Gran Turismo's 2022 Online Championship Announcement Date is Not What We Expected

• Thread starter Famine
  • 61 comments
Last edited:
It also should hopefully end the myth/misblame of FIA interference in fictional tracks' redesigns - this has been a going on myth for the life of GTS.

People still perpetuating this myth even after it was fairly clear that track redesigns, especially in a GT7 context, were done by PD and PD themselves, years after the fact, boggle my mind.

I guess we’ll see now if drivers and teams can display their own sponsorships. If they can then it was clearly an FIA decision not to allow this in the last, and if not then we can surmise it’s Sony.

For any esport to flourish I feel it’s necessary to allow players and teams to earn revenue from sponsorships, thus increasing the chances of those drivers making a living purely from their driving.

This is what always confuses me about GT World Tour events. Most every racer with an eSports focus allows those drivers and eSports teams to run their own liveries. Not even including the fact that CDL League and the Halo Championship series sells skins for their specific teams. But not GT World Tour and FIA championship events.

It also didn't really help the game considering this, that the drivers were almost presented within a vacuum and gives me no real reason to care about the series in any way other then the specific drivers, and more often then not, only really the drivers that actually made something out of their World Tour wins. Doesn't really bode well for the rest of the program, no?

... and of those only one is definitively GT7. There's no other appearances in the 18 months GT7 has been officially a thing.
Even so, the stuff that's "definitively GT7" was actually a recycled material:
1640798376205.png

Even so, the stuff that's "definitively GT7" was actually a recycled material:
View attachment 1102419
Yep, but driving round Trial Mountain, therefore definitively GT7 - unlike the other items which could have been GT Sport (not sure about the Scape, but I can say the image for it was snapped in 2019).

Oh, also, this is the in-menu logo for the World Finals in GT7, as shown in June 2020. Notice anything different?

1640801920394.png

Last edited:
(...)There's no other appearances in the 18 months GT7 has been officially a thing.(...)
"And if you love to race – practice and compete in the FIA Championships and Sport Mode*." - on first gt7 available website (tough no longer fia mentioned in newest one)

Last edited:
Maybe they're just giving us something to keep us in the game rather then being restricted to "Dailies" which would turn a lot people off to GTS. It looks as though the FIAs will return in 7, which would make my GT7 experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

Maybe they're just giving us something to keep us in the game rather then being restricted to "Dailies" which would turn a lot people off to GTS. It looks as though the FIAs will return in 7, which would make my GT7 experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

Do you mean the championships being in 7 would make your experience more enjoyable or does it have to have the FIA branding?

The championships, whether FIA or otherwise would work. The FIA branding makes it sound official, which should encourage the competitors to race with respect. There is nothing in the game that I find more enjoyable then having a clean race with a competitor that also enjoys a clean race.

It might be a contract thing,FIA signed only on GT Sport and PD has to renegotiate with them for GT7 and that will come in a later announcement.Or maybe FIA just dipped who knows...

It might be a contract thing,FIA signed only on GT Sport and PD has to renegotiate with them for GT7 and that will come in a later announcement.Or maybe FIA just dipped who knows...
This Sounds for me Most likely. PD isnt doing any partnership without Official announcement. And so i think, too, this wont switch simple to GT7. There will surely follow an official announcement in the first half of 2022, wenn certainly the championship-saison starts.

Last edited:
If the FIA aren’t involved in GT7, why did PD have to go and mess with the layout of Trial Mountain and Deep Forest?!
The game is going to have 16 cars on track, most likely - it's probable that the track was finally altered due to not having been changed since the PS2 days, where there were only six cars on track.

If the FIA aren’t involved in GT7, why did PD have to go and mess with the layout of Trial Mountain and Deep Forest?!
Thats another important point. I cant imagine, this FIA thing wont continue. You shouldnt forget, GT Sport got member of olympic games, so thats a real honor for gran turismo Series, as the one and only racing game until now.

The game is going to have 16 cars on track, most likely - it's probable that the track was finally altered due to not having been changed since the PS2 days, where there were only six cars on track.
.. But thats no really reason, to chance significant elements of this tracks. They could make parts for e.g. wider, but thats no argument for me, to change the charachteristic of the originally track layout.

.. But thats no really reason, to chance significant elements of this tracks. They could make parts for e.g. wider, but thats no argument for me, to change the charachteristic of the originally track layout.
They changed it so you would have more overtaking opportunities in online races. I'm fine with that. The lack of overhanging trees is a bummer though.

The FIA was never involved in the design of the game's original circuits, it only ever certified the accuracy of the real ones. I don't know why this keeps coming up, given that the FIA's representative in these matters - Stephane Fillastre - told GTPlanet this directly in an interview we posted right here.
“Fantasy tracks is something completely different. We leave Gran Turismo with that, and we feel that’s right.”
PD has changed Deep Forest and Trial Mountain - and High Speed Ring - because it chose to do so.
snc
on first gt7 available website (tough no longer fia mentioned in newest one)
On the PlayStation site, yes - though as you say, it has since been removed - but it has never appeared on the official game site either.

There's always the likelihood that it runs on Sport AND GT7 using the same tracks. Considering the lack of availability of PS5s and the fact that Sport already has an established playerbase, I was kind of expecting them to run it on Sport at least for another year. Curious to see if Sport mode on GT7 runs synchronously with GT Sport. That's my expectation at least.

PD has changed Deep Forest and Trial Mountain - and High Speed Ring - because it chose to do so.
Fair enough. Interesting though, they’re going all out for nostalgia with GT7, they take the time to recreate these classic favorite tracks we’ve been requesting for so long, and then they change some of the most iconic parts of those tracks. I understand the need to adjust things for better proportions (I’m all for that), but come on PD, read the room, don’t mess with a good thing!

Still gonna play it, probably gonna love it. 🙂

Maybe someone from the FIA opened an account to play GTS online. Could be the steaming mound of manure created by both the lack of a penalty system and the disgraceful behaviour of some players offended them slightly? Perhaps they even reported their findings to someone important at the FIA?

The only surprise here is that it took so long for the FIA to realise what their name was now associated with.

Maybe someone from the FIA opened an account to play GTS online. Could be the steaming mound of manure created by both the lack of a penalty system and the disgraceful behaviour of some players offended them slightly? Perhaps they even reported their findings to someone important at the FIA?

The only surprise here is that it took so long for the FIA to realise what their name was now associated with.
Did you not watch the last F1 season? The driving standards and penalty implementation are very similar.

Given that PS5's are still very thin on the ground, and easier to get from scalpers than from Sony, why is this a surprise?

Given that PS5's are still very thin on the ground, and easier to get from scalpers than from Sony, why is this a surprise?
I don't follow the premise or the question.

Are you suggesting that the February start date, and lack of the initialism of "FIA" in the announcement, for the first Exhibition Series of the 2022 GT online championship is unsurprising because there's only ~20 million PS5s sold*? How do we get from "FIA name isn't on the GT Sport Exhibition Series" to "because ~20 million PS5s sold"?

*That's an estimate, before anyone runs to quote it; PS5 is roughly tracking PS4 sales 1:1, but sold-through (to consumers) rather than sold-in (to retailers); by this time in PS4's life, Sony had sold-in 19.9m consoles, so the PS5 is likely to be at 19.9m sold-through.

I dont know if you play other racing games but i do...

Lets give the example of Assetto Corsa Competizione(PC version), thats a racing SIM compared to the nature of GT that is a SIMCADE game..

In Assetto concerning track limits most of the times you get away with them, you have 3 warnings if you gain time.., if you lift most of the times you get away with them.
In Gt sport if you abuse track limits you just get a penalty.., so GT sport its more severe concerning mistakes, and you serve the penaltys that will impact your position, at least most of the times.

Colisions.., GT used to have penaltys also, sometimes the system got it wrong others got it right, was 50/50.
In Assetto Corsa basically if you collide or if someone crash into you or touch you youll get penalty always that impact your Safety rank..., wich means GT sport system was not perfect but sometimes was fair in Assetto Corsa if your a clean driver, that makes few mistakes the system will always fail.

Ah and other thing online races in competition servers on Assetto Corsa are dirty has hell, basically i dont remember a single race that theres no mess...
I can start in the back and if im luck to not be destroyed most of the times i finish top 10 / top 5 in 90% of the races.

Both games shine in private leagues with their own rules..., but online content including race quality or penaltys GT is not that bad, actually if you up your rank races most of the time are clean.
Both games have diferent aproach to penalty systems but both have flaws and will never be perfect.

Anyway hope FIA continues or some other version of FIA events i love to race in that modes and see the live events.

I don't follow the premise or the question.

Are you suggesting that the February start date, and lack of the initialism of "FIA" in the announcement, for the first Exhibition Series of the 2022 GT online championship is unsurprising because there's only ~20 million PS5s sold*? How do we get from "FIA name isn't on the GT Sport Exhibition Series" to "because ~20 million PS5s sold"?

*That's an estimate, before anyone runs to quote it; PS5 is roughly tracking PS4 sales 1:1, but sold-through (to consumers) rather than sold-in (to retailers); by this time in PS4's life, Sony had sold-in 19.9m consoles, so the PS5 is likely to be at 19.9m sold-through.
It's slightly ahead of the PS4, isn't it?

We’ll, if it’s not going to be FIA linked, maybe players can begin using their own liveries. Similar to these non-FIA championships:

Maybe after the debacle of Abu Dhabi PD have decided that the FIA badge no longer carries any prestige. Maybe they now see it as a toxic badge, which is associated with corruption. Seeing as GT sport had very close content ties with Hamilton, it wouldn't surprise me if PD moved away from FIA involvement. Kaz strikes me as a man of honesty and integrity. The FIA is anything but those things. Good riddance and bye bye. The franchise was great before FIA involvement, and it will be great without it.

Fair enough. Interesting though, they’re going all out for nostalgia with GT7, they take the time to recreate these classic favorite tracks we’ve been requesting for so long, and then they change some of the most iconic parts of those tracks. I understand the need to adjust things for better proportions (I’m all for that), but come on PD, read the room, don’t mess with a good thing!

Still gonna play it, probably gonna love it. 🙂
This is no different than the PS2 Trial Mountain having changes to look more realistic than PS1 TM
In the age of DLCs and live services an alternate more classic layout is totally possible if PD wants to do it in te future.

Maybe after the debacle of Abu Dhabi PD have decided that the FIA badge no longer carries any prestige. Maybe they now see it as a toxic badge, which is associated with corruption. Seeing as GT sport had very close content ties with Hamilton, it wouldn't surprise me if PD moved away from FIA involvement. Kaz strikes me as a man of honesty and integrity. The FIA is anything but those things. Good riddance and bye bye. The franchise was great before FIA involvement, and it will be great without it.
Jean Todt said Porsche 911s are terrible cars,that was the last straw for Kaz

Last edited:
Gran Turismo sport was basically a big experiment for the PD and Gran Turismo series... in terms of how they run an online championship. FIA involvement or not it will be very interesting to see how they run the championships in a "Complete" Gran Turismo. I have a left of field theory (with absolutely no evidence to support my theory) that PD will release another "Sport" version of the game in a year or 2 and then run their FIA backed championships off that game.

The "Road to GT7" Series just dropped, it runs from Feb 5 to Feb 26, "which marks the final official tournament on Gran Turismo Sport".
So it looks like the official championship is gonna move to GT7 as soon as it releases. FIA backing for championships in GT7 is still unclear though.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back