Grand Valley Highway 1 vs. Real Life [More added Pg. 2]

• Thread starter Yui-san
  • 86 comments
I think the one think that pulls me out of it being an immersive track is how bland the road textures are and how they don’t seem to really be connected to the landscape. Kinda like slot car track being laid through the landscape.
Can you indicate where is this disconnection you said?

I went closely to look at Yui-san's photos (pag 1 & 2) and I can only see brilliance in PD's connection work.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Rome Circuits in the PS(1) era, were You could stop to read information on the expansion of the Roman Empire. Well… You recognized the signs, at least.

Most impressive work - by You and the entire community - uncovering the effort that went into creating GT.

It’s so much more than a car and driving simulator. It’s automotive culture in wich we all have an active role in developing and maintaining.

This OP demonstrates this. Thank You for sharing perspective on the Valley with real world knowlege. This is a big part of what its all about! 👍

Last edited:
This is mesmerising 😲
As a matter of fact I wasn't very fond with the new look of Grand Valley, but after doing a couple races, especially on the counterclockwise GVH1 course, I'm really loving it. Nicely flowing circuit in a breathtaking scenery

All the detail on display here shows how little thought goes into statements I've seen made about PD's original tracks looking like something generic being spit out of a track editor. If anything their original tracks have more interesting details than the real life tracks they've modeled with precision.

Great comparison !! The amount of details is astounding, but I have to admit that I have seen nothing of those details on the few occasions I've lapped this track. To me it seems a lot of time and effort for what ?

And in the meantime, we are waiting since a year a lot of things that do not seem to take so much time to implement (like a decent career mode, more events on many tracks, events for different types of car)

And in the meantime, we are waiting since a year a lot of things that do not seem to take so much time to implement (like a decent career mode, more events on many tracks, events for different types of car)
Your mistake is thinking that any of the things you listed are design priorities for PD. They are not; the game is designed the way it is on purpose. If you don't like it, PD doesn't care. Play something else and go bother people on their forums.

Wrong thread.

A surprising amount of details carried over into the game; PD certainly do their homework.
Though the comparison shows the franchise still has a ways to go for environmental textures.

A surprising amount of details carried over into the game; PD certainly do their homework.
Though the comparison shows the franchise still has a ways to go for environmental textures.
I think custom designed software platforms are holding a lot of devs back. If they made the switch to Unreal 5 for GT8 they could probably achieve a lot more visual realism with a lot less effort.

Honestly I do love this track the more I drive it. It's fun and very pretty. But what bothers me the most is how much they changed my favorite corner of Grand Valley. The long downhill right after the bridge has now become a tight uphill right.

I love the new scenery and track layout changes, however, the one this that is driving me nuts is that they changed the orientation of the track map! :lol: My OCD is kicking in haha. I remember they did the same years ago to Laguna Sega between GT3 and GT4.
But where is the Valley?
I'd argue that there are MORE valleys in this version than the original. I can't remember any definitive valleys standing out on the OG layout

As much as i dont like that they dumped the concept of the original track for this, I have to say that the incredible views alone and now seeing how close they are to real life, made me add the Big Sur to one of the world locations that I want to know(and drive through) in my lifetime.

I'd argue that there are MORE valleys in this version than the original. I can't remember any definitive valleys standing out on the OG layout
I understood the original environment to be just in a big valley...like the track itself is in a flat area but there are hills in almost every direction if you look in the background. It was never all that clear to be honest...and GT1/2 even had a city skyline behind turn 1 that I never really remembered and which didn't appear again after GT2. I suspect they just a chose some geographical features that sounded nice together for the original tracks. Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Grand Valley.

I understood the original environment to be just in a big valley...like the track itself is in a flat area but there are hills in almost every direction if you look in the background. It was never all that clear to be honest...and GT1/2 even had a city skyline behind turn 1 that I never really remembered and which didn't appear again after GT2. I suspect they just a chose some geographical features that sounded nice together for the original tracks. Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Grand Valley.
Thus making everyone's complaints about the "lack of valleys" in the current Grand Valley even more stupid.

Thus making everyone's complaints about the "lack of valleys" in the current Grand Valley even more stupid.
Stupid because you disagree? You can't convince me that Grand Valley is an appropriate name for the new track. In fact its a ridiculous name. I also don't care that it's a dumb name, because the track itself is fine and that's what matters. But the name still doesn't make sense.

Stupid because you disagree? You can't convince me that Grand Valley is an appropriate name for the new track. In fact its a ridiculous name. I also don't care that it's a dumb name, because the track itself is fine and that's what matters. But the name still doesn't make sense.
There are several valleys present in the current Grand Valley map. Whether or you you consider them "grand" is a matter of perspective; people have been complaining about the "lack of valleys" which is factually false.

Last edited:
We were having this discussion in the other GVH1 thread.

I suspect the name Grand Valley Highway 1 name is based on the real life California Highway 1 as it passes through the Big Sur Valley

Last edited:
This track is for me only one that works good in both direction, other reverse layouts are just wrong to me, but this just works because of many details in both directions.

This is awesome! Great work, @Yui-san.

nacimiento-jpg.1233192

I'll even forgive the Nacimiento Road in Clearview font instead of FHWA Highway Gothic.

Caltrans does not use that font. Which is an even more puzzling choice since FHWA is "free" and Clearview is a paid font, though it could be a really good knockoff.

(Ok, I'll stop being That Guy. No, the other one.)

Last edited:
Back