Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,254 comments
I've been out of a the game for a while but I'm going to give this season a go. Is there anything important I should know?
Welcome back!

I guess the main thing to be aware of in GTWS these days is that races now have different settings depending on which league you're in. It's been a while since I've seen you around, so I'm pretty sure that came in since you last took part.

GT1 rounds have 3 time slots available, I think GT2/3 rounds have 10. GT1 uses heavy damage in most rounds now, GT2/3 still use light. GT1 races are often longer too, sometimes considerably. I think one of the biggest differences was a mixed weather Nurburgring round a few seasons back where GT2/3 had 4(?) laps and GT1 had a whopping 10 laps.

In manufacturers, GT1 seasons have also been exclusively Group 3 for a while now, with GT2/3 continuing the mixture of Groups 3 and 4.

Yesterday I did a Nations race in a lobby and I look at the display showing an optimal of 3:28:4 which is, well, impossible, or maybe bec of slipstream? Bit still seems too fast, my PB is 3:38.5 in TT. Can the time be wrong in the game? Maybe lag?

Yesterday I did a Nations race in a lobby and I look at the display showing an optimal of 3:28:4 which is, well, impossible, or maybe bec of slipstream? Bit still seems too fast, my PB is 3:38.5 in TT. Can the time be wrong in the game? Maybe lag?
Slip would definitely help but not 10 seconds of help. Wondering if the host forgot to turn on the BoP giving the cars more power than they'll have during the actual race? Only thing I can think of.

Welcome back!

I guess the main thing to be aware of in GTWS these days is that races now have different settings depending on which league you're in. It's been a while since I've seen you around, so I'm pretty sure that came in since you last took part.

GT1 rounds have 3 time slots available, I think GT2/3 rounds have 10. GT1 uses heavy damage in most rounds now, GT2/3 still use light. GT1 races are often longer too, sometimes considerably. I think one of the biggest differences was a mixed weather Nurburgring round a few seasons back where GT2/3 had 4(?) laps and GT1 had a whopping 10 laps.

In manufacturers, GT1 seasons have also been exclusively Group 3 for a while now, with GT2/3 continuing the mixture of Groups 3 and 4.
This is... strange. And ****. But I suppose makes sense, if lower ranked lobbies are less likely to stick around in long races. And there'll be more people in DR B and C. 10 laps at the Nurburgring sounds like a dream though, get that back.

Still, me never being very good at GT7 isn't going to help much. I guess I'll just sign up on Wednesday and see what happens.

As someone who is absolutely terrible in the GT-One, I am very glad there's a mandatory stop in this race. The GT-One (and probably CLK) can do this race on one set of tyres, but the Class One cars can't, so without the mandatory stop even someone bad like me who is faster in the Audi would have to use the Toyota. But with it I can at least run the RS5, accept I'm getting overtaken on the Mulsanne lap 1, and just pray it rains.

Y'know, the last time I did a race at the Circuit de la Sarthe and there was a mandatory pit-stop, I recall just passing through the pits without changing my tires nor refueling, and ultimately gained a few positions upon finishing because evidently, not everyone got the memo. But this race seems notably longer, plus we'll be using Racing Mediums, so it may not be as easy for a player to forget the pit stop. That's all assuming there's no rain, either.

Now, the best times for free practice seem to be 3:32.xxx, so I think even if a particular lobby had something resembling that pace, we could be looking at a race that lasts at least 35 minutes, but likely less than 40. I'm definitely looking forward to it! I'll likely enter the 3pm or 4pm slots, as I have work until 2pm that day - then I have my first session of a weekly acting class in the evening!

EDIT: Now, I know the TS020 is the go-to by quite a bit - at least if the free practice time leaderboard says anything - but I wonder how many players in my particular lobby will potentially pick something else? I would be profoundly surprised if anyone picks any of the six GT500 cars or the Audi RS5 DTM, as I think they have too much downforce for Le Mans - especially Mulsanne where the extra downforce will really hold those cars back as they accelerate out of each chicane. So I think the most likely alternative picks would be the two late-90s GT1 racers that did indeed race at Le Mans IRL. That is, unless they actually allowed us to tinker with the downforce for this round - now that would be real interesting indeed!

Last edited:
Slip would definitely help but not 10 seconds of help. Wondering if the host forgot to turn on the BoP giving the cars more power than they'll have during the actual race? Only thing I can think of.
It was BOP for sure because to find the lobby I always use the filter gr2 and BOP. Really strange...

It was BOP for sure because to find the lobby I always use the filter gr2 and BOP. Really strange...
Maybe the lobby owner had boost turned on? I could imagine that kicking in quite strongly if you pit before the others and you're suddenly 30 seconds back from the leader after rejoining.

Maybe the lobby owner had boost turned on? I could imagine that kicking in quite strongly if you pit before the others and you're suddenly 30 seconds back from the leader after rejoining.
I guess this might be although lap time was normal around 1:40 low. I have the replay saved I will review it later

GTWS is back... WE. Are sooo back. I'm really hyped! Although i kinda dislike the racing on wednesdays..
Now that i think about it, i don't think i can race on the wednesdays... Is every round on a wednesdsay?

PMK
GTWS is back... WE. Are sooo back. I'm really hyped! Although i kinda dislike the racing on wednesdays..
Now that i think about it, i don't think i can race on the wednesdays... Is every round on a wednesdsay?
Wednesday & Saturdays.
Yeah the weekdays are a pain for me too now I’m in GT1 league. Before I was to pick a choose my slots around work (or even bunk off work), but now for me they are 6/8/10pm which are just awkward times.

Still not feeling this Nations race at Le Mans. Found a seconds extra in pace, but still feel like I’m too slow.

When I was doing test races -- starting in pole against one other car in Custom Races -- I felt like the Opt time was lower than it should be. Not to the degree that you saw, but somewhere around 2-3 seconds. Maybe there's a bug with the way the opt time is calculated on that track.2

As for other race preparations, I've reached the point where my pace has plateaued and I'm alternating between feeling "This might be okay", and "I'm doomed".

I managed to get my fastest Free Practice lap down to 3:40.9 this morning, which felt like it was pretty close to as fast as I can drive that track. Maybe there are a few more tenths in there, but I don't see it improving much before Wednesday. It ranked in the high 2300s globally, so nothing to brag about.

I've been doing some full-field custom races for practice. I'd started by choosing Gr.2 opponents, but now I've switched to using the one-make setting so that I'm racing only against GT-Ones. That feels more realistic.

I'm starting to come to terms with heavy damage. Those AI drivers brake in the strangest places, which means I have now gotten a fair bit of practice driving with front aero damage after the inevitable contact. I'm learning to leave lots of room on the twisty bits and wait to pass on the long straights. I doubt it will be a useful lesson for the race, though, as I expect I'll be one holding other drivers up and braking at points that they find strange.

I tried a lobby race last night, with a mix of drivers. I was not driving well. I had a track limit penalty on all but 3 laps. It was in the dark, so I'm blaming that. I still managed to finish 2nd... after 4 of the 7 drivers quit.

Maybe this is okay. Maybe I'm doomed. We'll see.

When I was doing test races -- starting in pole against one other car in Custom Races -- I felt like the Opt time was lower than it should be. Not to the degree that you saw, but somewhere around 2-3 seconds. Maybe there's a bug with the way the opt time is calculated on that track.2

As for other race preparations, I've reached the point where my pace has plateaued and I'm alternating between feeling "This might be okay", and "I'm doomed".

I managed to get my fastest Free Practice lap down to 3:40.9 this morning, which felt like it was pretty close to as fast as I can drive that track. Maybe there are a few more tenths in there, but I don't see it improving much before Wednesday. It ranked in the high 2300s globally, so nothing to brag about.

I've been doing some full-field custom races for practice. I'd started by choosing Gr.2 opponents, but now I've switched to using the one-make setting so that I'm racing only against GT-Ones. That feels more realistic.

I'm starting to come to terms with heavy damage. Those AI drivers brake in the strangest places, which means I have now gotten a fair bit of practice driving with front aero damage after the inevitable contact. I'm learning to leave lots of room on the twisty bits and wait to pass on the long straights. I doubt it will be a useful lesson for the race, though, as I expect I'll be one holding other drivers up and braking at points that they find strange.

I tried a lobby race last night, with a mix of drivers. I was not driving well. I had a track limit penalty on all but 3 laps. It was in the dark, so I'm blaming that. I still managed to finish 2nd... after 4 of the 7 drivers quit.

Maybe this is okay. Maybe I'm doomed. We'll see.
I have a similar pace to you. That leaderboard with times in the low 30s seems 'broken'; I mean it seems unreal! I know its a long lap (like nord) but being 8-10 secs off the leaders feels rough. On the other hand, in my custom races I'm pretty close to consistently hitting that low 40. Since there is a required pit and tires aren't really an issue, I'll wait until I receive some damage.

Not sure if I'm goign to make it this week, but I've been running the custom races as practice.

Welcome to heavy damage! Yeah, those AI are just straight up jerks with the brake checking, happens to me all the time. In my gtws experience it is the first few turns or the first lap where I always seem to get aero damage to the rear. Even in these lobbies, guys just have to push,push. And there is always some guy in pre-race reminding everyone of heavy damage. Sometimes it is the guy that hits me, grrrrr.

Good luck!

Isn’t the start line and finish line is a different position. I think the race start line is near the pit exit, where the finish line is a lot earlier.
Spa 24 layout had that issue. Was saying my opt time was like 10 seconds quicker, but lap 1 you miss T1.
Snap!

Tried a couple of different Gr. 2 cars in the free practice mode within the Nations Cup menu. Started at around 3:48 and got it down to 3:40.612 (CLK) in the end after 20 laps with different cars. 8s off the first place 💀

Tried the Toyota and will 100% NOT use it 😂 Can't really say why but I just don't like driving it (at LeMans). But it's clearly the fastest car and in capable hands probably unbeatable.

Most fun was the Lexus RC F but only managed a 3:42.6 with it. Loosing 2s per lap compared to the CLK would be too brutal.

Think I'll go with the CLK.

Tried a couple of different Gr. 2 cars in the free practice mode within the Nations Cup menu. Started at around 3:48 and got it down to 3:40.612 (CLK) in the end after 20 laps with different cars. 8s off the first place 💀
This is the thing I hate about racing at Nordschleife/Le Mans/St Croix. Like, I know that logically I'm the same percentage of time away as I normally am, but I still tend to find the big numbers more discouraging than gaps at a normal sized track.

This is the thing I hate about racing at Nordschleife/Le Mans/St Croix. Like, I know that logically I'm the same percentage of time away as I normally am, but I still tend to find the big numbers more discouraging than gaps at a normal sized track.
Same.

In the LeMans TT a couple of weeks ago I was also 8s of first place so around the same here but 8s is just such a big number. I mean it's better then 9s or more 😂

Last edited:
Is there a trick to the Toyota? I just can’t seem to find consistency with it after 20 or so laps today

My biggest issue is I’m assuming the aerodynamics of it? Sector 1 I’m having a real hard time getting the car to rotate through the corners, I began trail braking a bit more and that seemed to help but other times it just seems to want to carry on in a straight line. Any recommendations on Brake Bias?

I’m really struggling to break 3:40 which is 8 seconds a lap off the top splits. I know I’m usually between 1.5 - 3 seconds off the top times and maybe because it’s a longer lap that threshold has increased but I can’t really go any faster

Any ideas on what a good lap time would be for mid A rank? I have absolutely no way of gauging how near or off the pace I am and it currently feels like I’m way off it 😂

I also did some free practice at Le Mans today with the TS020, but my best time is about a whole ten seconds off the top. Indeed, my place on the leaderboard is a little over 4000th, but I have no idea how people are finding a whole ten seconds.

Is there a trick to the Toyota? I just can’t seem to find consistency with it after 20 or so laps today

My biggest issue is I’m assuming the aerodynamics of it? Sector 1 I’m having a real hard time getting the car to rotate through the corners, I began trail braking a bit more and that seemed to help but other times it just seems to want to carry on in a straight line. Any recommendations on Brake Bias?

I’m really struggling to break 3:40 which is 8 seconds a lap off the top splits. I know I’m usually between 1.5 - 3 seconds off the top times and maybe because it’s a longer lap that threshold has increased but I can’t really go any faster

Any ideas on what a good lap time would be for mid A rank? I have absolutely no way of gauging how near or off the pace I am and it currently feels like I’m way off it 😂
yeah, a lot of us seem to be ~8secs off leaders; it just feels demoralizing but it's the nature of a longer lap. I'm also wondering how that is going to play in the race. I'm low,mid A and I haven't broken 40 yet, although in custom races with tire wear, I've been close and some of my faster laps have been towards the redder tires. When there is tire wear involved, I tend to custom practice more than hot lapping.

I'd be curious to see a histogram of top times, I wonder if the lap times get more frequent around the :40 mark with a long tail towards the leaders?

I am still having hard time choosing between CLK vs GT-One. While I set my personal best with the GT-One, the CLK was only 0.2 sec slower.

Consistency winner - CLK. The CLK seemed more consistent due to higher grip, with lap times mostly 3:43.xxx. The GT-One is a bit harder to be more consistent with due to lower grip, with the lap times being either 3:42.xxx or 3:44.xxx.

Incident avoidance winner - GT-One. Since most folks will be driving the GT-One, driving it as well would help in minimizing incidents caused due to different braking points and cornering grip.

Livery - tie :D. I got this awesome GT-One livery from the showcase. The CLK livery was done by me which has gone through constant changes as it used to be my most used car (the only car which has engine and body rigidity gone down to 'normal'.)
IMG_0670.JPG

Hmm... Just for comparison I'm low B rated, 3:40.6 with the CLK. Probably hard to pin a time to the DR because racing and hot laping are 2 types of shoes but I would guess (from some Daily races against A drivers when the playerbase was low do to time of day) that they are 2s per lap faster on a normal track (depending on the track and car of course). LeMans is twice as long as most tracks.

So I would guess, and it's just guessing, that A should be roughly 3 to 4s faster.

Last edited:
Hmm... Just for comparison I'm low B rated, 3:40.6 with the CLK. Probably hard to pin a time to the DR because racing and hot laping are 2 types of shoes but I would guess (from some Daily races against A drivers when the playerbase was low do to time of day) that they are 2s per lap faster on a normal track (depending on the track and car of course). LeMans is twice as long as most tracks.

So I would guess, and it's just guessing, that A should be roughly 3 to 4s faster.
Might just be that I need to put in a lot more laps so! Does the conditions on the track improve or something?

Might just have to give the CLK a run out, I won my race at Sardegne the last time and I’m quite comfortable with it and this is my first time driving the Toyota! Thanks! Good luck in your races mate 😁

I’m at the bottom of B rank and should have deranked to GT3 instead of entering in GT2. Going to be on painkillers so I’m probably going to be garbage. I took a shot at the 2J daily last night and was hit or miss in a couple races.

Shoutout to BLUNT GOBLIN in the minions car for making it through the start two wide with me. RIP him losing it immediately in curva grande because everyone forgets there’s fuel weight and cold tires.

In my gtws experience it is the first few turns or the first lap where I always seem to get aero damage to the rear. Even in these lobbies, guys just have to push,push. And there is always some guy in pre-race reminding everyone of heavy damage. Sometimes it is the guy that hits me, grrrrr.
Good to know. It sure seems like damage is something worth planning for. I was already planning a no-tire-change strategy for Wednesday's race, so I can be pretty flexible about when I go into the pits. My thinking right now is that I'll delay pitting as long as possible. If I can make it 9 laps without damage, I'll pit before the final lap. If I take damage before that, I'll pit and pray that no more comes afterwards.
I sure hope you are wrong, because I am nowhere close to that. 😨
Does the conditions on the track improve or something?
I'd guess it is more from the weight of the car dropping as the fuel burns off.

Don't worry, 3:40s are about right for mid A. Le Mans is just one of those tracks where the pros really pull ahead because confidence is everything. The way they carry speed through and exit corners here is wild.

I'm around the A/A+ crossover and my best is a 3:38.2, absolute optimal would barely get into the 3:37s. Looking at the leaderboards, that's in the right range compared to the people I usually get matched up with.

Back