Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,073 comments
I haven't raced for months because of work, what's the general pecking order these days with the balance patches?

Are Supras, Ford GT & 911 still clear cut number 1 options?

I know there'll be a few that excel at different circuits but is there a general drivetrain that's superior?

The obvious answer is to assign points so that 1st in 2nd split is lower than last in top split and so on.
That would be a bad move. The "excercise" would then become: gain as much DR before a race to get into top split and always get good results. A better solution imho would be to take DR out of the equasion by having every driver do pre race qualifying times of a lap/few laps and sort splits accordingly. Then it's ok to follow your suggestion, but be aware that 1st place in first split would gain thousands of points with a driver field of 1600+ A+ and A drivers. Personally I think a small overlap is ok. Keeps nr 16 in split 1 still wanting to do better so as to not fall behind nr. 1 in split 2.

Just did the first Asia/Oceania GT2 slot, pretty straight forward sprint race. Started P3, finished P3. The Gr.4 NSX is quite nice to drive. I had the added challenge of a loose/worn out desk clamp on my T248, by lap 10 it was sliding along my desk every time I made a turn. I have a wheel stand coming (long overdue) so hopefully it'll arrive before the next round. May have to sit out the GR Cup tomorrow though.

Glad I'm not the only one that seems to be struggling a bit @ Interlagos. I'm in the Supra and it's definitely not feeling anywhere near as planted as it was last round @ the Ring. Tempted to just skip this round, but we'll see how I'm feeling about it tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure that it was an issue in Nations for one region last time out. I think it was Oceania, where there's basically one spot for two countries and one of them ran only the first half of rounds and almost all the top drivers from that nation sat out the back half.

Although I think that it's an issue peculiar to Asia/Oceania due to the lower number of top-rated drivers from a smaller number of nations massively skewing the points for the "top split" races depending on their attendance.
Yep, it was us. People with high Dr were getting messaged by the the top ranked driver (I think) asking them not to race in the final round so the points were reduced….

I haven't raced for months because of work, what's the general pecking order these days with the balance patches?

Are Supras, Ford GT & 911 still clear cut number 1 options?

I know there'll be a few that excel at different circuits but is there a general drivetrain that's superior?
Pretty much. Nsx has been high on leaderboards. Genesis X still quick. GTR. Personally I’ve gone with Lexus for something different and am finding it really competitive

Not a really eventful race for me. Door 1, Q1 in a good but not great lap.

I knew Q2 from previous round, where he was way faster than me. I missed my braking point for turn 4 in the second lap and he passed me. I managed to keep his pace, but without chances of trying a pass. We both were faster than everyone else and made a big gap to P3.

I wasn't able to really apply pressure, so for the last laps I just played it safe to secure P2.

9am EMEA. Decent slot, 154 points up for grabs. Me in one of my two key races in the Vantage V8 which I earmarked for it's straight line speed. I was the only Aston on the grid....lets get going. Door number 7.

Qualifying starts - only time for one quick lap? Better nail it. I'm first out of the pits, about 2s ahead of the rest of them - meaning I didn't need to worry about any dive bombers as long as I could keep it clean on the pit lap and quick lap. Came around in a 1.40.086 - 6 tenths off my best but hopefully it's okay. 2nd to last finisher comes round JUST slower than me in a 1.40.104! It's pole for the lone UK driver in the Aston Martin!

18f66cb07cd85-screenshotUrl.jpg

Race begins after a panic because we were held stationary for maybe 10 seconds before we all got going. Someone down the grid left and then we all got going. Lap 1 finishes, got the French 2nd place driver about 0.3 seconds behind, with a pretty sizeable gap to 3rd and below already.

This race was MEGA. Clearly the NSX is quicker in the Infield, but I have the power advantage. A couple of laps in a row, the NSX can get just about alongside on the main straight, but once they pull out of the slipstream I can keep just enough ahead to pick my line and drive defensively through the Senna "S". This carries on for.... Well. All 10 laps! Every lap is rinse and repeat, I pull away a bit down the first two straights, and they catch right up by the top of the hill. My hands are hurting, I'm shaking.

This is the scene into the S at the start of the final lap, the crowd are going wild....

18f66cc032b79-screenshotUrl.jpg

Oh no! I run a tad wide at the Bico de Pato, putting a wheel on the grass.... This would be awful but it would be equally deserved if the NSX could overtake and take advantage.

As we head into the final corner...

18f66cc24cd33-screenshotUrl.jpg

NSX takes the outside.... His nose is just ahead! But both of us drive cleanly, I leave enough room for them to make a clean exit. As we exit, my power advantage gives me just what I need to edge back ahead on the inside and..... Victory for the Aston Martin!!!

18f66cb9ee022-screenshotUrl.jpg

Giving me my first ever world series win! Absolutely buzzing. Clean race bonus as well as it was just beautiful driving from both the Englishman and the talented French driver.

Seems like 3rd and 4th also finished neck and neck - although on the replay it seems like they weren't as clean coming down the final straight!

18f66cb7c1778-screenshotUrl.jpg

I was 0.018s ahead after qualy, and 0.18s ahead after 10 laps. I would love to have kept driving that race. Anyway.... 154 points, now up to 284 for the series. Really enjoyed that and I will celebrate my first ever WS win in style tonight!

A case of what ifs in today's races.

9am slot
Surprised myself with a 5th place on the grid.
Immediately jumped the car ahead due to both needing to shift as soon as I launched and the NA mustang pulling right away.
The two ahead immediately set about battling and on lap 2 the inevitable happened. Into Descido do Lago they collided sending the Porsche sideways and leaving the Lexus with a 4 second penalty. Up into P2 I go, P1 had already checked out. I pulled away a bit as they fought behind but eventually they began to catch. An AMG tried their luck first and I defended well throughout sector 2 and did so well as to rebuff them back into the clutches of P4 so they could fight. A lap later and it was the other drivers turn having got past the AMG. Their Trophy was able to counter the Mustang in Ferradura where I was having my biggest issues. With no mass having been dropped from the Stang it was still quite heavy and I nicknamed it Jabba. Extra slowing and still it understeers through here. Lap 9 and the Megane is better through Pinheirinho and taps my rear quarter and I start to go sideways. They then follow through with a second hit and off to the barrier I go.

I'm about 80% certain it was a mistake, but of course they do not wait and keep P2, which of course means they are not that sorry. I slide again coming through the hairpin and end up P10 in the end. Not feeling great I wanted to go again.

10am slot
Got another P5 on the grid. Again I pull better than P4 but go into T1 side by side this time. I come out ahead and they drop off me. I get past the next car into P3 and then I am closing in on the front 2. A gap starts to form behind. Then I loose concentration thinking about perhaps getting the podium I deserved from the last race. Braking into Descido do Lago I clip the grass and the car slides towards the corner. I can't quite miss the barrier and spin around. I loose a few places and again I'm feeling annoyed but at least it's at myself this time. The car again decides to slide through the same hairpin as before although I do not know if I had help from a Porsche behind. I can't hold it and we both go off. They can get going again but I decide to play doughnuts in the grass. DFL but quickly grab P14. I make my way back to P11 before the end. Still not a satisfactory result.

11am slot
Only P7 on the grid this time. However the race itself was quite good with close battling throughout. I pass a Ferrari on lap 8 and of course with the slip on lap 9 they are on me. However they decided to just send it at Bico do Pato. Of course they skirt wide and shove me off at the same time. This allows a Porsche back through. Annoyed again I get them on the straight and close on the Ferrari. However I ran out of time and finish P7. I increase my points at least but still I get shoved out of a better position.

Plus points:
The Mustang seems competitive at my level, twice getting myself to the front of the grid and in touching distance of battling for a win.
It's fairly stable too.

Onto the next one.

After a two year hiatus from the game I joined manufacturers today with a Manu that's new to me but had great potential in my tests.

That test was between the Lambo, Nismo and NSX. I tested all rounds from 2 to 6 and weighed some of the tracks higher than others in my final decision. Ultimately it came down to Lambo and NSX pretty fast as I couldn't do anything at any decent pace in the Nismo.
Besides that I'm rather beginning to enjoy the MR cars, were I used to be afraid of them.

At least - for me - PD has come a long way since 2022 when the game was simply unbearable. But I digress. Altough it was clear that the Lambo's were fast as hell they were also pretty nasty to drive. Even the Gr4 car with its 4WD had its scary moments. Those moments were almost absent in the NSX and with it I was able to do my best times at Suzuka and Fuji. So in the end the NSX has won my faith and I joined them.

NSX mau 2024.JPG

Enter Interlagos.

Boy was I nervous... It showed too in my qualifying. I love Interlagos as a track, I'm just not good at it. So being able to do (at times) a high 41 in qualifying during tt was a surprise. Too bad I couldn't replicate that in the race so started P9.

Race itself was decent, clean and people were mostly respectful. two guys left the race and I was able to pass 3 drivers netting a P6.
Could go again, may still do but this time around I my thinking is: as long as I'm leaving the race in a better mood than I started, had a clean one and placed myself somewhere in the neighborhood where I think I aught to be, than I'm calling it a day.

So this might be it... but who knows... the days is still young and we have ten slots to choose from ;)

Good luck and have fun to all those still having to drive!

Cheers

Seth.

@OJBrit I was in one of your races (in disguise). Got shoved wide on lap 1 so never got close enough to say hello.

Wasn’t sure about doing this season. A horrid run of dailies made me delete the game for a week but I decided to give it one last chance.

Down in Euro GT3 now. Waited a minute to get clear air for my one-shot and put the Lexus P2 (1:41:439) behind a fellow RC F.

On their bumber through lap 1. At the first bend I went wide to avoid a dive-bombing P3 - a bit of contact made me think I could get away with some shortcutting but alas the game disagreed. 2 sec penalty dropped me to 5th.

Managed to close back up to the leaders. The other Lexus scarpered up the road whilst 4 of us spent the last 8 laps wheel-to-wheel. Clean hard fair racing, restores my faith a little. A Ferrari made an error on the very last bend and gifted me a podium (along with a rare fastest lap).

IMG_4311.jpeg

A good race even without strategy. The Lexus has plenty of grunt but still nimble, I like it.

Last edited:
Three times a charm this time!

EMEA, GT2, mid B/S

First two slots were meh, with me making mistakes and qualifying 7th in both - got caught in the mid-pack chaos and subsequent shenanigans. Once I got punted and pushed off the track, the other time I made a mistake and spun on my own accord leaving me in the back. Finished 6th and 11th respectively.

For the third slot I hoped to redeem myself. It was 92 points lobby and I got door 4.
Waited in the pits to the last possible moment and was one of the last to start a timed lap. It wasn't the best, but 1:40.3 was enough for 2nd. Good place to try to escape the traffic madness.
It was a decent start, despite very conservative braking for turn 1 I was clear of the guys behind, only the pole sitter, the South African Genesis, was ahead.
GTWS24-Manu2-startlap.jpg

We made a break from the rest as three Porsches behind fought harshly for the 3rd spot allowing me to make the gap bigger.
First few laps the Genesis was quick and was a little over a second in front making the race fastest lap in the process, but then they slowed down a bit and I found a good race pace of mid to high 1:40s. I got closer and closer, especially gaining on the approach and braking to turn 8 (my strong point in this combo).
So, I'm sitting close behind the Genesis but I don't see a place to overtake without making unwanted contact on corner entry, gap to 3rd is over 4 seconds. For many laps the story is the same; I get very close in the Infield and Genesis defends that on fast parts.
But on lap 9 the pressure boiled over for the South African as he cut just a little the exit of Senna esses and received 0.5 second penalty. That was all I needed, sat behind him comfortably and overtook him on the outside of bend 13th going into final lap.
GTWS24-Manu2-leadovertake.jpg

Very good last lap of 1:40.5 allowed me to calmly finish for winner's trophy.
GTWS24-Manu2-result.jpg

92 points for the win tasted very good and are the best prize for racing at this fabulous track!
GTWS24-Manu2-victory.jpg

BTW, it was my 100th race in sport mode and 15th win at that:
GT7-sportmode100races.jpg

I've spent a fair bit of time yesterday and this morning trying to get better at Interlagos with the Gr.3 Viper, but don't have much to show for it. I did manage to get my best lap in FP down to 1:33.7, which is something, I guess. I've done a bunch more lobby races and still finished dead last or 2nd last in all of them.

Regardless, now that I've spent all this time practicing, I really want to give this race at try. I'm going to see if I can make it for one of the later slots. I'm not expecting much. If I can finish better than last, less than 26 seconds off the lead, I'll consider it a win.

That would be a bad move. The "excercise" would then become: gain as much DR before a race to get into top split and always get good results. A better solution imho would be to take DR out of the equasion by having every driver do pre race qualifying times of a lap/few laps and sort splits accordingly. Then it's ok to follow your suggestion, but be aware that 1st place in first split would gain thousands of points with a driver field of 1600+ A+ and A drivers. Personally I think a small overlap is ok. Keeps nr 16 in split 1 still wanting to do better so as to not fall behind nr. 1 in split 2.
I don’t understand the logic here. Are you saying this would be bad because only the best racers would be in top split?

Fast time trialing is not the same skill as fast racing.

There seems to be this weird assumption that anyone can grind to 100k DR. The whole point of DR is that it reflects your level of racing. In that respect, I can see no reason why the 16th ranked driver should be forced to accept fewer points than the 17th (or even 21st) ranked driver.

I don’t understand the logic here. Are you saying this would be bad because only the best racers would be in top split?

Fast time trialing is not the same skill as fast racing.

There seems to be this weird assumption that anyone can grind to 100k DR. The whole point of DR is that it reflects your level of racing. In that respect, I can see no reason why the 16th ranked driver should be forced to accept fewer points than the 17th (or even 21st) ranked driver.
No, I'm not saying that the best would be in top split, quit the opposite: the drivers that grind DR to the max BEFORE the race would be in top split and then would not have to do nothing to prove themselves in the race to get better points than the next guy in lower splits. The work was already done before.

I'm sure grinding DR is difficult, but as long as you end up in the first half of the 16 your DR goes up so all it takes is time.

But in the end it doesn't concern me all that much. I'm just here for my average nice B-rated bubble and that suits me just fine :)

First place Victory with the Renault Trophy '11

This car is NOT suited for this track. Its top speed is terrible and understeers if you're not trail braking effectively. This car is all about momentum.

Qualifying time of 1:39.404 so I was lucky enough to start at the front of the pack. It's an absolute must as everyone I've come across has been dirty as hell.

I lose time on the straights but make up for it by excellent grip mid corner.

No, I'm not saying that the best would be in top split, quit the opposite: the drivers that grind DR to the max BEFORE the race would be in top split and then would not have to do nothing to prove themselves in the race to get better points than the next guy in lower splits. The work was already done before.

I'm sure grinding DR is difficult, but as long as you end up in the first half of the 16 your DR goes up so all it takes is time.

But in the end it doesn't concern me all that much. I'm just here for my average nice B-rated bubble and that suits me just fine :)
I can assure you that once you’re at the pointy end a top 8 finish in daily races does not necessarily improve your DR. You can’t easily grind DR higher than your talent allows.

I am nowhere near alien level and my DR often goes down with a p5 finish.

My first race as an A+ and it couldn’t have gone much worse. Really peed off.

IMG_9987.jpeg

Qualy didn’t go too bad with a 7th although my lap was about 0.8 slower than my free practice of 32.5. Didn’t realise you only get 3 minutes!! One lap shoot out.

Lap 3 or 4 got front and rear damage in a concertina jam in midfield and that was the end of that. Dropped like a stone. DFL :(

That's definitely a one-and-done for me. After fearing it would be a death sprint with super strong slipstream from the discussion here, it turned out it's set to Real for the race rather than Custom.

Even with that said, sprint races are not my thing. I prefer longer races with pit strategy and the like. Sprint races on Hards are even worse. One-shot qualifying? Urf. Interlagos is also one of my weaker tracks, so with all of that in mind I wasn't expecting much from this at all. Imagine my surprise when I stuck my Alfa on P3. :boggled:

I went deep on turn 1 on lap 2 and dropped a couple of positions to a Mercedes and a Ferrari on the run down to turn 4. I just slotted back in line and carried on, trying not to let it bother me because P5 would still have been a great result considering how I really wasn't expecting to be this far forward at all.

The Porsche in P2 went up the back of the polesitter Genesis at Ferradura, giving the Genesis damage but coming away unscathed itself. Looking at the replay, I'm really not sure how things worked that way... That caused the Genesis to start falling back, eventually being swallowed up by the Ferrari, Mercedes and myself by the beginning of lap 5 sector 2 and eventually even further.

On lap 6, the Ferrari went too far onto the kerbs at Descida do Lago and couldn't get the car to turn, so the Mercedes and myself both swiped the position as he tried to recover. Back up to P3, and cue me being VERY surprised that I had both managed to hold on in this sprint and also not be the one making daft mistakes from the pressure.

I followed the Mercedes around for a while and I think the pressure started getting to him as he looked incredibly twitchy in places. He eventually got a very poor exit out of Junção on lap 10 which let me get in front going into turn 1, but he must have recomposed himself because he stayed close enough to hang around my rear right coming out of Descida do Lago so I couldn't really defend, then send it up the inside into Ferradura.

Ended up following him to the end for a shock P3, 213 points and a clean race bonus to boot. Absolutely over the moon with that as I had this pegged as a dead round!

Last edited:
Low B, 79Pts for first, Door 15

Qualified on P5 which surprised me a bit.

Race was not great though. Really tight race, had some decent laps, got to P3 and was very close to P2 but some mistakes let the spaniard behind me closed the gap and he forced his way to P3 with not so clean moves. After the race 3 more guys complained about his moves

Over the next couple of laps I cought 2 .5s penalties for track limit violation and dropped to P5.

Not the worst race but the last results at Interlagos were so good for me that I expected a bit more. Maybe a bit too much 🙈

Well off to the next round 😅

18f684723ad14-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear so many success stories today, and condolences to those who had bad races. Today was one of those days where everything went right for me (a rarity) I managed to qualify with a 1:32.885 which started me in 5th in a 300+ point lobby. My target was to finish where I started and pick up 252 points. Pole was Pirata666 on an alt account. Clearly in the race for some seal clubbing, as he is usually a 2nd/3rd split driver. In the past, Interlagos was a kryptonie track for me, but about a year ago, one day it just clicked and I started to get podium finishes there. The race today was pretty straight forward. 3rd place spun on Lap 4 and I moved up one position. The front 2 guys flew away but I managed to keep 3rd honest with a 2.5 sec gap
(he was also a Porsche driver). Toward lap 9, I made a few minor errors, which meant the guy behind in a Ford GT18 was closing fast. I kept him at bay until lap 13 (the final lap) when he really put his foot down. I knew if he caught my slipstream it was all over for me. I crossed the line literally 2 tenths infront of him and a healthy 265 points for 4th place. I've now scored my best ever score over 2 rounds, in my whole time playing GT. By round 3 I'll be on 551 points. So I'm just going to enjoy the ride and hope I can keep this purple patch going.

Last edited:
Surprisingly amazing race when I expected a snoozefest due to zero strategy.

As usual with my lobbies, it was squeaky clean race except for a slight incident at lap 1 where two cars overshot braking at T4 at Descida do Lago, dropping me by four positions. I magically took back all the four positions by start of the next lap as all the drivers who got ahead of me struggled getting used to cold tires and/or heavy fuel.

1715446400191.png

Somewhere along the race, it finally clicked to me why this blue yellow Lamborghini and its name seems familiar. It is @Stilva!

A few position exchanges between Stilva and I in pics:
1715446829193.png

1715446867497.png

before Stilva finally beat me at the finish line.
1715446896567.png

Screw you man, Stilva. I just wanted to have a relaxing race but you kept relentlessly chasing me throughout the race and then denied me triple-digit points by such a narrow margin. :D

I kept relentlessly blocking Stilva at almost every corner for multiple laps and whenever I fell behind him, I had no choice but to relentlessly chase him because of another guy constantly breathing on my neck. 0.5 sec gap front and back almost throughout.

-----

Yeah, I know I have no business being here, but I wanted to nail that 39 lap in FP.
:eek:
This is legit alien territory. You really nailed every single corner!!

Last edited:
IMG_9989.jpeg

Risked going again and it paid off! At least it puts me in a better mood for the rest of the night. :lol:

Qualy was actually awful. Skidded off the kerb at the Senna esses and then went too wide round the double right hander for a 1:34.0 putting me 11th.

Had a really good race though, slowly working my way through the field and into 6th with a lap to go. Feels impressive (to me anyway) to get 5 places in a high ranked sprint race, all from pure overtaking rather than peoples mistakes :lol: Brought it home for 210 points so makes up for DFL in the last! Next stop Daytona!

IMG_9988.jpeg

GT2 DR.B/S

After a poor start at Nurbs, thought I might improve here.

Unfortunately I picked BMW this time around because I have liked the GR.3 car recently. However the GR.4 drives like an absolute cow.

Started in P9, finished P11. I was eaten alive on the straights and made some mistakes. GR.4 cars on hard tires are awful, I avoid the combo on Daily Races so I have no idea why I thought I might fair better than the last round.

I'm gonna give Deep Forest Reverse & Suzuka a miss and try again at Daytona.

Glad to read some people are having good results today.

This was my first race of the Manu Cup as I had tickets to a baseball game we had purchased a few months ago and I was not going to miss that on Wednesday. Anyway, in my practice sessions I had a heck of a time controlling the Huracan with the car sliding all over the place. I did get the car under control and just missed out on a 1:39.XXX lap.

I enter the Noon GT2 Americas race and I had no idea that @appu was also in the lobby. I didn't realize it was you or I would said hello. Not a fan of the "one shot" qualifying session as it takes me 2 laps to really get my rhythm going. I do qualify P6, so not to shabby seeing I haven't raced in a few months.. On lap 1 I run wide on the exit of turn 4 and get an off track penalty. My cold tires didn't help there, but it is what it is. So, I get into the great race with appu and I get by them eventually. Then another off track penalty in the same spot drops the spot back to appu. Then I just make a pass on the last corner and I was going to post the same picture.

before Stilva finally beat me at the finish line.
View attachment 1354693

Screw you man, Stilva. I just wanted to have a relaxing race but you kept relentlessly chasing me throughout the race and then denied me triple-digit points by such a narrow margin. :D

I kept relentlessly blocking Stilva at almost every corner for multiple laps and whenever I fell behind him, I had no choice but to relentlessly chase him because of another guy constantly breathing on my neck. 0.5 sec gap front and back almost throughout.
Great racing with you! I was honestly shocked that I chased you down and got you at the line. That got me P6 and a nice 100 points. Races with members here is always a good time. Hopefully I'll see you again in the next round.

Back