Gran Turismo Sport FIA Series Season One Start Bumped Back to Mid-June

Oh right, games in the old days when there was no internet and updates never had "new features" because they did not have enough data. Games like like Gran Turismo 1 and 2...

I gotta love the excuses nowadays to allow companies to release their titles when they are mere drafts of what they should be, content- and bug-wise.
Did GT1 and GT2 they had an online component with the collaboration of FiA for eSports? NO.
Did GT1 and GT2 they had the same amount of technical work that requires a new generation game? NO.
Unfortunately, the more we go on in the technological field, the more time it takes to produce a game and do internal testing is not enough for certain functionalities prefer to let the players test the new features and then improve them; from my point of view it is something that has negative but also positive aspects;
Negatives: you do not immediately have something complete or stable to play without too much trouble.
Positive: through the community better the game in a targeted sense and if there are problems you can solve them by always having the game updated.
Unfortunately it is a physiological thing, therefore, or they are compromised if you want to continue playing, or you hang the pad to the nail.

Did GT1 and GT2 they had the same amount of technical work that requires a new generation game? NO.

Perhaps not, but that's not the only thing to consider. There were far less people working at Polyphony when they made the original Gran Turismo on PS1. At that point it was a new IP and a passion project for a mostly unknown developer. Gran Turismo 1 still took them five years.

GTS is a more complex machine, but there are also much more people and resources available to make that happen. With a studio the size of Polyphony, you can have multiple people whose only job is to oversee the design and progress of the game. You have dedicated QA tools and personnel. You have open betas, which totally weren't a thing on PS1.

Gran Turismo 2 is notoriously buggy, so I'm not entirely sure you want to use that to try and make your point. Let's just pretend you didn't say it and focus on GT1 vs GTS.

Is it easier to make a GT1 or a GTS, given the relative resources of the two? I'm not sure. I could see that making GT1 with a handful of people on a shoestring being just as challenging as making GTS, but in a different way.

I'm not sure that I'd go making excuses for either game being incomplete though, or the modern style of "release now, patch later". That's not good for the community, it's only good for publishers. It means that if the game flops they don't have to invest money in fixing it up. You can solve problems with patches just as well if you release the game feature complete as if you do the early access thing. It simply costs more resources, because you as a developer have had to do your job of developing the game AND you have to respond to how it's received in the wild.

In most industries, that's considered normal. You make a product, you put it out, and you see what the market likes. You then make modifications or a new version. The car industry is a good example. They make a car model, and they'll make yearly minor modifications to that model. Every few years they'll revise it entirely. If there are major "bugs", they'll fix the car or issue a recall. But unless it's a Tesla, the car drives off the lot feature complete for that model year.

Software has unfortunately embraced a different paradigm, as seen by the car company structured as a software company. Tesla has some cool ideas and great design, but they really haven't got this manufacturing real world objects thing down.

Gran Turismo 2 is notoriously buggy
It was? :confused: It's the first one I played (and probably my favorite one), I don't remember much, but I don't recall running into problems... At least, nothing major like having to reset the console or corrupted game saves like in GT5 and later. :crazy:

EDIT: actually there seems to have been a save bug xD https://tcrf.net/Bugs:Gran_Turismo_2 Glad it never happened to me. Anyway, besides that, the other bugs are nothing much (and can be found in later GTs as well, like, garage icons, mismatched AI cars, constant AI crashes at certain corners...)

It was? :confused: It's the first one I played (and probably my favorite one), I don't remember much, but I don't recall running into problems... At least, nothing major like having to reset the console or corrupted game saves like in GT5 and later. :crazy:

EDIT: actually there seems to have been a save bug xD https://tcrf.net/Bugs:Gran_Turismo_2 Glad it never happened to me. Anyway, besides that, the other bugs are nothing much (and can be found in later GTs as well, like, garage icons, mismatched AI cars, constant AI crashes at certain corners...)

Correct. There's a reasonable number of "annoyance" level bugs and a couple of game killers. I think "notoriously buggy" is probably as much a product of the time as anything. As you say, GT5 and upwards have had similar stuff, and so perhaps GT2 got that reputation before "modern" concepts of bugginess were fully established.

Although I would probably say that GT5 1.01 was the buggiest and most poorly designed game that Polyphony ever created. It's a good job that it's mostly remembered in it's Spec II form, which was really a very decent game.

Half june seems fair to me. If they add the new tiremodel in the next update they have 15 days to tackle possible bugs before the official FIA season starts

Two week delay? Damn now we'll have to wait about year for the championship to start.:dopey:

I wish the employees at PD would take the flutes out of their nose and work.:dunce:

I mean instead of playing the flute with their nose they could've gave us free updates the past seven months.:dopey:

They will never fix the atari graphics or the mario cart physics or the forza penalty system with musical instruments stuck up their nasal cavity. :dunce:

I think it would've been better for everyone if they delayed the game another six to twelve months.:dopey:

If they delayed the game another 12 months we could've had a game with spa and le mans a couple tracks to race gr.2 cars on because there's zero as of now and a working gas pedal.:dunce:

Oh and paid DLC because who doesn't like paying more money to play a game already paid for?.:dopey:

Last edited:
So that is what they have been doing the past seven months?

That is outrages. They should have been giving us free updates instead. :dopey:
Oh such wit with the sarcasm. To try and use 'humour' to trivialise other peoples opinions, such a unique approach. And not one but two posts, you must be so proud of yourself. :rolleyes: Or have I posted too early, and you are going to be an a**e about everyone's post.

And people wonder why Gran Turismo is no longer the powerhouse brand that it once was.
No I don’t really wonder.

Racing games are nowhere as near as popular as they were in 1997.

You may as well say “and people wonder why Microsoft Flight Simulator is no longer the powerhouse brand it once was. “

No I don’t really wonder.

Racing games are nowhere as near as popular as they were in 1997.

You may as well say “and people wonder why Microsoft Flight Simulator is no longer the powerhouse brand it once was. “

FSX is still near or at the top of it's genre, despite being 12 years old. It's swings and roundabouts between that and XPlane, and FSX is arguably a better choice for those starting out in the genre. It's got significantly more players on Steam.

GTS is competing with FM7, FH3, pCARS2, AC, iRacing, rFactor2, RaceRoom, F1 2017/18, and Automobilista. This isn't including the rally games (which GTS is arguably also trying to compete with) or arcade racers with real cars like Driveclub or Need for Speed. I'd say sim and quasi-sim games are plenty popular, it's just that there's actually a pretty decent selection out there and people aren't glomming onto a single powerhouse brand like they once did...

But by all means, continue to argue that delaying core features of a game isn't hurting it's brand. It's all the market. It's just racing games becoming less popular because...why is that? Is it that the big racing games aren't delivering fun? Are people feeling that they're not getting their money's worth from racing games? Why would all those millions of people who bought GT5 and GT6 not want more?

Back