Grand Theft Auto 3D Trilogy Remaster Officially Revealed, Coming This Year

eeeewwwwww...

I'm glad I didn't spend 60 bucks for this. There's just so many things wrong with this game.
The rain looks like white paint and follows the player. The rain also glitches and can't be seen in front of sea water.
The rear lights on cars during night are not working, only brake lights light up.
The draw distance is too much, as if there's no atmosphere.
Some character models are cursed.
Player character doesn't point the gun where he shoots.
Some cutscenes are too dark, can't see character faces.
Helicopter rotor turns too slowly.
No raytracing.

Some things do look good.

Rockstar are going the way of Konami at this rate, surely a company who earns billions a year without even having to release a new game can invest some money and be passionate about these 3 classics games which made them the massive company they are now.

SA rain is very bad, needs changing.sometimes you cant see anything but white lines (rain) and have to stop and wait for it to pass. Seen a few over bugs but so far okay on series x. All in all, they could’ve done a much better job.

Meanwhile I did a bit of googling, got GTAIII on PC running the unofficial silent patch which fixes a bunch of things, making it more like PS2. Has support for a DS4 controller with GTAIV style config including onscreen prompts, fixed Widescreen scaling, running at 1080p60 even on my modest GT 1030.

Looks perfectly fine to me, how I remember it.

20211113232613_1.jpg

Well, this is all very disappointing. Was looking forward to this and was willing to look past some of the glitches/mistakes (after all the originals were far from perfect themselves). But after seeing some clips on Twitter and Reddit. A lot of the stuff is just inexcusable.

I'll spend my money on something else.

Last edited:
Maybe R* will fix the game.... or maybe they intentionally did it this way to "appease the fan base". I was debating if I would get this trilogy but after seeing all of the terribleness, I'm staying far away.

For kicks I downloaded the PS2 versions ported to PS4, and the definitive edition is better in most if not all respects. And if people think the character rendering is poor in the DEs, then I’m not sure what they’re comparing it to.

And give me the modern control layouts. The original GTA3 controls are crud.

If I truly want nostalgia I’m going to have to find an old CRT TV and pull the PS2 out of deep storage. And you know, I bet it would be disappointing.

Last edited:
The rain looks like some kind of awful Instagram filter they just threw over your screen. :scared:
Is that...screenspace rain that they've done? 😲

The game has a 0.5/10 user score on metacritic based on nearly 3,000 reviews. I think that score is totally reasonable for the effort of this release. I'm almost certain that Grove Street Games outsourced the updated art/texture work to the absolute lowest bidder they could find in the entire world. I find it hard to believe the bonkers spelling errors would be the result of a native English speaker...

Is that...screenspace rain that they've done? 😲

The game has a 0.5/10 user score on metacritic based on nearly 3,000 reviews. I think that score is totally reasonable for the effort of this release. I'm almost certain that Grove Street Games outsourced the updated art/texture work to the absolute lowest bidder they could find in the entire world. I find it hard to believe the bonkers spelling errors would be the result of a native English speaker...
I believe they said they did it with OCR, which would explain it. Why they didn't manually check the OCR output as any professional would do is another question...

I believe they said they did it with OCR, which would explain it. Why they didn't manually check the OCR output as any professional would do is another question...
I'm guessing Rockstar gave GSG a shoestring budget and a ridiculous schedule and figured that whatever they were able to produce would be good enough if it had the GTA brand on it. GSG apparently then outsourced most of the labor to India (per the game credits, this isn't just speculation) and there was probably no formal QA/QC process (or at least no time to implement it) to go over the work done. I would love to know the project budget to projected revenue ratio of this scheme. I bet you they tried to do this whole project for like $50k USD (that would get you 10 full time software devs in Mumbai for 6-8 months, shockingly) and were hoping for gross revenue of upwards of $50m.

I'm guessing Rockstar gave GSG a shoestring budget and a ridiculous schedule and figured that whatever they were able to produce would be good enough if it had the GTA brand on it. GSG apparently then outsourced most of the labor to India (per the game credits, this isn't just speculation) and there was probably no formal QA/QC process (or at least no time to implement it) to go over the work done. I would love to know the project budget to projected revenue ratio of this scheme. I bet you they tried to do this whole project for like $50k USD (that would get you 10 full time software devs in Mumbai for 6-8 months, shockingly) and were hoping for gross revenue of upwards of $50m.
Wouldn't be surprising at all. There is absolutely no excuse given their huge size.

Looks horrible. For all the years gone by, they could have just made a map to connect all three locations. Make it look like GTAV. Have the supporting characters, in all the games, be the main characters.

Seriously, bad business.

Looks horrible. For all the years gone by, they could have just made a map to connect all three locations. Make it look like GTAV. Have the supporting characters, in all the games, be the main characters.

Seriously, bad business.
Going to point out that these remaster's were made by a relatively small studio (I don't know the exact number but I've heard <20 people being thrown around) that has basically nothing to do with the rest of R* or their mainline titles, just ports of their older games. Obviously that doesn't excuse the dumpster fire that this has been, but it should be pretty obvious that some of the more "grand" ideas that some people are suggesting are not within their capabilities.

Could they get the main studios to work on these? Sure, but that means more time that you're gonna be waiting for GTA IV.

Last edited:

...can't sleep, CJ wll eat me...

Jesus christ.

Going to point out that these remaster's were made by a relatively small studio (I don't know the exact number but I've heard <20 people being thrown around) that has basically nothing to do with the rest of R* or their mainline titles, just ports of their older games. Obviously that doesn't excuse the dumpster fire that this has been, but it should be pretty obvious that some of the more "grand" ideas that some people are suggesting are not within their capabilities.
I think it was John at Digital Foundry that put it best that the way that the collection was developed was basically one long game of telephone. But really, this project was DOA from the start when they used the mobile versions of the old games, and subsequently bolted it onto UE4.

I don't think Grove Street Games are completely in the wrong, but it certainly doesn't bode well that they made some very bad choices with regards to what they had that they could implement, especially in the gameplay decision front, and offloading most of the work to Indian programmers just adds to those long lines of poor decisions.

Really, this just looks bad for everyone is the best way of putting it. Specifically R*, but GSG aren't exactly blameless in this either.

Speaking of, the Digital Foundry tech review of GTA 3 remastered as mentioned:

Offloading remasters to other studios absolutely makes sense. Most publishers do it. The issue, as already mentioned, is that they gave it to a tiny studio which didn't have the staff numbers required for three huge games like this, and they seemingly wouldn't give them everything required to use the original engine. So Grove Street were essentially forced to work off their mobile ports again, and then shoehorn in a different rendering engine.

If somewhere like Bluepoint had done these, and R* had given them all the required assets and source code, I'm sure they would've turned out excellent. They just would've cost a lot more to make and apparently the hugely cash rich Take Two games which had net income of 400M in 2020 couldn't stretch that budget. Shame.

The only way I'll ever buy another copy of these games is if they do a complete remake from the ground up like Mafia, and do it properly.

Could they get the main studios to work on these? Sure, but that means more time that you're gonna be waiting for GTA IV.
WHat I mean, is this:
... if they do a complete remake from the ground up...and do it properly.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to buy the remastered trilogy afterall. I'll stick to my steam ports that I still have.

Seriously, all you had to do was follow the damn train CJ make the games compatible with modern hardware. Things like this don't happen unless you're actively trying to make the game worse.

As the comments on Reddit say that's a bit misleading, it's a glitch from the originals that doesn't just happen if you wiggle, you have to glitch the crusher.

I'm sure they're eagerly working to cash in on the GTA IV re-release. :sly:

Seriously, all you had to do was follow the damn train CJ make the games compatible with modern hardware. Things like this don't happen unless you're actively trying to make the game worse.

Modders are working on fixing the game :lol:

Back