Gran Turismo Sport - Ferrari LaFerrari Driveablity

Australia
Australia
Fethmus_Mioma
Ever since the game's release last year October, I've been eager (as did many other GT players) to get my hands on one of the awesome hypercars that belong in a trio along with the Mclaren P1 and Porsche 918. But as soon as I got to test drive it, it was horrible and constantly wheel spinning, even with TC on the default 3 setting. I've had to do some tuning under the hood to make it at least more driveable than the supposedly stock counterpart. For example, things like tuning the torque acceleration and torque braking, and setting those figures to around 5-10 instead of 25+. Still, there is some amount of wheel spin, but much more less of it, but hinders the car from brutal acceleration it's known for. I'm really sad that the car still drives and behaves erratically like this 8 months later whereas other games portray it in action so well.

So, all I ask is that we spread this post as a community and share it as much as we can so that the message can get across hopefully to PD! Even if the car drives like any RWD car in the game (Dodge Viper SRT, BMW M4 coupe, etc), I would be much happier if the car was at least more fun to drive. IRL, the car does have 949bhp but doesn't continue spinning it's wheels even through 4th gear! Please PD fixed this!!!

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

(P.S. this is my first post I've ever made on this community, and I'm a new member too!)

With 949 HP sending only to the rear wheels, don’t expect the LaFerrari to be an easy car.

But with tuning and practice, it’s actually one of the best N class cars in the game. No need to even increase the power at all.

Here’s a little guide for you. You’ll see my setup at the start:

I use the LaFerrari in all its fury on the La Festa Cavallino events. ;)

Ever since the game's release last year October, I've been eager (as did many other GT players) to get my hands on one of the awesome hypercars that belong in a trio along with the Mclaren P1 and Porsche 918. But as soon as I got to test drive it, it was horrible and constantly wheel spinning, even with TC on the default 3 setting. I've had to do some tuning under the hood to make it at least more driveable than the supposedly stock counterpart. For example, things like tuning the torque acceleration and torque braking, and setting those figures to around 5-10 instead of 25+. Still, there is some amount of wheel spin, but much more less of it, but hinders the car from brutal acceleration it's known for. I'm really sad that the car still drives and behaves erratically like this 8 months later whereas other games portray it in action so well.

So, all I ask is that we spread this post as a community and share it as much as we can so that the message can get across hopefully to PD! Even if the car drives like any RWD car in the game (Dodge Viper SRT, BMW M4 coupe, etc), I would be much happier if the car was at least more fun to drive. IRL, the car does have 949bhp but doesn't continue spinning it's wheels even through 4th gear! Please PD fixed this!!!

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

(P.S. this is my first post I've ever made on this community, and I'm a new member too!)

Hello and welcome to GTP.

It's the tire model problem ;) once the tires start spinning they cannot stop spinning until they gain "full grip" again. Also, it's not just LaFerrari, it's basically any high powered car, be it RWD or FWD. Just try accelerating from stand still to 100kph / 60mph. The car is supposed to do this in about 3 seconds I believe... The GTS results are shocking I know.

Furthermore, a new tire model should be on the way to GTS as it was tested at the 1st GT World Tour at Nurburgring.

And even after the tires don't spin anymore, the tires feels like they sort of are. It is a weird feeling, to me it feels like the clutch is slipping.

More on this topic here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/flaws-of-the-tyre-model-simulation.374616/

Hi, did you get to drive the LaF in real life?

Dude. You don't have to have driven these kind of cars to know basics about how the tires work and how grip is being lost and gained again.

Last edited:

Here is a one lap comparison video between Assetto and GTS LaFerrari at the Nordscleife.
Surprisingly the match quite well, for example in corner speeds. No doubt the excessive wheel spin is a problem in GT Sport, so the gas pedal has to be treated accordingly.

Hopefully the new tyre model will release soon and solves the longitudinal acceleration problem. Also I believe PoDi should introduce new set of street performance tyres for modern supercars, "Sport: SuperSofts". The current Sport Softs are just too slippery, not only with LaFerrari.
:)

Here is a one lap comparison video between Assetto and GTS LaFerrari at the Nordscleife.
Surprisingly the match quite well, for example in corner speeds. No doubt the excessive wheel spin is a problem in GT Sport, so the gas pedal has to be treated accordingly.

Hopefully the new tyre model will release soon and solves the longitudinal acceleration problem. Also I believe PoDi should introduce new set of street performance tyres for modern supercars, "Sport: SuperSofts". The current Sport Softs are just too slippery, not only with LaFerrari.

I almost posted a similar thing. I do a lot of cross checking between AC and GT Sport, and besides the initial launch tire issues in GTS, these games a re very close. I managed almost identical times (with identical settings, of course, taken over fron GTS to AC - i'm talking about LSD, camber, toe and suspension) in the Ferrari F40, Mercedes Sauber C9 and McLaren 650S GT3.

GTS's only issues from being the greatest sim (overall) is an improved tire model - really hope this will come. However it's been slightly improved in 1.21.

Oh and BTW, I'm not 100% sure, but i think the "tire model" issue might actually have more to do with the LSD standard settings in GTS. I took over the LSD settings from AC to GTS on the McLaren 650s GT3 (Initial: 5 (AC) vs 10 (GTS), Breaking: 55 vs 20, Accelerating: 60 vs 40), and doing a standing start I found the 650s GT3 MUCH more manageable and behaving very similarly to AC.

Go ahead, give it a go and tell me what you experience. If you have AC, try copying the LSD levels from AC over to their counterpart in GTS and (possibly) be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a thread a month ago about how it's ridiculous that the LaFerrari and several other super cars, have zero downforce at the front. They have air channels and splitters like Le Mans LMP and GT1 cars and those have loads of front downforce!

I won this car a while back and still havent driven it since the 458 gt3 cleans up on the ferrari races.

I dream of a day when the Porsche 918 and McLaren P1 make it in. I feel like the N700 plus super duper hypercars will all suffer from nerfing perhaps to seperate them from the Grp.1 cars.

In Forza the hypercars are close to being undriveable spaceships,

How does the Veneno fair for you guys? Its not quite up to the electric hybrid hypercars but it is n800... my free copy seems to drive ok (no way on gods green earth I'd pay for a Veneno).

I agree its basically undrivable on anything except RH or better tires under the current tire model. If they arent going to fix that properly they do need to add a special tire between RH and SS.

Something more like a Nitto that I would put on my IRL cars to go drag racing on.

Interesting that you should get similar times from these two games, howsomever, so as to seperate these two games in the reader's mind's a little better, I will just say that one of those LaF's "drives" like its clutch is broken, is running on real mahogany tyres and has the throttle response of a mobility scooter. The other is a waywardly fast peach.

The Laferrari feels perfectly fine to me.

What it feels like is a 1000 HP, Rwd car on sports tires.

If you were driving this car IRL you wouldn't even be getting close to being wide-open-throttle.

I drove the La Ferrari on Monza in Project Cars 2 to compare with GT Sport on the same track yesterday. My fastest time was a 1:48 straight out of the box without any tuning on soft tyres. It is far more driveable compared to GT Sport, with a lot less wheel spin and better braking. Suprisingly easy to drive fast, something I also found with the Huracan. My time in GT Sport was a 1:51, and I struggled just to get that on soft tyres. Wheelspin up until 4th gear and horrendous braking distances. In Project Cars 2, I hit the brakes at the 200 metre board before the first corner and the car pulls up no problem. In GT Sport, I would go straight off if I braked at the 200 metre board. I feel as though GT Sport makes road cars harder to drive than they should be; the physics need a serious overhaul for them.

In AC, the LaF grips in 3rd gear better than GTS in 4th gear. Should also compare PC2, would be interesting to see too.

Thanks

Wheelspin up until 4th gear and horrendous braking distances. In Project Cars 2, I hit the brakes at the 200 metre board before the first corner and the car pulls up no problem. In GT Sport, I would go straight off if I braked at the 200 metre board. I feel as though GT Sport makes road cars harder to drive than they should be; the physics need a serious overhaul for them.

If you have Forza 7, it'd be great if you gave the LaF a run in that. I feel that its about the same in Forza... its like the rocket powered speedboat on roller skates feel that most of the hypercars have.

I feel like the engines have an issue with the 1,000hp rocketships.

Then again why does the McLaren VGT feel so good? Because it doesnt actually exist? Or the variable front wing?

It wheelspins with TC on? I've always seen TC just kill any and all wheelspin. Will have to try it later on, very strange.

TC1 is very very weak in that it doesnt pull back the throttle anywhere near adequate for the big power machines... but you may get used to it.

eg. on most cars baring the F1500, TC1 is better faster for me.

It wheelspins with TC on? I've always seen TC just kill any and all wheelspin. Will have to try it later on, very strange.
I would not say that tires spin with TC at 3. It feels very weird but it more feels like the clutch slips. If you look at LaFerrari in Assetto the RPMs naturally go up as the car gains speed. In GTS, the RPMs behave quite weirdly. They always go up like crazy, almost like the tires are spinning.

The car definitely feels more realistic in Assetto.

If GT Sport's La Ferrari had as much actual tyre grip or sensation of being planted to the surface as Assetto Corsa's version, you would clock half a minute faster lap times.
What bugs me with Gran Turismo's tyre- and/or physics model is that the better grip pretty much negates the car's weight.

P.S. This is now starting to sound like an absolute rant... But, i must say that in GordonS' video the Assetto Corsa's graphics are much more natural and closer to real life, especially the contrast.

It’s also strange how the same car hits 344 in Assetto Corsa and 360+ in GTS :odd:

(Maybe on purpose - to match the track speeds with the poor tires :D )

In Project Cars 2, I hit the brakes at the 200 metre board before the first corner and the car pulls up no problem. In GT Sport, I would go straight off if I braked at the 200 metre board.

In reality, 200 metres sounds like a very short distance. Braking distance is proportional to speed squared so if we assume that the car does 100 to 0 km/h in 30 metres (which is quite spot on, actually) it'll need 120 metres for 200 to 0 and (3x3 x 30) 270 metres for 300 to 0 km/h. Leaving the last 100 km/h out of the calculation, meaning that you'd turn into the corner at 100 km/h which you definitely won't do at Monza, would still mean a braking distance of 240 metres when braking from 300 km/h. Now, I haven't tried how much speed the car can gather on the front straight but I'd assume that it's more than 300 km/h - from 330 km/h, for example, the braking distance would already be nearly 300 metres and you'd still be doing 100 km/h at the apex.

Physics. Bloody physics.

I finally drove my LaF in its most benign form... ie. detuned to N800 831hp 91% weight at 1,142kg and on race soft on arcade mode on various tracks from the Ring to Monza etc. and I tried it in N1000 mode.

In N1000 mode its doable on the big time power circuits like Le Mans and Monza.

But even in N800 form its quite a handful on say the Ring. It seems to be very grass sensitive. You even get a sliver of tyre on the grass verge and if you apply power suddenly you could be facing the wrong way.

This is TC0 ABS on STM off.

The LaF wouldnt be my choice for fun... I wouldnt bother with it on say sport softs on Cavallino.

I also found the steering way too quick making the whole thing twitchy everywhere.

The Veneno was much more manageable at N800 but then it isnt hybrid.

It’s also strange how the same car hits 344 in Assetto Corsa and 360+ in GTS :odd:

(Maybe on purpose - to match the track speeds with the poor tires :D )

Didnt eveven manage to try top speed. On what tracks/tires?

Theres a video of a laferrari doing 360 on the italian interstate. So it's highly dependent on the conditions. Top speed in that car is definitely above 344 though. I ve seen a few youtube max speed videos and they re all above that.

I just researched online a bit about how the LaFerrari works and its different driving modes.

People seem to not know exactly how the car works.

Here's the deal:

The car has about 5 driving modes, 3 of which are relevant: Race mode, TC off mode and ESC off mode (most extreme, basically drift mode, its even advertised by Ferrari as such).

The car generally sits in Race mode (even in GTS if you check the steering wheel, its like that.)

In race race, ESC (ASM as its called in GTS) is on and TC is on on a lower level (somewhere between 1 and 2 in GTS).

If you set ASM on and TC on either 1 or 2, AND equip the car with sport soft tires (which are the equivalent of the stickiest road legal tires, such as the ones LaFerrari comes with), you won't have ANY issues pushi g the car hard and managing to keep in on the track.

As most people set their ASM off (because it's not selectable by car in GTS, and it kills maneuverability in race cars), you re basically driving the car in "drift mode" and hence its very hard to drive.

Also, regarding its acceleration in GTS. If you srt the tc to 1, floor it, let go of the breaks, it will do 100kph in about 4.5 secs. In reality it does the veryy low 3s, BUT only in launch mode. As there os no launch mode in GTS, its its to replicate.

FYI, launch mode in LaFerrari works as follows (taken over from a drivetribe article): ASM is automatically set to off, TC is automatically adjusted on the fly by the car. You slam the break and the acceleration after activating it and let go of the break. The car automatically revs to about 3000 rpm before launching, and automatically shifts into 2nd before torque begins to fall, all the while automatically adjusting the slip and TC of the car.

This is obviously impossible manually, and non reproductible without launch mode on (in reality or GTS). So as long as GTS (and AC for that matter) dont have a launch control mode for the car, don't expect that kind of acceleration. Its not how the car works.

Didnt eveven manage to try top speed. On what tracks/tires?

Theres a video of a laferrari doing 360 on the italian interstate. So it's highly dependent on the conditions. Top speed in that car is definitely above 344 though. I ve seen a few youtube max speed videos and they re all above that.
I’m not saying either one is top speed. I’m saying it’s weird that one the same distance the same car in two different games achieve 2 very different speeds.

I’m not saying either one is top speed. I’m saying it’s weird that one the same distance the same car in two different games achieve 2 very different speeds.

It has more to do with the setup, more precisely the gearing. Copy the settings from GTS over to AC and you ll get similar results.

I copied the F40 setup over from GTS to AC for example (gearing, suspension, etc) and got almost identical handling and lap time on Monza.

With 949 HP sending only to the rear wheels, don’t expect the LaFerrari to be an easy car.

But with tuning and practice, it’s actually one of the best N class cars in the game. No need to even increase the power at all.

Here’s a little guide for you. You’ll see my setup at the start:

I use the LaFerrari in all its fury on the La Festa Cavallino events. ;)

That's some good advice! Thanks, I'll definitely giver that setup a try!!

Yes I agree with you with the new tyre model. Hopefully it does change the LaFerrari's annoying acceleration and sudden spiking of the rev counts to >8k rpm when pushing down around 90% throttle (with TC on 1).

Back