Gran Turismo: Turning the exotic into household names

  • Thread starter Thread starter GuyNamedJohn
  • 35 comments
  • 2,291 views
Yes i must say, The GT series has changed my life. If it wasn't for the GT games i wouldn't have gotten into all sorts of racing i like now, i wouldn't have know about nearly as many cars as i do now, I wouldn't have understood how a car reacts and the physics of a car as much as i do now. So thank you to everyone that had a part in making this amazing game, it truly has inspired me and took my love for cars and hieghtend it to an extreem i've never thought imagined.
 
Jacks
If it wasn't for the GT series i wouldn't be able to tell anyone who wants to know, the power and torque values, engine type and size, and drivetrain of almost any car i see, has anyone else found this??

Heh, that's so true!

GT1 was really the first racing game I ever got and it really got me interested in cars and racing. I personally believe that Gran Turismo is much more than just racing and souping up cars. It's made for car enthusiasts, those who want to learn and enjoy cars as much as race them.

And I think that the absence of Ferrari, Lambourghini, and Porsche has had an unexpected benefit in that PD has looked for substitutes. Before GT1, I'm sure few people outside of Britain knew about TVR. Before GT2, few people probably knew about Venture and Vector. GT3 introduced us to Pagani. Now, GT4 has introduced us into many more wonderful and exotic cars.
 
Believe it or not, I'm not a real fan of the Infiniti G35's looks. Only a few cars look good with tall headlights (where Cadillac fails), and this is not one of them. I don't know if Nissan's deal with Renault is hurting Nissan's lineup, but look in GT4's Nissan lineup. The Skyline 350GT-8 is kind of a big change from its racy and raucous predecesor, the R34 Skyline. This is a case of a mean car being softened in looks and basically kind of kills the charm of the last model. About the only Japanese car company which has luxury-like cars that can still be mean monsters on the road is- Nissan's archenemy, Toyota. Remember the Toyota Chaser? I often call it a Japanese BMW by its looks. But it's pure Japanese with that turbocharged beast of a motor.

To think at one point, the game we know as Gran Turismo 1 would just end up being a so-so racing game. I believe with its wonderful charm, grace, and have such an open door to a world of cars, made it a pretty good racing game to see the world. That "world" was expanded in the sequel. And as the strategy guide claims for GT2's sequel, there may be fewer cars, but many of the makes from the last game still were in GT3. Now there are many more cars from all around the world including classic models. I never heard of Autobianchi, Jensen Healey, FPV, or even Alpine. GT4 opened the door to me on that. Say what you want about all the Skylines and Lancers. When you really think about it, over 12 nationalities of cars are represented. I know I'm American, but I would like to see Australia better represented in races and cars. A Holden V8 Supercar would be nice to take on the Ford Falcon XR8 race car. If this is a sign of things to come, GT5 would probably have many more companies represented from many countries around the world and back.
 
The gran turismo series has definitely introduced a lot of cars to me. I've always been a big car guy ever since i was a little kid and i remember my favourite cars used to be DSM's like the eagle/eclipse, probe and stealth.

But with gran turismo 1, wow have things changed :)
Thank you Gran Turismo!
 
punkrkr27
I've been a huge car geek for a long time, and I pretty much knew about most of the cars in the GT series already. Being a car geek is waht really got me into the GT series. Seeing as how I can't afford most of these cars, an R34 GT-R will run you nearly 100 grand in the US even used, this was the closest I could ever get to driving these cars.



The next version version of the Skyline GT-R will be based off of the next version of the 350Z/G35 platform. It is currently being developed. Lotus is helping to develop the chassis and the engine will be a Cosworth designed V-8. It's expected to have around 425hp. And yes, it will look very similar to the Infiniti G35 (which is a Skyline in Japan)

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/infiniti/gtr/100486033/preview.html

well in that article it said the prototype had a G35 shell, but will look more like the GT-R concept, which i think is more plausable.
 
smellysocks12
TVR is also a brand I never would have heard of if it wasn't for GT. I nearly got a seizure when I was watching that movie swordfish and I was like OMG A TVR SPEED 12??? The people around me in the movie theatre didn't quite share my enthusiasm.

Erm - it was a Tuscan, not at all a speed 12.

I think GT bought more than the knowledge to the people. The sales of the Mitsubishi Lancer in the USA have rocketed; the Skyline is a well-known car now. Subaru Impreza's are selling like hot-cakes around here - why? Because these are the cars that people were impressed by in GT; combine this with the hype from mediocre films like Fast & Furious and the people want want want... After 2F2F was released, Mitsubishi started selling the base lancer in the US; now the evo is available there. It's even being advertised on radio and TV in the UK - never before was this the case. KY has made some serious changes to the world - how many people can honestly say that?

To Jacks - join the club! but i warn you now: motorsport engineering will take away all of your social life. It is far from easy.
 
Back