Gran Tursimo Brain Droppings: Random Thoughts, Theories, Ramblings and Inquiries

• Thread starter Mafio
  • 9 comments
United States
United States
Mafiodaproducer
This is a thread for all the weird, goofy and/or random thoughts that come across the mind while playing GT7.

THIS IS NOT A GRIEVANCE OR COMPLAINT THREAD
There are PLENTY of other threads for that.

I recently realized that the driver changes size according to the car their driving. This lead me to the conclusion that we don't control one driver, but any given driver at any given track at any given time. Its like the movie Ghost. We see our avatar, Patrick Swayze...but it's really Whoopi Goldberg.

The infamous Castrol Celica GT-4 Rally Car. The game has it rated at ~300 hp....

Fry GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

....is it REALLY tho?? Are they doing the thing????? Has anyone tested it out? Does GT account for manufacturer sandbagging or do the cars just perform at whatever power the manufacturer says the car does?

I maybe misremembering this, but in the old PS1 days, one of the draws into GT was the fact that you could race with "regular" cars. Looking about at it now, it was really just sports cars. I think ours dumb, childish brains didn't qualify a Nissan 240sx as a "sports cars". They were just "litte Japanese cars".

Driver's head position in PSVR is hilarious. I have tons of headroom in the Audi R18D, feel like I want to crank the seat up an inch or two.

In others, especially old classics, I pop into VR view and get a steering wheel in my face, like I'm an old man (which I am) who has forgotten his glasses (which I do) and is peering through the wheel trying to read the instruments (only done this in GT7 so far)

I believe I saw somewhere that the driving position can be adjusted by popping out of VR, adjusting the view in Cockpit View, then going back to VR. Still pretty funny though. I never knew a Countach was so spacious!

I also feel like the cars are about 0.9 scale. They all feel just a little smaller and narrower than I'd expect.

None of that stops me thinking that VR is the best thing to happen to computer driving games since the DFP. I love it! And the weird quirks that PD always manage to drop into their game give Gran Turismo a unique charm.

Yesterday I pulled in to the Sardegna pit flat out, behind two AI cars who had at least made some effort to slow down to the pit limit speed. They both vanished just before I got there, of course, which was a good thing because otherwise I'd have piled into the back of them at about 3 times their speed.

But then, it cuts to a scene from inside the garage, looking out at the pitlane and a pit crew waiting for their car to arrive, and instead of watching a car pull into the pit, my mind imagined three cars tumbling down the pitlane, past the crew, in a huge fireball.

If I had the skillz I'd make a video clip of that..

The infamous Castrol Celica GT-4 Rally Car. The game has it rated at ~300 hp....

Fry GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

....is it REALLY tho?? Are they doing the thing????? Has anyone tested it out? Does GT account for manufacturer sandbagging or do the cars just perform at whatever power the manufacturer says the car does?

Thinking on this some more, it would be funny if it is saying 300 but really has 350, performs like it has 350 and it wins every race you enter it in, except every time you race it you get disqualified. Also, if you replace the turbo with an "upgrade" turbo, the power inexplicably drops, but all you notice is that the car got slower.

It then gets reported as a glitch.

Last edited:
Driver's head position in PSVR is hilarious. I have tons of headroom in the Audi R18D, feel like I want to crank the seat up an inch or two.

In others, especially old classics, I pop into VR view and get a steering wheel in my face, like I'm an old man (which I am) who has forgotten his glasses (which I do) and is peering through the wheel trying to read the instruments (only done this in GT7 so far)

I believe I saw somewhere that the driving position can be adjusted by popping out of VR, adjusting the view in Cockpit View, then going back to VR. Still pretty funny though. I never knew a Countach was so spacious!

I also feel like the cars are about 0.9 scale. They all feel just a little smaller and narrower than I'd expect.

None of that stops me thinking that VR is the best thing to happen to computer driving games since the DFP. I love it! And the weird quirks that PD always manage to drop into their game give Gran Turismo a unique charm.

Yesterday I pulled in to the Sardegna pit flat out, behind two AI cars who had at least made some effort to slow down to the pit limit speed. They both vanished just before I got there, of course, which was a good thing because otherwise I'd have piled into the back of them at about 3 times their speed.

But then, it cuts to a scene from inside the garage, looking out at the pitlane and a pit crew waiting for their car to arrive, and instead of watching a car pull into the pit, my mind imagined three cars tumbling down the pitlane, past the crew, in a huge fireball.

If I had the skillz I'd make a video clip of that..
You can solve the problem of the VR view being too close to the steering wheel by looking slightly downwards before entering the VR view. If you are using a real steering wheel, I suggest looking just below the real steering wheel.

You guys think Kaz used to street race?

Im a RELIGIOUS user of Praiano’s tunes, but sometimes I wonder if having the rear of the car sitting up so high really necessary or does he just use it as a calling card of sorts? So when he’s racing online and sees a car pass by with its *** all in the air he’s like…

IMG_8609.gif

Im a RELIGIOUS user of Praiano’s tunes, but sometimes I wonder if having the rear of the car sitting up so high really necessary or does he just use it as a calling card of sorts?
I believe it's a game-physics exploit. Someone mentioned on the GT Sport board that the game applies down-force perpendicular to the car floor, so by increasing the rake you also increase the horizontal component of the down-force vector pointing backwards, giving additional forward thrust.

You could try asking @praiano63.

They both vanished just before I got there, of course, which was a good thing because otherwise I'd have piled into the back of them at about 3 times their speed.
I did that yesterday, except I got there before they disappeared. Both of us went flying, and then it cut to that ever so peaceful cut scene...

This issue has been solved "long ago" in GTT7 to my knowledge, alongside putting cars all high because it was used to reduce PP much more than it was affecting handling while at the same time increasing top speed.
You are correct in that it's no longer an exploit.
The high rear is to force weight onto the front wheels to overcome the understeer due to the stiffness of the suspension settings chosen in order to reduce weight transfer, it's just a fast way to get a lot of safe tunes out instead of understanding how the car behaves and tuning the suspension settings for the car's characteristics.
if this approach doesn't work then the car get's labelled as overpowered or horrible or in need of a chassis swap... which I find comical

Back