Gran Turismo series has passed 90 million sales

• Thread starter Fezzik
  • 58 comments
kjb
For the 25th Anniversary they should a couple of things release any content they're holding back or give all players 25 million in credits in celebration of 25 years of Gran Turismo. I know neither will happen but hey I can ask right? That said I actually enjoyed the video it was a great montage
They could at least throw us a 50% discount on the microtransaction bundles.

The article is to mark Gran Turismo's Japanese launch on December 23rd, '97. November 16th '22 is probably the most upto date data they have access too. Over 90m is a nice round figure for PR. They'd probably expect to sell 1-2m over the Holiday period, but that can't be verified for some time.
Maybe, but my point was that they have not held onto that annoucnement long enough to sell a further 5m copies, which is about what it had sold between launch and 16th November. So another 1m between 16th November and now is fairly realistic, 1.5m tops isn't completley out there for Christmas. I was simply countering the 95m estimation, which I know was just that, an estimation and not a statement of fact.

As for the data, they'll likely have access to the data daily, I'd be shocked if they didn't. If you sell games on Play Store (I have done that) or on Steam (I've not done that but seen the data availalbe) you can see how many people have purchased your app, how many have instaled it, what device they're on etc. The data availalbe to these guys is detailed and live, there's zero reason the PlayStation store wouldn't be.

Last edited:
I appreciate what they have done over the years, especially in the beginning for the car game genre. Most likely in my lifetime will not spend as many hours with anyone one game series as the GT franchise. Unless I am still enjoying racing games in ten or so years when retire from work in the real world. I was always a loyal GT person, even when Forza motorsports was becoming poplar.

For me the GT series has not evolved enough, especially with the offline racing. It is no longer fun for me and not the best use of my free time. Really is a shame though as the graphics are class leading, car selection is good. I would most likely enjoy the game if the ability to obtain even say 25% of the top tier cars did not take an insane amount of time (especially when grinding is mandatory). I would even pay $100 more for the game to say have 90% of the cars in my garage or even maybe reduced by 75%. I do like photo mode, except was not really improved for GT7, lots more scapes - however most are not good for photos of cars. I would say that there are lots of GT7 players that have incredible liveries and great photos - so kudos to them.

Great achievement for PD/Sony and the Gran Turismo team. It was my first ever game (alongside Driver for PS1)... and have played every game since then.

Just evolve further and communicate with "us" more. Together we could make Gran Turismo a far greater car gaming experience.

Great achievement as a franchise, but GT7 doesn’t advance any aspect of it I feel. Gt Sport was a bigger step, it introduced sport mode and VR.
GT7 is a step back until vr support is back.

My first GT game was GT4, I didn't knew about the franchise before and when I was browsing a gaming web store I kept seeing this advertised banner of GT4, and at the same time I wanted something new. I always looked that the same game franchises, so I clicked on the banner for GT4 and read the description and my mind was blown. Over 700 cars and over 50 tracks. My favorite racing game at the time was NFS Hot Pursuit 2, and that game had about 50 cars. So GT4 was a game I neeeeded, and kept going to the Gran Turismo website looking at the car list and all those short gameplay clips and dreaming about the game. and I got it about a year later after begging my mom to buy it. And got great memories after that.

Congrats Kaz and the PD crew

mef
Great achievement as a franchise, but GT7 doesn’t advance any aspect of it I feel. Gt Sport was a bigger step, it introduced sport mode and VR.
GT7 is a step back until vr support is back.
Imo, this is disingenuous. GT7 was not a step back for the series when compared to GT Sport. If there was any game that was a "step back" for the series, it was GT Sport since that game was lacking revolutionary features from previous games in the series that "advanced the series".

When GT5 and 6 introduced dynamic weather and time of day transitions, GT Sport was missing all of that. When GT5 and 6 added course creator and a more robust B-spec mode, GT Sport was missing all of that. GT Sport also had significantly less cars and variety than most of the other games in the series. GT Sport also launched without any semblance of a proper singleplayer mode, which turned away a lot of people who were not interested in Sport mode, or online in general. Even with smaller singleplayer content patched in later, it's still the weakest in the series. GT Sport's tuning aspect was also much weaker than GT7's. There's so much more to mention, but I'm sure you get the point by now.

While Sport mode and VR were cool additions to the series to be fair, what the series lost in exchange for those 2 things was not worth it.

Now, you compare all of that to GT7. GT7 has all of those features GT Sport is missing, baring B-spec and course creator. GT7 advanced the series by having the best dynamic weather and time of day features and physics simulation in the series to date, even factoring in so much minutia such as drying line strategies. The overall driving experience and physics simulation in GT7 is the series's best to date. And, say what you will about GT7's Cafe mode/singleplayer when compared to older GT games, at least it was there on release, and it is far better than Sport's offering, along with missions mode. While this hasn't happened yet obviously, GT7 will likely get VR support after PSVR2 launches, and if it does, it'll likely be much less limiting than GT Sport's.

While GT7 may not have been a large leap in advancement compared to games like GT5 when speaking of just raw features, it still pushed the series forward and was most certainly not a step back.

It's fine if you have differing opinions on which GT you like more or less, but saying that GT7 was a step backward for the series, when ignoring all of the glaring faults GT Sport has is very disingenuous in my honest opinion. At least GT7 is feature complete.

They gave us extra vehicles at both dealerships.

Hot menu collections, and alot of swappable vehicles for the engines you may get by completing those extra menus..

And the Porsche spyder is 4.5mil, down from 6mil last time..

GT7 at release may not have been perfect but at the moment the game is in a pretty good state.

Well done PD! Hope they can keep improving the GT experience.

No. But it'd at least be something to the people who already own the game and won't get any benefit from GT7 being 50% off on the PS Store.
If they really cared about the legacy of the series and all the customers that have devoted so many hours over the years. I really do not understand why they refuse to do much at all for the players. Why not bonus prize weekends once a month and or reduced car prizes. If not once a month, why not holiday weekends.

I have never really played that much of Forza motorsports. I would think that next version of Forza Motorsports would have a good opertunity to take a lot of the negative feed back on GT7 as part of their game structure. Since I have moved mainly on to sim racing on PC. Most likely will consider Forza Motorsports when it is realized as long as supports Monza DD wheel. Which would be questionable, as my understanding they are not the best at wheel support.

If they really cared about the legacy of the series and all the customers that have devoted so many hours over the years. I really do not understand why they refuse to do much at all for the players. Why not bonus prize weekends once a month and or reduced car prizes. If not once a month, why not holiday weekends.

I have never really played that much of Forza motorsports. I would think that next version of Forza Motorsports would have a good opertunity to take a lot of the negative feed back on GT7 as part of their game structure. Since I have moved mainly on to sim racing on PC. Most likely will consider Forza Motorsports when it is realized as long as supports Monza DD wheel. Which would be questionable, as my understanding they are not the best at wheel support.
At least they've put a few extra cars in the LCD and UCD shops today so that people who are desperate to get them after months of wait will finally get the privilege of spending their credits. And if they're short on credits, well there's always their credit cards.

Imo, this is disingenuous. GT7 was not a step back for the series when compared to GT Sport. If there was any game that was a "step back" for the series, it was GT Sport since that game was lacking revolutionary features from previous games in the series that "advanced the series".

When GT5 and 6 introduced dynamic weather and time of day transitions, GT Sport was missing all of that. When GT5 and 6 added course creator and a more robust B-spec mode, GT Sport was missing all of that. GT Sport also had significantly less cars and variety than most of the other games in the series. GT Sport also launched without any semblance of a proper singleplayer mode, which turned away a lot of people who were not interested in Sport mode, or online in general. Even with smaller singleplayer content patched in later, it's still the weakest in the series. GT Sport's tuning aspect was also much weaker than GT7's. There's so much more to mention, but I'm sure you get the point by now.

While Sport mode and VR were cool additions to the series to be fair, what the series lost in exchange for those 2 things was not worth it.

Now, you compare all of that to GT7. GT7 has all of those features GT Sport is missing, baring B-spec and course creator. GT7 advanced the series by having the best dynamic weather and time of day features and physics simulation in the series to date, even factoring in so much minutia such as drying line strategies. The overall driving experience and physics simulation in GT7 is the series's best to date. And, say what you will about GT7's Cafe mode/singleplayer when compared to older GT games, at least it was there on release, and it is far better than Sport's offering, along with missions mode. While this hasn't happened yet obviously, GT7 will likely get VR support after PSVR2 launches, and if it does, it'll likely be much less limiting than GT Sport's.

While GT7 may not have been a large leap in advancement compared to games like GT5 when speaking of just raw features, it still pushed the series forward and was most certainly not a step back.

It's fine if you have differing opinions on which GT you like more or less, but saying that GT7 was a step backward for the series, when ignoring all of the glaring faults GT Sport has is very disingenuous in my honest opinion. At least GT7 is feature complete.
This! GT7 has shortcomings and may not please everyone, but it's not a step backwards. I enjoyed the first two months like crazy and it was worth all 100 euros spent. Amazing dynamic weather, great physics, nice graphics, great car detail, fun cafe menu, challenging missions and licenses. I'm sorry that there are those who can't appreciate a game like GranTurismo7.

Congratulations to PD and Sony, incredible achievement and amazing longevity for the series. GT7 is such a good base, let’s hope they make the asked-for changes going into GT8, or give us options to do it ourselves and share them (custom races, events and championships).

GT7 at release may not have been perfect but at the moment the game is in a pretty good state.

Well done PD! Hope they can keep improving the GT experience.
You're calling the game in pretty good state if it still has terrible AI, terrible UI/UX, FOMO MTX system, etc.?
I too would like to have unbiased discourse... but we are on GT planet after all :gtpflag:
This place is the unbiased one though to actually acknowledge the franchise's bad parts? Though it's more on GT7 rather than the earlier GTs...

This place is the unbiased one though
People do aknowledge the MTX,the user score tanked when people learned about the in game economy,articles were made talking about the server shutdown,MTX and always online.
It's just that reviewers also find lots of good things in the game

Last edited:
People do aknowledge the MTX,the user score tanked when people learned about the in game economy,articles were made talking about the server shutdown,MTX and always online.
It's just that reviewers also find lots of good things in the game
The user score represents the real deserving score the game gets.
Any good things aren't worth mentioning, doing that just sweeps the bad things under the rug (throughout whole franchise) and making PD think neglecting that is fine.

The user score represents the real deserving score the game gets.
Any good things aren't worth mentioning, doing that just sweeps the bad things under the rug (throughout whole franchise) and making PD think neglecting that is fine.
If the reviewer finds positive things about a subject he will mention it....that's how reviews work.....i don't really understand your line of thinking here.

You're calling the game in pretty good state if it still has terrible AI, terrible UI/UX, FOMO MTX system, etc.?

This place is the unbiased one though to actually acknowledge the franchise's bad parts? Though it's more on GT7 rather than the earlier GTs...
AI has always been like this, but if you drive well, it doesnt bother you much. UI/UX is pretty bad but the loading times are so amazing on ps5 I dont mind the jumping around.. MTX is bad but they have been giving pretty decent rewards for the weekly lap challenge and things like 25th anniversary races.

Again all your complaints are valid, but I've logged something like 150 hours and personal the game is in good shape and I got my money's worth.

Back