Graphics Opinion?

• Thread starter MegaJoshh
  • 14 comments
Australia
Australia - NSW
MegaJoshh-
Hey guys, long time reader. haven't posted since Gran Turismo 5 photo comps were a thing :lol:

Anyway I just want to hear everyone's opinion on the graphics this time around.

In my opinion, I think they've gone backwards in many ways. I play on PC with graphics on max, at 1440P. I've noticed the AI cars look very 'matte' and seem to look very basic, even up close. Has anyone else come across this? I think they've washed it down just so it runs well on the xbox. That's just my opinion.

Here’s my video comparing GTS with Forza 7

I think GTS has great detail and clarity, but Forza is a lot more “cinematic”

I play on PC with graphics on max, at 1440P. I've noticed the AI cars look very 'matte' and seem to look very basic, even up close. Has anyone else come across this? I think they've washed it down just so it runs well on the xbox. That's just my opinion.
You're not really seeing the game at its best. The cars look a lot shinier to me in 4K. I don't think the Xbox One X version will be washed down.

Here’s my video comparing GTS with Forza 7
We already have a comparison thread here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/fm7-vs-pcars-2-vs-gt-sport.357007/

Last edited:
Has anyone tried running 4K on a standard HD PC monitor? I noticed when I bumped it to ultra it set it to 4K. Looking at the usage figures on my RX580 I could probably get a good frame rate with it.

I personally think that the game has beautiful graphics. Especially Prague at sunset was very impressive to me as well as the fact that the game is running at 60fps (and looks somewhat better than also beautiful looking Horizon 3 which is running at only 30fps) I'm playing on "just" One S.

The graphics look very good to me. My only issues with them are 1: some tracks the shadows are to dark making it hard to see the road and 2: after several laps on some tracks the graphics do no draw properly and can cause major issues.

Edit: I was just playing around with the graphics options hoping that lowering the settings may stop the draw issues I have saw in some of the longer races. Anyway I went in and manually set several options, turning some off and setting some to medium then in the first race I ran I noticed what the OP is talking about. The AI cars had a matte finish on them. This was not the case before I manually set the video options.

Last edited:
This is what I'm talking about here, have a look at the cars I'm up against, they all seem to be very non-shiny haha. They can't all be using matte paint :haha:
Untitled by Joshua West, on Flickr

Last edited:
The new weather effects look stunning under the right circumstances. Everything else looks a bit low-budget compared to FM6, especially cars when the skies are overcast. It's actually starting to irritate me more than I though it would to begin with. A car game where the weather looks better than the cars and tracks doesn't have smart priorities.

I hope it's not a compromise to accommodate a 60 PFS 4K experience. I'd rather have graphical punch at 1080p than 4K with graphical inconsistency. For now we can hope it's a bug with the graphics.

When you guys say maxxed out do you mean you went in and manually changed all of the video options to their highest settings?

I was set to everything on dynamic before I had not noticed any ai car which was not shiny. This morning when I manually set everything, turning a lot of it down [no idea what they were set to before but I set some to med, some to off and some to high] then I noticed in the very first race that the cars right in front of me were very dull, yet I could see a black car up ahead that appeared to be shiny. There was a blue one, and orange one and a yellow one though that all looked like a matte finish.

Hey guys, long time reader. haven't posted since Gran Turismo 5 photo comps were a thing :lol:

Anyway I just want to hear everyone's opinion on the graphics this time around.

In my opinion, I think they've gone backwards in many ways. I play on PC with graphics on max, at 1440P. I've noticed the AI cars look very 'matte' and seem to look very basic, even up close. Has anyone else come across this? I think they've washed it down just so it runs well on the xbox. That's just my opinion.

I wasn't too impressed to be honest. FM6 set a pretty high benchmark. So did 5 now that I think about it.

For staring at your car in the garage / Forza Vista I would say FM5 still wins hands down. For racing out on track some of the Forza 7 lighting / atmosphere effects are drop dead gorgeous (the Focus RS RX event with Ken Block at Long Beach is my favorite one). But some parts of the graphics have gone backwards (like tree textures). I think I have found an all-time low as well, on Hockenheim GP during daylight go to the outside of the last turn and look at the sand there (close to the start of the drag strip). That sand is so low res textures.... seriously a big insult to the rest of the graphics IMO.

All things combined IMO it still looks better than previous FM titles but for me lighting and atmosphere mean a lot more than pure polygon counts and textures.

Back