Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,879 comments
I am going to miss everything besides Nordschleife.... Which car would be the best there? Usually I drive the Porsche, but is there any Meta for this track? How does the Ford GT LM do with its top speed on the long straights?
I've used it a couple of times at Nord. I love the car (as if the avatar wasn't a give-away) but it's not too popular so don't take my word for it. It is a rocket on acceleration and had* a higher top end than the Supra; I'd been preaching that for a while.

*But PD can't be having it so they did Nerf it at the last update. No idea how that's effected the top end honestly as I've not tested it.

Just wondering (it's the 1st time I sign up for this): Do I keep the cars I got after signing my contract?
Until you sign a new one for the next series, yes. And if you don't ever do so, yes.

I ran a few test laps with some Gr.4 cars yesterday at Suzuka in both dry and wet condition.

Here's how the dry tests went. They were done in the Free Practice mode of the race, so I was able to get the 'Max Speed' value from the tables at the end.
I could be wrong, but doesn't the free practice mode mimic the race? So I'd assume if one does 10 laps in practice and there is no rain, there won't be in the race either.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the free practice mode mimic the race? So I'd assume if one does 10 laps in practice and there is no rain, there won't be in the race either.
Not always. The Nurburgring race in the Manu a couple seasons ago had a dry Free Practice (and qualifying), but the race was wet for the full race (in GT2/3, anyways). Last season, though, they put rain into the free practice a Nurburgring.

Edit:
Can anyone remember the last time we had rain in a Gr4 race (GTWS or daily)?
According to the GT-Engine archives, there was light rain (R03) for a Gr.4 Manu Cup race at High Speed Ring on April 6, 2022. Don't know if there has been anything more recent.

I feel like there was Gr.4 Daily Race at Spa last spring that had dynamic weather and sometimes rained. Could be wrong about that, though.

Last edited:
Tried a couple GT1 test races at Mt. Panorama last night, since it looks like the one where I have the most question of baseline strategy. Brief asisde, I hate racing the AI on this track (on many tracks, but this one in particular), the constant brake checking on the mountain top and through the dipper are infuriating.

Anyway, back to strategy... running my usual AMG, tires are not an issue. I could probably nurse them for the whole race, but won't because it starts to get sketchy over the mountain, and coming out of the dipper with the rears getting shoddy.

Fuel though, running flat out I get 8.5 laps(ish). That's a 3 stopper unless I fuel save. Minor fuel saving is pretty close on pace and gets me 9 laps, but that's still a 3 stopper. Half-shifting, I can nurse out 10 laps which enables a 2 stopper, but with an obvious pace impact. I tried the the Mazda, and I could go full-bore and get 9 laps, so it was easier to manage the fuel for a 2 stop, but I was slower and less consistent so I stayed in my comfort zone and went with AMG again.

From a pure race time standpoint, the pit loss is greater than the pace loss fuel saving, so I'm better off doing a 9-10-9 or something like that. Cooling off the pace in the second stint helps with the tires a bit too. But I'm trying to think of anything that would change my mind. More scheduled stops gives me more opportunity to fix damage if it occurs, allows me to drive without thinking about fuel constantly, compete head to head, and gives me some flexibility to get out of trouble if needed. But I can't imagine any of those scenarios costing enough time to make up for a pit stop unless they are severe and early in the race/stint.

So, looking like a fuel save 2 stopper, but I'll keep testing.

Tried a couple GT1 test races at Mt. Panorama last night, since it looks like the one where I have the most question of baseline strategy. Brief asisde, I hate racing the AI on this track (on many tracks, but this one in particular), the constant brake checking on the mountain top and through the dipper are infuriating.
So what I do here is put one AI car on track with me (as you can't do zero) and I start the race in front of it. It typically only takes a couple of turns to leave it in the dust (especially since the AI is always on RH tires). I use the Professional difficult because it pays out more; the pay whether you run against one AI or 15 is virtually identical.

Obviously, if you want to practice racing this isn't the way, but if you're just trying to put in laps to figure out tires and fuel worth a shot.

So what I do here is put one AI car on track with me (as you can't do zero) and I start the race in front of it. It typically only takes a couple of turns to leave it in the dust (especially since the AI is always on RH tires). I use the Professional difficult because it pays out more; the pay whether you run against one AI or 15 is virtually identical.

Obviously, if you want to practice racing this isn't the way, but if you're just trying to put in laps to figure out tires and fuel worth a shot.

Yeah you’re right that’s probably what I’ll do next session. I thought I’d get some race practice, and also see how traffic affects tire wear/fuel burn… but the weird AI habits kinda make the practice moot.

I love these Cup races. When I started to really play GT7 in december I joined the Manu and Nations Cup out of curiosity and had a blast. Yesterday I registered for the new one and saw that I was not in GT3 but in GT2 this time.
Now I kinda wet my pants because I expect to be last in every race. Most people I raced the last couple of days were sooo fast and I doubt that they will be slower in GT2 💀 😂

Anyway, back to strategy... running my usual AMG, tires are not an issue. I could probably nurse them for the whole race, but won't because it starts to get sketchy over the mountain, and coming out of the dipper with the rears getting shoddy.

Fuel though, running flat out I get 8.5 laps(ish). That's a 3 stopper unless I fuel save. Minor fuel saving is pretty close on pace and gets me 9 laps, but that's still a 3 stopper. Half-shifting, I can nurse out 10 laps which enables a 2 stopper, but with an obvious pace impact. I tried the the Mazda, and I could go full-bore and get 9 laps, so it was easier to manage the fuel for a 2 stop, but I was slower and less consistent so I stayed in my comfort zone and went with AMG again.

From a pure race time standpoint, the pit loss is greater than the pace loss fuel saving, so I'm better off doing a 9-10-9 or something like that. Cooling off the pace in the second stint helps with the tires a bit too. But I'm trying to think of anything that would change my mind. More scheduled stops gives me more opportunity to fix damage if it occurs, allows me to drive without thinking about fuel constantly, compete head to head, and gives me some flexibility to get out of trouble if needed. But I can't imagine any of those scenarios costing enough time to make up for a pit stop unless they are severe and early in the race/stint.

So, looking like a fuel save 2 stopper, but I'll keep testing.

Keep in mind that you’ll be able to fuel-save the first few laps, just because we’ll all be bunched up. Not to mention, if you’re really good with multi-tasking…you can be in a leaner map coming down the mountain

In solidarity with @Fezzik, I've decided to base my Manu Cup choice on how unpopular the manufacturers are. Actually, Fezzik's choice has nothing to do with it, but I am thinking of using the popularity of the manufacturers as the basis for my choice. It's more because I've set myself the long-term goal using all of the manufacturers, and I'd like to get some of the weaker ones out of the way before working my way up to the stronger ones. And choosing a less popular manufacturer gives me a smaller pool of drivers to compete with in the rankings. We'll see how that plays out in payouts. I may come to regret this decision.

I've narrowed my choices for this season down to three manufacturers, each of which had only one driver in Canada (GT2 league) last season:
  1. Alfa Romeo
  2. Renault
  3. Volkswagon
So far, I've just been doing some trial laps at this season's circuits to see which of them are fastest and also to get a better feeling for how the cars drive. I'm going to have to do some full-length races at Deep Forest and Bathurst yet to see the effects of tire wear and fuel use.

I wasn't sure which manufacturer to choose between Peugeot, Lamborghini, McLaren and Honda.

-Peugeot: discarded because the Gr.4 car is FF. I've always been an FF fan, but I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with the understeer.
-Lamborghini: discarded because the Gr.4 car is 4WD, which I enjoy the most, so I want to save it for a longer Manufacturer's Cup.

I've finally chosen McLaren.

I may be likely to skip the first nation's. First, most of you have heard me whine about gr.4. Not because of metas and such, but I just stink with them! (I've seriously thought about opening a second account solely to practice gr.4 races)

Second, while I like driving suzuka, I fall of the pace compared to my peers. That long daily C we just had, while fun, I had a decent Q but just fell back to running lonely laps by the end. The exception was the last manu there with weather, which I managed pretty well. If I choose to participate, I'm hoping for rain.

Third, it's wednesay. So that's three strikes, I'm out. (maybe)

I may be likely to skip the first nation's. First, most of you have heard me whine about gr.4. Not because of metas and such, but I just stink with them! (I've seriously thought about opening a second account solely to practice gr.4 races)

Second, while I like driving suzuka, I fall of the pace compared to my peers. That long daily C we just had, while fun, I had a decent Q but just fell back to running lonely laps by the end. The exception was the last manu there with weather, which I managed pretty well. If I choose to participate, I'm hoping for rain.

Second account and or private lobbies are both viable options to practice against real racers to sharpen your skills with any area you feel should improve.
There are almost always gr4 rotating track race lobbies with a plenty of A+ drivers attending which can keep the pressure on so you really need to push to keep up. I do both with my alternate be euro account which has a different feel than the NA lobbies. Europe seems more competitive if you asked me which is a plus for me when I use it to learn and improve.

It’s nice to be able to get real racing in and not throw away your DR which seems to mostly on matter to those doing GTWS events. If I only did dailies I could get on with ideas that DR floats to your current level but you can tank or rise quickly based on a week with good or bad combo so in my mind that doesn’t make it a perfect indicator of your overall level where you can be competitive in GTWS.

Understand. But I am gonna to try doing this race, and using the Ferrari. Personally I like driving (some of) these gr 4 cars.
Such a shame though, this race could be so much more interesting when medium tyres were to be used so that tyrewear would become a factor. Or with a mandatory pitstop. Now just another sprintrace like so many. But what an awesome track this is, although I find it difficult to drive....

One of the things I like about gtws is that people create lobbies to practice the races. Even if I can't find the time to do the gtws race I usually take advantage of that by racing in those practice lobbies. Did 2 races last night.

You should do the same. It's fun, it's the best way to practice, and if you join a good lobby people won't always quit on the first lap because most of them are there to practice.

I can't do the gt1 leagues but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the race format in online lobbies. Unless people kick me for not being DR A 😄

Last edited:
Is the chance for rain generally being discounted? Seems like the one thing that could make it interesting.
On second thought, maybe that is why it is not on the radar.
Weather seems to be more a Manufacturers Cup thing, from what I can tell. Looking at the archives at gt-engine I only see two Nations Cup races that have had weather, both in 2022 (Tsukuba and Fuji). Still, I'd like to think it is a possibility, even if it is unlikely.
One of the things I like about gtws is that people create lobbies to practice the races. Even if I can't find the time to do the gtws race I usually take advantage of that by racing in those practice lobbies. Did 2 races last night.
Maybe not the topic for this thread, but how do you find good lobbies? Do you organize them ahead of time with drivers you know? Or just search the public ones?

The few times I've tried, I haven't had much luck with the public ones. I'll search for lobbies at the circuit where the next GTWS race is being held and join the first one that looks like it is GTWS practice. The race will already be started so I go back to the search menu and re-enter all the search criteria again to look for another. After several attempts -- some of which involve returning to lobbies that I'd already checked because they are all titled 'GTWS practice' -- I'll find one that is still in practice mode. I'll drive the car around the track for 20-30 minutes waiting for the organizer to start the race with the two other drivers that have joined. Two laps into the race, the organizer kills the lobby and I'm back to square one, having wasted an hour doing nothing.

Weather seems to be more a Manufacturers Cup thing, from what I can tell. Looking at the archives at gt-engine I only see two Nations Cup races that have had weather, both in 2022 (Tsukuba and Fuji). Still, I'd like to think it is a possibility, even if it is unlikely.

Maybe not the topic for this thread, but how do you find good lobbies? Do you organize them ahead of time with drivers you know? Or just search the public ones?

The few times I've tried, I haven't had much luck with the public ones. I'll search for lobbies at the circuit where the next GTWS race is being held and join the first one that looks like it is GTWS practice. The race will already be started so I go back to the search menu and re-enter all the search criteria again to look for another. After several attempts -- some of which involve returning to lobbies that I'd already checked because they are all titled 'GTWS practice' -- I'll find one that is still in practice mode. I'll drive the car around the track for 20-30 minutes waiting for the organizer to start the race with the two other drivers that have joined. Two laps into the race, the organizer kills the lobby and I'm back to square one, having wasted an hour doing nothing.

I search the public ones. I try to join those from known streamers since those tend to attract like minded drivers. Yesterday I raced in the one setup by grove street racer.

But I feel your pain. Sometimes it is difficult to find good lobbies.

I chose the honda but seriously…how bad is it?? How valerio gallo can do what he does with this crap?
In the last Manu Cup I drove the Hondas and I absolutly loved driving them. Sure, not the best cars but so much fun to drive imo. Would have chosen Honda again but always the same could become boring.

This time I was torn between the Alfas (so easy and forgiving to drive but not really fast) and the Mercs which I choose in the end. Though Barthurst with the Merc is gonna be rough for me I think 🙈

Last edited:
surely that is a mistake? So now it is just full throttle till the lights go out and away we go? odd....
I've only raced in GT2/3, as far as I recall, never had a false start check. It is exactly how you describe, full throttle until lights out.

Latest Posts

Back