetitive. You’ll probably find it’s surprisingly small if you’re coming straight from GT4. AI cars usually start a quarter to half a lap ahead of you and are largely using the same programming from GT4 with little evolution. Many kinds of cars don’t get featured in the campaign. Used cars are artificially locked for around a month at a time. Many supercars are locked behind invites that can only be won from loot boxes you can only get once per day and in a few campaign rewards. Some simple features like selecting a track have a strangely high amount of tedious menus to go through.

PD made just about all the parts incredible, but then just kinda stapled some of them together in ways that don’t really fit cohesively. Despite my misgivings I still recommend it to people, you included.

Last edited:
I didn't make this thread for you guys to pms over GT7. Frankly, I don't give a ****.
You made this thread in GT7 subforum though.

Even if you post this in a general GT forum, people are still going to talk about how bad GT7 is in it's current state because it is the newest, most anticipated entry right now. It's not their fault that the game is really divisive right now.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm surprised by the reaction of GT7 here. I've talked to my pals about GT that I know are into it and they tell me the reaction is overblown and that GT7 is the best GT since 4.
This isn't really that high a bar to clear. In fact, not being better than an 18 year old game isn't great either.

GT7 does fine, but it's far from the genre defining games that GT3 and GT4 were, and it arguably doesn't even make particularly good use of all the things that it does do really well.
I didn't make this thread for you guys to pms over GT7. Frankly, I don't give a ****.
So post in the GT3 or GT4 sub-forums?

Yeah, Man. The Citta d’Aria in the BMW F1 and Delta S4 were otherworldly. Plus, tracks like New York and Grand Canyon. PD were hitting hard with introducing new locations to players.

Then why didn't GT5, GT6 or GT Sport clear it?
They did, as does GT7. I think for a lot of people they perhaps didn't clear the bar by enough, given the amount of time they had to develop them. I personally enjoyed all three, and GT7 is the first time it's been truly difficult to enjoy (but again, I'm still having a lot of fun with it). Like @Quakebass said, it's a very good game, stapled together in ways that make no sense, and in my opinion are not customer-friendly.

The OP's reaction has been a bit strong, and frankly kind of childish, to what have been genuine and justified concerns. Nobody should expect to put a post up like they have and not have people voice what are completely valid concerns, if anything to temper expectations. Nobody here has been 'pms'ing - it's honestly one of the more reasoned critiques I've seen here, as opposed to negativity for the sake of it.

The 2/10 review bombing as it sits is certainly an exaggeration, but one would like to think it contributed to bringing the game to a more playable state after PD nerfed the already low payouts after release. It's one of the only ways consumers can voice concerns in a way certain publishers/developers will listen. They could've at least changed the review-bomb scores back to a more reasonable level after PD improved things, though.

At the end of the day, though, all the people here, even the most negative, love Gran Turismo, and want to see it be a great game. While the negativity does go too far in some cases, it's always out of love for the franchise, and a desire to see it do well. Their disappointment is understandable.

GT Sport for me was a siginificant chance. With gran turismo in new era, with new graphic models and engine sounds. And the soundtrack was a gamechanger.

GT7 not so far. It's for me more a Gt Sport 2.0 as a "changing game" for me.

Last edited:
Hi,

I do not have GT7 but there's no general GT forum here. I've been recently playing Gran Turismo 3 and 4. As a teenager I tried GT3 and I wanted to like it but found it incredibly hard. It didn't click. Half a life time later I picked it up again and really dug it. Then I bought GT4 and really fell in love. This was a few weeks back.

I've been updating my progress and asking for tips in this thread made by @TeaKanji

In any case, I'll be forward and say I was never a car person. Cars were just a means to an end. In the USA, in most places of living, you need a car to get by. So I've used cars to get around but never really respected or loved them. Ever since getting into Gran Turismo though, that's changed. It started when I first started to pay attention to the various vehicles on the road. Then I was able to pick out Miata's on the street just by eyeballing them, or correctly guessing car brands I used to not care about. Then it began with my own car. In the past few weeks since getting into GT I've changed my relationship with cars. Gran Turismo teaches you not only to love car culture but also its history and to treat our four wheeled friends with respect. I started hanging out with mechanics, I learned how to change my own oil, I helped take apart an engine, I can change tires and take apart brake pads. I've gone to ChrisFix's YouTube and started using his videos to clean my car and make it look and feel new and my car is really thanking me. I've named her Yazmin.

I started to watch Initial D and Top Gear to understand cars. Started watching YouTube videos on the layout of cars and how the parts work, and how to fix them. I'm currently applying to a auto technician job just so I can learn more about cars and my hope is to get a job in the vehicle industry.

There was one video in particular by ChrisFix that really made me fall in love with cars and it's this one where he diagnoses a cars starter system.

Gran Turismo is really life changing. :)

From what I've seen of GT7 is looks really good! I can't wait to play it.

Lovely thread. :)

You made this thread in GT7 subforum though.

Even if you post this in a general GT forum, people are still going to talk about how bad GT7 is in it's current state because it is the newest, most anticipated entry right now. It's not their fault that the game is really divisive right now.
There is no general GT forum, the other GT game forums have less activity, and others have posted genersl GT threads to the GT7 forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back