Gran Turismo series has passed 90 million sales

• Thread starter Fezzik
  • 58 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

An anniversary message from Kazunori Yamauchi.

I was over in Xbox land for GT3 to GT6 so never played them, that video is making me regret some choices.

To put the figure into perspective, that's just outside the top 20 best selling franchises ever, ahead of the last reported figures for Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Donkey Kong, Tomb Raider, Animal Crossing, Halo, Smash Bros and Metal Gear. Tremendous achievement.

Last edited:
The last update was 80m in April 2018, some 6 months after GTS launched.

This means they must be including secondary titles in their figure and GT7 has not sold well at all compared to the other main line games. Obviously the wiki numbers aren't ultra accurate but with those numbers and the quoted post, I think it's easy to conclude that GT7 has sold well short of 10 million copies thus far. Perhaps time will be kind to it?

Last edited:
This means they must be including secondary titles in their figure and GT7 has not sold well at all compared to the other main line games.
5 million at this point (after 10 months) isn't bad compared to life time sales of the other titles, BUT it's difficult to see how GT7 could go on to match GT4/5 numbers unless they pull out some spectacular updates next year.

Not sure how accurate these sales numbers are. If they are even close we can assume 18 million GT7 sales if they only count main line games in that 90 million. If they are including the secondary titles, it's only 5 million sales for GT7.
It's all sales, there is absolutely zero reason they would pick and choose which Gran Turismo titles are included. There's also no way GT7 will have sold 18 million copies in less than a year, the numbers just don't add up for that. As for GT7 not selling well compared to other games, it is less than a year old, other games have had years to reach the numbers they are currently at.

Last edited:
5 million at this point (after 10 months) isn't bad compared to life time sales of the other titles, BUT it's difficult to see how GT7 could go on to match GT4/5 numbers unless they pull out some spectacular updates next year.
It'll sell over the course of the generation, until GT8 is out. GT Sport for example had a slower start sales-wise than GT7 and still managed to end up with over 14m players (players != sales, but since the game was never on PS+, 10m+ sales is very likely).

It'll sell over the course of the generation, until GT8 is out. GT Sport for example had a slower start sales-wise than GT7 and still managed to end up with over 14m players (players != sales, but since the game was never on PS+, 10m+ sales is very likely).
As the PS5 supply issue eases and more become available, it'll sell more. There's evidence from other crossgen games that the majority of sales were on PS5, despite the larger install base of PS4.

To compare with the last mainline game, GT6 took 3 years to sell 5 million.

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate these sales numbers are. If they are even close we can assume 18 million GT7 sales if they only count main line games in that 90 million. If they are including the secondary titles, it's only 5 million sales for GT7.
No one has official (total) numbers for GTS or GT7. What we can see from individual territories is GT7 is tracking ahead of GTS.

All we can say with any certainty is over 10m copies of Gran Turismo have been sold since the last update. Which was some 6-7 months after GTS launched. The 90m figure isn't set in stone, it could be 91m, it could be 99m. We've only got 10m installment updates. Although I suspect it's under 95m, as that's a nice round figure for PR.

So at this point GT7 sales could be anywhere between 5m-8m, before the Black Friday and Holiday sale seasons taken into account. The big advantage GT7 has over GTS is we're still (relatively) early in the gen, with only 25m PS5 units sold. With Sony expecting over 100m PS5 sales.

Last edited:
I think this is a very good estimate based on the only data we have access to. Whether that is good or not is entirely up to the person you ask heh.
TLOU II sold 10m in a little under 2 years. Up until GOW:R, that was the fastest selling (launch period) PS4/5 title. Although titles like Spider-Man almost certainly outpaced it as the months rolled on.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo Celebrates 25th Anniversary with 90 Million Copies Sold

Polyphony Digital has released a special announcement marking the 25th anniversary of the Gran Turismo series, revealing that more than 90 million copies of Gran Turismo games have made their way into players’ hands thus far...

The celebration video “forgot” to mark the arrival of the PS5. I’ll take that as a sign that PD still takes the PS4 very seriously, and that I shouldn’t feel sad still being on PS4 Pro.

Just before GTS launch in October 2017 the sales on the official polyphony website indicated 77 million, so we have 13 million copies sold between GTS and GT7 (probably 8 million for GTS in 4 years and 5 million for GT7 in 10 months)

screenshot.1.png

No one has official (total) numbers for GTS or GT7. What we can see from individual territories is GT7 is tracking ahead of GTS.

All we can say with any certainty is over 10m copies of Gran Turismo have been sold since the last update. Which was some 6-7 months after GTS launched. The 90m figure isn't set in stone, it could be 91m, it could be 99m. We've only got 10m installment updates. Although I suspect it's under 95m, as that's a nice round figure for PR.

So at this point GT7 sales could be anywhere between 5m-8m, before the Black Friday and Holiday sale seasons taken into account. The big advantage GT7 has over GTS is we're still (relatively) early in the gen, with only 25m PS5 units sold. With Sony expecting over 100m PS5 sales.
I suspect it's only just over 90m, probably still below 91m. There's little reason to delay an announcement for several months.

As a coincidence, my department at work just passed the £1m revenue recognised milestone for the year today, guess when we announced that? Today.

It's not the same thing sure, but you blow your trumpet when you can, you don't go "oh that's great news we can share to make ourselves look good, let's hang onto it for a while". Maybe you do for days, a few weeks perhaps for numbers this large to put some thought and preparation into the annoucement, but it won't be long, certainly not months which is what it would take to generate in the region of 5m sales.

Last edited:
I suspect it's only just over 90m, there's little reason to delay an announcement for several months. As a coincidence, my department at work just passed the £1m revenue recognised milestone for the year today, guess when we announced that? Today. It's not the same thing, but you blow your trumpet when you can you don't go "oh that's great news we can share to make ourselves look good, let's hang onto it for a while". Maybe days, a couple of weeks perhaps for numbers this large, but it's won't be months.

A delay of months?

“In the last 25 years, the cumulative sales total of the series have reached over 90 million copies as of November 16, 2022.”

A delay of months?

“In the last 25 years, the cumulative sales total of the series have reached over 90 million copies as of November 16, 2022.”
Good point, so it was a matter of weeks not months. The point stands, in the last month there's no chance a further 5 million units have sold or close to that.

Last edited:
I suspect it's only just over 90m, probably still below 91m. There's little reason to delay an announcement for several months.
The article is to mark Gran Turismo's Japanese launch on December 23rd, '97. November 16th '22 is probably the most upto date data they have access too. Over 90m is a nice round figure for PR. They'd probably expect to sell 1-2m over the Holiday period, but that can't be verified for some time.

For the 25th Anniversary they should a couple of things release any content they're holding back or give all players 25 million in credits in celebration of 25 years of Gran Turismo. I know neither will happen but hey I can ask right? That said I actually enjoyed the video it was a great montage

Last edited:
Back