Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,879 comments
I have to admit I didn't do the Barcelona round. The novelty/"fun" of picking Citroen had completely worn off and I just really didn't want to drive that car any more. The Gr.4 car was nice at Dragon Trail and Grand Valley though, if PD ever do a Gr.4-only series for some reason then definitely consider Citroen! Just avoid if there are any Gr.3 rounds.

As for Daytona, what's interesting is we have no good way of testing the cars in their tuned forms in a slipstream. So it could be that come race time something completely unexpected becomes meta, as most of the race will be a slipstream battle barring chaos.

As for Daytona, what's interesting is we have no good way of testing the cars in their tuned forms in a slipstream.
Isn't it a 'custom' slipstream, too? That would suggest there's no way to test the slipstream effects either. :irked:

FWIW, from what I've seen, it seems that the tunes they are using for the race aren't that far off from the BoP ones. At least the lap times are pretty close on the cars that I've tried in both free practice and in time trial, which admittedly isn't very many.

GT1 EMEA - Rd.5
Whilst it's the best version of Catalunya, without that awful chicane, I wasn't expecting a great result at a race all about tyre conservation. So I felt any chances of improving my worst score of 143pts were slim.

Even more so because I didn't get time to run rd.4 at GVH. Which I felt was my last chance of the season to get a decent 180+pts score, around a track the GT felt better, and I enjoy a lot.

Nevertheless I went into this final round with no practice, aside from TT laps. The tyre multiplier for Catalunya was a little on the high side to be honest, but hey-ho.

20970172619701394.jpg

Could only do slot 3, and went into a 228pt lobby. Qualifying was awful, with my lap being really scrappy and at a 1:42.6, I was last. The race itself was ok, but not without mistakes. The worst of which came when I overshot the pit entry on lap 18, costing me 5s :banghead:. I started on Hards, and got up to 6th before finally pitting on lap 19. My left side tyres were completely gone. Came out on mediums in 14th, got as high as 9th, before my tyres died with 2 laps to go. I was soon caught and passed with 1 lap to go. So 10th and 142pts it was.

18bbfcf711934-screenshotUrl.png

Realistically the best I could do, as my rough calculations had a 2 stop being no quicker for me, based on where I started.

Still, this didn't detract from what has been a fantastic season, potentially my most successful based on earlier performances. With an extremely rare win at Suzuka, which brought my highest single points tally with it, and an overall positive experience running the '18 GT. Which was a blast to drive and listen to the whole time with that great soundtrack. It feels most at home in changing conditions and flowing tracks like Suzuka and GVH.

Screenshot_20231113-174307~2.png

Screenshot_20231113-174233~2.png

Was pipped to 2nd for Ford in EMEA at the end, but 3rd is still way higher than I realistically should be. Ford are a bit thin on the ground in terms of aliens and World Tour level drivers, hence 18th overall. I was often the only Ford in my lobbies, let alone the only '18 GT. Plus only 3 UK players represented Ford at all this season :lol:.

For next season though, I'm thinking about running another Manufacturer I haven't used in GTWS once more. Especially if it's Gr.3 only again. Otherwise I'd be debating a return to the Beetle. I know it's unpopular, but I'd personally welcome tuning again next season, potentially more than just damper settings 🤞.

Last edited:
I wonder if the lower scores and people's disappointment comes from just playing the game less overall?

I'm definitely not hitting daillies as much as I used to and right now that leaves me with a big fat C for Casual.

Doing a bit of practice before a weekly race isn't the same as that constant time in the game maintaining your highest levels.

I watched my Barcelona reply and watched one dude absolutely divebomb the inside of T1. I saw him coming and didn't fully dive into the turn (still got clipped) but thought I recognized the name. I only have a couple replays but I did find him. he finished P4 or P5 in the redbull x2019 race at maggiore and I finished P6.

Only both P4 and P5 didn't read the tire regs and I got bumped up to 4th. Also beat him at Barcelona ultimately since he had to pit and i was on a no stop. Guy is the tire gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit I didn't do the Barcelona round. The novelty/"fun" of picking Citroen had completely worn off and I just really didn't want to drive that car any more. The Gr.4 car was nice at Dragon Trail and Grand Valley though, if PD ever do a Gr.4-only series for some reason then definitely consider Citroen! Just avoid if there are any Gr.3 rounds.

As for Daytona, what's interesting is we have no good way of testing the cars in their tuned forms in a slipstream. So it could be that come race time something completely unexpected becomes meta, as most of the race will be a slipstream battle barring chaos.

I chose Citroen, too. It is an unusual choice (at least in Germany) but I also wanted to try "something completely different". They are both quite slow but gentle with the tires and break phenomenal as if there are dropping an anchor... ⚓ So, I personally might try them again.

It’s like that with majority of the manufacturers. You either have really strong Gr3 car and a weak Gr4 or vide versa.
I keep looking at the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, Honda, Lambo but they always one car that I struggle with or is just rubbish.

I have a feeling GT1 leagues will transfer over now to been Gr3 only. The fact GTWS finals is only Gr3, and if you watch top split majority of the world tour drivers skip the the Gr4 rounds. Having all Gr3 rounds will make it more competitive and probably keep more drivers in the top split.
Only downside is some of the weaker Gr3s (Citroen, Alpha, maybe Ferrari & Honda) could struggle.

I have a feeling GT1 leagues will transfer over now to been Gr3 only. The fact GTWS finals is only Gr3, and if you watch top split majority of the world tour drivers skip the the Gr4 rounds. Having all Gr3 rounds will make it more competitive and probably keep more drivers in the top split.
Only downside is some of the weaker Gr3s (Citroen, Alpha, maybe Ferrari & Honda) could struggle.
I really hope not. GT1 is such a massive spread of skill, and to funnel all those people into a format that benefits literaly the top 0.001% of players is an awful decision. I already dislike that the races are comedically long, I don't need the game to give me more reasons to stop playing it.

A bit of a late post, but my final results weren't too bad. I'd have liked to done more races but my rig was down during the first couple events so I was stuck with trying to get decent results from the last 3 and Barcelona is a weak point for me.

18bc2156e4673-screenshotUrl.jpg

The Nurburgring was for sure the highlight and I'm happy I was able to at least participate in that race.

I really hope not. GT1 is such a massive spread of skill, and to funnel all those people into a format that benefits literaly the top 0.001% of players is an awful decision. I already dislike that the races are comedically long, I don't need the game to give me more reasons to stop playing it.
Yeah I hope they have both classes too. Gr4s are fun to drive on certain tracks.

I don’t know if PD were trialing the Gr3s this season or not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if thats how they are thinking?

Been tinkering around some more testing Daytona. Seems like about 17 laps is as far as it will run with no fuel savings and no slipstream to cut the wind.

The interesting thing which I guess we won't know until race day is under "Car Settings" it's listed as "Allowed". Hopefully this means you can drop the ride height and downforce to cut wind resistance. Also I wonder if this means tinkering with gearing will be allowed. If not are there any cars still allowed that have a 7th gear? That might prove quite helpful when drafting/fuel saving throughout the race to lessen time in the pits gassing up.

Been tinkering around some more testing Daytona. Seems like about 17 laps is as far as it will run with no fuel savings and no slipstream to cut the wind.

The interesting thing which I guess we won't know until race day is under "Car Settings" it's listed as "Allowed". Hopefully this means you can drop the ride height and downforce to cut wind resistance. Also I wonder if this means tinkering with gearing will be allowed. If not are there any cars still allowed that have a 7th gear? That might prove quite helpful when drafting/fuel saving throughout the race to lessen time in the pits gassing up.
I'm pretty sure "allowed" in these custom BOP lockdown events mean that the car was "allowed" to be tuned before being BOP locked. I think it was the same for the SSRX race.

Like, it will say tuning allowed and you will not be able to access the settings sheet in practice or race.

Last edited:

Well, this is weird. I did a quick test run in my secret weapon last night and I thought it would probably go about 23 laps before needing fuel.

Tyres are the bigger problem with 19 likely to be the max before the right rear is completely gone.

The really interesting thing that I can’t quite work out is what will happen when slipstream is enabled. There are a few of the options that can do a very quick FP lap but are close to (or in one case right on) redline. I assume that some of these will hit the rev limiter in slip and sink like a stone. But with everything set to “custom” I can’t adequately test it.

Long? 🤨 I think it's great experience! And combined with heavy damage it's another step to be closer to real races, where 30 laps are considered as "sprint races". I like that format very much!
IMO if someone managed to get to GT1 league, we can say that person is a serious player and is looking for serious racing and for me it's great that PD made that championship that way. 😎

Well, this is weird. I did a quick test run in my secret weapon last night and I thought it would probably go about 23 laps before needing fuel.

Tyres are the bigger problem with 19 likely to be the max before the right rear is completely gone.

The really interesting thing that I can’t quite work out is what will happen when slipstream is enabled. There are a few of the options that can do a very quick FP lap but are close to (or in one case right on) redline. I assume that some of these will hit the rev limiter in slip and sink like a stone. But with everything set to “custom” I can’t adequately test it.
Yeah i'm thinking it will be a different car from the top times that will end up being the meta. There must be a few cars that are a couple of KM/H slower but are really low down the revs. I personally find the NSX more sketchy on the bends than others anyway so wouldn't use it regardless.

All eyes on Oceana!!

Last edited:
Yeah i'm thinking it will be a different car from the top times that will end up being the meta. There must be a few cars that are a couple of KM/H slower but are really low down the revs. I personally find the NSX more sketchy on the bends than others anyway so wouldn't use it regardless.
Yeah, I think I’ve found a serious weapon which will be a monster in the slip BUT, it will probably qualify low and so might be impeded by cars in front?

For such a straightforward race there are a lot of unknowns.

Long? 🤨 I think it's great experience! And combined with heavy damage it's another step to be closer to real races, where 30 laps are considered as "sprint races". I like that format very much!
IMO if someone managed to get to GT1 league, we can say that person is a serious player and is looking for serious racing and for me it's great that PD made that championship that way. 😎
I'm in GT1 league and am neither a serious player or looking for serious racing, I just play things to have fun and sitting around for 90 minutes hyper practicing on driving one car for an entire season isnt fun to me at all lol.
I can see why people would like it, don't get me wrong - but I certainly don't.

I'm in GT1 league and am neither a serious player or looking for serious racing, I just play things to have fun and sitting around for 90 minutes hyper practicing on driving one car for an entire season isnt fun to me at all lol.
I can see why people would like it, don't get me wrong - but I certainly don't.
Same; Thank God that the last two race in Nations Cup are ovals, so I don't need to do much practice :dunce:

On the subject of things they changed for GT1, for those of you who qualify for that, how did heavy damage work out up there - did it change how people raced at all?

I am torn, as typically I don't like Gr4 cars; I think, in general, they are lame and would much rather virtually any combo in Gr3 than Gr4. That being said, the Gr4 cars were pretty fun around Grand Valley (I think having the RS tires available helped), but, again, the Gr3 cars are more fun so maybe it's a moot point.

The addition of Gr4 races makes picking the Manus a little more strategic and interesting. The BoP in Gr4 needs an updates as Porsche, for example, has a great Gr3 car and a horrible Gr4 so many either won't pick Porsche or will just skip the Gr4 races anyway. Generally I still don't like the Gr4s and am perfectly fine not doing those races.

I am torn on race length because I do like the longer races, but the whole thing from start to finish (quali + race) can often take 90 mins (or more in the case of Nord) which is a lot to ask of a casual on a Saturday night (this would be less of a concern if there WERE MORE GT1 SLOTS PD!!!!!!!!!!).

I still think GT1 should be A and A+ up to 75k DR (half way thru A+), and a separate category needs to be added, GTX, for 75k+DR people. This is where the that category would come into play as those people would legit be trying to qualify for the WS and would make the time regardless of when the races were and how long they were.

So there are definitely arguments on both sides and even I find myself debating with myself.:lol:

What I feel there is no debate on is NO TUNING! Especially for GTWS races! Is that guy really faster than me or did he spend 27.823423 hours I don't have messing with suspension settings to get better turn-in and tire wear? We will never know. :irked:

On the subject of things they changed for GT1, for those of you who qualify for that, how did heavy damage work out up there - did it change how people raced at all?

Last edited:
Other than the well known (who we can't say their names on here) rammers, I would say yes. I've noticed people keeping their noses a bit cleaner, so it is appreciated from me at least.

As a GT2 guy who is getting pretty close to GT1, count me in on wanting the longer races. I generally am not too hung up on getting to higher DR, except that next time around I want to do the GT1 format if I can get there, so I'm trying to get that last bit of improvement needed to go from DR B to A. While prepping for Catalunya, I ran in a GT1 practice lobby and thought it was great.

Only things that have me torn are; unlike most who are commenting on this, I like group 4 equally to group 3 so don't really want to see it gone, and the limited entry slots would be annoying.

I did a full race distance in Custom Race in the Corvette, and it felt completely fine on a dead right rear tire that had done the entire 30-lap distance and was 100% red by the end. No idea how it'll handle bump drafting in that state, but I still don't think it'll make much of a difference. Haven't tried the NSX, but I wouldn't be surprised if it tried to kill you in the same conditions...

I was able to get similar times in the NSX and the Toyota but while I never once spun out in the Toyota, the NSX was a nightmare when making uneven contact with the bottom of the incline.

is DR B the cutoff for GT2? i'm right at the top of DR C and kind of upset i didn't get any DR credit for my P1 in the SSRX race.
Yes, but that's not how it works - it's not a limiting factor on your DR - and in any case the SSRX race was set to not affect DR/SR.

Some thoughts from the perspective of a GT2 driver...

On mixing Gr.3 and Gr.4 cars: Like @Talon16 said, I thought this made the selection more interesting. You couldn't just go and pick the one meta car. You had to weigh the merits of both the Gr.3 and Gr.4 cars from each manufacturer and decide which fit best. Personally, I'd love it if they expanded the series to include the other categories of cars, too, with Gr.1, Gr.2, and even Gr.B races. Not at all practical because so few manufacturers have cars in every class, but one can dream...

On race length: I found it frustrating and annoying that the longer races were not available to us lower-rated drivers, especially when so many of the GT2/3 variants ended up being turned into no-stop sprints without any pit strategy. I would definitely give those a try if I could. I'd much rather PD put together a separate series of endurance races that are open to drivers at all levels instead of restricting it to A/A+ drivers.

On tuning: I like the idea of being able to tune the cars, especially in GTWS races, where you have some advance notice of what's coming and can spend some time preparing for it. BUT... I feel like the game isn't quite ready to support it. There need to be better tools for inspecting other drivers' tunes and publishing them for others to use (like we have for liveries). That said, I was very happy that I could make adjustments to my cars for the Manu Cup races, since it helped me squeeze a few tenths off my lap time on every track.

Yes, but that's not how it works - it's not a limiting factor on your DR - and in any case the SSRX race was set to not affect DR/SR.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I understand that the SSRX race didn't affect DR and knew before the race. I'm saying that if it affect DR did I'd probably be DR B now because I was at the very top edge of DR C and got P1 in the race in a higher point lobby for me.

My other question was unrelated and is basically, if I am DR B at the start of the next championship series is that how I start in GT2 is what I am unsure of. This was my first series and started in GT3.

Back